Sterling Gibbs to Visit Pittsburgh | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Sterling Gibbs to Visit Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Godfrey was never linked to UConn to this extent, and he was never as much of a priority as Gibbs is.

Agreed on both accounts - just saying that last year it was rumored Godfrey didn't work out due to academics.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I don't think they can put teams on restricted lists when players have already graduated.

It doesn't seems like normal transfer rules apply to 5th year transfers, either- Virginia Tech's Adam Smith, for instance, graduated and transferred to Georgia Tech and can play immediately next year. Usually transferring within conference requires sitting out for 2 years.

See the below excerpt from the link attached:

Graduate Exception
The graduate exception is a version of the one-time transfer exception. It is for student-athletes who cannot use the normal one-time transfer exception because they play one of the sports that are not permitted to use the exception.

• The student-athlete must have graduated with at least a bachelor’s degree;
  • The student-athlete meets the other requirements of the one-time transfer exception;
  • The student-athlete must have at least one season of competition left; and
  • The student-athlete’s previous school did not renew his or her athletic scholarship or offer an athletic scholarship for the following academic year.
The requirement that the scholarship be cancelled or not renewed is generally not an issue. The scholarship does not need to be cancelled before the transfer or be the reason for the transfer. Because the one-time transfer exception requires you to get a release, what will happen with your scholarship is generally just an administrative detail.

http://www.athleticscholarships.net/ncaa-transfer-exceptions.htm

Reactions: caw

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Easy there fellas. One thing to hate Pitt the institution, another thing to misguidedly dump on the city.

Honestly, it would be difficult to find a better place to settle down and still get four real seasons. I have a beautiful house in a beautiful area that costs 1/3 of what it does in Fairfield Cty, along with great cultural amenities, plenty of outdoors stuff to do, one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country, the best ballpark in the US, less traffic and a whole lot less snow.

Here's a list of what Pittsburgh offers.

However, a short drive to the west or south of me and I can even go cow tipping if I get homesick for Storrs.

Anyone who wants to visit, let me know. I can even point you to pizza.

Your description is pretty similar to that of Lousiville, which has additional Midwestern & Southern vibe and an even milder weather. Must be an Ohio River thing, though it'd take someone from Cincinnati to chime in.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Agreed on both accounts - just saying that last year it was rumored Godfrey didn't work out due to academics.

There were several issues, but he had no chance of being admitted to graduate school at UConn.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Easy there fellas. One thing to hate Pitt the institution, another thing to misguidedly dump on the city.

Honestly, it would be difficult to find a better place to settle down and still get four real seasons. I have a beautiful house in a beautiful area that costs 1/3 of what it does in Fairfield Cty, along with great cultural amenities, plenty of outdoors stuff to do, one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country, the best ballpark in the US, less traffic and a whole lot less snow.

Here's a list of what Pittsburgh offers.

However, a short drive to the west or south of me and I can even go cow tipping if I get homesick for Storrs.

Anyone who wants to visit, let me know. I can even point you to pizza.
OT but, I was just out in Bethlehem the other day and was pleasantly surprised. Just passing through but it was nice enough with a lot of decent restaurant choices. The Sands opening up there may have been a driver of that.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, well, many people allow their past prejudices and narrow viewpoints to find such a thing unpossible.

http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/blog...-Hot-Food-Scene-is-Nationally-Recognized-/11/

http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/t...l&utm_term=0_00487f365a-7701af3e97-226281045#

http://www.tastingtable.com/city_guide/national/174

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/di...staff-from-bigger-cities/stories/201305050219

Hell, longtime residents are getting sick of all the hipsters from Brooklyn who keep moving in.

But enough about the positive qualities of Pittsburgh. I'd hate for Sterling Gibbs to read this and think positively.

Sterling... despite what I just wrote, Pittsburgh sucks, Columbus is even worse, and Storrs is where you want to be.
Oh if he ends up there it's on you.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Oh if he ends up there it's on you.

Well, if he comes here and can actually afford to eat at the better places, then something wicked is afoot!

I'm having dinner Wed night with someone who used to be well-connected to Pitt (Howland and team attended his wedding). Not sure if he's still getting good info, but will probe.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
So he's set up visits to Pitt and osu but no Uconn, looks like we got great chances here...

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
He came with his family when Temple was on an unofficial visit.
I wouldn't call that the same thing he's getting from the other schools. Does this mean he's not visiting potentially but could still commit? That seems weird.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call that the same thing he's getting from the other schools. Does this mean he's not visiting potentially but could still commit? That seems weird.

He has visited UConn. It's the exact same thing.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
But they weren't recruiting sterling, his brother was the focus. Wasn't he just there as family? Not to mention it was awhile ago, the luster may have worn off. Either way if he was really considering us, why wouldn't he schedule another visit?

Reaction Score
But they weren't recruiting sterling, his brother was the focus. Wasn't he just there as family? Not to mention it was awhile ago, the luster may have worn off. Either way if he was really considering us, why wouldn't he schedule another visit?
You strike me as the kind of person who would send a text message to someone and compulsively second guess it if the person doesn't respond with 5 seconds.

Reaction Score

So you are privy to what was discussed during this visit?

Follow the timeline. Both brothers were on campus. Shortly thereafter Sterling announces he's transfering. Almost immediately (if not before), rumors surface from multiple places that UConn is extremely high on his list.

Do you really think that Sterling wasn't a "focus" on this visit?

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
So you are privy to what was discussed during this visit?

Follow the timeline. Both brothers were on campus. Shortly thereafter Sterling announces he's transfering. Almost immediately (if not before), rumors surface from multiple places that UConn is extremely high on his list.

Do you really think that Sterling wasn't a "focus" on this visit?

No need for us to debate. You've planted your flag on Gibbs going elsewhere. We can wait for this to shake out and then revisit your wrongness.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom