The Official Coldplay Sucked Thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Official Coldplay Sucked Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
It's sort of bizarre that someone would praise Coldplay while calling Beyonce a media creation, when she's much more talented than they are. Coldplay seem tailor made for playing corporate outings. For every hit they have there's an indie band somewhere playing the original version. The ideal band for people who think that Bono just isn't quite insufferable enough.

Leaving aside how one feels about U2, at least they have some serious talent, and the catalog to prove it, to fall back on.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
You've got as good a shot as Wilco does at doing the Super Bowl half time show. That's not to say they're not a great band.

It's sort of bizarre that someone would praise Coldplay while calling Beyonce a media creation, when she's much more talented than they are. Coldplay seem tailor made for playing corporate outings. For every hit they have there's an indie band somewhere playing the original version. The ideal band for people who think that Bono just isn't quite insufferable enough.
Beyonce is more talented in terms of what, looking pretty and shaking her ass? Don't get me wrong, she can sing and she's entertaining to watch, but Coldplay are much more talented songwriters in terms of their earlier work.
Don't judge a band off of the same hits that are played over and over on the radio (especially the songs performed at the half time show).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Beyonce is more talented in terms of what, looking pretty and shaking her ass? Don't get me wrong, she can sing and she's entertaining to watch, but Coldplay are much more talented songwriters in terms of their earlier work.
Don't judge a band off of the same hits that are played over and over on the radio (especially the songs performed at the half time show).

Guess it depends how you define talent. Beyonce is a performer, first and foremost. That's her job. She's become an icon because of it.

Reaction Score

I'm familiar with Coldplay, including their early work. I think they make great music for cell phone commercials. People are free to disagree.

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
Cold Play showed remarkably small hands under the basket; Beyonce' needs to work on her footwork, particularly when moving to the left; and Bruno Mars displayed a disconcerting lack of handle for a guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I suspect that Bruno is the most talented of the "acts" on display yesterday, although he showed zero talent in what he actually did. It looked like a cheesy music video. So did Beyonce. Coldplay was bland and adequate, as usual, but on a day when bland and adequate was better than what the others offered...so annoying that I would rather watch people torture puppies.

U2 was very good and there have been a few others over the years. I think the NFL is trying too hard to be PC in selecting these acts. Pick a band, one band, and let them actually play.

Reaction Score
Drugs have singlehandedly produced some of the best music of all time. Let's leave drugs out of this.
Indeed. People seem to ignore the fact that the Beatles were hip deep in them for quite some time.

Reaction Score
I think if they were lip-syncing, the sound would have been better. They never learned how to adjust for the crowd noise.
Yeah. For me, music is about 90% sound, 10% performance. The sound for the entire halftime show sucked BALLS. And they really made no effort that I could detect to improve it. Why not just have the crowd sing the songs if that's what you're going for ? Horrendous.

I couldn't really offer an opinion on Coldplay, Beyonce, or Bruno Mars because I couldn't really hear them. Which is kinda the point with a musical performance.

Reaction Score

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Bruno Mars should do every halftime show by himself from now on, he's the best at this stuff since Michael Jackson.
Not a fan of Bruno Mars. My thought last night was you easily could have substituted Morris Day and the Time doing Jungle Love and it would have been exactly the same, hair and beat.
Since it was #50, I was hoping for something cross generational like a group from the 60's/70's, someone from the 80's/90's and a current act. Instead, in my grouchy 48 year old man opinion, I got 3 steaming piles of crap. Not all that dis-similar from the quality of the game itself.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Grammy's are not a joke.
The year Jethro Tull got the award for Best Hard Rock/Metal Performance Vocal or Instrumental is the year the Grammy's became a full fledged joke. They're of the same quality as the folks that bring you your RnR HOF nominations.

Reaction Score
His lip sync was a solid 5 seconds off though
Hey I posted before the halftime show yesterday. Bruno Mars halftime performance a few years ago was great. I don't really like any current pop music but this guy does it better than anyone else currently. Heard him perform live before without lip synching and he sounded better than in the studio, not sure why he was lip synching last night.

tdrink

Pessimistic idealist
Reaction Score
Yeah. For me, music is about 90% sound, 10% performance. The sound for the entire halftime show sucked BALLS. And they really made no effort that I could detect to improve it. Why not just have the crowd sing the songs if that's what you're going for ? Horrendous.

I couldn't really offer an opinion on Coldplay, Beyonce, or Bruno Mars because I couldn't really hear them. Which is kinda the point with a musical performance.

Musical performances used to be about music. Now they are more about dancing (as evidenced by the dance off.) Playing an instrument apparently makes a musician completely irrelevant.

I grew up listening to punk and death metal. I didn't think there was any music my kids would listen to that would offend me, but today's pop has managed to do it by completely de-emphasizing music.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Musical performances used to be about music. Now they are more about dancing (as evidenced by the dance off.) Playing an instrument apparently makes a musician completely irrelevant.

I grew up listening to punk and death metal. I didn't think there was any music my kids would listen to that would offend me, but today's pop has managed to do it by completely de-emphasizing music.

And or Beyoncé making political points and anti law enforcement comments
Pitiful

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I saw Wilco last week. Incredible, they should headline next year.
In New Haven? Great show.

Then again, I've never seen a bad Wilco show.

The "problem" with the SB halftime is that you only have 12 minutes of performance time, so you don't have time to warm up and hit your peak. And it's supposed to be a spectacle. The only performer I know of in recent times who was able to pull off a good SB performance where the band itself is the spectacle was Bruce, and he hit the ground running like he was in mid-show form.

I love Wilco--they're probably my favorite "new" band of the last 20 years. But Tweedy ain't a performer like Bruce. Few are.

Reaction Score
The "problem" is that the Super Bowl is meant to entertain a houseful of people. The people interested in the football game itself want a halftime show with some old codger like Bruce Springsteen or Tom Petty. Or some band like Wilco that nobody knows anything about.

The people who are there for the commercials, the SB pool squares and sharing buffalo chicken dip recipes want exactly the halftime show they got 2 days ago.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
The game was in San Francisco
I can't believe they didn't have Dead and Company do the halftime show
I'm being serious but then again it's not that kind of world anymore
Beyonce is more exciting and talented - yeah right

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Yeah, 60 minutes of St. Stephen >Dark Star... That would go over well.
I cannot recall when it happened, (1992?) but Bobby, Jerry, and Phil did the national anthem for the season opener of the Ess Giants. Not bad rendition either.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score

Because they're not looking to cater to old white guys with the halftime show?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yeah, 60 minutes of St. Stephen >Dark Star... That would go over well.
I cannot recall when it happened, (1992?) but Bobby, Jerry, and Phil did the national anthem for the season opener of the Ess Giants. Not bad rendition either.

Bobby, Jerry and Vince. Not Phil. Phil is a very limited singer. He can be effective in very low harmony and on a couple of his own tunes, but yeah, he cant sing.

Which reminds me. Here is my IT computer security warning of the day:

Many people are receiving emails with the Subject: "Phil Lesh singing eyes of the world.mp3"

Do not open this email.

Because it actually DOES contain Phil Lesh singing Eyes of the World.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom