Stewart Minutes | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Stewart Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I agree with you on Newton's last shot. I think the plan was to set Stewart up for the shot and due to whatever reasons, Tristen lost sight of it.

Beyond that, I really don't see anything to complain about. Throughout the final eight minutes of the first half we had numerous opportunities to extend the lead to double digits and with the first five or six chances, the Zags cut the lead to around five. For te bulk of the last ten minutes of the game Gonzaga was a mini run away from giving us quite a bit to worry about. That wasn't a game where Hurley was going to give any real run to someone he doesn't fully trust yet. We have too many bodies that he does trust at the moment.

Be patient (I'm sure Stewart is). His minutes will come.
I just don’t think Hurley’s comments on how he is practicing and how he earned those minutes for this game was necessary if he didn’t actually trust him is all.

I’m simply going off what Hurley said for this one. Like I said those tweets kind of made me sad for Stewart. That’s a huge crowd for him and it can’t be a good feeling if he indeed has been working hard and doing the right things just to not be able to get a chance to play too much in front of them.

Who knows if we’ll be in Seattle again while he’s here.

Reaction Score
I just don’t think Hurley’s comments on how he is practicing and how he earned those minutes for this game was necessary if he didn’t actually trust him is all.

I’m simply going off what Hurley said for this one. Like I said those tweets kind of made me sad for Stewart. That’s a huge crowd for him and it can’t be a good feeling if he indeed has been working hard and doing the right things just to not be able to get a chance to play too much in front of them.

We’re a top 5 program with multiple NBA draft picks on this team. Go to Cuse if you want those moments…………when you’re down 30.

This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

It is possible that Stewart practicing better and earning more trust can be true while with the situation last night Hurley not trusting him enough to play him more than he did can also be true.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
We’re a top 5 program with multiple NBA draft picks on this team. Go to Cuse if you want those moments…………when you’re down 30.

This ain’t no party, this ain’t no disco.
Actually, that’s the type of thing you do when you’re really good.

As an example, different sport but still applies.

Michigan football had this freshman who after their Ohio State win (Semaj Morgan) went on Instagram live and quite frankly said a lot of things he shouldn’t have said about their coach and players out of excitement. What did Harbaugh do?

He let him handle punt return duties for the first time all year in the Big Ten championship game and the freshman almost took it to the house (went out at the 1 yard line). After the game and his instagram live comments, Harbaugh had him be interviewed on national TV for the postgame.

None of those things he had to do if he wanted to just play it safe. But he was so confident in his team and believed in his guys so much he went out of his way to get his guy some shine which was so cool to see and has to have done absolute wonders for that young man’s confidence going forward.

But you have to be willing to take a chance to believe and trust in those guys to do it. Our team is good enough to do that I feel like to not have to be this conservative.

Reaction Score
The game wasn't that close, but it also wasn't such an easy win that we wanted to FAFO.

We beat a Top 10 team on the semi-road by double digits and we're in the Top 5. The staff is doing this all correctly.

Reaction Score
Actually, that’s the type of thing you do when you’re really good.

As an example, different sport but still applies.

Michigan football had this freshman who after their Ohio State win (Semaj Morgan) went on Instagram live and quite frankly said a lot of things he shouldn’t have said about their coach and players out of excitement. What did Harbaugh do?

He let him handle punt return duties for the first time all year in the Big Ten championship game and the freshman almost took it to the house (went out at the 1 yard line). After the game and his instagram live comments, Harbaugh had him be interviewed on national TV for the postgame.

None of those things he had to do if he wanted to just play it safe. But he was so confident in his team and believed in his guys so much he went out of his way to get his guy some shine which was so cool to see and has to have done absolute wonders for that young man’s confidence going forward.

But you have to be willing to take a chance to believe and trust in those guys to do it. Our team is good enough to do that I feel like to not have to be this conservative.
That action by Harbaugh would incentivize that negative Instagram behavior and encourage more pouting.

Reaction Score
Stewart isn’t ready for good competition, yet. Our 8 man rotation is the best in the country assuming everyone stays healthy. Stewart needs to learn and get better in practice, and prepare for a bigger role, next year.
Conference play will let these frosh blossom.

Reaction Score
Please don’t imply something I didn’t say. His style is going to win us a lot a lot of games. It’s the little things that would be cool to see more of though.

It made me sad to see how much of Stewart’s family and friends were there to support him and what they got was 3 minutes of him in a blowout and a senior PG going 1 on 1 with a guy instead of giving the hometown kid (who according to Hurley has been working hard and practicing well) the ball in a game that was wrapped up. Those kind of moments matter when wanting to reward someone for doing the right things. If you genuinely feel like they are.
not a blowout

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
That action by Harbaugh would incentive that negative Instagram behavior and encourage more pouting.
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. He was saying stuff about OSU players and coaches. Not his own guys.

They were just SUPER wild. But he didn’t kill him over it. He coached him and then put him on NATIONAL TV to correct the mistake and show him how to do it right.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I thought it was good he got in at all. This was a big game.

Reaction Score
We weren’t in Seattle for his homecoming. You play homecoming games for veterans. This was a marquee win away from home that we needed for 1 seed line potential.

He can blame the starters for going flat for a while after we were up 18. Lead got down to 10-12 (they had a wide open 3 off an offensive rebound to cut it to 8 they missed). We were always a mistake or two and a 6-0 Gonzaga run from suddenly being in a war with the home team having momentum in front of a fired up crowd, and that’s not the time to have a freshman have a whoopsie moment. We probably played Castle too much yesterday frankly, given that he’s out of sorts. It was Diarra who made a couple plays after it got down to 10 - there’s a reason he was the one who got extended minutes off the bench in the second half.

Reaction Score
For this game when they went back up 14 late in game I think they should have put Stewart in and ran a play for him to get a basket.

As far as PT in general for Stewart and Ross, there are 8 really good players in front of them. Hopefully they see that the entire starting 5 will probably move on after this season, and both of them will probably be starters next year and get more PT here next year than anywhere else they could go.

Reaction Score
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. He was saying stuff about OSU players and coaches. Not his own guys.

They were just SUPER wild. But he didn’t kill him over it. He coached him and then put him on NATIONAL TV to correct the mistake and show him how to do it right.
To try and support your opinion that Stewart should have played more last night, you’re using:
-a different sport,
-a completely different game situation
-the subsequent actions & responses of a slimy smarmy cheater coach

Woof.

Stewart would have gotten more minutes in the 2nd half had (a) Gonzaga not played much better on the defensive side, and (b) we had shot hot like we did in the 1st half. It was a comfortable win, but not a blowout.

He’s gonna get a lot more minutes as we head thru the 1st 8-10 games of the BE schedule, because we’re playing a bunch of the bottom-dwellers

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Giving Stewart more playing time does not automatically mean us losing a lead or playing bad. That’s not the only possibility in this situation. Can’t imagine being his family and reading that’s what most people’s assumption is when he hasn’t had a chance to show that in any big game so far.

At some point, if you expect guys to contribute, you have to trust them in big moments. If you can’t do it when you’re up double digits in a kids hometown then I’m not sure when it’s more likely this season in big games. So we’re definitely not going to trust him in closer games?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Hill.png

Reaction Score

True "Warriors" don't get sad over a freshman not getting much time in a game against a team that showed it could make a run that could turn the game around.
It's easy for us to criticize but we don't know what most worries the coaches as a game progresses.
At least he got into the game. JR was getting high praise pre-season and never got into this game nor a few others. Plus, DH has veterans to keep happy and showcase for scouts. More guys in the league means we're more attractive to guys like CS.

Reaction Score
We've had good home-and-homes with UW in the past. It would be cool if that showed up on the schedule over the next 3-4 years for Stewart
Don’t remember playing UW in Seattle. Played them in 98 in the tourney then a few years later at a invitational I believe in Chicago

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Are you still beating this drum? Why? Who cares? We beat Gonzaga in Seattle, handily, and the response is to complain? Is Stewart your cousin or something? I never see you mention Ross.

I don’t care about him playing in his hometown. It’s not a big deal. You don’t come to UConn expecting to play in Seattle.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I think it's obvious that Hurley doesn't know what he's doing.
yeah thats exactly what HW said Mrs Hurley
It is a really good win and UConn was in control 95% of the game.
I would have liked to seen both Ross and Stewart get minutes in the game. Blaming it on assistants is comical. Missed a defensive assignment? The starters all missed quite a few - especially in the 1st half.
The kids are freshmen so they possibly still have 3 years left to get PT in front of their home town crowd - hopefully.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We've had good home-and-homes with UW in the past. It would be cool if that showed up on the schedule over the next 3-4 years for Stewart
When did we ever have a home and home w Washington?? We played them twice in the tourney, I don’t recall reg season home and away against them.

Reaction Score
I get the sentiment - but if you put them in and then Gonzaga goes on a run and gets within 5 and we have to yank them and put the starters back in then we have 10 threads questioning Hurley's sanity.

Remember all of the threads last year during the losing streak about how Hurley couldn't manage end of game situations properly?

If anything - I put this on the offense tightening up and not extending the lead to 20+ which we easily could have. Then you could have had more clock for the reserves at the end of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom