OT: - Steak | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Steak

Reaction Score
I suppose I could look it up, but I'll just ask you... why?

I haven't heard this and still go in the 131-134F range then do a quick sear either on my grill at max temp or cast iron skillet if I can open the windows.

It seems the enzymes/processes that render fat accelerate around that temp (not hot enough to really melt it). So specifically for ribeyes which have a lot of fat, you trade a small amount of moisture loss for more buttery/rendered fat.

If you've had ribeyes sous vide with a bit more fat than you'd like, you can try 137. If you enjoy them fine as is, it's not going to melt your brain or anything (134 works perfectly great). I wouldn't do filet mignon or flank that high because the moisture loss isn't made up by gaining more rendered fat.

Reaction Score
What's a good option for a sous vide thing? I'd be willing to try one out

Reaction Score
My dad is big into sous vide. Do you like it? The thing just looks UGLY in the bag. I know that's foolish to get hung up on, but still.

Yeah that doesn't really bother me just like raw meat doesn't. It's not "finished" yet, so I'm not going to let it affect me. I sear/broil/fry/smoke everything after sous vide other than fish and the few veggies I do this way, so it looks good in the end.

I do love it. It lets you have the most control possible in cooking and it lets you render fat and collagen while keeping meats at lower (but safe) temperatures and thus not squeezing all the moisture out of them in the process.

Any meat that would be braised or boiled (beef/lamb roasts, corned beef, pork shoulder & belly, octopus) or that normally requires higher temp to consume safely but leaves it dry (chicken breast, pork tenderloin) is infinitely improved by sous vide. You can also pair sous vide with smoking/bbq to get the best of both worlds in regards to smoke+char+juicier meat. Leaner things like steak or pork chops that normally require some skill to cook correctly are incredibly easy with sous vide.

Plus I use it to pasteurize things to eat safely without fully cooking them (eggs and cold cuts for my pregnant wife, etc.)

The downside is usually you need to have some foresight with what you are going to cook. It's not really a spur of the moment cooking apparatus. The quickest things take at least 30 minutes and most things take at least an hour (and that's after the water bath gets up to temp). Some things take several days.

What's a good option for a sous vide thing? I'd be willing to try one out

Anova Nano or Chefsteps Joule are the 2 most popular brands/models.

Last edited:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I suppose I could look it up, but I'll just ask you... why?

I haven't heard this and still go in the 131-134F range then do a quick sear either on my grill at max temp or cast iron skillet if I can open the windows.
thermometers in grilling, or pert near anything in cooking, 'cept maybe in maple sugaring? lol. quick question - what did they do before thermometers? and as far as steak? - corn fed american beef, salt, pepper, butter, fire. ezpz.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
thermometers in grilling, or pert near anything in cooking, 'cept maybe in maple sugaring? lol. quick question - what did they do before thermometers? and as far as steak? - corn fed american beef, salt, pepper, butter, fire. ezpz.

Not well donel and with ketchup?

Reaction Score
Sous Vide and finish in cast iron with garlic, rosemary and butter. Ribeye. Medium rare.

Can’t screw up the cook temp with a sous vide so it’s worth getting one if anyone struggles getting consistent cook temps on their steak.
I dont do Sous Vide but thats just how i like my steak. Ive eaten at a few fancy places and had some great steak but this simply is my favorite.

Reaction Score
It seems the enzymes/processes that render fat accelerate around that temp (not hot enough to really melt it). So specifically for ribeyes which have a lot of fat, you trade a small amount of moisture loss for more buttery/rendered fat.

If you've had ribeyes sous vide with a bit more fat than you'd like, you can try 137. If you enjoy them fine as is, it's not going to melt your brain or anything (134 works perfectly great). I wouldn't do filet mignon or flank that high because the moisture loss isn't made up by gaining more rendered fat.
I came to this conclusion on my own a long time ago. I initial tried at the 130 range and the get wasn't rendered well enough for my liking. Bumped it up to 135 for 2.5 to 3 hours and hot the jack pot.. with ribeyes.

My choice is ribeye as well. Got some prime ribeyes from Costco a few months ago. Probably about 3 inches thick. Cooked sous vide for 3.5 at 135. Finished in a cast iron pan with butter. Amazing!

Reaction Score
I came to this conclusion on my own a long time ago. I initial tried at the 130 range and the get wasn't rendered well enough for my liking. Bumped it up to 135 for 2.5 to 3 hours and hot the jack pot.. with ribeyes.

My choice is ribeye as well. Got some prime ribeyes from Costco a few months ago. Probably about 3 inches thick. Cooked sous vide for 3.5 at 135. Finished in a cast iron pan with butter. Amazing!

Does Costco still sell those rolled up ribeye caps? I remember getting those a few years ago and loved them.

Reaction Score
Does Costco still sell those rolled up ribeye caps? I remember getting those a few years ago and loved them.
I didn't see any but given the pandemic I guess now isn't the best time to get those. But yea I've done those before. They were amazing!

Reaction Score
I love steak, but keep in simple. I love thick cut ribeyes on charcoal grill (kamado) high heat. Rare to medium rare, anything more and its ruined. Bone in ribeyes are even better.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I purchase the whole beef tenderloin. I trim it at home and then cut into 2+" filets. Usually get 14 to 16 filets per tenderloin. Trimings may be saved and frozen. I use them, cut up into bite size pieces for beef stew in the slow cooker. The smaller tail end pieces we use for steak kabobs.

As to cooking, nothing fancy in our house. Steaks are brought to room temperature before cooking. Seasoned with a variety of rubs I have, some are homemade. Depends on were our taste buds are at that particular day. We like our steaks rare or as we say when we order out "red but dead." I heat the grill to 500 degrees then turn the flame down to 3/4. Brush a little olive oil on the grates so the meat doesn't stick. Place the steaks on the grates. Close the hood. Cook three minutes on each side. Check the temp. I like the center of the meat to be around 130. I'll put some butter on mine. My wife doesn't. Haven't missed yet.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Question on the sous vide. What is your preferred mix in the bag going in the water? Just salt and pepper the steak? Salt, pepper, and ?

Reaction Score
Been more of a steak tips guy for the past few years. Get 2 and a half pounds from the butcher of 6" pieces, dry rub some goodness on there and grill to perfection.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I never understood the ribeye thing. I like tender beef, but not fatty.

Filet is my first choice, medium rare, grilled. NY strip can be very good if not too fatty. I am fine with a marinated sirloin or sirloin steak tips, or even a London Broil or the flat iron steak suggested above. Marinade is the key to the less tender cuts.

I use an instant read thermometer, but it never seems to really give me the results I want unless the cut is just the right thickness. A thick cut really probably needs the sous vide approach and a thin cut is also a challenge.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Question on the sous vide. What is your preferred mix in the bag going in the water? Just salt and pepper the steak? Salt, pepper, and ?

We just do salt & pepper. We use the garlic rosemary and butter to baste it in the cast iron when we finish it.

Another advantage is that you don't have to let the steak get to room temp before cooking it / you can do it from frozen (if you seasoned before you froze the steak).

Reaction Score

I just salt pre-bath. The pepper isn't going to penetrate and may be brushed/washed off putting it in or taking it out of the bag (especially depending on the cut if there are bag juices that may wash it off).

I pepper it out of the bag pre-sear and do a similar butter/herb baste if I have the herbs on hand.

Reaction Score
I purchase the whole beef tenderloin. I trim it at home and then cut into 2+" filets. Usually get 14 to 16 filets per tenderloin. Trimings may be saved and frozen. I use them, cut up into bite size pieces for beef stew in the slow cooker. The smaller tail end pieces we use for steak kabobs.

As to cooking, nothing fancy in our house. Steaks are brought to room temperature before cooking. Seasoned with a variety of rubs I have, some are homemade. Depends on were our taste buds are at that particular day. We like our steaks rare or as we say when we order out "red but dead." I heat the grill to 500 degrees then turn the flame down to 3/4. Brush a little olive oil on the grates so the meat doesn't stick. Place the steaks on the grates. Close the hood. Cook three minutes on each side. Check the temp. I like the center of the meat to be around 130. I'll put some butter on mine. My wife doesn't. Haven't missed yet.
Sounds great...only change I would make is using avocado oil instead of olive....Olive oil can't take that type of heat

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I recognize the value of sous vide. It can be useful for many things..........Im also of the opinion that if you cant make a steak as good (or better, because the great steakhouse aint putting your stuff in water) without it, you suck at cooking steak.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I recognize the value of sous vide. It can be useful for many things..........Im also of the opinion that if you cant make a steak as good (or better, because the great steakhouse aint putting your stuff in water) without it, you suck at cooking steak.

1) I think you would be surprised at the number of steakhouses that do sous vide.
2) Most don't have a broiler/salamander that will hold a candle to what the steakhouses use, so cut some slack.
3) I'm amazed you haven't mentioned Arby's in this thread.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
1) I think you would be surprised at the number of steakhouses that do sous vide.
2) Most don't have a broiler/salamander that will hold a candle to what the steakhouses use, so cut some slack.
3) I'm amazed you haven't mentioned Arby's in this thread.

1) I wouldnt. Those are the ones I stay away from
2) I have a big green egg that gets to 1000 degrees and a thermapen..... get both and get back to me
3) If arbys did steak they certainly wouldnt sous vide it. They are better than that

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
Sous Vide and finish in cast iron with garlic, rosemary and butter. Ribeye. Medium rare.

Can’t screw up the cook temp with a sous vide so it’s worth getting one if anyone struggles getting consistent cook temps on their steak.
Exactly this.

Sous Vide for about 2.5 hours at 129, finish in the cast iron with butter, garlic, and thyme (instead of rosemary). I like it a little closer to rare than you.

Right now our go-to are aged, bone-in ribeyes from Custom Meats in Fairfield.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Okay. I'll say it. Seeing HuskyHawk say his favorite cut is a filet, did anyone else cringe at that? I feel like filet is for a) people that don't really like steak or b) people impressed by the price tag of it.

And I think we need a poll that ranks the cuts of steak.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom