Tennessee @ ND | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Tennessee @ ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree that at this point UConn should beat either ND or Tennessee by 15-20 points, assuming everyone is healthy on both teams. But I wouldn't diminish UConn's "areas for improvement" as much as you appear to do. UConn has had a consistent problem this year with allowing too many offensive rebounds (although not a lot of second-chance points).
UCONN situation on the offensive boards is more about holding opponents to bad shots and getting out and challenging them. When you shoot over 52% and hold opponents to low 30s it is not uncommon to get out rebounded on the offensive boards. Can they improve sure there is always for improvement.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I think this year's ND team is comparable to last year's Stanford or Maryland.

2014-2015 ND - 1.11 offensive points per possession, .81 defensive points per possession
2013-2014 ND - 1.13 OPPP, .81 DPPP
2013-2014 Stan - 1.08 OPPP, .84 DPPP
2013-2014 MD - 1.09 OPPP, .86 DPPP

ND is actually running ahead of both Stanford and Maryland's marks last year both offensively and defensively. And only slightly off of last year's ND team on offense.

I guess the counter argument is that these numbers are coming against easier teams due to the overall level of play being down, but even if you factor that in, I'd say ND this year is, at worst, on a par with last year's Maryland or Stanford.

Sorry but I completely disagree. Plus one cannot compare between seasons very well if everyone seems to be weaker.

Reaction Score
Also, I cannot wait to take Diamond to SouthBend next year. She and Jewell could put on a show. Jewell v. Diamond would be a 'shiny' tv matchup.
That's what Tenn. is missing right now- a DD-type player. Next season will be great if they can replace Izzy.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Always enjoyable watching Margo's videos. It seems that she is running around a thought and not coming out and directly calling out the coaches. But, IMHO the best part was her comments on Dee Kantnor ... says that she always has it out for TN, and here I was thinking she didn't like UConn & Geno.

Reaction Score
The Tennessee "bigs" are good athletes, can shoot the ball but are slow. Its guards were mediocre offensively and were unable to anything to impede Loyd. Diamond DeShields could change everything in Knoxville next year provided that she doesn't try to take ALL of the shots. If she tries to get the entire team involved in the offense, a Final Four appearance is likely.

Notre Dame is quick and young and depends way too much on Loyd. If Tennessee had guard(s) who could face guard her, she would have been less a force of nature and someone else (Turner?) would have had to step up. I do believe that ND is going to be a real force in the NCAA tournament.

Reaction Score
Always enjoyable watching Margo's videos. It seems that she is running around a thought and not coming out and directly calling out the coaches. But, IMHO the best part was her comments on Dee Kantnor ... says that she always has it out for TN, and here I was thinking she didn't like UConn & Geno.
I got a kick out of that too: "Everybody knows Dee Kantner and Tennessee don't mix."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Tennessee plays to the level of its competition. Clearly, the LVs can play well, as they did last night, but I've seen games where these terrific athletes look slow and uninspired. It's a puzzle. To me, an elite team approaches every single game in the same way and plays to the same level, whether it wins or loses. Tennessee is obviously a very good team, a top 10 team, but it needs to reach that level of play every single game.
Nan, I think you are biased based upon your rooting interest. Let downs and trap games are the norm in sports. That Geno has managed to keep them to a minimum over the years is part of his genius. (Geno-ness?)

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Nan, I think you are biased based upon your rooting interest. Let downs and trap games are the norm in sports. That Geno has managed to keep them to a minimum over the years is part of his genius. (Geno-ness?)

I agree with Nan. The one constant that Geno and CD bring to the UConn program is the expectation of 100% at every level - practice, plays, games, regardless of the opponent or score. The players know that even if they are wining by double digits, if they are not executing the way it's expected, there will be some interesting discussions while sitting next to CD, and sometimes, a benching that lasts for most of the game. Call me a romantic, but it's like John Wooden teaching his players each year, how to put on their socks. It was always the same.

Reaction Score
It's unfortunate that Tennessee plays to the level of its competition. Clearly, the LVs can play well, as they did last night, but I've seen games where these terrific athletes look slow and uninspired. It's a puzzle. To me, an elite team approaches every single game in the same way and plays to the same level, whether it wins or loses. Tennessee is obviously a very good team, a top 10 team, but it needs to reach that level of play every single game.
You are so right about elite teams (UConn) playing each game and each possession at the same level, almost constantly. I'm sure there's been a letdown here or there but with Geno, it's been very, very short-lived. That's what has helped contribute to the Huskies great success if never (or almost never) taking a single play off. That's like going to see a Broadway matinee with a sparse crowd. Some performers will never give anything but their best performance, no matter the circumstance. Would you have it any other way but to see a players best, minute after minute?

Reaction Score
I agree with Nan. The one constant that Geno and CD bring to the UConn program is the expectation of 100% at every level - practice, plays, games, regardless of the opponent or score. The players know that even if they are wining by double digits, if they are not executing the way it's expected, there will be some interesting discussions while sitting next to CD, and sometimes, a benching that lasts for most of the game. Call me a romantic, but it's like John Wooden teaching his players each year, how to put on their socks. It was always the same.
I wish I had read your post before I submitted mine because though we said it a bit differently than one another, the whole context of your post and mine is quite similar. Well done!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom