The Game Misses Pat Summitt | The Boneyard

The Game Misses Pat Summitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The game misses Summitt. And it always will. The greatest legacy would be for all coaches to follow Summitt's example and do things the right way.

For all the respect I have for what Summitt achieved, this myth that Pat was some sort of angel drives me crazy. In her early years Pat was not above raiding other programs for players and later in her career using hard-sell tactics in recruiting HS players. There was the occasion where, as the coach of Tenn., she approached a couple of her Olympic teammates at the FF and they shortly thereafter dumped their teams and transferred to Tenn. Then there was the over-the-top methods used in Ann Strothers' official recruiting visit to Rockytop. In fact many of the rules about contact with players and recruits along with what programs can and cannot offer recruits were written due to her behavior.

Now I am one who would want my coach to anything within the rules to improve their program and I give Summitt credit for being ruthless and proactive in this respect. But when people like Maria start in with their praise of her methods while at the same time condemning other programs I want to vomit.

JMO of course

Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/19/8451287/the-game-misses-pat-summitt-retired-three-years-ago

Anniversary of Pat's call to Maria announcing her stepping down from coaching.

Writer is a moderator for the Summitt.
Wow, WOW!! There is so many mis conceptions in this "reporting" it would take a day or two to write them down.
Having said that: Pat Summit IS REALLY MISSED by the Vols. A fully operational Pat would have move to the final 4 this year. She was a competitor, she was a Southern Lady (yes even in the South some may say Damn). I loved Pat the head coach competing against UConn--I dislike the Pat who blew the WHISTLE about Maya (which was wrong full thru) but I put that to the disease not the lady---I think Pat in good health would have thought three times before issuing the NCAA complaint. The Vols may have been on TV before Uconn played them--I don't know but the TEAM that put Women's Basketball across the country on TV for 20 plus games per year was and is UCONN. I do miss Pat's competitive spirit--yes I do. The Vols shall never be the same. The MUFFET comment, while self serving, was better left out of this article---it has been refuted at every level (except maybe in Knoxville)

Reaction Score
I was not shocked to see Muffet's quote.
A comment that has been refuted by many in the WBB world. Obviously by all who have a smattering of knowledge of UConn WBB. Without Genos cracking wise even ND may have raised a statue to him (but I doubt it)!!! Wrong comment in the wrong place for the wrong reason.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Lol, wasn't the author the person who mined the Boneyard for NCAA "violations?" Tough to take Maria all that seriously. To say she bleeds orange is a bit of an understatement. I could say more, but I suspect that it would draw Nan's ire.

The quote is part of Muffet's hissy fit from last year for which she has since apologized. That the author of the article chose to dredge it up probably speaks more to her own insecurities as to the failure of the LV to return to the top of WCBB than anything else.

Vols are going to have talent next year. It will be interesting to see what Holly does with it.

Reaction Score
http://www.swishappeal.com/2015/4/19/8451287/the-game-misses-pat-summitt-retired-three-years-ago

Anniversary of Pat's call to Maria announcing her stepping down from coaching.

Writer is a moderator for the Summitt.
I do not miss Pat.... I am sorry she is dealing with what she is dealing with, but I do not miss her. I love how they always talk about her like she was a saint when coaching. I recall watching games.. some in person and watching her scream and stomp and look like she was about to bit someones head off. It is interesting how people are described after they leave, especially when they are sick.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I do not miss Pat.... I am sorry she is dealing with what she is dealing with, but I do not miss her. I love how they always talk about her like she was a saint when coaching. I recall watching games.. some in person and watching her scream and stomp and look like she was about to bit someones head off. It is interesting how people are described after they leave, especially when they are sick.

Not just in games. I saw several press conferences where she came off just that way. One of my biggest gripes about her is she, like some famous men's coaches, tried to get her way by intimidation. I feel like that's not the appropriate way to interact with people.

Reaction Score
Not just in games. I saw several press conferences where she came off just that way. One of my biggest gripes about her is she, like some famous men's coaches, tried to get her way by intimidation. I feel like that's not the appropriate way to interact with people.
Didn't she thrown a clipboard during one of the national title games? 2003 or 2004?

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
so much blather,
so much self importance,
so much rewriting what might have, could have, should have
I want the 3 minutes of my life back that I spent reading this

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
This column is an insult not to Geno or to WCBB, but to Holly Warlick. Holly has done nothing but get the Lady Vols to the same level they'd been at since 2008, and she's gotten Tennessee closer to the Final Four than Pat got them since that same year. Why not support her instead of whining about Pat Summitt being gone? She's getting Diamond freaking Deshields and Mercedes Russell next season. Give Holly a chance, and stop crying about mean ol' UConn winning its NCs without sharing.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
There were a number of 'great' women's coaches who developed the game in its infancy and most of them are gone from the sidelines - Pat was the 'greatest' of those coaches. The ones still remaining aren't all that impressive. The generation that followed them have greatly advanced the game, but do owe a debt of gratitude to those pioneering coaches.
I don't think the game misses Pat or any of the retired coaches - it has moved on.

Reaction Score
After reading these comments, I'm not even going to bother putting my 2cents in....today is Sunday, I'm not even trying to argue. :cool:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Lol, wasn't the author the person who mined the Boneyard for NCAA "violations?" Tough to take Maria all that seriously. To say she bleeds orange is a bit of an understatement. I could say more, but I suspect that it would draw Nan's ire.
I've probably already said it myself at one point or another, anyway.

Reaction Score
"...she didn't run down other programs or coaches, even though she knew it was being done to her." She didn't run down Geno and UCONN over Maya Moore and the tour of ESPN? If she really was all about Women's College BB, she would not have stopped playing UCONN. She selfishly did it because she knew we had the best player in Maya and didn't want to lose to us for 4 straight years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom