Texas Game Thread | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Texas Game Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well that was fun. Texas is pretty good and very big and they have one pesky point guard.
1. Really glad to see Uconn running that foul line curl for Lou - it is unstoppable and she should be as good with it as Maya was.
2. Thought the refs were weird tonight - didn't really affect the game that much, but very physical game with lots of tickytack fouls called while a bunch of the big ones were missed.
3. Natalie is a critical member of this team - complain all you want but we probably would have lost three games already without her.
4. Thought Texas ran out of gas at the end of the third. Their bigs were not a factor in the fourth.
5. Kia kept her rhythm from the DePaul game. Napheesa and Gabby continued being brilliant. Thought Dangerfield got seriously exposed as a freshman in this one - her defense was pretty much a swinging door.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well first things first but if that happens don't forget about Maryland and the two games against South Florida..not gonna be easy

I'd be shocked if BOTH games vs USF would be tough. Maybe one. And ofc the AAC Tournament - many games on many nights - I can''t say. But no way USF plays us tough for both reg. season games.

Reaction Score
Today was a mixed bag. Pheesa played at a 1st team AA level--- yet again. Kia was good on both ends. Natalie did a good job.But a team with a 2-3 record came to our house and had only 8 assists with 20 turnovers and lost one on their starting guards early. We had 20 assists and 12 turnovers. Should have been a laugher but we played sub-par the first and third quarters and were out hustled on the offensive boards. Lost concentration for stretches. Defense was very good but only for about 20 minutes. We absolutely need to play better Wed. If we concede even one quarter much less two the visit to South Bend will be a laugher.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I couldn't watch the game until the 4th Q (taped it and will watch later) but HardHatGuy#2's link is what I needed to try to understand the minutes played in the game (I realize that Geno sat Lou down for a lot of the 1st half). So, I notice that Crystal had nearly 2x the minutes of Saniya and that Natalie really had long minutes--good for her. And, I imagine that if Lou hadn't be benched in the 1st half, she might have have had 30-35 minutes too.

I guess Geno is prepared for very long minutes for the "core 4" and 20ish for Natalie and Crystal and 10ish for Saniya, if the situation warrants. Maybe even more for Crystal is she's playing well and the situation warrants.
Lou wasn't benched - she was sat because she picked up two fouls early in the first half and Geno decided to not chance it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Today was a mixed bag. Pheesa played at a 1st team AA level--- yet again. Kia was good on both ends. Natalie did a good job.But a team with a 2-3 record came to our house and had only 8 assists with 20 turnovers and lost one on their starting guards early. We had 20 assists and 12 turnovers. Should have been a laugher but we played sub-par the first and third quarters and were out hustled on the offensive boards. Lost concentration for stretches. Defense was very good but only for about 20 minutes. We absolutely need to play better Wed. If we concede even one quarter much less two the visit to South Bend will be a laugher.
They have lost to #11 Stanford on the road (and we all know how tough Stanford can be in their house), #6 Mississippi State on the road and most SEC teams play a lot better at home than on the road, and to #3 South Carolina at home. So maybe they are not a top ten team at this point in the season but with their schedule early in this year I am pretty sure they will remain in the top 15. This team is not going to do the DePaul thing very often to ranked teams. We were also being manhandled on the boards to easily offset our better turnover numbers.

Reaction Score
Lou wasn't benched - she was sat because she picked up two fouls early in the first half and Geno decided to not chance it.

He will often let a 2nd foul on one of his important players slide, and keep them in the game. But considering that her 2nd foul was a flagrant, featuring frustrated flailing, I think he realized that she could use a good sit.

Reaction Score
KLS was being mauled , so she finally retaliated and got the flagrant. Geno sat her w/2 fouls, but I think he was sending the wakeup call to her. This is what Stewie went through early. She has to be tough enough to play through it.

Reaction Score

I don't agree with your post at all.

Not even close.

1-- Texas is a very good team. Stop pretending their early season record means much.

2-- The reason the other team had just 8assists and 20 turnovers was because of our defense. I think it's mind-boggling you are looking at this as negative.

3-- Having 20 assists vs 12 turnovers not bad vs a very good team. Only 12 turnovers is excellent.

4-- Can you tell the difference between we were just "outsized" vs "outhustled?" Please explain how you can tell the difference. First quarter sure. After that, please explain.

5-- And what about if Notre Dame plays like what they've done vs top teams like Washington or Wisc Green-Bay? For the record- I do think we'll lose.

6-- To me posts like what you've made- they are so mind-boggling in my view. We lost a superstar class arguably thee greatest ever in which all the players on the court were nothing but role players in the prior year(s). We have a serious deficiency in the paint. We're basically young with only 1 senior who is more like the 6th or 7th man. We play against a team that got to e8 last year and have had fine recruiting years-- and these UCONN young players are supposed to be robotic and annihilate top 15 teams?

7-- I didn't want to say much on the DePaul-UCONN thread. I like DePaul the coach etc. But DePaul's performance in that game was disgustingly awful. I know they tried - they are kids and got nervous. But they were embarrassing. IMO I don't think a measure of this fine UCONN team should be how well we annihilate 15th ranked teams like what we did to DePaul. IMO this team isn't goo enough vs a legit hard-playing team around 15 -- that one could automatically call this year's game---- "a laugher" just because a team is 14- ro 15 etc because that's what we did vs DePaul.

Thus I think your post was way off on so many levels. I can't believe you are knocking 12 turnovers.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
Well I went to the DePaul game UCONN awesome! On Friday I was admitted into L&M hospital I had had a heart attack the night before and didn't know it! I just watched the game from my hospital bed! Great effort not pretty! Oops dinner is here! Go Huskies!
Best wishes to you.

Reaction Score
He will often let a 2nd foul on one of his important players slide, and keep them in the game. But considering that her 2nd foul was a flagrant, featuring frustrated flailing, I think he realized that she could use a good sit.

It was very early in the game too plus the game was physical where a cheap foul could be easily picked up.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Thus I think your post was way off on so many levels. I can't believe you are knocking 12 turnovers.

He's saying that the game should've been easier based on the good Assist/TO numbers among other things. Much of the issue today was simply the athletic size difference. UConn had to adjust and eventually did.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well that was fun. Texas is pretty good and very big and they have one pesky point guard.
1. Really glad to see Uconn running that foul line curl for Lou - it is unstoppable and she should be as good with it as Maya was.
2. Thought the refs were weird tonight - didn't really affect the game that much, but very physical game with lots of tickytack fouls called while a bunch of the big ones were missed.
3. Natalie is a critical member of this team - complain all you want but we probably would have lost three games already without her.
4. Thought Texas ran out of gas at the end of the third. Their bigs were not a factor in the fourth.
5. Kia kept her rhythm from the DePaul game. Napheesa and Gabby continued being brilliant. Thought Dangerfield got seriously exposed as a freshman in this one - her defense was pretty much a swinging door.
As I said during the game thread at the half, Texas wouldn't have the stamina to stay with UConn to the finish. As for the game being weirdly called, throughout the year refs have been intent on calling hand checks and blocking fouls. I've come to expect it. During this game they however let much of the physical inside play pass, which I liked. During the first period I thought my entire complex heard me screaming "Geno, put Butler in please!". Honestly, Danger was exposed in the Baylor game by Jones. This team just did their research. This will change.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
The nice thing that you have going on is that when they try to take out your player you can still stay with teams and have others step up. The refs were particularly bad in this game so one hopes that you don't get that again as that could be the only thing right now that hurts you, barring a complete collapse or not sharing the ball.

Is Aston taking lessons from Mulkey? Boy she was complaining the whole game and her players were the ones trying to take others out of the game. Really doubt that was a flagrant if you watch the replay as she seems to get grabbed and then just tries to free herself. If that was a flagrant then what happened when Lang did the same in the second half. Such inconsistent reffing, drives me nuts. It amazes me that Geno is more calm when the tighter the game gets, I want some of what he's drinking.

Nice to see Butler get going as this will help you all down the road.

Reaction Score
Had seat right by tunnel. As team was exiting at end of game I reached over for high fives. I was up about seven rows so only Napheesa jumped for the high five. My first and only Uconn Women's game until Bridgeport. Natalie was a difference maker on defense tonight.

Reaction Score
I'd be shocked if BOTH games vs USF would be tough. Maybe one. And ofc the AAC Tournament - many games on many nights - I can''t say. But no way USF plays us tough for both reg. season games.

I don't remember the scores but didn't they play well against us in both games last year? I remember them being a pain in the you know what..........

Reaction Score
Texas fan here. Kudos to UConn. Your team does everything well. Collier is one of the best I've ever seen. We wouldn't have won, but the score would have been closer if Ariel Atkins hadn't gotten hurt. She is kind of our glue, she and McCarty. Like the big sister everyone depends on. I've only seen Aston get that mad maybe one other time. Lord, let's hope she is not taking lessons from Kim Mulkey.

Reaction Score
They have lost to #11 Stanford on the road (and we all know how tough Stanford can be in their house), #6 Mississippi State on the road and most SEC teams play a lot better at home than on the road, and to #3 South Carolina at home. So maybe they are not a top ten team at this point in the season but with their schedule early in this year I am pretty sure they will remain in the top 15. This team is not going to do the DePaul thing very often to ranked teams. We were also being manhandled on the boards to easily offset our better turnover numbers.
UcM Basically I agree with you although 3 of Texas's four losses were by double digits ( the other one was by 9). My point was that IMO this was a B minus performance and I wonder if anyone thinks Geno would give it a higher grade. We can't win in South bend if we bring our B minus game

Reaction Score
Texas fan here. Kudos to UConn. Your team does everything well. Collier is one of the best I've ever seen. We wouldn't have won, but the score would have been closer if Ariel Atkins hadn't gotten hurt. She is kind of our glue, she and McCarty. Like the big sister everyone depends on. I've only seen Aston get that mad maybe one other time. Lord, let's hope she is not taking lessons from Kim Mulkey.
Thanks, Gamer, for the congrats and compliments. Tough start for you guys ...but March is what counts. That fall that Ariel took looked scary, hope she ends up just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom