Sterling Gibbs to Visit Pittsburgh | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sterling Gibbs to Visit Pittsburgh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
you guys realize he could be having trouble/waiting to get into a grad program
My guess is when you get written recommendations from the likes of Kevin Ollie and Jim Calhoun, you typically get into said grad program at UConn.

Reaction Score
My fear is that Seton Hall caught wind and put UConn on a restricted list.

Reaction Score
My guess is when you get written recommendations from the likes of Kevin Ollie and Jim Calhoun, you typically get into said grad program at UConn.

It still has to be one that he wants to do and isn't offered at SHU.

Reaction Score
My fear is that Seton Hall caught wind and put UConn on a restricted list.
I don't think they can put teams on restricted lists when players have already graduated.

It doesn't seems like normal transfer rules apply to 5th year transfers, either- Virginia Tech's Adam Smith, for instance, graduated and transferred to Georgia Tech and can play immediately next year. Usually transferring within conference requires sitting out for 2 years.

Reaction Score
It still has to be one that he wants to do and isn't offered at SHU.
I think the masters program is called "getting to the association". Many have graduated from that "program" at Uconn. Not sure if that is still offered at seton hall.

Of all the crazy things I have read on here lately, assuming the Gibbs commitment may come down to academics has to be on the top.

Reaction Score
I don't think they can put teams on restricted lists when players have already graduated.

It doesn't seems like normal transfer rules apply to 5th year transfers, either- Virginia Tech's Adam Smith, for instance, graduated and transferred to Georgia Tech and can play immediately next year. Usually transferring within conference requires sitting out for 2 years.

That's the thing - "transfer" is kind of a misnomer here. It usually applies to a student who changes schools while working towards a degree. Gibbs, Miller, etc. already completed one degree and would be working toward an additional degree at their next school.

A regular student who received an undergrad degree and a postgrad degree at two different schools wouldn't consider themselves to have "transferred."

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Still feels like a duck to me.

Due diligence to hear out OSU, Pitt is on the way.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
"one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country"

Yikes, this is the kind of statement that yanks threads off course in a hurry so I will try to avoid that by simply saying "no".

Yeah, well, many people allow their past prejudices and narrow viewpoints to find such a thing unpossible.

http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/blog...-Hot-Food-Scene-is-Nationally-Recognized-/11/

http://www.bonappetit.com/columns/t...l&utm_term=0_00487f365a-7701af3e97-226281045#

http://www.tastingtable.com/city_guide/national/174

http://www.post-gazette.com/life/di...staff-from-bigger-cities/stories/201305050219

Hell, longtime residents are getting sick of all the hipsters from Brooklyn who keep moving in.

But enough about the positive qualities of Pittsburgh. I'd hate for Sterling Gibbs to read this and think positively.

Sterling... despite what I just wrote, Pittsburgh sucks, Columbus is even worse, and Storrs is where you want to be.

Reaction Score
Probably not. But I am smart enough to realize that the Gibbs situation will not come down to academics.

I don't know anything about Gibbs' academic situation, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for this to happen. Just happened last year with Calvin Godfrey...rumor is he was coming to UConn but it was blocked due to his academic situation. Wound up at Memphis. We could have used him this year as a big body off the bench...

Reaction Score
I don't know anything about Gibbs' academic situation, but it wouldn't be unprecedented for this to happen. Just happened last year with Calvin Godfrey...rumor is he was coming to UConn but it was blocked due to his academic situation. Wound up at Memphis. We could have used him this year as a big body off the bench...
Was that academic or because he had drug issues?

Reaction Score

Godfrey was never linked to UConn to this extent, and he was never as much of a priority as Gibbs is.

Reaction Score
Sorry if this is a dumb question, but did Gibbs for sure visit? I know some people posted that but I wasn't sure if it was 100% confirmed

Reaction Score
There were a few names the staff was linked to mildly but could never pursue. This is 100% accurate. Hopefully APR in the past and KO could get a little leeway going forward like basically every other school does re getting into grad school.

Reaction Score
THats what djct who's the dumb one now
Try to understand the Godfrey situation first. The guy was a walking red flag. He had more issues than academics. Its comparing apples to oranges.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Peacefrog said:
"one of the hottest restaurant scenes in the country"
Are folks going to start listing the best pizza in Pittsburgh now?

I can if you want. There's no Pepe's or Modern or Bar, but I get by. We do have a D.O.C. certified and a James Beard nominated pizza place though. And Claudio's, my neighborhood go-to, which is every bit as good as Amore in Stamford.

If I could get Gary to sell me the Colony recipe for a decent price, I'd set up shop here. There isn't a good bar pie place.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the masters program is called "getting to the association". Many have graduated from that "program" at Uconn. Not sure if that is still offered at seton hall.

Of all the crazy things I have read on here lately, assuming the Gibbs commitment may come down to academics has to be on the top.

I get that there are easy undergrad degrees at every school, if you know what direction to take, but I'd like to think we're not just giving away effortless graduate degrees.

Reaction Score
Oh well I guess we have a little bit longer to find out. If we don't get him I guess we r who we r going into next season. I hope Sam I am is healthy and working on his jump shot. I think he can make more of an impact then tsam if his shot is there. He is more of a point guard than tsam will ever hope to be.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
@JonRothstein: Seton Hall transfer Sterling Gibbs told @CBSSports that in addition to visiting Pitt on Tuesday, he will also visit Ohio State on Thursday.

Reaction Score

I am thinking that he is doing his due diligence to make doubly sure that he made the right choice. I am going to
think like Sterling or any other player of his caliber:

1. Kevin Ollie - NBA knowledge, Point Guard insight (KO, Glen Miller, Karl Hobbs, Ricky Moore), Know and understands acclimating to new team. Kevin Duran's endorsement of what KO does for a team. Winning National Championship 2nd year.
2. Facilities, Gampel, XL Center and Champions Training Center
3. UCONN Grad school rating
4. UCONN has a legitimate shot of going far into the NCAA with the roster after adding Miller
5. Gibbs stays closer to home in New Jersey
6. UCONN is Guard U
7. Ollie melded other Grad transfers successfully, RJ Evans (Playing in England) Lasan Kromah (Star in Europe)
8. OHIO State - Huge turnover next year can't be good. They finished 24-11 ousted in 3rdround BUT..... http://www.landgrantholyland.com/20...ate-basketball-2015-2016-early-season-preview
9. PITT - 19-15, lost to GW in NIT. Not sure of prospects for 2015
10. National exposure of AAC - similar to NBA type travel & scouts (Just thought this one up and could be a sell point)
Great NBA cities, Orlando, Dallas, Houston, Philadelphia, Oklahoma City/Tulsa, New Orleans, Memphis, MSG/NY

It's the old, It can't hurt to listen to what they have to say idea but I believe he' still gonna be a Husky!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom