Sure this sucks for us, but imagine how Cinci feels | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Sure this sucks for us, but imagine how Cinci feels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's the thing about sports predictions -- one of us will be right, and we'll find out soon enough. I just think that BC no longer stands out, that's all.

Let's put it this way: I think BC will have more in common with Wake Forest than any other school in the ACC, but time will tell.
I know a veiled insult when I read one lol, hey thats cool .....you know the old saying...opinions are like a**!** everybody has one. Its all good. Yes we will soon enough. Applicants are at an all time high, plenty of money in the piggy bank, new facilities coming, new leadership within the athletic department and a stable secure conference. We shall prosper my friend. Thanks for chatting I like to hear other folks perspectives even if i don't agree.

Reaction Score
I know a veiled insult when I read one lol, hey thats cool .....you know the old saying...opinions are like a* ! everybody has one. Its all good. Yes we will soon enough. Applicants are at an all time high, plenty of money in the piggy bank, new facilities coming, new leadership within the athletic department and a stable secure conference. We shall prosper my friend. Thanks for chatting I like to hear other folks perspectives even if i don't agree.

Peeling back athletics for a moment, Wake Forest and BC are comparable in many ways. Both are religious based (Jesuit, Baptist), national liberal arts universities (US News ranking BC #31, WF #27), with similar endowments (BC $1.6B, WF $1.5B), BC is bigger (BC 9,000 undergrads, WF 4,800 undergrads); but, WF has a medical school while BC does not (both have law schools).
With respect to athletics, both are negatively impacted by their location. BC is challenged by being in a very pro-centric sports city while Wake Forest is the poor little sister to Duke and also has to deal with UNC and NC State.
Of course, I would live in Boston, even during a blizzard, any day of the week over Winston-Salem.

Reaction Score
Peeling back athletics for a moment, Wake Forest and BC are comparable in many ways. Both are religious based (Jesuit, Baptist), national liberal arts universities (US News ranking BC #31, WF #27), with similar endowments (BC $1.6B, WF $1.5B), BC is bigger (BC 9,000 undergrads, WF 4,800 undergrads); but, WF has a medical school while BC does not (both have law schools).
With respect to athletics, both are negatively impacted by their location. BC is challenged by being in a very pro-centric sports city while Wake Forest is the poor little sister to Duke and also has to deal with UNC and NC State.
Of course, I would live in Boston, even during a blizzard, any day of the week over Winston-Salem.
Hi, very well said stated and I appreciate your knowledge! Challenges can be met and overcome. Look at what U Conn built in such a short time. Thats why I try to remain focused on the future, every school has areas that need improvement including athletics. Your a breath of fresh air presenting some hard data and making your point without being hostile. I have met many people like yourself, and some people who are not so polite. Im pro U Conn to the p5 and support B.C.. I don't feel they have to be mutually exclusive.

Reaction Score
Im pro U Conn to the p5 and support B.C.. I don't feel they have to be mutually exclusive.

Unfortunately you former AD and current President had the exact opposite view and acted accordingly. Very insular, very narrow view of the world and goodness knows they are not business people.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately you former AD and current President had the exact opposite view and acted accordingly. Very insular, very narrow view of the world and goodness knows they are not business people.

I suppose some proof of the rapprochement between B.C. and UConn is the invite to the HE for hockey. B.C. has as much clout as any HE member and they could have nixed our chances there. So did B.C. support us for HE and not for the ACC in the most recent go-around? I doubt they were adamant one way or the other re: the ACC, but did support us for HE. Re: the addition of Louisville to the ACC, even B.C. would want to avoid the inclusion of such a clearly inferior academic institution. It sounds more like FSU and Clemson, 2 ACC football powerhouses, would depart if they didn't get their way. They wanted Louisville so they could have some easy wins in the ACC version of "As schools match wits".

Reaction Score
I suppose some proof of the rapprochement between B.C. and UConn is the invite to the HE for hockey. B.C. has as much clout as any HE member and they could have nixed our chances there. So did B.C. support us for HE and not for the ACC in the most recent go-around? I doubt they were adamant one way or the other re: the ACC, but did support us for HE. Re: the addition of Louisville to the ACC, even B.C. would want to avoid the inclusion of such a clearly inferior academic institution. It sounds more like FSU and Clemson, 2 ACC football powerhouses, would depart if they didn't get their way. They wanted Louisville so they could have some easy wins in the ACC version of "As schools match wits".
I think U Conn to H.E. was a slam dunk, never heard of any opposition from B.C. in the circles I travel. It was rather quiet. Now all of New England is represented in H.E. which is very cool. I feel that the football powers had their minds made up it was L.V. all the way. Once they were placated the G.O.R. was much easier to swallow. I was hoping for U Conn, I mean come on....80 miles apart, playing in all sports, how much fun would that have been. I don't feel B.C. or the other members had a real choice in the matter this time around. This vote was more about securing A.C.C. membership and stability and less about U Conn not being a good fit. This was pure appeasement for FSU, Clemson, and perhaps Miami and V.T. to a degree. It's a bitter pill to swallow accepting L.V. and it's horrible academic profile. Keeping the football powers happy and securing a stable future ($$) for the conference super ceded any L.V. negatives.

Reaction Score
I think U Conn to H.E. was a slam dunk, never heard of any opposition from B.C. in the circles I travel. It was rather quiet. Now all of New England is represented in H.E. which is very cool. I feel that the football powers had their minds made up it was L.V. all the way. Once they were placated the G.O.R. was much easier to swallow. I was hoping for U Conn, I mean come on....80 miles apart, playing in all sports, how much fun would that have been. I don't feel B.C. or the other members had a real choice in the matter this time around. This vote was more about securing A.C.C. membership and stability and less about U Conn not being a good fit. This was pure appeasement for FSU, Clemson, and perhaps Miami and V.T. to a degree. It's a bitter pill to swallow accepting L.V. and it's horrible academic profile. Keeping the football powers happy and securing a stable future ( ) for the conference super ceded any L.V. negatives.

It will come back to haunt the better schools in the ACC, however. Academically, there is an enormous gulf between the better ACC schools and the Louisville's of the world. Consider this scenario - Blue chip recruit wants B.C. (or any of the better ACC schools) specifically and the ACC generally. Can't spell "cat", however. The padres at Chestnut Hill say "no"; so where does he go? Now, this can happen in other P-5 conferences, but the academic gulf seems greatest in the ACC.

Reaction Score
Every time I read this thread title I get pissed off, and it's always right at the top of the list.

The idea that we should care about how Cincinnati feels is so absurd I can't even.

It will come back to haunt the better schools in the ACC, however. Academically, there is an enormous gulf between the better ACC schools and the Louisville's of the world. Consider this scenario - Blue chip recruit wants B.C. (or any of the better ACC schools) specifically and the ACC generally. Can't spell "cat", however. The padres at Chestnut Hill say "no"; so where does he go? Now, this can happen in other P-5 conferences, but the academic gulf seems greatest in the ACC.

I once heard something about a rising tide raising all boats... I have a feeling in a few years Louisville will be a much, much better school academically than they are now.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
This vote was more about securing A.C.C. membership and stability and less about U Conn not being a good fit. This was pure appeasement for FSU, Clemson, and perhaps Miami and V.T. to a degree.
Definitely FSU was leading the way for UL, we have heard Coach K and the tobacco road schools were in UConn's corner. There have been reports that Cuse, who didn't have a vote yet, were advising against UConn. Presumably they think they'll divide and conquer the northeast with BC, they took the position that Flipper had, if that stays the case it makes it harder for UConn to get in the ACC if a spot opens, depending whether who's leaving (if anybody).

Reaction Score
Why so much hate for Cincy? I do feel bad for Cincy. I think they got screwed just as much as Uconn in conference realignment. But Cincy may be in an even tougher position with the OSU factor. Your argument that Cincy made out during the last round of expansion applies to Uconn, USF, and Ville as well. Cincy, USF, and Ville all benefitted from an upgrade in football and basketball. Uconn may not have benefitted from a basketball upgrade but benefitted more than anyone from with the football upgrade to 1A. Of the 2002 Big East football teams, only Temple has not been invited to join a P5 conference. Louisville has taken advantage of the upgrade to the Big East and benefitted further by receiving an invite to the ACC. I see Uconn as being the "next in line" program to receive an invite to the P5, with Cincy also in position to make the jump as well. I think it is only fair that you recognize that Uconn also benefitted from the eary 2000 football expansions. If not for the Big East looking to expand in the late 1990s and early 2000s, Uconn may be in the NBE instead of vying for a spot in a P5 conference. I think Uconn has a much better overall athletic program today than it had prior to 1A football.

Fishy, I agree that Uconn needs to make it clear that they are "next in line" by winning on the field and filling seats at FB/BB games. But the argument that Cincy "made out during expansion and is back where they started" could be applied to Uconn by saying "Uconn made out during expansion and is further along than they started". Please don't take the previous statement as a negative but more as a positive. I think Uconn took full advantage of its opportunity to upgrade football, and has shown that Uconn football has a high upside with its growth in the past 10-15 years. I think before criticizing Cincy and USF for taking advantage of expansion in the early 2000s, you should recognize the growth and expansion that Uconn enjoyed during this same time of expansion. Expansion has benefitted some teams more than others, but I would not trade where Uconn (or Cincy) is today (AAC with likely invite to P5 in the future) for where Uconn (or Cincy) would be today (NBE or CUSA or MAC) without football expansion.

I don't think people realize how integral UConn was to what transpired in the BE in the 1990s. You say UConn benefited from the expansions like Cincy did (if not more) but it's not so simple as that. First off, as a BE charter member, from the very beginning, UConn had the option to jump. Secondly, UConn had been pegged for BE football long before the expansions. UConn joining the BE for football was not a consequence of the expansions, not at all, as it was for Cincy. Third, the conference almost split in the early 1990s, but it was UConn that held it together by convincing some Catholics to admit Miami and the like.

Simply, I just don't buy this argument.

Reaction Score
I don't think people realize how integral UConn was to what transpired in the BE in the 1990s. You say UConn benefited from the expansions like Cincy did (if not more) but it's not so simple as that. First off, as a BE charter member, from the very beginning, UConn had the option to jump. Secondly, UConn had been pegged for BE football long before the expansions. UConn joining the BE for football was not a consequence of the expansions, not at all, as it was for Cincy. Third, the conference almost split in the early 1990s, but it was UConn that held it together by convincing some Catholics to admit Miami and the like.

Don't forget to remind everyone that it was also UConn's consistent domination of college basketball that kept the Big East relevant while the rest of the conference was either down (PC, Seton Hall etc.) or up and down (Georgetown etc.).

UConn kept the conference up with the ACC without much help from anyone else, save Syracuse in 2003. We earned our spot in football on the hardwood, it wasn't charity.

Reaction Score

You went a long ways back to poke holes my quote. Thanks. But I think you missed the point. Yes, Uconn was a founding member. Yes, Uconn BB did great things for the BE. Yes, Uconn was supportive of football programs in the past for the better of the conference. Yes, Uconn likely had an open invitation to join the BE football throughout the years. Yes, Uconn was pegged for the BE football in the late 90's before Cincy.

But it is also a YES, that Uconn benefitted from the BE asking that Uconn improve facilities and promote its football program to D1. Uconn agreed to promote its football program and it has prospered. That was my point.

Reaction Score
You went a long ways back to poke holes my quote. Thanks. But I think you missed the point. Yes, Uconn was a founding member. Yes, Uconn BB did great things for the BE. Yes, Uconn was supportive of football programs in the past for the better of the conference. Yes, Uconn likely had an open invitation to join the BE football throughout the years. Yes, Uconn was pegged for the BE football in the late 90's before Cincy.

But it is also a YES, that Uconn benefitted from the BE asking that Uconn improve facilities and promote its football program to D1. Uconn agreed to promote its football program and it has prospered. That was my point.

I was away on vacation from July 6th until last night, hardly read the Boneyard.

Your point was that UConn was a beneficiary of expansion. My point was that it wasn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom