OT: - Syracuse | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm with you on this. Bell is a very selfish player who doesn't rebound and doesn't play any defense. He is not the type of kid we want to bring in. There is no player I would want from that toxic program.
Maliq Brown is a good player. It's hilarious to watch him try to play normal winning team basketball while stuck on that roster. Tons of guys are leaving that program, but he's the guy that actually should leave.

Reaction Score
Also this post from their thread on the Clemson lawsuit:

What exactly is compelling about the status quo even? The ACC has frankly stunk for Syracuse other than a fat check we get to underwrite our programs. There hasn't been any ROI in the ACC vs say UConn who has what 2 national championships since their programs "imploded".

Reaction Score
IMG_3896.jpeg

Reaction Score
Every school fan base should enjoy the now and assume there is no tomorrow for their program. College sports has gone off a cliff of mismanagement and I don’t think it will survive the fall in a format that will be recognizable in 10 years.

The modern era of college basketball will have run from the late 70’s until a few years from now, and UConn will have dominated the latter 60% of that, and no matter what level of glorified minor league the sport becomes, UConn’s achievements will be permanent and never surpassed in the final era when college sports was actually college sports.

Syracuse will have been a chronic mediocrity for the end of that era, and is not in much better shape than UConn for what comes next. The Big 10 and SEC are never coming calling for upstate New York, and Syracuse the university has bigger problem given long-term declining enrollment across the country. A big, expensive private school in a bad location is not going to be appealing to students, and Syracuse's long-term academic decline proves this. There is nothing more to say about Syracuse.
As an institution, it's not clear at all what Syracuse provides to the region.

Its sports programs are mediocre.

There are better research institutions in Rochester (UR and RIT).

High-achieving students from wealthy families would go to Cornell or other higher-ranked private colleges.

High-achieving students from poorer families would go to SUNY schools (Geneseo, Albany, or Buffalo).

What is its niche? Journalism school in an industry that is being strangled to death by corporate interests?

Reaction Score

High-achieving students from wealthy families would go to Cornell or other higher-ranked private colleges.

High-achieving students from poorer families would go to SUNY schools (Geneseo, Albany, or Buffalo).

What is its niche? Journalism school in an industry that is being strangled to death by corporate interests?
I went to Syracuse with my daughter who is good (not outstanding) student. We thought Syracuse was fine. Campus was fine. Town isn't great, but there's enough by the campus to be fine. She isn't going to be a communications major. We really looked at Syracuse as a state-like University. So, once she got into a couple solid public schools, we agreed to take Syracuse off the list. We're not a fan of our home state university, but when comparing Syracuse to comparably ranked public schools (like UConn), it's hard to justify $25k or so extra per year.

Reaction Score
I went to Syracuse with my daughter who is good (not outstanding) student. We thought Syracuse was fine. Campus was fine. Town isn't great, but there's enough by the campus to be fine. She isn't going to be a communications major. We really looked at Syracuse as a state-like University. So, once she got into a couple solid public schools, we agreed to take Syracuse off the list. We're not a fan of our home state university, but when comparing Syracuse to comparably ranked public schools (like UConn), it's hard to justify $25k or so extra per year.
This all make perfect sense...but when you speak to Cuse grads...they act like it's Michigan. I've found that Cuse and BC grads have an over inflated sense of their school.

Reaction Score

Maybe students from wealthy families who could be high achieving or think they are high achieving but couldn't get into Ivy or Patriot League type schools and want to be in a private club. I just don't see the benefit today with costs so high and with alternatives like SUNY with so many locations and privates near Boston and NYC.

Reaction Score
This all make perfect sense...but when you speak to Cuse grads...they act like it's Michigan. I've found that Cuse and BC grads have an over inflated sense of their school.
Academically, BC is actually pretty hard to get into (much harder than UConn). Syracuse not so much. But honestly most employers could care less about where you went to school. The ones who do, you most likely don’t want to work for.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
They have one of those in Rochester too.

There's a Dinosaur in Brooklyn. It's about a 10-minute walk from my place. It's good enough but certainly nothing special. (There are, believe it not, some great BBQ places in NY -- Hometown BBQ is excellent.) But, to be fair, the franchises are never as good as the original.

Reaction Score
Academically, BC is actually pretty hard to get into (much harder than UConn). Syracuse not so much. But honestly most employers could care less about where you went to school. The ones who do, you most likely don’t want to work for.
agree about the level of difficulty...i did legal recruiting for a bit...we grouped folks (undergrad and law) in tiers...Ivy and top tier like Michigan, Stanford, second tier..UCLA, UVA, etc...then Cuse/BC. Maybe some folks with ties view it higher, but we never did. Both good schools, but not where they think they are.

Reaction Score
My daughter (strong student) is interested in the Whitman business school which has a good reputation. We toured there in the Fall and were honestly very impressed with the university and it was her top choice until UConn accepted her with all four years being in Storrs. We have a unique financial situation which will make UConn actually more expensive than Syracuse so there's decisions to be made. Personally I think the Whitman showed better than UConn's business school. Newhouse school is very impressive too and there's a lot of opportunities for cross-discipline studies. These roses are all coming from a UConn alumni and Cuse h8ter.

Reaction Score
My daughter (strong student) is interested in the Whitman business school which has a good reputation. We toured there in the Fall and were honestly very impressed with the university and it was her top choice until UConn accepted her with all four years being in Storrs. We have a unique financial situation which will make UConn actually more expensive than Syracuse so there's decisions to be made. Personally I think the Whitman showed better than UConn's business school. Newhouse school is very impressive too and there's a lot of opportunities for cross-discipline studies. These roses are all coming from a UConn alumni and Cuse h8ter.
My daughter isn't looking at business or communications. Something in health or medical field as of now, but not sure. I found that there are some schools that really focus on the strength of one of their schools when selling the school. That involves talking about all the great things those students do/get. It's a turn off if your kid isn't interested in that school. Syracuse really pushed Newhouse.

If the price of UConn and Syracuse will be similar for you, I'd agree Syracuse is worth the look (as would Indiana with Kelley). Not that you need my approval. UConn, for us, will still be MUCH less than Syracuse (even out of Connecticut). Good luck! It's a freakin' stressful process for the kids these days.

Reaction Score
agree about the level of difficulty...i did legal recruiting for a bit...we grouped folks (undergrad and law) in tiers...Ivy and top tier like Michigan, Stanford, second tier..UCLA, UVA, etc...then Cuse/BC. Maybe some folks with ties view it higher, but we never did. Both good schools, but not where they think they are.
BC is #29, SU is #122. Clearly BC is better.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I have the full stat book for my large local HS college apps and acceptances. Syracuse accepts more sub 3.0 GPAs these days than UConn. Syracuse will take higher risk kids- they need the cash.

Reaction Score
Pretty sure UVA is the same tier as Michigan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom