The Next Head Coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kiffin wouldn't take the UConn job. He'd sit a year out and get another chance at a BCS school. If the Big East hadn't folded, he might've considered it but he's not going to UConn for 1.5-1.8 million dollars which is what UConn is going to be able to afford.

Jim Tressel and Petrino would laugh at UConn also. And really UConn shouldn't want that. They brought in a coaching reject when they brought in Pasqualoni. Will it be splash and bring in some more casual fans? Sure. But odds are if they couldn't win, or were fired for NCAA violations at a BCS school then they aren't going to be doing much better at UConn.

UConn realistically can, and should try to get a MAC level coach like Frank Solich from Ohio, or a top FCS coach like Willie Fritz from Sam Houston State or Bobby Wilder from Old Dominion. If not then get a top assistant from a BCS school.

Reaction Score
Right now I don't have any candidates in mind outside of Kiffin. I do think we need to get out of the mindset that there has to be ties to the East or Northeast. That is not where football is king. I'm saying it should be a young coordinator from one of the power conferences notably the SEC that would want to make a mark then move on to a more established program. Having a coach with ties to those areas would be an improvement. There are players in those areas that aren't good enough for the top programs but could start here. They'd still be better than the pool we're going after.

Essentially accept the fact that UCONN will be a stepping stone school. It's not going to be like the basketball programs where coaching longevity is norm. The whole UCONN athletic program will hinge on this next decision.

He sucked at UT and he sucked at USC. Plus he is a man of questionable integrity.

Reaction Score
Give Kragthorpe a call. He can't possibly make your program any worse, I can promise you that.

Reaction Score
My top 3:

Chad Morris- OC at Clemson
Pete Lembo- HC at Ball St
Mark Hudspeth- HC at ULL

Reaction Score
My top 3:

Chad Morris- OC at Clemson
Pete Lembo- HC at Ball St
Mark Hudspeth- HC at ULL

I have a feeling Morris is going to get a far better gig. Great offensive mind, should get BCS head coaching offers.

Reaction Score
Possibly someone from one of the four 0-4 NFL teams...the Giants or Steelers or the Bucs or the Jaguars.

Reaction Score
You mean Kevin Gilbride isn't sanctioned by Larry McHugh and the CT High School Coaches Association? :rolleyes:

He would be... But even scarier is that Kevin replaced George DeLeone as head coach @ Southern CT - and GDL actually coached KG @ SCSU.

Reaction Score
The Buffalo coach could very well end up a candidate if they finish near the top of a tough MAC conference. Warde obviously likes him. Right now I would prefer the Ball State coach, the Toledo coach, the Northern Illinois coach or the Bowling Green coach.

Reaction Score
The Buffalo coach could very well end up a candidate if they finish near the top of a tough MAC conference. Warde obviously likes him. Right now I would prefer the Ball State coach, the Toledo coach, the Northern Illinois coach or the Bowling Green coach.
Yes to the Northern Illinois HC. He's got his kids ballin on offense

Reaction Score

Rod Carey has been the coach for 5 games at Northern Illinois, I'd want some more experience than that. Matt Campbell only has a year and a half at Toledo, I'd like to see him with his own players before I gave him big money. Dave Clawson at Bowling Green is a .500 career coach so I don't know why you want him. Pete Lembo is at least on his third year, but he's nothing too special, only 19-11 and lost his only bowl game. If he can finish the season in the MAC title hunt I wouldn't mind giving him an interview.

Reaction Score
Petrino. We need a public indication that we are serious about football. Manual makes the decision and that gives Herbst 'cover'.

You just used "Petrino" and "serious about football" in the same sentence. I'm calling foul on that.
The only things that man would be serious about is filching us out of our money, chasing Emily Noonan all over campus and then eventually self-destructing in a blaze of poontang and scandal.

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
You just used "Petrino" and "serious about football" in the same sentence. I'm calling foul on that.
The only things that man would be serious about is filching us out of our money, chasing Emily Noonan all over campus and then eventually self-destructing in a blaze of poontang and scandal.

And to top it all off, people seem to think that hiring Petrino after one year at WKU, would stay for more than one season at UConn? I can see getting a guy who would stay for three years and move up but why in hell would we want to hire a guy who would literally be sending out his résumé the day after he was hired?

Reaction Score
I want a coach who first and foremost can evaluate talent. Next, I want the staff to focus recruiting on Florida, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. Next would be NJ, followed by New England. The blue chip New England kids will come when we win. The amount of talent in Florida is ridiculous.

I don't care what offense or defense the next head coach currently runs. I want a master motivator, and a coach who will promote this program. And I want him to assemble an enthusiastic, hungry staff.
I like the gist of your post but I think NY/NJ/NE and out would be preferable to Ohio/Penn/Fla in because every school that can't recruit there home area generally can't get much better further away(see Grob's Cuse)convincing kids this is the place to be!Pick up the kids in your footprint(who are worthy)then cherrypick Fla and Ohio tho until were in the B1G(hopefully) Ohio will be a hard sell cause too many SEC/B1G/ACC and even MAC schools have been combing OH recently(see Kentucky)!The next coach has to be a top salesman/recruiter and motivater like in the mold of Addazio/Schiano/Kelly/Jones!Where the heck does Cinncy keep finding top coaches?

Reaction Score
Brent Venables
Why he doesn't already have a HC job with his resume boggles the mind.
Knows the hot recruiting areas in the Deep South & Texas.
Would bring UConn's defense back on-line in a heartbeat.
If Warde REALLY is a "Rock Star" this is the star type that he should be shooting for.

Reaction Score
I read somewhere in a CFB survey that Quinn was making 2.5 mil at Buffalo.

Reaction Score
Honestly I think we need a Jersey Guy. That state is loaded with talent, and our best bet for getting 3 stars and dare I say a 4 Star, would be from that state. No way in hell anyone 4 Star Florida Recruit I going to consider UCONN, I hate to say it I just don't see that happening. But if we can push in that area, I think we will have success.
Number 1 on my List

Raheem Morris, former Tampa Bay Head Coach, I know he got canned, but I see a ton of potential in this guy.

Reaction Score
I am really warming up to the idea of bringing back Joe Moorhead as HC.
Too big a jump. The Patriot League is like a 2nd tier D1AA conference. And Fordham actually has an advantage in that they started giving football scholarships in 2010. The rest of the Patriot just started this year. So it is really hard to evaluate what he is doing. I wouldn't mind bringing him back as Offensive coordinator, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom