The Next Head Coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
What's Jim Tressel's situation? I guarantee they would never hire him, but out of curiosity, is he still banned or no?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What's Jim Tressel's situation? I guarantee they would never hire him, but out of curiosity, is he still banned or no?

Pretty sure he has a show clause. Or whatever the equivalent is.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I would rather hire Jim Tressel and be assured of no bowl appearances until 2017 than hire Kiffin. At least with Tressel, I'd be confident that he can recruit and win with what he recruits. Kiffin can not recruit at USC and he can't coach either. I'd sign up for 10-2 for a few seasons but no bowl games under Tressel, just to show the rest of the country that UCONN cares about football and is willing to attract top assets to achieve winning. And who knows, maybe UCONN keeps raising him so that he stays aboard long after the 2017 season as a thank you for giving him a chance when nobody would hire him.

Reaction Score
Here is what I posted in the thread " I want Tressel":

His 5 year show clause is a HUGE stumbling block! See below:

These are paragraphs taken from this USA today article:
http://content.usatoday.com/communi...e-ncaa-sanctions-jim-tressel-terrelle-pryor/1

"Former coach Jim Tressel was hit with a show-cause penalty of five years for committing violations, including lying to the NCAA and failing to report violations. Tressel's punishment mirrors the case of former Tennessee basketball coach Bruce Pearl, who admitted lying to NCAA investigators. Pearl received a three-year sanction. The ban could effectively eliminate Tressel from coaching until the 2017 season. If another school wants to hire Tressel before the penalty expires, it must go before the NCAA committee on infractions to argue its case."

Dooley

Reaction Score

Slow clause until 2017 methinks. UCONN would have to meet with the NCAA and explain why he is their man. Probably would come with sanctions. But I just posted above that I'd rather have that baggage than hire Kiffin.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Pretty sure he has a show clause. Or whatever the equivalent is.

I just read up on the show cause. I misinterpreted the penalty. You can hire someone who is facing this, but you must "show cause" to the NCAA as to why he's fit to coach.

Also you can apparently get penalized for simply hiring someone under this penalty.

With our NCAA luck, I don't like our chances on either front.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Slow clause until 2017 methinks. UCONN would have to meet with the NCAA and explain why he is their man. Probably would come with sanctions. But I just posted above that I'd rather have that baggage than hire Kiffin.

So you're telling me that UConn is going to need the NCAA to cut us some slack....this should be a piece of cake!!! ;)

Dooley

Reaction Score
No question that hiring Tressel would be a huge gamble but one that could show the pompous FSU types that UCONN will hire top coaches. Besides, if the NCAA dissolves in the next few years anyway, those sanctions would go away with it. I'm not saying he's my first choice, but he's certainly not my last choice. Not any more, after this season.

Dooley

Reaction Score
So you're telling me that UConn is going to need the NCAA to cut us some slack....this should be a piece of cake!!! ;)

I know, huh? Maybe we can pretend to be UNC? You can't spell UCONN without a UNC and, as the NCAA ruled, fraud is okay as long as it is done at UNC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I just read up on the show cause. I misinterpreted the penalty. You can hire someone who is facing this, but you must "show cause" to the NCAA as to why he's fit to coach.

Also you can apparently get penalized for simply hiring someone under this penalty.

With our NCAA luck, I don't like our chances on either front.

I say go all in. Think the U.

Hire Tressel and debut our new running back: Caurice Marlett.

Reaction Score
Wondering if James Coley would consider us if offered. Offensive Coordinator for Miami, previously qb coach at Florida State. Not that high profile yet, this is his first year as an OC. Young guy, lots of ties to the state of Florida (was an assistant at a huge Florida high school program). He is young. I don't like that he has no previous head coaching experience, but I like his resume.

Love that he was the recruiting coordinator at FSU in 2008 and 2009, and was voted top recruiter in the ACC in 2010.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I say go all in. Think the U.

Hire Tressel and debut our new running back: Caurice Marlett.

Hahaha, coincidentally my buddy who is a big rugby fan just told me the other day that apparently Clarett is a rugby star now.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Hahaha, coincidentally my buddy who is a big rugby fan just told me the other day that apparently Clarett is a rugby star now.

I'm pretty sure he was begging for an NFL camp invite on twitter recently.

Reaction Score
I have no idea why people think Kiffin is a good move. Did you not tire of watching him fail at USC with all the talent in the world?

Like he didn't play in a league with teams that has all the talent in the world too. 28-15 isn't that bad playing against teams like Stanford, Cal, Washington, Oregon etc... Paul is 10-18 against teams like Western Michigan, Towson, Buffalo, Temple etc... So I would prefer Kiffin any day, plus he can recruit. Look at how arrogant and Confident Mayweather is and he's 45-0 I wouldn't mind a confident young coach like Kiffin, he can succeed in a conference like the "American" and he's a big name in the college world can be beneficial for us in CR.

Reaction Score
Like he didn't play in a league with teams that has all the talent in the world too. 28-15 isn't that bad playing against teams like Stanford, Cal, Washington, Oregon etc... Paul is 10-18 against teams like Western Michigan, Towson, Buffalo, Temple etc... So I would prefer Kiffin any day, plus he can recruit. Look at how arrogant and Confident Mayweather is and he's 45-0 I wouldn't mind a confident young coach like Kiffin, he can succeed in a conference like the "American" and he's a big name in the college world can be beneficial for us in CR.

No, he really can't recruit. And he can't coach.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I'm not a 'flamer' but doubt Petrino would come here. He wants platforms he can get to the next level with. There will be other jobs that aren't as difficult with similar paydays. He'll also require nearly no buy out. Can't see our conservative leadership being aggressive.

Reaction Score
No, he was a wreck in Oakland, in Tennessee, and at USC. He has never own, anywhere, at any level.

Lane Kiffin was successful in his career before

"Kiffin began working with the University of Southern California (USC) staff during the 2001 season and became the wide receivers coach prior to the 2002 season. For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 yards per game, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator, an 88% win percentage; however, in June 2010 the NCAA retroactively declared Reggie Bush ineligible for the entire 2005 season, and forced USC to vacate all of its 2005 wins. Litigation from former coach Todd McNair to overturn those vacancies is still ongoing."

I don't see why people say he's ignorant like if a lot of you guys are so innocent.. lol smh I believe he can succeed here

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
NCAA is in no position to stop one of it's members from hiring Tressel at this point. For UCONN to ask would as least show some guts.

Also a bit wary of hot recruiters who are recruiting to top tier names, like FSU. Not a disqualifer, but wary.

No on Petrino, too much of a scumbag. This person is still a face of the University, and no lying to the fraudsters NCAA doesn't count.

Would be interested in some of the high profile guys not currently holding a job. Might give us a leg up on next season and repairing the damage. The UCONN job is not what it was three years ago. Any coach will have one foot out the door the day he arrives, but we may get lucky. Frank Solich was at Ohio a long time, but if it's going to be a mutally beneficial 4-6 year relationship, I'd sign for that right now.

Reaction Score
Flamer. We can pay 3 times what WKU pays.

My second grade daughter is a baby genius and she was just admitted to UL. We decided against it, it was a lateral move at best.
Petrino isn't chasing dollar signs at this point. He's not going to a program that has shown 0 commitment to moving up in the college football landscape. WKU may not be a great job but it's no worse than UConn right now.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yes there is. There are only so many HC jobs and a lot of coordinators / assistants out there. You identify those younger guys who can perform at that high level and also have good character.
When you down to you last buck it's best not spend it playing craps.

Reaction Score
O
Lane Kiffin was successful in his career before

"Kiffin began working with the University of Southern California (USC) staff during the 2001 season and became the wide receivers coach prior to the 2002 season. For the 2004 season, he added the duties of passing game coordinator, and he was promoted to offensive coordinator for the 2005 season after Norm Chow left USC for the same position with the NFL's Tennessee Titans. Kiffin also took the reins as recruiting coordinator that year. Along with these duties, Kiffin continued as the wide receivers coach. Under Kiffin in 2005 the USC offense produced numerous school records, averaging 49.1 points and 579 yards per game and becoming the first in NCAA history to have a 3,000 yard passer (Matt Leinart), two 1,000 yard rushers (Reggie Bush and LenDale White), and a 1,000 yard receiver (Dwayne Jarrett). Steve Smith fell a few yards of also surpassing 1,000 yards in receiving. In Kiffin’s three years as recruiting coordinator at USC, the Trojans had the No. 1 ranked recruiting class in college football every year. The Trojans finished first in the Pac-10 in passing efficiency by averaging 142.8 yards per game, produced two, 1,000-yard receivers – Dwayne Jarrett (1,105) and Steve Smith (1,083) – and a 3,000-yard passer John David Booty, with 3,347 yards. The team produced top 20 statistics in most NCAA offensive categories and concluded with a 32–18 win over the then #3 ranked team the University of Michigan in the Rose Bowl.
Kiffin helped guide USC to a 23–3 win-loss record during his tenure as offensive coordinator, an 88% win percentage; however, in June 2010 the NCAA retroactively declared Reggie Bush ineligible for the entire 2005 season, and forced USC to vacate all of its 2005 wins. Litigation from former coach Todd McNair to overturn those vacancies is still ongoing."

I don't see why people say he's ignorant like if a lot of you guys are so innocent.. lol smh I believe he can succeed here
ok wiki. Care to share your own opinions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom