The Civil Conflict! | Page 6 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
LOLOLOL.

"UConn Promotes 'Rivalry' Game with UCF, Knights Deny Any Involvement"

The writers for the Onion couldn't come up with this even it was fake. I hope that trophy is real, and I hope it's on the sideline in Orlando in October. If we're going to suck big monkey balls on the field, might as well have some fun off.

Reaction Score
Not Warde's fault unless Diaco goes 2-10 again. Of course you will probably try to blame Hathaway...or me...if that happens. Diaco is Warde's boy and if he succeeds awards gets the credit. If not, it's on Warde too. Frankly if he is the disaster he appears he'll be, I hope it's enough to get them both the boot. But if he turns things around as I hope he will I will credit Warde for a good hire just as I have for Cavanaugh who was a very good choice which I wouldn't have made.

If Diaco flames out - that is 100% on Warde - it was his hire. We are in agreement there.

Reaction Score
We need to set up one-sided sponsored rivalries for all 12 teams we play next year. HCBD's mistake was paying for this thing out of his own pocket. We need to monetize, people! The UCF trophy should be the Preparation H Hemorrhoidal Itch Cup or the Mucinex Mucus Relief Bowl. Let the other teams deny the rivalries; that's only more twitter press for our sponsors and more revenue for us.

mucinex_homepg_headertagline.png

mucinex_mr-mucus_261x225.png

Reaction Score
If Diaco flames out - that is 100% on Warde - it was his hire. We are in agreement there.

He took his first season as a head coach and tossed it in the garbage. We'll see if he's learned from it and can build on it. We'll all have a very good idea of where we stand now, and how far we've got to go after the Villanova game, and we'll be able to follow that up quick, with another view of how the guy has developed as a coach leading a program with a rematch with Army the following week. 2-0? Dare I dream?

Anyway - I really hope that trophy is real, and it's already got last seasons pouring freezing rain slop bowl win at home carved into it. The only thing funnier than carving a second win into it at Orlando this year, would be actually having to hand it over if we lose. High comedy.

I honestly can't stop laughing out loud at this headline:

"UConn promotes rivalry game with UCF, Knights Deny any Involvement."

Reaction Score
I will say this - if he gets this team up into the 8/9/10 win range - with his sort of enthusiasm? The Rent is going to be a ing crazy place to watch a game.

Let's start with a win in front of a couple people in the stands against Villanova. Baby steps.

Reaction Score
A 2-10 team looking past 5 other opponents to a rivalry and trophy that only it recognizes.

I'm really trying not to be an energy vampire, but this stuff ain't helping.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
A rival in ORLANDO!!!!!!!!!! Not a 3 hour drive but a 3 hour flight at 600 mph.

I love Diaco's idea but make the game with UMASS or something. We are a national laughing stock.

I'm sure someone will go full hardo and say I'm overreacting. I really am not. I have just hit the full breaking point.

Reaction Score
A 2-10 team looking past 5 other opponents to a rivalry and trophy that only it recognizes.

I'm really trying not to be an energy vampire, but this stuff ain't helping.

I disagree, it's f-king hilarious, and if it's real - it's actually quite brilliant - if that trophy is actually standing up in the facilities somewhere - the win against UCF last season is the one lone good moment of the entire season that anyone returning can look at and realize they can play and win (even if it may have had a lot more to do with the nor'easter rain and cold that was going on) - we still had to play in it and tough it out.

Diaco, if nothing else, has been remarkably consistent in his eccentricity and intellectual approach to stuff. It's obvious that if we don't start winning more than we lose, sooner than later, he'll be gone and he'll get chalked up as a kooky guy that couldn't put it all together at UCONN, but for now, he's a kooky guy that took an entire football season and tossed it in the can for the sake of building a program the way he sees fit, and we're going to find out soon enough where he's gotten the program to, and what they're capable of in performance on the field after well more than a year and half on the job now.

Proper preparation prevents poor performance. Coaches and players. Diaco's level of proper preparation preventing poor performance - got to be held accountable this season.

Reaction Score
I will say this - if he gets this team up into the 8/9/10 win range - with his sort of enthusiasm? The Rent is going to be a ing crazy place to watch a game.

I'm willing to give him a long rope on this, but based on the first year, everything from the quirky non-key starter vs key non-starter, to game planning and playcalling, I just want to see him beat an FCS teamn first time out this year.

Reaction Score
Holy crap I just had an image of us trying to hand them the trophy if we lose and they end up racing for their locker rooms to avoid the official presentation.

We'd.be like herd dogs LOL

I love it

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Here's the thing. Win the game this year and it doesn't matter what they want. Diaco is wonky, but I still think he's going after the right levers first. He installed the culture he wants, the rules of engagement and the mindset. Now he's setting a goal and generating some buzz. Of course it all means jack if they can't start to build momentum on the field, but if they do start to see returns in performance it actually makes sense.

This means he's betting on the program and showing confidence, which is the right move at this point. Pick a fight with a bully.

Reaction Score
I'm willing to give him a long rope on this, but based on the first year, everything from the quirky non-key starter vs key non-starter, to game planning and playcalling, I just want to see him beat an FCS teamn first time out this year.

I agree. Villanova is a good FCS team with a very, very experienced coach, and a solid QB.

In theory it should not be a hard game to win, and in my ability to overanalyze and overthink things, I think it's a fantastic test of whether or not Diaco can shut off his own level of overthinking and KISS principle things. The formula for beating VIllanova is easy. You control the line of scrimmage and time of possession with your offensive line and running game, and when you're on defense, you beat the living *te out of their QB every chance you get. Same thing we did to beat Louisville on the road not too long ago, with the definition of a simpleton as the head coach. Bridgewater came out of that game punished, and we squeaked out the win. We should be able to do the same to this QB - and given the fact we are actually in division 1A, not 1-AA, we hopefully have enough players not to have to squeak by to get the win in OT.

That's what should happen, if we're going to have the chance to compete for wins regularly in fall 2015.

We'll know a lot about our team after Labor Day.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I wish he'd just have called them, so they could have said "Well Bob you may be just a bit premature. Let's hold off on this for the time being." and then after he hung up the phone "Man that guy is batsheet crazy."

I've said it before but HCBD worries me. We've all seen guys like this - high energy, high enthusiasm guys who impress early and then flame out due to the Peter Principal. I don't think that the program can survive another train wreck. I'm not saying that Bob's going to be one, but cr@p like this scares me... a lot.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Carl Spackler said:
I disagree, it's f-king hilarious, and if it's real - it's actually quite brilliant - if that trophy is actually standing up in the facilities somewhere - the win against UCF last season is the one lone good moment of the entire season that anyone returning can look at and realize they can play and win (even if it may have had a lot more to do with the nor'easter rain and cold that was going on) - we still had to play in it and tough it out.

Diaco, if nothing else, has been remarkably consistent in his eccentricity and intellectual approach to stuff. It's obvious that if we don't start winning more than we lose, sooner than later, he'll be gone and he'll get chalked up as a kooky guy that couldn't put it all together at UCONN, but for now, he's a kooky guy that took an entire football season and tossed it in the can for the sake of building a program the way he sees fit, and we're going to find out soon enough where he's gotten the program to, and what they're capable of in performance on the field after well more than a year and half on the job now.

Proper preparation prevents poor performance. Coaches and players. Diaco's level of proper preparation preventing poor performance - got to be held accountable this season.

If that's the case then I want another 7 trophies sitting next to this one next summer. Who cares if anyone recognizes them.

Reaction Score
I'll keep putting a big bull's eye on my chest. There is nothing to worry about. HCBD is in the process of turning this program around!!!
When someone made crazy comments the writer HL Menken used to say, "well, you know, you may well be right."

Kenny, you may well be right.

Reaction Score
It just now dawned on me. This is really Coach Diaco calling us out. Not as fans but as members of a ornery, belligerent bunch of misfits known as The Boneyard. This is his way of telling us that we need to get down to business and take this football thing seriously. We need to berate, denigrate, and make fun of UCF so much on message boards, twitter, and just from shouting into the air while shaking our fists so much that it becomes a real rivalry.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice find.

George O'Leary said he would be happy to welcome another in-conference rivalry game.

"I think if you can get those types of games going with different teams in the conference, I think that's great for the conference. I have no problem with that whatsoever. I'd be anxious to get him down to our place next year," O'Leary said.

Tacit approval.

Reaction Score
Nice find.

George O'Leary said he would be happy to welcome another in-conference rivalry game.

"I think if you can get those types of games going with different teams in the conference, I think that's great for the conference. I have no problem with that whatsoever. I'd be anxious to get him down to our place next year," O'Leary said.

Tacit approval.

I'm not sure if it's more tacit approval or humoring a crazy uncle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom