OT: - Steak | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak

Reaction Score
I recognize the value of sous vide. It can be useful for many things..........Im also of the opinion that if you cant make a steak as good (or better, because the great steakhouse aint putting your stuff in water) without it, you suck at cooking steak.
Most people suck at cooking steak! Without cooking the steak with a probe most people can't tell when a steak has reached the right temp especially thick cut ones. Even with a probe I bet most people wouldn't know when to pull a steak to reach the temp they wanted. Outside of that, using sous vide can produce textures that you can't get from other methods of cooking from my experience. Where sous vide is lacking to me is when compared to smoking meat or cooking over charcoal. Crust isn't a problem to me with a crazy hot cast iron skillet.

I definitely get that it's not for everyone though. Not everyone wants to cook in plastic or wait 1+ hours to cook a steak.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Okay. I'll say it. Seeing HuskyHawk say his favorite cut is a filet, did anyone else cringe at that? I feel like filet is for a) people that don't really like steak or b) people impressed by the price tag of it.

And I think we need a poll that ranks the cuts of steak.
Filet's have their place. A well cooked filet with a properly steamed lobster tail is hard to beat. Steak Diane is also a pretty fantastic dish when done correctly and requires filet to be done right.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Seems to have the best ratings for the price
You can also get some well designed plastic sous vide containers on Amazon that have a cutout in the lid to fit the Annova through which helps keep the temperature constant and saves a little power.

Reaction Score
Okay. I'll say it. Seeing HuskyHawk say his favorite cut is a filet, did anyone else cringe at that? I feel like filet is for a) people that don't really like steak or b) people impressed by the price tag of it.

And I think we need a poll that ranks the cuts of steak.

Filet has no flavor on its own. It's meant to absorb flavor from whatever you put on it. If I'm grilling a steak, I'll take a NY strip first, then ribeye.

Brush with oil, cover in course salt. Wrap and let sit for at least an hour. If you have time, reverse sear. If not, get the grill as hot as you can without flaming up and hit it for 2-3 minutes per side (works best on a BGE or other kamodo style charcoal grill). Gives you a perfect brown, salty crust with no char that brings out the flavor in the steak. Don't corrupt it with any more seasonings than that.

You can get more creative with flank, skirt and flat iron steaks in terms of seasonings and marinades.

Reaction Score

i don't understand the hate for sous vide. Do the sous vide, and finish on the grill or in a caste iron skillet.

Not to take this into a heretical vegetable direction, but throwing some carrots with a bit of butter, salt and pepper into the sous vide (sautée a bit to get some texture at the end) will change how you think about carrots. This is of course in addition to the big slab of steak.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
Filet are good but very overrated in my opinion. Anytime you have to wrap a steak in bacon or something else to get flavor misses the mark with me. They do have their place though.

Give me a ribeye, skirt, or hanger steak over a filet any day. Do not let them get past medium rare, especially on the skirt or hanger.

I usually buy a 20 lb ribeye roast and cut it in to my own steaks. Usually leave an 8-10 lb roast in place to sous vide for Easter every year.

I sous vide a good amount of the time, but do not need it to cook a great steak. Cast iron pans and charcoal grills alone can get the job done.

As somebody else mentioned before I think you would be very surprised how many steakhouses use a sous vide...not even just steakhouses but restaurants in general. I have friend that worked for a very well known food distributor and he is the reason I bought the sous vide. He let me in on the secret that the far majority of the accounts he handled used a sous vide in the restaurant.

Reaction Score
Filet are good but very overrated in my opinion. Anytime you have to wrap a steak in bacon or something else to get flavor misses the mark with me. They do have their place though.

Give me a ribeye, skirt, or hanger steak over a filet any day. Do not let them get past medium rare, especially on the skirt or hanger.

I usually buy a 20 lb ribeye roast and cut it in to my own steaks. Usually leave an 8-10 lb roast in place to sous vide for Easter every year.

I sous vide a good amount of the time, but do not need it to cook a great steak. Cast iron pans and charcoal grills alone can get the job done.

As somebody else mentioned before I think you would be very surprised how many steakhouses use a sous vide...not even just steakhouses but restaurants in general. I have friend that worked for a very well known food distributor and he is the reason I bought the sous vide. He let me in on the secret that the far majority of the accounts he handled used a sous vide in the restaurant.
My son worked in a NY restaurant and told me the sous vide eliminates customers saying it's over cooked which is expensive for them. I love the Anova. Rib steak is my favorite but Get a high quality 2"-3" thick London Broil (highland market) and put it in the bag with Montreal steak seasoning and some Soy Vey Terriyaki. 6-7 hours. Then slam it on a hot grill for about 2 minutes a side.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I have this sous vide (got it as a gift) and it is awesome. Has an app so you can control it from your phone.

Reaction Score
Since we're talking about it, one of the best things I've cooked recently:

Chuck Roast, 136 degrees for around 60 hours. Then seared the whole roast carefully and fridged. When I wanted some, I sliced it into thin steaks, seasoned and crisped each piece individually in a hot pan for like 30 seconds a side.

Similar to a kobe/wagyu preperation but for relative pennies a pound. The kinda thing you can only unlock sous vide.

Reaction Score
Since we're talking about it, one of the best things I've cooked recently:

Chuck Roast, 136 degrees for around 60 hours. Then seared the whole roast carefully and fridged. When I wanted some, I sliced it into thin steaks, seasoned and crisped each piece individually in a hot pan for like 30 seconds a side.

Similar to a kobe/wagyu preperation but for relative pennies a pound. The kinda thing you can only unlock sous vide.
That’s some wacky and wild stuff as Johnny Carson used to say.

Reaction Score
I never understood the ribeye thing. I like tender beef, but not fatty.

Filet is my first choice, medium rare, grilled. NY strip can be very good if not too fatty. I am fine with a marinated sirloin or sirloin steak tips, or even a London Broil or the flat iron steak suggested above. Marinade is the key to the less tender cuts.

I use an instant read thermometer, but it never seems to really give me the results I want unless the cut is just the right thickness. A thick cut really probably needs the sous vide approach and a thin cut is also a challenge.

If you have a good butcher then the ribeye isn't too fatty. Prime at a butcher is not the same as prime from Costco or Publix. The stuff that I get from my butch who uses Halperns as a distributor is like butter.

Reaction Score
Filet has no flavor on its own. It's meant to absorb flavor from whatever you put on it. If I'm grilling a steak, I'll take a NY strip first, then ribeye.

Brush with oil, cover in course salt. Wrap and let sit for at least an hour. If you have time, reverse sear. If not, get the grill as hot as you can without flaming up and hit it for 2-3 minutes per side (works best on a BGE or other kamodo style charcoal grill). Gives you a perfect brown, salty crust with no char that brings out the flavor in the steak. Don't corrupt it with any more seasonings than that.

You can get more creative with flank, skirt and flat iron steaks in terms of seasonings and marinades.
9DC1F0F3-28E5-40A1-8471-DD1F2744C4E5.jpeg

as described. 600 degree cook for 3 minutes per side. Internal temp 128. Golden crust with little char.

Reaction Score
Certified Angus Prime NY Strip Steak from Highland Park Market in Glastonbury. Cooked medium rare on the grill with a little olive oil and Montreal Seasoning. Absolutely amazing.

Reaction Score
128? Rarer than rare.

No. That is on the high side of rare. It sits for 10 minutes and probably gets up to 132 or so, which is firmly in the medium rare category.

15244e0dbdc2168775c41fae7f4afd4c.jpg

Reaction Score
Certified Angus Prime NY Strip Steak from Highland Park Market in Glastonbury. Cooked medium rare on the grill with a little olive oil and Montreal Seasoning. Absolutely amazing.
You don’t even need sous vide for a steak of that quality but it doesn’t hurt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom