Stewart Minutes | The Boneyard

Stewart Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
UConn looked awesome. This team has a real shot at a title. If I have one complaint from this game, wish Stewart got more run.

Unleash the wave of criticism for this post.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Games like this are not the time to be experimenting with your freshman unless it’s out of absolute necessity. He’s not as polished as Solo or Castle are at the moment, so he’s not getting as much burn as them. He’ll be ready by February, which is normal for freshman.

Reaction Score
Agree with all of the above. Im mostly playing a version of devils advocate. Could we have won by 5 less points and given him 3 more mins at his home crowd. For the future.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Stewart and Ross had chances to show more during our cupcake part of the schedule. Neither did anything consistent enough to warrant playing time against significantly better competition.

As it’s been said, our 8 man might be the best in the country right now. There’s no shame in not cracking that rotation as a non top 40 recruit.

Our first 6 Big East games are mostly weaker opponents. Stewart is very likely going to see more time in some of those games.

I gotta give it to Solo for not looking lost defensively as a freshman. That’s been key for him not being a liability when the 3 ball isn’t falling.

Reaction Score
Hurley gave Stewart a shot in the first half, wasn't helping us against a good opponent on the road. No shame in that. Hurley got him a nice cameo at the end too. I would have liked to see Newton get Stewart a look on that last possession because it would have been a cool moment.

Reaction Score
i personally really liked that hurley managed to get stewart in to the game for a minute or two in each half -- who knows when (if) we will back in seattle during his tenure here.

that being said, you can't play someone just to play someone. our top 8 is set for the moment and we never really had foul trouble to worry about.

Reaction Score
We’re a loaded team we’re gonna have talented guys who don’t get playing time. Stewart will get some playing time in BE play. Stewart has to only look at Hassan Diarra and Sampson Johnson. Guys who were starters lost playing time and stayed on and now contributing major minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I think Hurley realized that he could have brought Stewart in earlier towards the end of the game. He seemed to have a light bulb moment with less than a minute left, partly due to stoppage of play.

To me that is on the assistants as Hurley is to focused on the game to be dealing with that. I don't think Hurley would have objected putting him in with a minute or more left in the game if his assistant(s) would have reminded him.

Reaction Score
who knows when (if) we will back in seattle during his tenure here.
We've had good home-and-homes with UW in the past. It would be cool if that showed up on the schedule over the next 3-4 years for Stewart

Reaction Score
He blew a rotation on defense and that was the end of his night. You know how Hurley is with defense.

This. I recall him make a similar mistake in a recent game. He was given a chance for minutes but unfortunately did not deliver this time. When we get into lower level conference play he can play. Until then, just get better in practice and then bring it to the floor.

Reaction Score
I assumed he only really got that first half minutes because he was from Seattle. Maybe hoped he would have some home court energy he could tap into.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I assumed he only really got that first half minutes because he was from Seattle. Maybe hoped he would have some home court energy he could tap into.
If he did we wasn’t going to find out in only 3 minutes.

I’m just not sure why Hurley hyped him up in the press conference and said he’s been practicing well this whole time just to do that.

We’re winning and we’re winning big. But it’s the little things that can go a long way sometimes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
If he did we wasn’t going to find out in only 3 minutes.

I’m just not sure why Hurley hyped him up in the press conference and said he’s been practicing well this whole time just to do that.

We’re winning and we’re winning big. But it’s the little things that can go a long way sometimes.
I think it's obvious that Hurley doesn't know what he's doing.

Reaction Score
Think we do go 9 at times, with the layoff would think Hurley felt our starters needed more minutes.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I think it's obvious that Hurley doesn't know what he's doing.
Please don’t imply something I didn’t say. His style is going to win us a lot a lot of games. It’s the little things that would be cool to see more of though.

It made me sad to see how much of Stewart’s family and friends were there to support him and what they got was 3 minutes of him in a blowout and a senior PG going 1 on 1 with a guy instead of giving the hometown kid (who according to Hurley has been working hard and practicing well) the ball in a game that was wrapped up. Those kind of moments matter when wanting to reward someone for doing the right things. If you genuinely feel like they are.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I agree with you on Newton's last shot. I think the plan was to set Stewart up for the shot and due to whatever reasons, Tristen lost sight of it.

Beyond that, I really don't see anything to complain about. Throughout the final eight minutes of the first half we had numerous opportunities to extend the lead to double digits and with the first five or six chances, the Zags cut the lead to around five. For te bulk of the last ten minutes of the game Gonzaga was a mini run away from giving us quite a bit to worry about. That wasn't a game where Hurley was going to give any real run to someone he doesn't fully trust yet. We have too many bodies that he does trust at the moment.

Be patient (I'm sure Stewart is). His minutes will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom