The Next Head Coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

The Next Head Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agreed, but we'll never see that happen. You're talking about Big 5 conference money here, something I cannot believe UCONN will pony up to get the best quality coach available on the market. Kiffin was making 2.6 mil for the 2011 season. The idea that UCONN would pay anybody remotely close to that is a pipe dream, I'm afraid.

I hope you guys aren't serious, are you?

Pasqualoni gets 1.7 million right now. Yup, 1.7 million to destroy a program. But out of all of the 120 coaches in 1-A football, only 30 are at or above 2.5 million. By my count 35 schools in the "Big 5" are paying less:

http://www.coacheshotseat.com/SalariesContracts.htm

So the ideas that, 1) we don't pay anybody remotely close to that, or 2) that we would require that, are both wrong...

Reaction Score
I won't buy tickets if we hire Kiffin.

Parasitism is a non-mutual relationship where one organism, the parasite, benefits at the expense of the other, the host (Raiders, Tennessee, USC).

We can do much better.

Reaction Score
I like the assistant route. No name coach worth a damn will come here. Get a young hungry guy who can recruit. I think we need to recruit better in New England like Calhoun did in Bball before we rely on other regions.

Reaction Score
I like the assistant route. No name coach worth a damn will come here. Get a young hungry guy who can recruit. I think we need to recruit better in New England like Calhoun did in Bball before we rely on other regions.

The hotbed of New England - yes lets recruit the hell out of Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, RI, CT and Mass.

You win and the best kids from the area will want to stay home plain and simple.

Reaction Score
Somehow a worse opinion than bet the house on UConn against Buffalo. Impressive.

Disagree - Kiffin instantly regenerizes not only the fanbase, but the players as well, not to mention generate a buzz around the program. Would love this hire. Obviously you don't, so that is all well and good. Your opinion.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Disagree - Kiffin instantly regenerizes not only the fanbase, but the players as well, not to mention generate a buzz around the program. Would love this hire. Obviously you don't, so that is all well and good. Your opinion.

Kiffin only reenergizes fools who don't understand how bad a coach he is. He's Charlie Weis with an overrated wife.

He's already driven two programs into the ground while being a complete about it. I'm sure third times a charm!

Reaction Score
Kiffin only reenergizes fools who don't understand how bad a coach he is. He's Charlie Weis with an overrated wife.

He's already driven two programs into the ground while being a complete about it. I'm sure third times a charm!

Again - opinion. I'm sure every other coach out there would be a success at a program that has had a reduction in scholarships than he had. Not a level playing field so one can assume they would not be as successful at USC.

Reaction Score

Didn't he come with his DC Monte Kiffen who has since left.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Again - opinion. I'm sure every other coach out there would be a success at a program that has had a reduction in scholarships than he had. Not a level playing field so one can assume they would not be as successful at USC.

How is it opinion? Exactly where has Kiffin been in charge and he has been successful? He has done nothing positive as a leader at Oakland, tn, or USC. That isn't opinion, it is fact.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

He got fired today because their recruiting class sucks. I wonder why that is? Oh wait it's because he's a world class a**hole who can't coach for .

Yeah it's an opinion. An actual informed opinion - not wide eyed nonsense about concepts like reenergizing.

He has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt he isn't an acceptable FBS coach. There is not a single piece of evidence to the contrary.

Reaction Score
He got fired today because their recruiting class sucks. I wonder why that is? Oh wait it's because he's a world class a**hole who can't coach for .

Yeah it's an opinion. An actual informed opinion - not wide eyed nonsense about concepts like reenergizing.

He has proven beyond the shadow of a doubt he isn't an acceptable FBS coach. There is not a single piece of evidence to the contrary.

He was in Tennessee for one season and they actually had a decent year. Go look at the schedule and the teams they played. He took a 5-7 team and went 7-5 and went to a bowl game. Lost 12-10 to No.2 Alabama on the road, lost by only 10 to at the time No.1 Florida on the road. He left Tennessee after one season in a bad way, but calling his job at Tennessee a disaster (the on field coaching), is just plain wrong.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but we'll never see that happen. You're talking about Big 5 conference money here, something I cannot believe UCONN will pony up to get the best quality coach available on the market. Kiffin was making 2.6 mil for the 2011 season. The idea that UCONN would pay anybody remotely close to that is a pipe dream, I'm afraid.

I hope you're wrong. the next hire is going to be very telling about where Uconn thinks it belongs in CR. If uconn wants to be in a big boy conference, it needs a big boy coach. if it can pay $1.6M to lose, $2M to win the AAC and get into the BIG or ACC seems like a good value.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
There are 44 Universities that have won a conference FB title that resulted in a BCS bowl bid (since 1998)

Tennessee Alabama Florida LSU Georgia Auburn

Texas A&M Nebraska Oklahoma Colorado Kansas State Texas

Illinois Michigan Ohio State Wisconsin Penn State Iowa Purdue

Florida State Clemson Virginia Tech Georgia Tech Wake Forest Maryland

Stanford Oregon USC Washington State Oregon State Washington UCLA

Syracuse Miami Pittsburgh West Virginia Louisville Cincinnati Connecticut

Notre Dame Boise State Hawai'i Utah NIU

Of those 44, 17 have also made an NCAA Final Four in that time period (since 1998)

Stanford UCLA
Wisconsin Illinois Ohio State Michigan
Maryland Georgia Tech
Oklahoma Texas
LSU Florida
West Virginia Connecticut Louisville Syracuse
Utah

Of those 17, 16 are in the top 150 US Research Universities.

Stanford UCLA
Wisconsin Ohio State Illinois Michigan
Maryland Georgia Tech
Oklahoma Texas
LSU Florida
West Virginia Connecticut Louisville
Utah

These are UConn's Athletic/Academic peer institutions. Warde should remember this when looking for our next FB coach. And by that, I mean get a good one.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I hope you're wrong. the next hire is going to be very telling about where Uconn thinks it belongs in CR. If uconn wants to be in a big boy conference, it needs a big boy coach. if it can pay $1.6M to lose, $2M to win the AAC and get into the BIG or ACC seems like a good value.

So the difference between winning and losing is 400k?

Uggh. Look at my previous post in this very thread for the salary numbers of coaches, and you'll realize just how many P5 teams pay less than 2.5 mil. Bottom line; 1.7million should be getting us a hell of a lot more than 5-7, 5-7, and 0-4 right now...

Reaction Score
I think the mindset in Storrs is "we can be 3-9 and pay $800k for some coordinator on a MAC team because we are never going to be relevent anyways."

That is not a joke. I think that is reality.

Reaction Score
So the difference between winning and losing is 400k?

Uggh. Look at my previous post in this very thread for the salary numbers of coaches, and you'll realize just how many P5 teams pay less than 2.5 mil. Bottom line; 1.7million should be getting us a hell of a lot more than 5-7, 5-7, and 0-4 right now...

yes. says so right in the 'P5 conference' manual.

Reaction Score
This is Connecticut. We are "ruled" by Gov M Susan and a liberal constituentcy, not to mention the Hartford Courant!!! Lane Kiffin has a one in 5 mill chance to be hired in Storrs!!!!!!!!!!!!

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Petrino. We need a public indication that we are serious about football. Manual makes the decision and that gives Herbst 'cover'.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
i agree, but because kiffin is a HORRIBLE coach. HORRIBLE. He couldnt win at Tenn and USC and you think he can win here?! Good lord, PPGDL have made us all dumber.

Reaction Score
Petrino. We need a public indication that we are serious about football. Manual makes the decision and that gives Herbst 'cover'.

Petrino won’t be the next coach. A couch can get away with a lot (Mr. Urban Myer); but, publically lying to the AD and University President is an action that will be remembered by all.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Petrino won’t be the next coach. A couch can get away with a lot (Mr. Urban Myer); but, publically lying to the AD and University President is an action that will be remembered by all.
You know, at this point I just want to win. As long as he isn't 'cheating' athletically or academically, I'm okay with him. He can cleanse himself with an "I made mistakes and learned my lessons" speech and be good to go. There's no way we get that caliber coach without his being damaged.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
You know, at this point I just want to win. As long as he isn't 'cheating' athletically or academically, I'm okay with him. He can cleanse himself with an "I made mistakes and learned my lessons" speech and be good to go. There's no way we get that caliber coach without his being damaged.

I'm with you. So long as I feel the student-athletes are safe (that's right, Mike Leach, I'm talking about YOU!), then bring in whoever the hell can get the job done. Mr. Petrino on line 1, please...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yes there is. There are only so many HC jobs and a lot of coordinators / assistants out there. You identify those younger guys who can perform at that high level and also have good character.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom