Sterling Gibbs to Visit Pittsburgh | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sterling Gibbs to Visit Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
But they weren't recruiting sterling, his brother was the focus. Wasn't he just there as family? Not to mention it was awhile ago, the luster may have worn off. Either way if he was really considering us, why wouldn't he schedule another visit?

Why are you asking people to determine what happened on a visit where none of them were present and further, asking them to explain the thought process of a kid they don't know?

He is visiting Pittsburgh and Ohio State because presumably he is interested in potentially attending those two schools.

Past that, everything is a blind guess.

Reaction Score
It's called killing 2 birds with one stone. His brother was visiting, he probably was already thinking of transferring for his grad degree in the back of his mind. Maybe he got along swimmingly with the existing team, popped a little question to Ollie about whether they'd have a schollie open for him if he was able to do a grad transfer, and it blossomed from there in his head...

When I was graduating High School, I was 100% set on attending UConn so I could go to games. I applied to a handful of other schools because maybe it doesnt work out or I don't get in to UConn... is it hard to believe that Sterling Gibbs wants to look at a school officially before announcing that he would like to join the 2015-2016 UConn Huskies? For all he knows, we get a surprise committment from some freshman for next year, and suddenly he needs to pick a different school

Reaction Score
No need for us to debate. You've planted your flag on Gibbs going elsewhere. We can wait for this to shake out and then revisit your wrongness.

You meant to reply to the other guy, right? I'm still in the camp that thinks Gibbs is coming here.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call that the same thing he's getting from the other schools. Does this mean he's not visiting potentially but could still commit? That seems weird.

Hmm, where to start. First, it would've been impossible for Sterling to be on an official while his brother was on an unofficial, which he was. Not sure how UConn could finance Sterling's trip but not Temple's, unless they traveled separately and had separate accommodations (obviously, they did not). Also, Sterling was not eligible for official visits at the time he visited UConn because student-athletes attending four-year institutions can't take official visits until their original school has granted permission to contact. SHU still has not, which means his visits to Pitt and OSU are not "official" visits either.

Reactions: caw

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
This conversation in general makes me weary that #1) we'll get sterling and #2) we'll get the death penalty as a result.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
OSU worries me.

2 4-star PGs in their incoming freshman class and another at SG. While he would be attractive for Matta seeing as they have 0 seniors and 1 junior next year, he knows he'd get more burn here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Granderstaff and Harris pose roughly zero threat to take minutes away from Gibbs.

Sterling Gibbs is a starter playing 35 minutes a game wherever he goes.

Reaction Score
Hmm, where to start. First, it would've been impossible for Sterling to be on an official while his brother was on an unofficial, which he was. Not sure how UConn could finance Sterling's trip but not Temple's, unless they traveled separately and had separate accommodations (obviously, they did not). Also, Sterling was not eligible for official visits at the time he visited UConn because student-athletes attending four-year institutions can't take official visits until their original school has granted permission to contact. SHU still has not, which means his visits to Pitt and OSU are not "official" visits either.

I think you just put a big smile on Huskyforlife's face! LOL So, as of right now, no one in contention is getting an official visit from Sterling. But that fact could just mean, in Husky's world anyways, that Sterling will not be able to commit to anyone!! ;)

Reaction Score
2 4-star PGs in their incoming freshman class and another at SG. While he would be attractive for Matta seeing as they have 0 seniors and 1 junior next year, he knows he'd get more burn here.

And UConn has a 5 star PG coming in and Purvis at SG. Who's on the roster will have next to no effect on his decision unless there's a ridiculous logjam.

If D'Angelo Russell came back you may have a point.

Reaction Score
There has clearly been a disconnect here somewhere along the line. Sterling's decision to transfer was preceded by some very loud whispering that he was going to transfer, and that he'd be transferring to UConn. A couple days afterwards, Slater from 247 announces that he'll be committing to UConn - even though it was two days after his intentions to transfer crystalized, and presumably, he had yet to visit any campus - and Meyer, NBC, etc. immediately piggyback on that report.

Now, the unofficial report that precedes the official report, we see that all the time, it's just the way these things work. Information leaks tend to materialize from the ground up, and the subject in question is very often the last one to state anything definitively.

Somebody that is prominently involved, or at least highly familiar with, the decision making process of Gibbs is telling anybody willing to listen what is going on. Only, that person appears reluctant to go on record, and as a result, we don't know if this is one squeaky wheel or multiple people.

Unless Bruce is willing to divulge his source - and I wouldn't expect him to - something that his camp is saying is inconsistent with what his camp is doing, so either somebody is spreading false information or there is a legitimate hold-up with the fine print at UConn. Somebody say something reassuring.

C

Chief00

I've got no problem with the kid checking out his options. He'd be foolish not to. If we can't withstand challenges from other viable options it's our loss and it will continue to be. I think we're the best choice for him as among those options, and hopefully he will, too.

Quite frankly, that may sound nice but it's BS. Late signing guys you need to close on during or soon after their visit. Maybe in this case there is something unique behind the scenes but don't bet on it.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Maybe he second guess the decision to be sentenced to So. Orange NJ for 4 years and he's making visits so that he is sure. JMO.

Reaction Score
Chief00 said:
Quite frankly, that may sound nice but it's BS. Late signing guys you need to close on during or soon after their visit. Maybe in this case there is something unique behind the scenes but don't bet on it.

Quite frankly, there's a big difference between a typical "late signing", who has presumably been on the market for a long time, and a transfer who has been on the market for a week.

Reaction Score
Did Sterling stay overnight here when he came with Temple?

Reaction Score
andrew slater would have to be an absolute jackass if he dropped that report without any serious intel on the situation, a la direct contact with the gibbs people from hs/aau/shu .

Silk31

Foot Stays on Gas
Reaction Score
andrew slater would have to be an absolute jackass if he dropped that report without any serious intel on the situation, a la direct contact with the gibbs people from hs/aau/shu .
He wouldn't be the first member of the media to do so nor the last

The longer this drags out the less likely Gibbs comes here. Here's to hoping these visits are just doing his due diligence. I also heard rumors that UConn may have told him and his camp to pump the brakes as they wanted to steer clear of any potential tampering accusations that might come up if he were to commit so soon...seems like pure speculation though

Reaction Score
Exactly !

Reaction Score

The longer this drags out the less likely Gibbs comes here. Here's to hoping these visits are just doing his due diligence. I also heard rumors that UConn may have told him and his camp to pump the brakes as they wanted to steer clear of any potential tampering accusations that might come up if he were to commit so soon...seems like pure speculation though

lol, why do people do this? just say you saw the same tweet that was posted on here.

Reaction Score

That might be the most plausible speculation I've heard. It also would explain him setting up official visits to other schools as a way to mitigate against any potential tampering claims. I'm not sure I buy the waiting for grades/release, or waiting to get admitted to our grad school rumors. But guarding against tampering makes the most sense especially if you are in the camp that believes (which I do) that he's coming, and the original media reports, together with the subsequent scheduling of visits to other schools. Maybe I'm just scratching for the silver lining but I put a lot of stock in media reports especially those that have not been retracted several days later.

Reaction Score
Yes, on an unofficial visit recruits can't get out of their cars. On official visits they can run amok.
I thought it was the other way around. At least a couple of decades ago it was. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howler

Top Bottom