Tennessee @ TAMU | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee @ TAMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The decision to not use Dunbar in the last 4 minutes of the game was defendable IMO because Dunbar is a poor defender. With 4 minutes to go in the game UT was up by 11. At that point you need to keep scoring but you also need to defend. UT did neither. UT had 4 players (Carter, Nared, Reynolds, Russell) who committed fouls in the last 4 minutes of the game which resulted in a turn over or foul shots for TA&M.

Coco - I understand your point. UT completely folded in last minutes of regulation.

My point was that you keep Dunbar in until A&M stops her. When you go 3 - 3 and nobody guarding you, you pour it on. Let's call it the killer instinct. You have your opponent down, keep them down.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco - I understand your point. UT completely folded in last minutes of regulation.
My point was that you keep Dunbar in until A&M stops her. When you go 3 - 3 and nobody guarding you, you pour it on. Let's call it the killer instinct. You have your opponent down, keep them down.
I'm afraid there is more urban legend in the making here. Dunbar was actually 3 of 7 from 3 point range for the game only slightly above her season shooting average of 40%.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400831644

HGN

Reaction Score
Its going to be very hard for any ranking service to justify keeping LadyVols in the Top 25 after yet another loss...........No matter to whom or how close the score.

There's is something wrong in the volunteer state.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
Another great loss by UT and the Lower Viewpoint bunch. It should move the big orange into the #3 spot in the polls. Why? Just 'cuz.

"Reason? We don't need no stinking reason!"

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Its going to be very hard for any ranking service to justify keeping LadyVols in the Top 25 after yet another loss......No matter to whom or how close the score.
I'm not sure I agree. The poll voters should not be concerning themselves with how the game played out -It was bad of TN blowing a 11 point lead with 3 minutes to go. TN lost to the #12 Team on the road in OT. If you look strictly at the results and just this game that is not too far from the expected result. I could see no movement for either team as far as the top 25 goes.

HGN

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I agree. The poll voters should not be concerning themselves with how the game played out -It was bad of TN blowing a 11 point lead with 3 minutes to go. TN lost to the #12 Team on the road in OT. If you look strictly at the results and just this game that is not too far from the expected result. I could see no movement for either team as far as the top 25 goes.
CoCo , I can agree up to a certain point............LadyVols having loss to a higher ranked team may be expected , but losses are losses. To be continually in the polls based solely on who you have lost to will only go so far. Eventually a team can say they should be ranked highly because they have lost 20 games but all losses were to ranked teams.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Lost in the TN misery of this game was the poor play and worse attitude of Courtney Williams of TA&M. Courtney shot 0 for 7 and with each miss she displayed less and less visible effort on the defensive end of the floor finally fouling out in two consecutive fouls 5 seconds apart when her team was in the middle of a come back. Even worse after Jordan Jones was lying on the floor hurt, the entire stadium and her teammates hushed with concern Courtney Williams can be seen on the sideline laughing. I used to be a fan of Courtney Williams.
Thanks for noting Williams' incredibly self centered behavior. The type of behavior that turned me away from men's BB. With each missed shot, with each puzzling matador defensive play I kept thanking Geno and co. for not recruiting this player.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I can't but agree. What was also not surprising was how Diamond came off the bench to play 17 mins yet was able to go a fruitful 4-16.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
CoCo , I can agree up to a certain point..LadyVols having loss to a higher ranked team may be expected , but losses are losses. To be continually in the polls based solely on who you have lost to will only go so far. Eventually a team can say they should be ranked highly because they have lost 20 games but all losses were to ranked teams.
I see what you are saying but you have to realize there is a vocal minority that is determined to keep the Lady Vols in good standing. For example I almost threw up last night during the game when I heard this little gem. "Tennessee has played the toughest schedule in the nation this year!"

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm afraid there is more urban legend in the making here. Dunbar was actually 3 of 7 from 3 point range for the game only slightly above her season shooting average of 40%.
http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400831644
What the box score doesn't show is when the shots were made. She hit three for four in an impressively short span, I think, late in the first quarter and was pulled out shortly after. She sat on the bench for nearly the rest of the game until there were only two or three minutes left and the wheels had fallen off. No pressure on her to shoot every time she touched the ball then and to make every shot or her team was going to lose. She's a decent but streaky shooter, not a great shooter.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
I sit about 10 feet from the opposing head coach and he is one of the few I rarely harass because he's so nice. He's very good with X's and O's, too. As a fan, though, I like my coaches to have a more visible fire. Of course, with Will Muschamp, Frank Martin and Dawn Staley, I better like that, lol l.

One of the few you rarely harass? Well I guess we know how you'll be spending your time tonight :p

Reaction Score
Kudos to Holly for limiting DD's minutes. She seems to be a big part of the problem. This is an ESPN second team preseason all american (ahead of Tuck I might add) that is not starting for what may be an unranked team. She is shooting 38.8%, 22.1% from three point land, has 53 assists but almost an unthinkable 82 turnovers. The A/T of .65 is pathetic. While I have no doubt she will play better over the next two years , for now she is lost and deserves and needs to be watching the game from the bench.

Reaction Score
Well, I guess Tennessee didn't play all that poorly...they're still ranked. Came in at #25. I don't know...what does this say about the state of WCBB?

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
One of the few you rarely harass? Well I guess we know how you'll be spending your time tonight :p

Hehe, you know it. I won't harass Chris, though, because she's my homegirl.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Well, I guess Tennessee didn't play all that poorly...they're still ranked. Came in at #25. I don't know...what does this say about the state of WCBB?

There aren't many good teams and the AP uses their poll to get website clicks and sell papers (if anyone actually buys physical newspapers any more).

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What the box score doesn't show is when the shots were made. She hit three for four in an impressively short span, I think, late in the first quarter and was pulled out shortly after. She sat on the bench for nearly the rest of the game until there were only two or three minutes left and the wheels had fallen off. No pressure on her to shoot every time she touched the ball then and to make every shot or her team was going to lose. She's a decent but streaky shooter, not a great shooter.
Not really.
Dunbar played 10 Minutes total in the game the least amount of minutes by any TN player. Should she have played more? Holly to her credit said she should "probably" have played Dunbar more. But the myth I want to try and dispel is that Holly had this "blazing ,can't miss shooter" and took her out of the game and forgot about her. Dunbar was not blazing hot because every hit was followed by a miss. Dunbar shot her season average and Holly had two other players (Nared & Reynolds) that were shooting better from 3 point range than Dunbar was.

Here is Dunbar's exact shot sequence.
1Q 3:35 Kortney Dunbar made Three Point Jumper.
1Q 2:58 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.
1Q2 :26 Kortney Dunbar made Three Point Jumper
1Q 1:15 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.
1Q 0:54 Kortney Dunbar made Three Point Jumper.
2Q 4:20 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.
OT:21 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400831644

Reaction Score
A perfect example of how an internet legend is born. Next, a few posters will seize it, re-post it as holy writ and it will perpetuate itself like a snowball rolling downhill. ;)
So true. It's like Holly being touted as a great coach because she has an 80% winning percentage. Well, almost since she's now at a career .775 and .609 for the current season.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Not really.
Dunbar played 10 Minutes total in the game the least amount of minutes by any TN player. Should she have played more? Holly to her credit said she should "probably" have played Dunbar more. But the myth I want to try and dispel is that Holly had this "blazing ,can't miss shooter" and took her out of the game and forgot about her. Dunbar was not blazing hot because every hit was followed by a miss. Dunbar shot her season average and Holly had two other players (Nared & Reynolds) that were shooting better from 3 point range than Dunbar was.

Here is Dunbar's exact shot sequence.
1Q 3:35 Kortney Dunbar made Three Point Jumper.
1Q 2:58 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.
1Q2 :26 Kortney Dunbar made Three Point Jumper
1Q 1:15 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.
1Q 0:54 Kortney Dunbar made Three Point Jumper.
2Q 4:20 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.
OT:21 Kortney Dunbar missed Three Point Jumper.

http://espn.go.com/womens-college-basketball/playbyplay?gameId=400831644

Dunbar is shooting 40% overall and 34% from 3 for the season. Before overtime, she had hit 3-6 (50%) shots, all from 3. Your statement that Dunbar "shot her season average" doesn't compute with me. Neither does the idea that Nared was shooting better. Nared was 1-2 from 3 (3-9, overall).

Now, Reynolds was 2-2 but those are small samples sizes. There's a lot more evidence that Dunbar can shoot the 3 (34% for the season) than there is that Nared (30.4%) or Reynolds (27.3%) can.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dunbar is shooting 40% overall and 34% from 3 for the season. Before overtime, she had hit 3-6 (50%) shots, all from 3. Your statement that Dunbar "shot her season average" doesn't compute with me. Neither does the idea that Nared was shooting better. Nared was 1-2 from 3 (3-9, overall).

Now, Reynolds was 2-2 but those are small samples sizes. There's a lot more evidence that Dunbar can shoot the 3 (34% for the season) than there is that Nared (30.4%) or Reynolds (27.3%) can.

Talk about small sample size. Dunbar took 1 shot in OT but you don't want to count it because 50% (3 of 6) sounds so much better than 42% (3 of 7). Because if you count that 1 shot she would be closer to her season shooting percentage of 40% which is what I stated.
So 50% it is. This is significantly different than making 3 of 3 as in the original post or making 3 of 4 as in the post I was responding to.
Go back and read my post I never said Nared and Reynolds were shooting better than Dunbar. I said they were shooting better than Dunbar from 3 Point range-Unless you want to play the small sample size card again. 1-2, 2-2 > 3 of 7.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Well, if the question is why didn't Dunbar play more in the 2nd half, the 3 she missed in OT didn't factor into Warlick's decision-making.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom