Tennessee @ ND | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Tennessee @ ND

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow was my prediction off. ND is not as good as I thought. Great game. Tenn looked really good and imo it is because Graves woke up. Now if Graves continues to play like this for the rest of the season Tenn could win the SEC. You know I was thinking during the game. UConn had an 28 pts turn around on ND and won by 18 at ND. What does that say about these two very very good teams. As good as this game was UConn would've breezed by both of them. Why? Its all about defense. Plus UConn is much better now then earlier in the season. If Tenn improves on defense they will be a final 4 team. With that said Tenn has improved and come a long way. What they need is more consistency because when they play teams like Arkansas they should win by more then they did. This game just may have turned Tenns season around.
I had ND by 10 in the other thread.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
A bit misleading, as Turner didn't play for ND. Score would've been closer.
Negligible. It was a game that was over a month and a half ago. Chong played 9 minutes and Williams played 5 minutes.

First, given the meteoric rise in the play and improvements by Williams, I'd say for starters that would offset some of what Turner brings to the table.

Second, Moriah was firmly mired in her slump and scored 0 points on 0-8 shooting and had 2 assists. You think she'd play that way again?

It's a scenario that is all assumptions and suppositions. But given how much UCONN has improved, especially the play of Williams and Jefferson, to me that offsets almost any improvement Turner gives them. So if the teams play now with the improvements mentioned, but ND getting Turner - would the final score be any different? I don't think so, but it's only my opinion...

Reaction Score
Negligible. It was a game that was over a month and a half ago. Chong played 9 minutes and Williams played 5 minutes.

First, given the meteoric rise in the play and improvements by Williams, I'd say for starters that would offset some of what Turner brings to the table.

Second, Moriah was firmly mired in her slump and scored 0 points on 0-8 shooting and had 2 assists. You think she'd play that way again?

It's a scenario that is all assumptions and suppositions. But given how much UCONN has improved, especially the play of Williams and Jefferson, to me that offsets almost any improvement Turner gives them. So if the teams play now with the improvements mentioned, but ND getting Turner - would the final score be any different? I don't think so, but it's only my opinion...
Come tournament time, neither one of these teams would concern me. We have discussed this before on this board about how it gets "squishy" at some level of the rankings. Right now I would say it gets squishy after 1/2 and we will see how that plays out on Feb. 9.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Did you see the game? Ten of those FT's were in the last minute when Tennessee was intentionally fouling Notre Dame. If ones makes the reasonable move of removing those FT's, the advantage is 17 for ND vs. 10 for Tennessee. Given how many points in the paint scored by the Irish, I would expect some more fouls called.
The advantage on FTAs for the Irish was mainly all in the first half when they outshot the Vols by 12-5 but the scoring margin was only 40-37 at the half. For the first 19 minutes of the second half the teams were even at 5-5 before the Irish got their 10 desperation FTAs at the end. So the foul situation doesn't seem to have been as huge a factor as it looks in the box score.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score

Love those "what if" assumptions by certain BY posters based on hot air. So Turner comes in and meets Kiah. That's supposed to make the score closer? Closer to what? 25? 30? And as you say, with Gabbly on a rebound gobblefest in the paint, what makes anyone blather that the score would be closer? Mindless.

Reaction Score
Impressed how Tenn stayed together and responded to ND runs. Played much better than I expected them to (battled). Considering ND shot 60+ percent and were only down 3 at the half says something. Very impressive on the O boards. I was impressed how ND played a lot of players even when I thought some of them were struggling (Westbeld). Both teams potentially dangerous.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love those "what if" assumptions by certain BY posters based on hot air. So Turner comes in and meets Kiah. That's supposed to make the score closer? Closer to what? 25? 30? And as you say, with Gabbly on a rebound gobblefest in the paint, what makes anyone blather that the score would be closer? Mindless.
I wish I could have liked this about 10 times LOL!

Reaction Score
Breaks my heart we didn't get Turner
There's a limit on how many players we can play with. She was (is) obviously talented but I do believe we've got some serious talent already and the gals that are coming in next year sure sound like they'll be a load for anyone to contend with.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
There's a limit on how many players we can play with. She was (is) obviously talented but I do believe we've got some serious talent already and the gals that are coming in next year sure sound like they'll be a load for anyone to contend with.
I agree but I also agree with Huskyfan1125 and anyone else who wishes we landed Turner or Wilson. Either of those would have been phenomenal for UCONN...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Notre Dame starts 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and a freshman. No seniors see significant minutes, as the top bench players are a junior (Cable) and a freshman (Westbeld). They are playing with house money this year.
Yes, but this year they are nothing special. Many teams normally at the top are in transition years, see Stanford and ND. It is not a strong year in WCBB. Neither of these TN nor ND teams would make to the FF most years playing as they did last night. I turned the game off at the half to record other shows.

Last edited:

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Impressed how Tenn stayed together and responded to ND runs. Played much better than I expected them to (battled). Considering ND shot 60+ percent and were only down 3 at the half says something. Very impressive on the O boards. I was impressed how ND played a lot of players even when I thought some of them were struggling (Westbeld). Both teams potentially dangerous.
It's unfortunate that Tennessee plays to the level of its competition. Clearly, the LVs can play well, as they did last night, but I've seen games where these terrific athletes look slow and uninspired. It's a puzzle. To me, an elite team approaches every single game in the same way and plays to the same level, whether it wins or loses. Tennessee is obviously a very good team, a top 10 team, but it needs to reach that level of play every single game.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
A bit misleading, as Turner didn't play for ND. Score would've been closer.
It will not be closer the next time, UCONN has improved vastly since that game. Our bigs will have no problem at all with Turner. Our guards can give Loyd a much tougher time than TN did. We are much quicker than TN and our help defense is much more effective. Even with Turner ND was defenseless keeping TN off the boards, that will not be true with Tuck, Stokes, and Stewart. Neither team matches up well with UCONN.

Reaction Score
We did enough to win on the offensive end, missed paint points aside. Fewer turnovers than ND, same amount of made FG's from the floor, shot the ball well from 3. The difference was defense and rebounding. We've been out-rebounded now several times, and it's because we're getting comfortable and just expecting to dominate the boards. Defensively, we'd been holding people to about 50 pts a game and I think they thought we could just come in and do the same against arguably the best offensive team in the country, and our defense got embarrassed. I will offer no comment of the FT disparity (27-10) The encouraging thing moving forward is that we now know the offense can play coherently and score against a top team without turning the ball over, and we've seen our defensive potential throughout the year. Should we buckle down mentally on defense and build on what we did on offense against ND, we have a nice shot at running the table the rest of the season. In some ways, a big game for us, and in others, a massive disappointment.

Reaction Score
Also, I cannot wait to take Diamond to SouthBend next year. She and Jewell could put on a show. Jewell v. Diamond would be a 'shiny' tv matchup.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Also, I cannot wait to take Diamond to SouthBend next year. She and Jewell could put on a show. Jewell v. Diamond would be a 'shiny' tv matchup.
They played in South Bend THIS year, won't they play in Knoxville next year?

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Some of the Tenn. records mentioned were a bit startling: NO Final Fours, or road victories against top ten teams since Candace Parker and Co. graduated in 2008.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It will not be closer the next time, UCONN has improved vastly since that game. Our bigs will have no problem at all with Turner. Our guards can give Loyd a much tougher time than TN did. We are much quicker than TN and our help defense is much more effective. Even with Turner ND was defenseless keeping TN off the boards, that will not be true with Tuck, Stokes, and Stewart. Neither team matches up well with UCONN.
In the second half last night, ND did a much better job of clearing their defensive boards, and also tuned up their offense to take advantage of Tennessee's overaggressive defense. You missed some very good offensive plays by ND in the second half.

I agree that at this point UConn should beat either ND or Tennessee by 15-20 points, assuming everyone is healthy on both teams. But I wouldn't diminish UConn's "areas for improvement" as much as you appear to do. UConn has had a consistent problem this year with allowing too many offensive rebounds (although not a lot of second-chance points). South Florida, despite a lack of size, had about 20 offensive rebounds, as I recall. Sue Bird even remarked during the game that she sees rebounding drills in UConn's future. If that isn't fixed (and it probably will be), Tennessee could do some real damage there if the teams play in the tournament.

I think the margin of victory over ND on December 6 would have been about 10 points if Turner had been healthy and had played. I agree that it should be better now with the improved play by Moriah. I would like to think that Gabby would also add something to that margin, but unfortunately she has yet to prove herself in competitive games. I hope she gets that chance against South Carolina -- that is a team (big, but on the slow side) against which her skills should be very effective.

I was quite impressed with what I saw of Baylor last night. Their best player is Nina Davis, and their post players are not mobile at all, but they are effective. I would not expect them to lose in the Big 12, and I see them as nearly a certain Final Four team. I hope the regular season series with UConn can be restored as soon as next year.

Reaction Score
They played in South Bend THIS year, won't they play in Knoxville next year?
No, because they played in Knoxville for two consecutive years, we now go there for two consecutive years. not sure why it is this way, but I'm assuming something tv related.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
In the second half last night, ND did a much better job of clearing their defensive boards, and also tuned up their offense to take advantage of Tennessee's overaggressive defense. You missed some very good offensive plays by ND in the second half.

I agree that at this point UConn should beat either ND or Tennessee by 15-20 points, assuming everyone is healthy on both teams. But I wouldn't diminish UConn's "areas for improvement" as much as you appear to do. UConn has had a consistent problem this year with allowing too many offensive rebounds (although not a lot of second-chance points). South Florida, despite a lack of size, had about 20 offensive rebounds, as I recall. Sue Bird even remarked during the game that she sees
Not necessarily saying that UConn isn't maybe allowing a few too many offensive rebounds, and I grumble when the opponents get even one, but the stats aren't that bad for this year's team and is affected by especially one huge factor that is a difficult one but is still maybe one that the team can try to work on in practice. And obviously Geno will likely be focusing on it.

1. If you take the total number of missed FGAs and say two-thirds of the missed FTAs (I'm guessing on what would be a reasonable amount for actual opportunities) and divide it by the opponents' offensive rebounds, last year's Huskies gave up one every 3.56 opportunities while this year's team is at a slightly poorer 3.40, which hopefully can be improved on.

2. On total offensive rebounds we do need to remember that UConn is playing a more up-tempo game this year and opponents are taking 2 more shots per game, giving them slightly more opportunities, though it is not a major factor.

3. The big change is that the opponents have increased their number of three-point attempts hugely from last year, from 28.0% last year to 32.9% of their shots this year, and I'm guessing that's partly due to the presence of the SWAT team in UConn's paint. To me, getting a rebound off a three-point miss is always tougher for the defense because it's much harder to figure out where a carom is going to go, and the shooter usually has the best view of where to go to retrieve it. But getting better at being prepared for a three-point miss is definitely something that the Huskies should probably be working on with the increase in opponents' attempts this year.

4. One stat that could mean something or nothing is that MoJeff's rate of defensive rebounds per minute has dropped hugely from 1 every 11.5 minutes last year to 1 every 16 minutes this year. The whole rebounding setup for the Huskies has changed hugely and Gabby Williams has emerged as a force to change up the stats, but it is possible with the higher percentage of opponent's three-point shots, that MoJeff might be able to track down a few more caroms. Kia on the other hand has a slightly better average on DRebs per minute than an also good-rebounding Hartley last year at 1 every 10.3 minutes, so she may be scooping up more of the caroms that used to go to MoJeff.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
Yes, but this year they are nothing special. Many teams normally at the top are in transition years, see Stanford and ND. It is not a strong year in WCBB. Neither of these TN nor ND teams would make to the FF most years playing as they did last night. I turned the game off at the half to record other shows.

I think this year's ND team is comparable to last year's Stanford or Maryland.

2014-2015 ND - 1.11 offensive points per possession, .81 defensive points per possession
2013-2014 ND - 1.13 OPPP, .81 DPPP
2013-2014 Stan - 1.08 OPPP, .84 DPPP
2013-2014 MD - 1.09 OPPP, .86 DPPP

ND is actually running ahead of both Stanford and Maryland's marks last year both offensively and defensively. And only slightly off of last year's ND team on offense.

I guess the counter argument is that these numbers are coming against easier teams due to the overall level of play being down, but even if you factor that in, I'd say ND this year is, at worst, on a par with last year's Maryland or Stanford.

Reaction Score
Work is going to be fun tomorrow. My AD is a huge Tennessee fan and she is at the ND/Tennessee game. She is going to be in a fun mood. :eek:
Call in dead. It is the only thing to do ;)

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
First of all Tenn lost because of their defense allowing ND to shoot 70% most of the first half and 58% for the game. Second if you want to blame it on fouls which most occurred at the end of the game look at how many games Tenn won this year going to the line many more times then their opponents. The reason Tenn stayed in the game is Graves played like we all know she can play and Tenn shot 60% from trey. If Graves scores like she has and Tenn shoots from trey like they do this game would've been over much earlier. I thought Tenn would lose by 20+ I was impressed with their play. Still to this day going back to the UConn Tenn games Tenn still cant stop the back door plays. UConn killed Tenn with back door plays.

As far as trying to compare the UConn ND game to any other game you cant. UConn dosnt have to be firing on all cylinders to blow opponents out. UConn is at a different level then any other team in WCBB. The Stanford game was a fluke. UConn beat ND at ND with poor chemistry by 18 after trailing by 10 that's a 28 pt turn around.

Bottom line I thought Tenn play better then they have in quite sometime. They lost to ND who IMO is a top 3 team. Tenn lost on the road at ND and was in the game until late in the second half. Don't look for excuses as to why Tenn lost look at how they stayed in the game against a very good ND team and ask yourself why Tenn struggles against lesser teams. JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom