Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Syracuse self imposes one year ban for THIS season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This isn't final. NCAA may tack on an additional year to the ban, and vacated wins & scholarship losses look likely at this point.

Does this mean the NCAA will vacate their 6 OT win over us in the BET? I also think they should be forced to admit that Devendorf is a punk, even though it's common knowledge.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Please, please tell me this can't happen.....

Here's a quote from their press release: Syracuse initiated the investigation when it self-reported possible infractions to the NCAA in 2007. According to the school, "Much of the conduct involved in the case occurred long ago, and none occurred after 2012. No current student-athlete is involved."

So they spend 7 years investigating, wait until they suck, and then self-impose a ban for this year with a month to go in the season? From the category of you can't make this up.....and I assume there are good odds that they will get away with this, right?
Yes, they can. Remember this is the school that conducted a hush-hush internal investigation about the sexual abuse of two of their BallBoys by the assistant coach and took no action...then when the story comes out several years later the Head Coach verbally assaults the victims....then as soon as the audio tape comes out that implicates that same coach (&conveniently after the Statute of Limitations expires), Syracuse rapidly fires the asst. coach, while the program and the head coach suffers not even a smidgen. They are a dirty, dirty program!

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
EastCoast2, post: 1215871, member: 1935"]Do you know what the violations were?
Know? No, but what I`ve read is that it is a pattern of academic problems going back at least 10 years. If the NCAA punishes that less severely than what amounted to one year of bad grades for transfers, then they are essentially inviting everyone to cheat since the sanction for that for a 10 year period is less than the sanction for accurately reporting bad grades. The problem they are facing is whatever they give Syracuse for a decade's worth of cheating ought to be double d for UNC's 2 decades of cheating. IMO 'cuse ought to tourist wins for each year the ineligible kids were played plus at least a two year ban and UNC ought to get the death penalty.

Reaction Score
Will be totally surprised if they are banned next year. Maybe a loss of a ship or two. P5 power in place now and money talks. The maac, American , Atlantic and any other conference not in a power position would be ripped apart if they were doing what the Orange are doing and have done. UNC is a dilemma for Ncaa and I don't think they know what to do but they will tread carefully here. Big name, big school , long time big money and powerful friends. Not in a million years will you see the death penalty and the line will be way up from there. All told it's at least nice to see the Orange squirrel in there pus.

caw

Reaction Score
Will be totally surprised if they are banned next year. Maybe a loss of a ship or two. P5 power in place now and money talks. The maac, American , Atlantic and any other conference not in a power position would be ripped apart if they were doing what the Orange are doing and have done. UNC is a dilemma for Ncaa and I don't think they know what to do but they will tread carefully here. Big name, big school , long time big money and powerful friends. Not in a million years will you see the death penalty and the line will be way up from there. All told it's at least nice to see the Orange squirrel in there pus.

I doubt they would even lose a scholarship for next year. They are full and it would be a bit odd for the NCAA to make them cut a kid. If they start to lose scholarships it would probably be 2016 class, no recruits committed (signed) from that class yet.

Reaction Score
Coach K chimes in:

Duke's Mike Krzyzewski called the ban "shocking news."

"I feel bad that that's happening," Krzyzewski said. "I love Syracuse, I love Jim and you don't want anything bad to happen to any conference member."

Yeah K, it's awful when they're a member of your conference now but when they were in the Big East they played in the NCAA tourney knowing full well neither Fab Melo or Sutherland should have been playing for them. That's the BS we're seeing here - to think that only this year, when they blow, would be their only penalty is unbelievable and should not happen. Our APR ban was much less of an issue and we suffered for it and may still be doing so. They should ban them next year and some frosh will leave and others in the future will think before they choose! That's "penalizing" not letting them choose

Reaction Score
I f*%&ing hate ESPN.

Well if you were listening to Mike and Mike this morning, your head has most likely exploded. Tons of mock outrage from these fools about how unfair this punishment is to the players on the court, suffering for past transgressions of others. In the positioning of good vs bad - SU good, NCAA bad.

I am so close to the point of not watching college sports any longer. At this point I only watch UCONN games anyway. This is almost entirely on ESPN.

Reaction Score
Well if you were listening to Mike and Mike this morning, your head has most likely exploded. Tons of mock outrage from these fools about how unfair this punishment is to the players on the court, suffering for past transgressions of others. In the positioning of good vs bad - SU good, NCAA bad.

I am so close to the point of not watching college sports any longer. At this point I only watch UCONN games anyway. This is almost entirely on ESPN.

But it was ok for the UConn kids to suffer for a couple guys who left school and didn't finish their work 3-4 years prior? What a bunch of morons these guys are.

Reaction Score
From Boeheim, to ESPN, to even Coach K's response...........this entire thing is a farce. ESPN is the equivalent to Goldman Sachs during the housing crisis, shorting subprime while pimpin it out to its customers. We can point to many reasons on why college athletics has been destroyed, but no matter the reason the core of it all is ESPN. I really hope one day it blows up in their face.

Reaction Score
Self imposing a ban in a year you probably won't make the tourney. Is that the kind of "transparency" they look for in investigations?

Reaction Score
There is a deliberate PR campaign under way to frame the NCAA as the bad guy, by default making SU a sympathetic figure in this process. Which I get. What i don't get is how the University has managed to get all of the media onboard with this plan.

They self reported ( conveniently not mentioning that they continued to do things after self reporting for at least five years)

The transgressions are in the past and no current students were implicated ( ahem.... This has never been a meaningful argument before today )

Syracuse is fully cooperating ( oh, and despite that fact it has taken 8 years to adjudicate these issues )

They have self imposed a harsh punishment ( in the second half of the season, now with dim chances at an ncaa birth )

I noticed on ESPN radio an impressive combination of "they weren't a lock for the tournament anyway" comments, quickly followed up with "but still, it isn't right to punish current students for things that may have happened 8 years ago"

Jiminy cricket. I know all fanbases think espn has done them wrong, but motherjumper you cannot tell me it isn't apparently true in our case.

Reaction Score
If it's just one year, hopefully the NCAA gets it right and bans them in the future. They need to suffer with recruiting the way it hurt us. They won't even lose a step at all in any way if they are banned this year.

Reaction Score
They are 15-7 w/ 9 games left. It is a heavily backloaded schedule w/ 5 ranked teams- 2 games against Duke, and 1 against Louisville, UVA, and ND. They also play at Pitt, NC State and BC. Only home game against an unranked team is Pitt. They could realistically end the season in the 17-14 range. Certain NIT material.

I would have to think the the NCAA has told them it would be 2 years and they threw out a lifeline by offering this year. They know that a 2016-2017 ban and Boeheim leaving would decimate the program

Reaction Score
Do you know what the violations were?
What does it matter what the violations were? There were violations, and if you only get a ban this year + scholarship reductions + vacated wins, then you basically haven't been punished at all. You stink this year so the ban isn't relevant, your coach plays about 7 guys each year so the scholarship reductions aren't relevant, and total wins is meaningless so who cares if some are vacated.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
pnow15 said:
Banning is too light a punishment. We need to kill any sonobitch that ever took a shot for them. Kill their wives, burn down their houses. Decorate the outside of the the student center with Boeheim's body.
Lighten up Francis. We will see just how corrupt and P(5) whipped the NCAA is here. From what I've been reading the NCAA wanted a 2 to 3 year ban, Cuse has been holding steadfast at 1. This is all being negotiated. Supposedly this preemptive ban has pissed some off at the NCAA. Syracuse trying to get ahead of it with the self imposed ban and bully the NCAA into looking harsh if they rack on another year. If they're getting away with this it will show just how fixed this deal is.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I will give Syracuse message boards mods credit that you have to be a member to look at any threads discussing the ban. Our board would be full of trolls kicking our teeth in with no lifeboat from the higher ups.

I can still read them. Just don't post anything.
They don't know anything either.

Reaction Score
I do not understand why people are upset or who they are upset at?

Syracuse did the right and smart thing imposing the ban this year.

Are their violations worthy of a 2 year ban? If you think they are, why? What is the precedent to say they are?

It is not the NCAA's fault Syracuse is bad this year or is it the NCAA's job to wait to punish until they are good. That is not how it works.

Really weird the reaction here.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Are their violations worthy of a 2 year ban? If you think they are, why? What is the precedent to say they are?

It is not the NCAA's fault Syracuse is bad this year or is it the NCAA's job to wait to punish until they are good. That is not how it works.

Is this sarcasm? http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...mentboeheim_hearing.html#incart_story_package http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/11/17/syracuse-orange-ncaa-investigation-ymca

NCAA changed its rules, applied them retroactively, and repunished...UConn's punishment was announced in advance. It crippled recruiting and caused several key contributors to transfer from the school UConn for those same academic problems by banning them from postseason

Last edited:

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
UCONN's APR penalty: 1 year postseason ban (also recognized by our Big East conference mates), loss of 2 scholarships, and allowing players to transfer freely without sitting out 1 year.

Syracuse's crimes/infractions seem to me to be more severe than some stupid APR metric.

Therefore, Syracuse should be penalized with a multiple year postseason ban, loss of scholarships, and players to transfer out freely.

Will this happen? Of course not. The NCAA will likely "assign" the Stone/Newman combo to Syracuse next season and punish UCONN for allowing kids to pet Jonathan at games.

Reaction Score
Is this sarcasm? http://www.syracuse.com/orangesport...mentboeheim_hearing.html#incart_story_package http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/11/17/syracuse-orange-ncaa-investigation-ymca

NCAA changed its rules, applied them retroactively, and repunished... @NoEscalators: 4) UConn's punishment was announced in advance. It crippled recruiting and caused several key contributors to transfer from the school UConn for those same academic problems by banning them from postseasonUConn gets banned from the tourney
What does this post even mean?

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Do you think UCONN's APR infraction was worse than what Syracuse has done for years (2007-2012)? If not, then the penalty benchmark given by the NCAA is a 1 year postseason ban, loss of 2 scholarships and free transfers.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Do you think UCONN's APR infraction was worse than what Syracuse has done for years (2007-2012)? If not, then the penalty benchmark given by the NCAA is a 1 year postseason ban, loss of 2 scholarships and free transfers.
It goes back to early 2000s

Reaction Score
I, nor do you, know all the facts.

I think the APR is garbage but its the rules, 1 year ban if you screw up, we screwed up. We knew the rules and requirements and did not meet them.

I think Cuse will get hit with a scholly or 2 loss still (and a 2 year ban is still an option), but when has a team got hit with a two year ban? Has it ever happened in basketball?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom