The Game Misses Pat Summitt | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Game Misses Pat Summitt

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The overriding point of this article was not to pay tribute to Pat, it was an attack on the character of Geno Auriemma. Of that there is no doubt. A tribute to Pat could have been written without the innuendos and without the quote from Muffet McGraw which, of course, was directed at Geno. I can not say I'm surprised to see this piece; the likelihood that it would be written grew with each national championship Geno has won since Pat retired. Nor am I surprised by the sanctimonious style in which the piece is written. After Notre Dame defeated South Carolina in their semifinal game at the FF, the writer actually announced on twitter -- to @NCAAWomensBKB -- that she had just watched her last NCAA women's game for the season. Ino other words, she was letting NCAA Women's Basketball know that she would not watch UConn win another national championship. Who does something like that?

I have no problem with any tribute that is paid to Pat Summitt and what she meant to women's basketball. I do have a problem with a writer using Pat's unfortunate illness and the anniversary of her retirement to mask what is really an attack by innuendo on the success and character of Geno Auriemma. As JS said, that is a travesty.

Reaction Score
I think you mistake Tennessee fans (who will probably never respect Geno and UConn) for the general world of women's basketball. And Pat was extremely important - until the rise of UConn - in getting Women's Basketball as much recognition as it got in those days. She wasn't the only pioneer, but she was perhaps the greatest pioneer of her era. And the point about showing respect to other coaches, she was friends with them. There is a whole world we as fans don't know about, involving the friendships in the coaching world. And, without saying that Geno isn't (a Tennessee point of view) I think most would agree that Pat was (in general) considered that way by most fans across WBB and most other coaches. Doesn't mean she was perfect (boy, were RU fans pissed about clockgate, for example) but then I tend to think that most coaches with long careers aren't considered smucks by their peers.

Geno does get respect from many and to keep assuming he doesn't is nonsense. If his peers don't think highly of him, exactly how was he elected President of the WBCA? And if he at one time pissed off fan of a variety of programs - how many of those fans have come to appreciate him, his program, and his leadership of USA Basketball?

Yes, late in her career she had a snit, and I don't suspect she liked Geno much to begin with, but at least some of that had to be the beginning of her illness. Was she wrong, yes, 100%. But if that negates her entire career and makes her some kind of "bad person" then I think folks are a bit too judgmental. No one has to like her, but for the most part yes, she was generally praiseworthy.

I would never say that Geno isn't respected that would be nonsense. I just see the praise of Pat as far stronger. Geno is often described as a love him or hate him figure. Pat is and has been and even more so now, looked as a perfect beam of light that never did wrong. Obviously she is an important figure in the game, I just think people think she is owed more than she is (like the sport wouldn't exist without her).

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Someone above posted that a lot of negative crapola about UConn and Geno are "allowed" on the Summitt. This is not true. Far from "allowing" this mierda, Cornelious is one of the abaolute worst perpetrators. When Smokey was the mod, he did allow a lot of it, but Maria is one of, if not THE main offender. Pink elephants, free penthouses, unlimited french fries, handbaggate, you name it. She is beneath contempt. PHS can maybe have a pass for the unwarranted innuendos, on the grounds that her condition was already affecting her behavior when all that went down; maybe. Maria and her vicious cohorts over yonder, no way.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

worth a watch and I think it shows the real Pat and a good look at Gino.

Please spell his name right. Also the real pat???? Please. At least Geno was real in his response. Pat played the media.

Reaction Score
Please spell his name right. Also the real pat???? Please. At least Geno was real in his response. Pat played the media.
sorry din't know it autocorrected. My spellcheck does not recognize Geno. I didn't catch it (obviously I spelled it right on a million other posts). I thought Pat came off like a jerk in the video, and Geno was awesome in his part, not sure what you got out of it but I think we are on the same page.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
After reading these comments, I'm not even going to bother putting my 2cents in....today is Sunday, I'm not even trying to argue. :cool:
Argue away. I'll be happy to engage.

In my mind, I'm a master debater. In my mind.

Reaction Score
Argue away. I'll be happy to engage.

In my mind, I'm a master debater. In my mind.

I honestly would but its a sticky situation that gets my blood pressure on the rise. I'll debate everything under the sun that interest me about women's college basketball but the PatvsGeno conversation...I refuse.

Reaction Score
Articles like this make it extremely hard for both sides to move on. Every time I think a step forward is made, it seems something like this happens and two steps back occur. Was never a member of the Summit and never will be. Not everything you say about "those Orange clad fans" are true for the whole...just as some of the things said about you guys don't apply to the whole either. No one is perfect...not even Pat. Y'all have a blessed day.
No problem here, we've moved on - without TN (Pat's choice). How's that working out for you?

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Tonyc said:
Wow what a bunch of garbage. The lies continue. I would like to write a book too about what isn't going to be in any book.

It's all about her spin... I hope that most sane fans will see through it.

I am surprised that the Washington Post actually printed it without looking into the totality of the details.

Reaction Score
I honestly would but its a sticky situation that gets my blood pressure on the rise. I'll debate everything under the sun that interest me about women's college basketball but the PatvsGeno conversation...I refuse.
Oh, alright.;)

VFLfan

Vol For Life
Reaction Score
No problem here, we've moved on - without TN (Pat's choice). How's that working out for you?

You may have moved on...and I may have as well...in fact many have on both sides..but there are some on both sides that have not. I always try to be civil and give your program respect because that's what it deserves...your dig at our program above is taken with a gain of salt. I can take it. We'll be back...hopefully sooner than later...to challenge you guys again.

Reaction Score
You may have moved on...and I may have as well...but there are some on both sides that have not. I am being civil...your dig at our program above is taken with a gain of salt. I can take it. We'll be back...hopefully sooner than later...to challenge you guys again.
Hopefully. And presumably you can take it - you DO know where you are (and you are very welcome here).

Reaction Score
First, for the record, I am no Pat fan, though wishing her only the best as she copes with an impossible medical situation. That said, it's easy to demonize her for the Maya complaints. Hell, I do it myself. But there is one thing that sticks in my mind that works against the whole Pat-as-evil thing, and I'd just like someone here to tell me whether I imagined it or not.

There was a UConn-TN championship that UConn won and, as I seem to recall, Pat went to the UConn locker room and asked to speak to the team and congratulate them. As much as I disliked her, I thought that was a very classy gesture from someone who certainly did not have to offer it. I remember that at the time, I was very impressed, if grudgingly.

Now my question is this: Did it happen and if so, how come no one ever gives her credit for doing something that IMHO very few coaches would do?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
You may have moved on...and I may have as well...in fact many have on both sides..but there are some on both sides that have not. I always try to be civil and give your program respect because that's what it deserves...your dig at our program above is taken with a gain of salt. I can take it. We'll be back...hopefully sooner than later...to challenge you guys again.

Unfortunately. Pat is (in this thread) often tarred with Ms Cornelius's filthy brush. Marie is the (im)moderator of The Summitt and for many years she has tolerated, even passively encouraged, a steady torrent of vile and despicable posts about Geno and the UConn Huskies. (VolNation is sustaining this tradition of x-rated vitriol.) You surely know that crap would not be permitted here. And by the way, haven't you felt comfortable posting here?

JS

Reaction Score
There was a UConn-TN championship that UConn won and, as I seem to recall, Pat went to the UConn locker room and asked to speak to the team and congratulate them. As much as I disliked her, I thought that was a very classy gesture from someone who certainly did not have to offer it. I remember that at the time, I was very impressed, if grudgingly.

Now my question is this: Did it happen and if so, how come no one ever gives her credit for doing something that IMHO very few coaches would do?
It did happen. It was after TASS + D crushed Tennessee, 79-56, in the 2002 national semifinal game in San Antonio. And it was a very unusual thing to do. So unusual that Geno wasn't sure how to take it.

Excerpt from In Pursuit of Perfection:

She comes into the locker room and tells our guys she admires the way they play the game. She tells them they played like champions.

I'm not around when it happens, so I'm not really sure what context to put it in. People ask me what I think about it, and I don't know what to say. I always wonder when something like that happens. What is the motivation for doing it? Is it for publicity? To gain some kind of edge? I have no idea. I just thought it was a little odd.
Personally, I do think she deserves credit, whether or not she was seeking it. Geez, if every laudatory act were disqualified unless the person doing it was certifiably oblivious to the possibility of getting credit, we wouldn't have much left to admire.

Reaction Score
It did happen. It was after TASS + D crushed Tennessee, 79-56, in the 2002 national semifinal game in San Antonio. And it was a very unusual thing to do. So unusual that Geno wasn't sure how to take it.

Excerpt from In Pursuit of Perfection:

She comes into the locker room and tells our guys she admires the way they play the game. She tells them they played like champions.

I'm not around when it happens, so I'm not really sure what context to put it in. People ask me what I think about it, and I don't know what to say. I always wonder when something like that happens. What is the motivation for doing it? Is it for publicity? To gain some kind of edge? I have no idea. I just thought it was a little odd.
Personally, I do think she deserves credit, whether or not she was seeking it. Geez, if every laudatory act were disqualified unless the person doing it was certifiably oblivious to the possibility of getting credit, we wouldn't have much left to admire.

Yes, this was definitely the Pat Summit we should remember ..... the coach who was capable of doing classy things and carried herself for the most part in exemplary manner

She had an incredible career..... and yes I agree with the premise that the game misses her..... that is Pat at her prime.... "Pat A" .... what she was in her letter years, "Pat B".... was a less likable shadow of what she had been.

As I have said before on this forum, I do not mind if the LV nation hates our program, our success, our coach..... and wants to publicize it.... is he arrogant, an idiot, classless, etc.... and more vile things that our former competitors down south have opined about him.... that is fine.... no harm no foul...... but the untruths keep coming, with nothing to back anything up..... and lies and falsehoods really cross the line , especially for a storied program that (this will sound familiar) is always "classy" and "does things the right way". It is laughable.

Bottom line is, Pat herself always said it is all about "cutting down the nets".... And, after 30 years on the bench, Pat had an incredible 852 wins, and 5 national championships.

Out coach though 30 years has 918 wins and 10 national titles - twice as many - in a much more competitive era.

It is abundantly clear where the bright star of WCBB shines, and I take it in stride when we hear from one of the incessant PHS disciples point to Pat's sainthood.

TN fans are hoping to get to next year's Final Four. We at UConn are aiming for another championship. And I just hope we meet each other in the tournament.

Reaction Score
Yes, this was definitely the Pat Summit we should remember ..... the coach who was capable of doing classy things and carried herself for the most part in exemplary manner

She had an incredible career..... and yes I agree with the premise that the game misses her..... that is Pat at her prime.... "Pat A" .... what she was in her letter years, "Pat B".... was a less likable shadow of what she had been.

As I have said before on this forum, I do not mind if the LV nation hates our program, our success, our coach..... and wants to publicize it.... is he arrogant, an idiot, classless, etc.... and more vile things that our former competitors down south have opined about him.... that is fine.... no harm no foul. but the untruths keep coming, with nothing to back anything up..... and lies and falsehoods really cross the line , especially for a storied program that (this will sound familiar) is always "classy" and "does things the right way". It is laughable.

Bottom line is, Pat herself always said it is all about "cutting down the nets".... And, after 30 years on the bench, Pat had an incredible 852 wins, and 5 national championships.

Out coach though 30 years has 918 wins and 10 national titles - twice as many - in a much more competitive era.

It is abundantly clear where the bright star of WCBB shines, and I take it in stride when we hear from one of the incessant PHS disciples point to Pat's sainthood.

TN fans are hoping to get to next year's Final Four. We at UConn are aiming for another championship. And I just hope we meet each other in the tournament.
8 National Championships

CCinCT

Poster
Reaction Score
Unfortunately. Pat is (in this thread) often tarred with Ms Cornelius's filthy brush. Marie is the (im)moderator of The Summitt and for many years she has tolerated, even passively encouraged, a steady torrent of vile and despicable posts about Geno and the UConn Huskies. (VolNation is sustaining this tradition of x-rated vitriol.) You surely know that crap would not be permitted here. And by the way, haven't you felt comfortable posting here?

Kibitzer is correct - Just about anything goes when it pertains to UCONN. There are a few, I repeat, few sane posters, usually derided by the majority. Tenn has earned their current status. Isn't karma great ?

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Pat was a very tough competitor and usually did a great job at getting her teams ready for the Tournament. She was also extremely "competitive" as a recruiter to the point of once she had established the program of using many over-the-top recruiting tactics especially in her special domain of the South and near Midwest. That some posters still try to proclaim that her 2006 attack on UConn through the NCAA investigation with the help of Maria and the Summitteers was based on Pat's early symptoms of Alzheimer's just amazes me. Right out of the book on Pat unless you are a Vol worshiper who ignores all the smashed clipboards and the aftergame practices following embarrassing losses.

As to Maria and her rule of the Checkerboard asylum for the criminally insane, a visit there was truly a jaw-dropping experience. And unless any UConn fans think that 99% of the invective was aimed at the Huskies and the coach they lovingly described in so many vicious ways and probably most colorfully by the "moderator" Maria, it is worth checking back through the bizarre statements and nasty attacks on Baylor's Brittney Griner who off the court and outside of her school's code represented an identity that was both kind of awkwardly championed by Maria and a band of orange cohorts but also the subject of indefensible comments from the usual Tenn crowd. A very strange mix.

But then again, when it came to anyone but the Lady Vols, the Summitt and to a certain extent now VolNation, much of the comments are indefensible.

Reaction Score
8 National Championships

Our coach in 30 years at Storrs has 10 (ten) national championships.....

In her first 30 years at Tennessee, in a less competitive era, Pat was able to bring home 5 (five) titles.

Half as many. That is the ultimate measure.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Our coach in 30 years at Storrs has 10 (ten) national championships.....

In her first 30 years at Tennessee, in a less competitive era, Pat was able to bring home 5 (five) titles.

Half as many. That is the ultimate measure.
To be accurate, Pat won 6 NCAA titles from 1974-75 through 2003-04, so not half as much. And yes she could have won an AIAW title maybe, but why not start with the NCAA era to keep the nature of the title at least nominally on the same basis? Pat won 8 titles during her 27 or officially 28 years as head of UTenn during the NCAA era. Sure it's a rival coach to Husky fans, but fair is fair.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Look as far as I'm concerned I'd just like to forget all of this. I doubt there was ever a successful coach who didn't stretch the rules. Even Wooden's Bruins were rumored to have a sugar daddy booster who made life very nice for his players.

What sticks in my craw are the posts from those who treat Pat like she never farted while stating as fact that the UConn program is dirty. I know many tell me to just ignore them but my feeling is that when you allow lies and slanders to be repeated without rebutal it leads to them becoming accepted as truth.

To the vast majority of LV fans I know you don't share the vitriol of that small cadre of LV fans who insist on making this old rivalry a battle of good vs evil.
Rebut it and recognize many of us have universes we create for ourselves that no force will change. Just stay above it. Or let the hatred consume you. Can you tell I'm watching Star Wars!.

Liked your rebuttals btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01