That's on Ollie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

That's on Ollie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Calhoun would have sensed the game going the other way and called a timeout so he could regroup the troops and... ring in the officials(which he never gets as much credit as he deserves for doing) and stop any Temple momentum before it ever started. That's the difference between Hall of Famers and guys still earning their wings.
You can't just blame KO after every loss. It's up to the players to show some guts and heart. If they don't want to win bad enough, they won't win. Period.

Reaction Score
You can't just blame KO after every loss. It's up to the players to show some guts and heart. If they don't want to win bad enough, they won't win. Period.
Lots of blame to go around. Its not Ollie's fault we were out-toughed on both ends down the stretch. But how many times do we have to watch chaos out of a timeout? After one timeout no one knew who was throwing the ball inbounds, and after another with 4 mins left, another shot clock violation. Those are on the coach.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It was a collective breakdown. Coaches, players, everyone. This team wilts under pressure, more or less every time. They don't know how to win a close game. They get rattled and their decision making goes to hell. I had hopes that Gibbs would start getting it, but he was the worst offender last night.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The only thing I'll really get on Ollie for is the fact that in every one of these close games, with 5 minutes left, he starts taking air out the ball every single possession, and we don't have the offensive talent to do that. Two years ago, we had Shabazz that could bail us out or find one of our great 3-point shooters to get a good look. He should've realized about a month ago that we don't have the personnel to do that effectively. Every time he tries it, we get ice-cold. He has to stop that and just run the regular offense.

Other than that, it's clear these guys struggle with adversity. They completely fell apart when Temple hit them in the mouth. I'm not gonna use revisionist history and say Calhoun teams were always mentally tough, because 2010 and 2012 happened, but the majority of the time he imposed his will on the team. Ollie needs to show that he can produce tough basketball players. Not ready to say he can't, but this year's team just keeps falling apart late in games.

Still not giving up on this year, but they need to get tougher quickly or they're gonna wilt under the pressure of March. Hope they take this as a learning moment and move on, because the season isn't over yet. Still time to show us what they're really made of.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
No, it's not. These players are weak minded and clueless. Almost every one of them.
If Coach Diaco is to blame for interceptions thrown by a QB, I would think Ollie is easily responsible for a team that is currently weak minded and clueless, in your words.

Three months to make them strong minded and have a clue and he has failed...

Reaction Score
I think Ollie needs to learn to delegate more - and needs to have the right people around him to delegate to.

It's obvious that clock management and fouling strategy are weaknesses. We routinely pass up 2-for-1s at the end of game, foul the wrong guy, or fail to foul anyone and let the other team run the clock down.

Ollie doesn't need to be a Moneyball-level genius at this stuff. But he should have someone sitting next to him who can say "Coach: look 2-for-1 here!" or "deny DeCosey on the inbound - make them inbound to Bond or Dingle." Hell, I don't care if it's a statistics grad student, just assign someone the role.

Ollie has incredible strengths as a head coach, but he needs to approach the job more like a CEO rather than trying to do everything himself.

Reaction Score
Calhoun would have sensed the game going the other way and called a timeout so he could regroup the troops and... ring in the officials(which he never gets as much credit as he deserves for doing) and stop any Temple momentum before it ever started. That's the difference between Hall of Famers and guys still earning their wings.

We called a timeout, but we didn't execute. Last night isn't totally on KO. Purvis missed two layups and Brimah mishandled a pass under the hoop which should have been a dunk. Our wins and losses are generally similar, it's just that the stuff we do against bad teams doesn't work against average or above average teams.

Also decosey looked like an NBA caliber prospect last night.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Did we decide which scapegoat we sacrifice to the basketball Gods? Ollie? Brimah? Gibbs? Maybe Purvis? The usual suspects.

The sacrifice will be held at the Temple of Calhoun who never allowed such things to happen (except for when he did)

God grant us the serenity to live without a Kemba or Bazz on our team, though as the chosen people we are thusly entitled.
Amen

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Its just so frustrating that we shouldn't have lost last night, and 2 other games (Temple 1st game, and Cincy ) as well. That's 3 losses that should have been wins. Yes, we need play to win and NOT not to lose.

The only thing I'll really get on Ollie for is the fact that in every one of these close games, with 5 minutes left, he starts taking air out the ball every single possession, and we don't have the offensive talent to do that. ....

Reaction Score
"Ollie should know enough to go 2 for 1 when you get the ball back with 40 seconds left."

40 seconds isn't the ideal situation to go 2 for 1. You'd basically have to shoot within 7-8 seconds; once the rebound/made shot, etc... the other team would drain most of the final 30 seconds anyways.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I thought they did try to go 2 for 1. Missed shot, rebound, reset the "offense" No?

Reaction Score
In general I like Ollie. I think this coaching staff recruits well and for the most part have the Huskies in a position to win each game they play. An injury to one of the countries best shot blockers has hurt no doubt and will Brimah play to his capabilities by tourney time? Who knows. I just think Ollie missed on stemming the momentum change vs Temple. Calhoun was a master at it. Ollie is still learning it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom