Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What does this post even mean?

What are you confused about? In the case of UConn's APR issues, the NCAA punished us with a loss of scholarships, as was appropriate under the existing rules. Then they changed the rules so that the punishment for poor APR would be a postseason ban, and applied that rule to a previously existing violation. So we were punished with the scholarship loss, and then they changed the rules and punished us again despite the violation occurring before the rule change took place. This is an ex post facto punishment, which the University probably should have sued over. In addition, the punishments were announced in advance so that they could allow players to transfer away, which further hurt the team's roster.

In the case of Syracuse, the punishment was announced most of the way through the season so that there would be no loss of personnel, and also so it wouldn't hurt recruiting, since next season's recruits have already signed. It doesn't include any loss of scholarships, and it certainly doesn't have the lengthy stink that comes with a postseason ban announced more than a year in advance. The 2012 team played every game with the subtext that the next season would be without postseason. I'm sure that didn't help recruiting.

People are pissed because UConn was punished far more severely than Syracuse is being punished for a far lesser infraction. It reeks of favoritism, because it is favoritism.

Reaction Score
I, nor do you, know all the facts.

I think the APR is garbage but its the rules, 1 year ban if you screw up, we screwed up. We knew the rules and requirements and did not meet them.

I think Cuse will get hit with a scholly or 2 loss still (and a 2 year ban is still an option), but when has a team got hit with a two year ban? Has it ever happened in basketball?

Are you kidding? We knew the rules, but then the rules were changed AFTER the violation occurred. There was no rule on the books for a one-year ban when our APR violation occurred. That was changed afterwards so the NCAA could make an example of us. Meanwhile, Syracuse commits academic fraud to keep players eligible, and their punishment is basically nothing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If it's just one year, hopefully the NCAA gets it right and bans them in the future. They need to suffer with recruiting the way it hurt us. They won't even lose a step at all in any way if they are banned this year.
It can't be if the NCAA is to even pretend to be an effective regulating body. The punishment for a decades of worth of cheating can't be the same as accurately reporting bad APR scores. If it is there is ZERO incentive not to cheat. Zip, zilch, nada. It's got to be at least a two year ban AND forfeiture of wins gained using illegal players. It it isn't the enforcement system will be revealed to be a joke.

Reaction Score
What are you confused about? In the case of UConn's APR issues, the NCAA punished us with a loss of scholarships, as was appropriate under the existing rules. Then they changed the rules so that the punishment for poor APR would be a postseason ban, and applied that rule to a previously existing violation. So we were punished with the scholarship loss, and then they changed the rules and punished us again despite the violation occurring before the rule change took place. This is an ex post facto punishment, which the University probably should have sued over. In addition, the punishments were announced in advance so that they could allow players to transfer away, which further hurt the team's roster.

In the case of Syracuse, the punishment was announced most of the way through the season so that there would be no loss of personnel, and also so it wouldn't hurt recruiting, since next season's recruits have already signed. It doesn't include any loss of scholarships, and it certainly doesn't have the lengthy stink that comes with a postseason ban announced more than a year in advance. The 2012 team played every game with the subtext that the next season would be without postseason. I'm sure that didn't help recruiting.

People are pissed because UConn was punished far more severely than Syracuse is being punished for a far lesser infraction. It reeks of favoritism, because it is favoritism.
Do you realize this is a self imposed ban? Do you?

Has the NCAA ruled? No.

Your posts make zero sense and is not relevant, we had a NCAA imposed sanction, this is a self imposed sanction.

Are you upset Cuse did not ban themselves before the year to affect them more??

Reaction Score
Do you realize this is a self imposed ban? Do you?

Has the NCAA ruled? No.

Your posts make zero sense and is not relevant, we had a NCAA imposed sanction, this is a self imposed sanction.

Are you upset Cuse did not ban themselves before the year to affect them more??

I'm ready to be upset if and when the NCAA deems this to be an adequate punishment. So far, there has been no word from the NCAA despite ample time to make a ruling. If what Bilas says is true, this could be the extent of it, or at least the extent of the postseason bans, which it should not be.

CL82

Reaction Score

I think the APR is garbage but its the rules, 1 year ban if you screw up, we screwed up. We knew the rules and requirements and did not meet them.

I think Cuse will get hit with a scholly or 2 loss still (and a 2 year ban is still an option), but when has a team got hit with a two year ban? Has it ever happened in basketball?
No we didn't know the rules since they were changed retroactively in such a way for it to mathmatically impossible for us to comply with them. The NCAA used old data and applied new rules to them, even though they had already sanctioned us for the same event in the prior year. The NCAA refused to use current data, under which we were in compliance and would not have been sanctioned.

Did you just come out of coma?

Reaction Score
To be clear, the issue isn't the 1 year ban. Its the fact that Syracuse can self impose that ban in a year they already know they arent making the tournament. Maybe a 1 year ban is adequate, but it should be for next year, not this.
Cuse can do whatever the hell they want, that is why it is called a self imposed ban. If anyone thinks that Cuse should have waited until next year to do they are insane.

Reaction Score
Syracuse can do whatever the hell they want.

The real outrage will come when the NCAA decides that this is sufficient punishment, and everything is back to normal for Syracuse in two months. We were hammered by the media for 2 years -- before, during, and after the ban season -- and nobody, save perhaps Jay Bilas, understood and trumpeted the injustice of our situation.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I think that's the problem. APR is a highly publicized, well-known metric that is transparent. Every school's scores, private and public, are reported (or can easily be accessed). When it comes to cheating, like Syracuse and UNC (and countless others) have done for YEARS, nobody knows what happened.

Reaction Score
We understand this is their suggestion
Our fear is the NCAA will roll over due to ESPN and ACC Pressure
If this is allowed to occur our outrage is justifiable.
ESPN is already beating the drum.
P5 doesn't make it right? That's rolling over to injustice.
It's the typical fan indifference which allows the NCAA inconsitistency in its punishment. If indeed the NCAA goes along with this charade of a suggestion.
A one year self imposed ban this year is ridicules
It's Really a slap on the wrist.

Nobody transfers recruiting for next year doesn't miss a beat, write off a bad year and back in business next year. The kicker on next years broadcast is when the ban is mentioned if at all it will be rationalized by the words Self-Imposed.
Does that sound like a just punishment for years of academic fraud.
Do you think the NCAA would have allow us to miss the NCAA tourney in 2012
No body would have been allowed to transfer , without punishment. No recruits would back away as the punishment is already a done deal.
We might have gone into 2013 with a pretty loaded team. ,played in the last Big East tourney, and even possibly been asked to a P5 conference or won a NC.
To equate missing an ACC Tourney to the last Big East Tourney , is comparing. J- Walking to Homicide. Do you really think the Orange missing this years ACC hurts them that much.
Us missing the 2012 big East Tourney was worse but not as bad as missing it in 2013.
Something was taken from us with no hope of ever recovering it. That was done with mean intentions.
If the allegations at Cuse are True.
A Boheim suspension for a year. and two years ban from NCAA sanctioned post season should be the minimum. Allowing senior and junior players to transfer without punishment. Forfeiting games where ineligible players were used would be a bonus. (I actually thought that was a rule. ) if not why did we sit RB
They can play in that meaningless ACC tourney ,I could care less.
If they were using NCAA rules ,Duke has a play down with Wake, UVA with VMI,
The winners play a best of 3 series. /s

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Lighten up Francis. We will see just how corrupt and P(5) whipped the NCAA is here. From what I've been reading the NCAA wanted a 2 to 3 year ban, Cuse has been holding steadfast at 1. This is all being negotiated. Supposedly this preemptive ban has pissed some off at the NCAA. Syracuse trying to get ahead of it with the self imposed ban and bully the NCAA into looking harsh if they rack on another year. If they're getting away with this it will show just how fixed this deal is.
We already know the fix is in when it comes to the NCAA and certain teams. I honestly don't think they care - who is going to fire them - Congress? The President of Any University? The President of the United States? Raul Castro?

Reaction Score
I agree we should wait til the NCAA rules but it is kind of ridiculous for Cuse to come out with their self imposed ban NOW as they face the toughest part of their schedule knowing full well they aren't going to even be a bubble team after that. It is the equivalent of our football program saying we are banning ourselves from bowl eligibility when we are 3-6 with 3 games left and we still had to face Alabama, LSU and Oregon. In other words it is really no punishment at all. It's an empty gesture they are trying to dress up and make it look like something worthy. But I am willing to wait and see what happens.....

CL82

Reaction Score
My best, and least pessimistic, guess is that Syracuse knows a multi year ban is coming down so it is posturing to shorten it by one year by making a case to start it this year.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
if they really wanted to punish boeheim, they'd institute a lifetime ban on digging in his nasal cavity for life on live television
upload_2015-2-5_13-14-59.png

Reaction Score
Sounds like Cuse is scared to play us at MSG this spring.

Reaction Score
If I was Rak, I would spill the beans on what is really going on up in upstate NY. He should try to screw the program as much as they are screwing him.

Reaction Score
For the entire ride into work this morning, I listened to Greenberg from Mike and Mike go on a tirade about how unfair this was to the kids presently on the team. I really didn't listen to Mike and Mike back then, but was he as vocal in his support of the innocent UConn kids when they went through their ordeal? Before anyone answers, I'm betting NO.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
you think it would make the front page of espn or on of the photos for mens bball... nope a little link on the top right

Reaction Score
Since this is the basketball program's 2nd NCAA Tournament ban for infractions under Boeheim's watch, does this taint his legacy? Two time offenders have a tougher time getting people to forget. Or since there was 22 years between the bans do people forget?

By the way, back in 1992 the NCAA didn't agree with Syracuse's suggested penalties and instituted stronger penalties. The NCAA had more teeth back then though. Now they're running scared from the P5 conferences and I would not be surprised if the NCAA accepts this rather meaningless ban and tells everyone to move on.

N.C.A.A. Calls a Two-Year Foul on Syracuse (1992 infractions announced)

CL82

Reaction Score
"I think the basketball coach should have been aware some of these problems were occurring," he said. "There were some things that could have indicated some problems. Had there been a little more attention to those problems initially, the rest of this would not have occurred."

Can you give him the benefit of a doubt twice?
"Although one violation is one too many, there was no pattern to the violations here," said Kenneth Shaw, the Syracuse chancellor. "This is not a maverick athletic program."

Uh apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32