The Civil Conflict! | Page 8 | The Boneyard

The Civil Conflict!

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Carl if your basis for recruiting success is how many players signed... well really anyone with an internet connection, a roster and an email account could recruit back to 85 players.

Reaction Score
Carl if your basis for recruiting success is how many players signed... well really anyone with an internet connection, a roster and an email account could recruit back to 85 players.

I'm done biting for the day.

Good hunting.

Reaction Score
It is real though, that a good leader will take the one bright spot that was last seasons win over UCF and try to find a way to make it real for the returning players to look at that, as valid proof that they can play at this level and compete and win. This entire thing - is exactly that. The fact that it's such a quirky thing that came out of a post game press-conference many months ago, is just a little bit more evidence of this guy's quirky brilliance that so many people that know him have testified to.

I know Carl's post are long and bloviated sometimes, but all you asking why not UMass or Syracuse or those thinking this whole thing is ridiculous (which on some level it is).....he is doing it for whats in bold up there

Reaction Score
I'm not getting into this again. You think what you want, and I'll think what I want. The results will be what they are when we play the games. Too often I get into discussions with people that think they know football, but are really basketball fans. I'm not sure if that applies to you or not, but I'm leaning toward it based on this comment. Bottom line is that the rules allow for having up to 85 players on scholarship among a full 105 players that can get to the roster through a multi-year recruiting process that involves a lot of time identifying players, tracking their development, and making sure they fit the program goals and direction. By fall of 2016, we should have 105 players on the roster that fit that description again, and we haven't had that for many, many years, and the results on the field have demonstrated it. UCONN has consistently placed productive players into the NFL for a decade now - and the NFL people know it. Putting players into the NFL has nothing to do with putting a regular winning team on the college football field in division 1A.

My time has run out for today, I feel the dark side coming.

This trophy is frigging hilarious, and it makes UCONN football fun - for me - and I'm sure for the UCONN coaches and UConn players too - and that's all it is. I don't give a flying frack about what anyone else thinks, and neither should they.

My point on recruiting is that it doesn't matter how many people we are bringing in; they simply are not that talented. Many won't see the field for 2-3 years. Many won't see the field at all. It doesn't matter if you are bringing in 20 guys or 40 guys, what matters is if you are bringing in impact players. I generally agree with you that operating at a higher roster number will likely allow for the discovery of more impact players, but the fact remains that the majority of this class are two star players with no P5 offers; we can't be banking the future of the program on lottery tickets. And I'm fully aware that UConn has no place in the market for 4 star guys. But you need to be doing better than the 98th best class nationally and the 11th best in a 12 team conference.

Reaction Score
Diaco has stated a very clear, and well thought out recruiting plan and approach, and has delivered results so far that are consistent with the stated plan and approach and goals. Many of the players have seen the field at game time already and have demonstrated at the very least, the potential to develop and compete at the required level of competition - which is division 1A - American Athletic Conference. He's identified major problems with recruiting that he inherited that date back 6 years now, and with his continued plan, will be corrected by the first Wednesday of February 2016. There is no reason to think that the plan he has put in place will deviate when it comes to recruiting. He's chosen a method of backfilling rosters through preferred walk on status that is much riskier on the front end than what both Edsall and Pasqualoni did with their recruiting strategies, but pays off much better in the long run - if you are good enough as a salesman recruiter to get the players to literally have their parents buy in - which so far - he's demonstrated the ability to do.

The only thing, and I mean the only thing that Diaco has not done well IMO since taking on this job of being head coach at UCONN, is the 5 P's that go into actually playing games. Unfortunately, that is the most important part of the job - if you want to keep your job for any long period of time.

This trophy thing is really, really funny to me. Both the thing itself and how upset people can get about it. LOL. Priorities. This trophy is far less embarrassing than the performance on the field against Cincinatti at home last season. 41-0. That was not funny.
The only result that counts is wins. The potential that you see, I see as guys trying as hard as they can and maybe not having the ability or talent to lead this team to a huge win total. His clearly stated plan and approach if I recall correctly is finding guys that "love" football. Him and all D1 football coaches. Has he shown any type of offensive mindset? Has he shown a defensive philosophy? Also let me know when preseason ends this year. Is it before game 1 or after game 3?

Now for the positive, he only has one class to call his own. He filled it with some big guys so I think he wants massive linemen. Last year was a growth year if you give him the benefit of the doubt which I do. 3 wins is a 50% improvement. 4 wins 100%. That is the only way to measure this year.

This whole fake rivalry thing is weak. If I am a player, I would be less than enthused because all I want to do is win week 1 and then move to week 2. This rivalry and trophy basically says we sucked last year and you lost to us. Nyah,Nyah, Nyah. If BD is all about focus, loving football and the players, focus on on execution, preparation,game planning and winning week 1. Kick some ass and upset some teams this year and rivalries will follow.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Out of curiosity -- will any of you season ticket holders attempt to sabotage the trophy at the BBQ? This could be your one chance to have an impact on the program's publicity...

You mean like painting the UCF logo scarlet?

Reaction Score
Ask yourself who were the best players last year. Count how many were true frosh. If u don't like our freshman OL, RBs, TE, LBs, and CBs, then you don't believe he can recruit. I thought the true frosh showed something across the board. And I believe the so-called big, smart, and nice kids can play.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You mean like painting the UCF logo scarlet?

Judging from the comments in this thread, I was thinking something along the lines of stealing it and throwing it in an incinerator. If you folks want to get rid of this embarrassment to the program, take matters into your own hands!

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Here's what I hope happnens, UCF actually does recognize this and they win this year so they accept it and then we have to put a sack of oranges on the stand in the Burton all off-season long.

Also, while we're on rivalry games and trophies. WTH don't we actually establish something real with UMass... I mean at this point, we both could use one another for scheduling each year, and we're receptive to conversation with one another (unlike BC or 'Cuse until recently). Let's make a New England FBS football rivalry game happen!

Possible UConn/UMass Game Name Ideas:
  • The Battle for the Yankee Cup
  • The Border Battle
  • The Battle for New England
  • Battle for the Lobster Pot Trophy
Mass-Conn Fusion

Reaction Score
Ask yourself who were the best players last year. Count how many were true frosh. If u don't like our freshman OL, RBs, TE, LBs, and CBs, then you don't believe he can recruit. I thought the true frosh showed something across the board. And I believe the so-called big, smart, and nice kids can play.
How many were committed to UConn before Diaco and how many were after Diaco was hired? I love Carrezola. There are good young players on the squad. And I don't doubt that some of the kids will be good. But I can't look at a class with 24+ kids, the majority of which are 2* lottery tickets, and completely write off recruiting as an issue.

Reaction Score
How many were committed to UConn before Diaco and how many were after Diaco was hired? I love Carrezola. There are good young players on the squad. And I don't doubt that some of the kids will be good. But I can't look at a class with 24+ kids, the majority of which are 2* lottery tickets, and completely write off recruiting as an issue.

Now we're up to 6600 views and 185 replies on the Boneyard and who honestly believes you can have a rivalry because you proclaim it?

It's just smart publicity.

WTIC talks about this on air for ten minutes. No problem from my point of view.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
The recruits will come as they did last year. My guess is they will get their first commitment after their first camp. Once recruits see the campus and see what the university has to offer each player and his family.

I like the conflict bowl or whatever it is called and hope no one brings up UMASS ever again.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I think Diaco really missed on a big opportunity here. It would have been way better if he made the Civil Conflict retroactive, and put last year's game in the first slot, UConn 37 - UCF 29. That would have been epic levels of hilarious! ;)

There's still time, Bobby. Check the clock on the trophy. There's still time...

Reaction Score
The more I think about it, the more I think Diaco really missed on a big opportunity here. It would have been way better if he made the Civil Conflict retroactive, and put last year's game in the first slot, UConn 37 - UCF 29. That would have been epic levels of hilarious! ;)

There's still time, Bobby. Check the clock on the trophy. There's still time...
I'm pretty sure he did?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure he did?

Did he really???

It's hard for me to tell with that Twitter picture. Hopefully someone with better skills than me can blow that up so I can confirm that. IF HE DID, that is the best troll move ever and everyone on this board should be laughing it up.

Losing to a 2-10 team? Costs many thousands of dollars on a missed better bowl appearance.
Having a 2-10 team create a trophy and engrave the loss? Priceless...

Reaction Score
Did he really???

It's hard for me to tell with that Twitter picture. Hopefully someone with better skills than me can blow that up so I can confirm that. IF HE DID, that is the best troll move ever and everyone on this board should be laughing it up.

Losing to a 2-10 team? Costs many thousands of dollars on a missed better bowl appearance.
Having a 2-10 team create a trophy and engrave the loss? Priceless...
I blew it up a bit, still not 100% certain but it appears it says 2014, UCONN, and the game score.
Untitled.png

Top is 2014. UConn clearly second. Third appears to be a score since the - would blur a low resolution image such as this.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I blew it up a bit, still not 100% certain but it appears it says 2014, UCONN, and the game score.
View attachment 9679
Top is 2014. UConn clearly second. Third appears to be a score since the - would blur a low resolution image such as this.

Thanks for doing that. That's so fantastically funny...

Reaction Score
The only trophy that matters is a bowl trophy. If your not playing for one of those then your not doing your job and that not only goes for the head coach but the whole staff and the players. It isn't about the fans, they'll be there when there is something to be there for. It isn't on the AD, he's not the one out there coaching or playing. It's all about the 100+ men, both players and coaches, representing the school the right way as they each agreed to when they signed a contract or a letter of intent. Get it done!!

Reaction Score
This is April 1st right and so ridiculous. UCF. That's the narrative? Really?

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
UConn-UCF ... lame.

Some legitimate UConn rivals, given the right situation: BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, Cincinnati, UMass.

If the stars aligned correctly, any one of those schools *could be* a good rival. But when I think of rivals, UCF would be about #15 or #20 on that list. I'd put USF ahead of them based on our years in the Big East together and because nearly all of our games with USF have been very close.

Reaction Score
UConn-UCF ... lame.

Some legitimate UConn rivals, given the right situation: BC, Syracuse, Rutgers, Temple, Cincinnati, UMass.

If the stars aligned correctly, any one of those schools *could be* a good rival. But when I think of rivals, UCF would be about #15 or #20 on that list. I'd put USF ahead of them based on our years in the Big East together and because nearly all of our games with USF have been very close.

there is only one true rival on that list, but they are a bunch of dimwitted jackwagons who have tried to exclude us with backroom shenanigans because they are too afraid to put it on the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom