Sure this sucks for us, but imagine how Cinci feels | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Sure this sucks for us, but imagine how Cinci feels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nick, perhaps it's not the comprehension. Maybe it's your delivery?

Regardless, you had implied that Delaney's Jersey roots played a role in your invitation to the Big Ten. My comment about DeFilippo implied that where you're from has nothing to do with anything in this context -- only the putative number of TV eyeballs matters.

@Geez thank's!!No one here would have thought of that little nugget of wisdom??I only implied he "understood" the market from experience and instinct!!Your value is quite similar to the B1G!!

Reaction Score
We would love to give BC back. Syracuse is less of a question mark. They have a good piece of the NYC market. They have fans (transplants) all over the east coast as well. I dont hear a lot about Rutgers except in NJ.

@NJ alone is as mammoth as NYC if not bigger and we have 4 time's the FB fan's in NYC proper!!Google it!!Only SU fan's and the delusional believe otherwise!!Or just count the block R's vs block S's to get an idea in NYC!!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
I'm not sure what I'm more shocked to see: a Louisville fan who thinks they saved the ACC, or a BC fan who thinks it would be good for NE football for UConn and BC to play every year.

Reaction Score
Keep grasping for straws.......B.C has had many many good years........and a loooooooooong history excluding the big boys and of course the places that have nothing else to offer (perhaps where you live) -In this day and age with attendance on the decline for college ball - who sells out every game? I mean if B.C. can avg around 40,000 for a home game in a city with so much to offer and dozens and dozens of schools and universities dividing attention and loyalties I will take it. Miami has not really done any better. You seem to forget that small private schools have half and sometimes only a third of the enrollment of big state schools and universities. Please stop comparing apples and oranges. Wake, Duke, B.C. (14,500) etc don't have the numbers period, as a FSU or a U Conn (30,000+). Sorry but you just dont have an argument. Its not the numbers, its the passion and pride. EVER TO EXCEL!

@I agree with you on this one!!BC has 3 times the juice as SU in NJ and NYC area in FB!Outside of hoop's SU is nearly irrelevant outside CNY!Even in Western NY UBuffalo has more fan's!!SU is almost a "mirage"!!

Reaction Score
I just sense that Louisville fans fail to grasp their place in this world.

There's a reason they were the last rats off the sinking ship, not the first.

They should just thank their stars that they had more appeal to the hayseed contingent of the ACC than we did and stop trying to convince the world that they're something other than the last one to leave the island of misfit toys.

Say what you will about Louisville, but the fact is they are in and we are out. Their AD did his job, ours did not. UConn is on the outside looking in. They are not. That is all that matters. UConn is not next in line for anything. The administration has stated that they are embracing the AAC. Board of Trustees is embracing the AAC. That says it all about UConn's future.

Reaction Score
@Nicky…No problem. I don’t take myself that seriously to be offended. My overall point is that I am not sure if the B1G would have taken only 1 school. They wanted a pair for a range of reasons, thus, I do not believe Rutgers and/or Maryland would have been invited to the B1G at this time without each other or another partner.
Now, back to reading the Globe about BC in the ACC as I am in Boston this week for work. Only problem, I am still looking – lots on the Sox, some on the Yanks (amazed how much press the Globe gives to the Yanks), a bit on the new Brooklyn ‘Celtics,’ a page on Hernandez, some updates on the Pats. Yep, even with college football starting in a month in a half, zip on BC and the ACC. Wait, ah, there is still a page on-line dedicated to BC’s 2011 hockey championship :rolleyes:

@As usual Mr Conehead..a reasonable conclusion on CR in the BE!!I guess the truth is probably somewhere in between!?!

Reaction Score
I agree Cinn makes more sense for the Big 12 as a WV partner.
But they practically share a market with Louisville
Cinn is a small town. There are more people in Mesa AZ. than Cinn
It is as much a mid-south town as it is mid-west. their airport is in Kentucky.

Cincy's metro is 2.2 million people--about 2x the size of Louisville's metro population. (Population of the city is small, but that is only because it's geographically small and surrounded by tons of suburbs.) There's really no overlap with Louisville market-wise, which is about 100 miles away. Cincy has a slightly smaller market than metro size because they abut so many other TV markets within 75-100 miles (Columbus, Indy, Dayton, Lexington, etc.).

The Bearcats' real problem IMO is fanbase-related. Cincy is very much a pro sports town and in football and basketball, it's questionable whether the Bearcats are more popular than Ohio State or Kentucky.

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what I'm more shocked to see: a Louisville fan who thinks they saved the ACC, or a BC fan who thinks it would be good for NE football for UConn and BC to play every year.
The difference being I am SANE and not delusional. Bury the past and move forward. What gets accomplished by holding grudges? Our old A.D. is gone and so is Calhoun. Even your governor called for a renewal, two schools 80 miles apart who have a dislike for each other. All the ingredients are there, so lets settle it on the playing field and bb court. Now all we need is a trophy gimmick, like a bucket or an axe, (used in other rivalries) etc...lol.....but something unique to New England.

Reaction Score
Now all we need is a trophy gimmick, like a bucket or an axe, (used in other rivalries) etc...lol.....but something unique to New England.

A Pegasus-like sculpture for the winner of the annual "BirdDog Brawl"

Reactions: pj

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Now all we need is a trophy gimmick, like a bucket or an axe, (used in other rivalries) etc...lol.....but something unique to New England.

I'm thinking a piece of scrimshaw.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The difference being I am SANE and not delusional. Bury the past and move forward. What gets accomplished by holding grudges? Our old A.D. is gone and so is Calhoun. Even your governor called for a renewal, two schools 80 miles apart who have a dislike for each other. All the ingredients are there, so lets settle it on the playing field and bb court. Now all we need is a trophy gimmick, like a bucket or an axe, (used in other rivalries) etc...lol.....but something unique to New England.
How about this?

I'm thinking it would look pretty good out in front of the Rent. Sure it would be expensive to move the first game but it's not like we'd incur that cost a second time.

Reaction Score

It's not only sanity it's common sense.

GDF, and by extension Fr. Leahy, did more to set back college athletics in New England than their predecessors who allowed a major gambling scandal (well, two actually) to take place on the Heights. They were so fixated on keeping UCONN down and their vengeance for the lawsuit that they lost site of what would be in the long-term best interest of BC. And what would have been in the long-term best interest for BC was heightened interest throughout New England in major college football. A viable UCONN goes a long way in that effort and a budding rivalry on the grid iron would have been huge and I think it would have quickly been in a packed Foxboro. Use your competition as an opportunity and grow the market.

I don't know anything about GDF other than what I saw and read of him in the press. But, he is obviously not a business person and appeared to be an emotional and reactionary person with a large and very fragile ego. His comments to the press regarding ESPN and UCONN were borderline grossly negligent to BC, the ACC and ESPN. In no other major institution than BC does that idiocy allow someone to retain their job. It will take BC years to overcome the damage he did to their athletic programs.

UCONN and BC should play. My only hope is that with the current conference issues UCONN can remain competitive until the next major bout of realignment.

Reaction Score
There is nothing to settle on the bball court until BC is relevant again, until then we'll continue to play Harvard because they offer better competition. Football would be fun

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
For the love of all that is good and holy do I have any ability as OP to delete this thread?

No, but you can try to learn from your mistakes.

Reaction Score
@As usual Mr Conehead..a reasonable conclusion on CR in the BE!!I guess the truth is probably somewhere in between!?!

Unless one of us Rutgers’s or UConn’s President or AD or one of the P5 conference presidents, I agree. Looking at my payslip, I know I am not. :(

Reaction Score
It's not only sanity it's common sense.

GDF, and by extension Fr. Leahy, did more to set back college athletics in New England than their predecessors who allowed a major gambling scandal (well, two actually) to take place on the Heights. They were so fixated on keeping UCONN down and their vengeance for the lawsuit that they lost site of what would be in the long-term best interest of BC. And what would have been in the long-term best interest for BC was heightened interest throughout New England in major college football. A viable UCONN goes a long way in that effort and a budding rivalry on the grid iron would have been huge and I think it would have quickly been in a packed Foxboro. Use your competition as an opportunity and grow the market.

I don't know anything about GDF other than what I saw and read of him in the press. But, he is obviously not a business person and appeared to be an emotional and reactionary person with a large and very fragile ego. His comments to the press regarding ESPN and UCONN were borderline grossly negligent to BC, the ACC and ESPN. In no other major institution than BC does that idiocy allow someone to retain their job. It will take BC years to overcome the damage he did to their athletic programs.

UCONN and BC should play. My only hope is that with the current conference issues UCONN can remain competitive until the next major bout of realignment.
I am a member of the B.Y. because I enjoy exchanging points of view and try to adhere to being a considerate guest of sorts. Her is my point of view.

1. The gambling scandal has nothing to do with whats happening today. Nothing is ever allowed and baby sitting students 24-7 is impossible, hence the post season ban for U Conn for its recent infractions. I don't care, nor have ever used it as a negative when discussing U Conn on any site or blog. My thinking...! happens all over the country at all types of schools. Im not entertaining any discussion on that subject its irrelevant to B.C. and U Conn playing.

2. Gene is gone and yes he had a pretty big ego. In my opinion his one most important contribution was guiding B.C. into the A.C.C. His worst move...HIRING SPAZ AND LEAVING THE FB PROGRAM IN A SHAMBLES. He was very unpopular for his aloof attitude with the fan base and alums. His retirement was most welcomed, even celebrated in some circles. You get the picture. His leaking privy information with regards to ESPN, the A.C.C. and B.C. was getting caught with his pants down so to speak. You cant defend that and he had to own it. The fact is that he had scheduled his retirement a year prior to that incident. I feel the President and higher powers took that into consideration knowing full well his days were numbered anyways, and the new A.D. search had not even begun. If he was fired he still gets paid, and B.C. now has an empty A.D. position. Perhaps the decision not to fire him was based on money. Who knows for certain.

3. B.C athletics are in the recovery period under new leadership. BB is a smart outgoing guy who communicates with alums and fans in person (town hall mtgs) and via social media. I feel confident that he would be a great partner to deal with, in regards to reconnecting U Conn and B.C. on the field and across athletics in general.

4. I am a vocal supporter of the Big 3, U Conn, U mass, and B.C. playing in all sports as often as possible. These three programs play a national schedule and represent New England college athletics to the rest of the country on a regular basis. U Mass is where U Conn used to be more than a decade ago and they are investing heavily right now in new facilities for FB and BB. In short I hope to see B.C. and U Conn playing football and bb every year. Perhaps new leadership and a willingness to do whats best for the student athletes (easy travel). The fans will get to see more local games, that are affordable as in day trips versus traveling outside the region. Not to mention supporting our local economies. The biggest prize would be packing Gillette, the Rent, or Alum Stad. on a crisp fall afternoon and slugging it out for the annual trophy/prize and bragging rights.

U

UConn9604

I am a member of the B.Y. because I enjoy exchanging points of view and try to adhere to being a considerate guest of sorts. Her is my point of view.

I agree with much of what you've said and I appreciate your candor and respect as a visitor. I'm biased, but I don't share your confidence that BC's basketball and football are on a rebound (I think the former was built based on local rivalries with Providence, Connecticut et al. in the Big East and the latter was built on a lack of competition in the northeast). Simply put, I think you guys are in real trouble, sans hockey, because the BC brand has been changed, diluted and/or phased out.

Also, I agree with your last sentiments in principle, but it will be a long time before UMass matches what we've accomplished in 10-15 short years in terms of football. UMass is facing all of the same problems we've faced in Connecticut (in terms of increasing our exposure to our own citizens and legislature, and getting greater support for expansion and new facilities) but with none of the results. They're pretty similar institutions (strong research institutions away from the capital cities, located in states with world-class private institutions) but the general trends are that we're climbing and UMass is falling.

Fun fact: in 1993, UMass and BC were equally ranked in U.S. News & World Report. True story.

As for UConn and BC playing again soon, I'd love to see an end-of-season regional game in football (think Clemson-USC) in the afternoon, followed by an evening early-season basketball game in the same region (The Rent/XL Center, Alumni/Conte Forum) on the same day so that fans could attend each one. I think that once we get our long-term conference future stabilized, whether it's in the ACC or somewhere else, that afternoon could be an all-day affair on ESPN or ESPN2.

Reaction Score
I agree with much of what you've said and I appreciate your candor and respect as a visitor. I'm biased, but I don't share your confidence that BC's basketball and football are on a rebound (I think the former was built based on local rivalries with Providence, Connecticut et al. in the Big East and the latter was built on a lack of competition in the northeast). Simply put, I think you guys are in real trouble, sans hockey, because the BC brand has been changed, diluted and/or phased out.

Also, I agree with your last sentiments in principle, but it will be a long time before UMass matches what we've accomplished in 10-15 short years in terms of football. UMass is facing all of the same problems we've faced in Connecticut (in terms of increasing our exposure to our own citizens and legislature, and getting greater support for expansion and new facilities) but with none of the results. They're pretty similar institutions (strong research institutions away from the capital cities, located in states with world-class private institutions) but the general trends are that we're climbing and UMass is falling.

Fun fact: in 1993, UMass and BC were equally ranked in U.S. News & World Report. True story.

As for UConn and BC playing again soon, I'd love to see an end-of-season regional game in football (think Clemson-USC) in the afternoon, followed by an evening early-season basketball game in the same region (The Rent/XL Center, Alumni/Conte Forum) on the same day so that fans could attend each one. I think that once we get our long-term conference future stabilized, whether it's in the ACC or somewhere else, that afternoon could be an all-day affair on ESPN or ESPN2.
Sorry but i don't agree and I am well aware of whats going on within the B.C. circles. The rebirth has begun at all levels including the new master plan that is being unveiled in early fall. New facilities and updating others etc. The money being garnered from the A.C.C as well as a huge established endowment will be more than enough to carry out their vision. B.C. has along history as and is very well respected in the academic circles and continues to be a top ranked school. The name for athletics is somewhat tarnished but not broken. Certainly not vanishing or whatever phased out means. I think your speaking from a more wishful point of view. The results will speak for themselves's in the near future.

Reaction Score
Sorry but i don't agree and I am well aware of whats going on within the B.C. circles. The rebirth has begun at all levels including the new master plan that is being unveiled in early fall. New facilities and updating others etc. The money being garnered from the A.C.C as well as a huge established endowment will be more than enough to carry out their vision. B.C. has along history as and is very well respected in the academic circles and continues to be a top ranked school. The name for athletics is somewhat tarnished but not broken. Certainly not vanishing or whatever phased out means. I think your speaking from a more wishful point of view. The results will speak for themselves's in the near future.

Nothing debunks our wishful thinking like relying on future results. :)

U

UConn9604

The name for athletics is somewhat tarnished but not broken. Certainly not vanishing or whatever phased out means. I think your speaking from a more wishful point of view. The results will speak for themselves's in the near future.

That's the thing about sports predictions -- one of us will be right, and we'll find out soon enough. I just think that BC no longer stands out, that's all.

Let's put it this way: I think BC will have more in common with Wake Forest than any other school in the ACC, but time will tell.

Reaction Score
No, but you can try to learn from your mistakes.

Got it. Never start any thread for the chance BCU, Ville, and RU fans will stumble into and start bickering for whatever reason.

Reaction Score
@ BCINGYA
Thanks. I agree with most of what you said, except 3 items.
First, BC’s basketball team is a mess, too. Scoring tickets at Chestnut Hill for an UConn/BC basketball game when I was in Storrs in the mid 90’s was a lot of fun because the games were always hard fought and visiting Boston was great. Today, BC can’t beat Harvard and can barely beat Holy Cross.
Second, BC is going to face certain challenges that UConn will not have to in terms of expanding and updating facilities. Those challenges are named Boston and Newton. I still remember Councilors from both cities screaming for BC to build more on-campus housing to keep BC students off of their streets. The moment BD tried to build more housing, the same folks scream that such a move will bankrupt the landlords in both towns who need that revenue. Good luck.
Third, from a football standpoint, UMass (Amherst) is screwed. Their attendance at Gillette during their first year in I-A was a disaster, which has killed interest in expanding their on-campus stadium. UMass also continues to be seen as a ‘back-up’ school by most families in metro Boston, which is reflected in the funding that they receive from Beacon Hill. That funding pie is also going to get smaller for the Amherst campus with UMass Boston looking to add dorms and now a very politically savvy President at UMass Lowell who is moving their programs up to I-A.
Overall, I agree that a strong BC/UConn rivalry would greatly benefit New England college sports. Unfortunately, UConn’s gut reaction during the first ACC raid hurt us (though, every school has sued each other at one point in the old Big E) early on BC’s and others’ continued anger/jealously/fear towards UConn since has only hurt that rivalry even more. I am not sure if it ever happen, now.

Reaction Score
That's the thing about sports predictions -- one of us will be right, and we'll find out soon enough. I just think that BC no longer stands out, that's all.

Let's put it this way: I think BC will have more in common with Wake Forest than any other school in the ACC, but time will tell.

I agree with you. Boston doesn't carry the Boston market which is a big problem for them. The ACC gets tougher this year making it even harder for them to stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom