OT: - Steak | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
You don’t even need sous vide for a steak of that quality but it doesn’t hurt.
You don’t NEED sous vide for anything. It’s just a useful cooking tool. It helps people who otherwise don’t have classic cooking/grilling skills down, that’s a good thing. Especially for steak.Not criticizing but not needed. But I don’t doubt it’s helped 90% of people who butchered good steaks in the past on the grill not butcher them any longer.

On steaks what is the benchmark of good steak cooking ? It really boils down to one thing. Even cooking throughout. Edge to edge. The sign of a butchered steak is when the inside edges are more cooked than the center. We’ve all seen it a million times. We’ve all done it a million times. Sous vide with a last minute sear is a simple solution for that.

but again it’s not the end all be all.

I maintain that a properly cooked good steak over fire is better than sousvide /sear . Provided you know how to get that end to end consistency on a grill.

here’s an example. This is a blackened Cajun filet On a BGE at 900 degrees. Cut open to see the consistency from edge to edge. Also notice by choice the Cajun spice crust I was able to achieve with it. You couldn’t do that with sousvide/ sear. Because you’d give up either the end to end consistency or the amount of sear needed to achieve that bark.

70866FC8-2AC1-4176-A55F-AC8E4218325C.jpeg

Reaction Score
You don’t NEED sous vide for anything. It’s just a useful cooking tool. It helps people who otherwise don’t have classic cooking/grilling skills down, that’s a good thing. Especially for steak.Not criticizing but not needed. But I don’t doubt it’s helped 90% of people who butchered good steaks in the past on the grill not butcher them any longer.

On steaks what is the benchmark of good steak cooking ? It really boils down to one thing. Even cooking throughout. Edge to edge. The sign of a butchered steak is when the inside edges are more cooked than the center. We’ve all seen it a million times. We’ve all done it a million times. Sous vide with a last minute sear is a simple solution for that.

I maintain that a properly cooked good steak over fire is better than sousvide /sear . Provided you know how to get that end to end consistency on a grill.

here’s an example. This is a blackened Cajun filet On a BGE at 900 degrees. Cut open to see the consistency from edge to edge. Also notice by choice the Cajun spice crust I was able to achieve with it. You couldn’t do that with sousvide/ sear. Because you’d give up either the end to end consistency or the amount of sear needed to achieve that bark.

View attachment 55409

A cajun crust? How 1992. Did you start things off with spinach dip in a hollowed out bowl of pumpernickel too?

August_West

Reaction Score
A cajun crust? How 1992. Did you start things off with spinach dip in a hollowed out bowl of pumpernickel too?

with pesto.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score

View attachment 55409
Where’s the ketchup?

Reaction Score
Ranch dip?

Blackened cajun steak, ranch dip, pumpernickel bread bowls.....makes me wish Beefsteak Charlie's was still open.

Unlimited peel and eat shrimp!

Reaction Score
Blackened cajun steak, ranch dip, pumpernickel bread bowls.....makes me wish Beefsteak Charlie's was still open.

And unlimited beer too! Ahh those were the days when I could actually drink that crap.

August_West

Reaction Score

::::yawn:::::

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

View attachment 55409

Nicely done. Still debating a BGE or other Kamado.

I agree with the consistency of cooking edge to edge, but that's very very hard with a thick cut piece of meat. I can pull it off at about an inch and maybe a bit more. Those really thick cuts, I can't do it.

August_West

Reaction Score
Nicely done. Still debating a BGE or other Kamado.

I mightve recommended it before.

Costco has a Kamodo like 1/2 the price of the BGE. I wouldve bought it if I was spending money, I luckily was gifted an egg. But from all accounts the Costco Kamodo is right there.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

Stop it. Best steak I’ll probably ever have in my life was the Cajun ribeye at the now-gone Post House in NYC. A slightly spicy charred crust is a thing of beauty.

I can’t believe you made me defend the Arby’s guy in a food thread.

Reaction Score
I prefer ribeye, and I like to do it on the grill. I've had it better other ways, but that's the way I can execute it the best. Probably all of those years behind the grill at Ponderosa as a kid.

Reaction Score
Not starting a new thread, but let's see what ya'll have... best butcher?

Only decent place I know of is Avon Prime Meats

Curiouser
Reaction Score

Shoreline Prime in Branford, same owners I believe.

Forte's in Guilford

Reaction Score

Fitzgerald's in Simsbury has a great butcher shop, as does Kane's Market down almost near Granby. Way, way cheaper than Avon Prime.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom