OT: - Steak | The Boneyard

OT: Steak

Reaction Score
Do we have a steak thread? Mods feel free to delete if we do--I could have the owner on ignore.

Always been a reverse-seared, butter-basted ribeye in the cast iron fan, but I'm willing to explore new options.

How do you cook it?

What cuts do you like?

Thanks in advance.

Reaction Score

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Do we have a steak thread? Mods feel free to delete if we do--I could have the owner on ignore.

Always been a reverse-seared, butter-basted ribeye in the cast iron fan, but I'm willing to explore new options.

How do you cook it?

What cuts do you like?

Thanks in advance.
Ribeye for an hour on the Traeger at 180 with supersmoke on. Then crank it up to 500 and 3 minutes per side with a couple tablespoons better on top for that final three minutes. Best steak I've ever had anywhere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's be honest, overrated. Right?

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Bone-in ribeye. I use a rub made by Tex Joy and a gorgonzola cream or bernaise sauce on the side.

On the grill, I go with a 6-6-6 method. Six minutes on each side and then let sit for 6 minutes off of the heat. Depending on the thickness, this usually gets you medium rare/medium.

Reaction Score
Can’t ever go wrong with anything Wagyu. I can get Wagyu top sirloin for a good price at my local grocery store, as well as Wagyu NY strip steaks, both are delicious. I love a good ribeye and filet as well. I go cast iron for my steaks, medium rare always.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Since that old thread, the trend in sous vide is ribeyes at 137 now instead of the old 129-134 degree range.

I suppose I could look it up, but I'll just ask you... why?

I haven't heard this and still go in the 131-134F range then do a quick sear either on my grill at max temp or cast iron skillet if I can open the windows.

Reaction Score
Since that old thread, the trend in sous vide is ribeyes at 137 now instead of the old 129-134 degree range.

My dad is big into sous vide. Do you like it? The thing just looks UGLY in the bag. I know that's foolish to get hung up on, but still.

Reaction Score
Can’t ever go wrong with anything Wagyu. I can get Wagyu top sirloin for a good price at my local grocery store, as well as Wagyu NY strip steaks, both are delicious. I love a good ribeye and filet as well. I go cast iron for my steaks, medium rare always.

I had a wagyu once in Japan. No idea if it was the "real deal" but it sure cost it. To me it felt more like eating flavored butter than a steak. I don't regret the experience, but not really my thing

Reaction Score
Ribeye bone in.. butter pepper salt... med rare to rare. Grilled or cast iron skillet with mushrooms

How do you get it to sear evenly? I've always struggled with getting the meat to lay flat with the bone in.

Reaction Score
I had a wagyu once in Japan. No idea if it was the "real deal" but it sure cost it. To me it felt more like eating flavored butter than a steak. I don't regret the experience, but not really my thing
I hear ya, to each his own! I’m not sure if I’m getting the “real deal” for sure or not. It’s Snake River Farms brand which is a reputable supplier, but the prices seem a little lower than what I’ve heard people pay at times. So who knows. I find it tasty so that’s all that matters, thanks for the thread, steaks are goin down this weekend for sure.

Reaction Score
I hear ya, to each his own! I’m not sure if I’m getting the “real deal” for sure or not. It’s Snake River Farms brand which is a reputable supplier, but the prices seem a little lower than what I’ve heard people pay at times. So who knows. I find it tasty so that’s all that matters, thanks for the thread, steaks are goin down this weekend for sure.

Steak is steak is steak. If it's delicious, more power to ya. Enjoy it!

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
It's pricy but the steak at Keen's is great.
I'm a Del Frisco's loyalist but have been to Keen's, American Cut and Sparks in the city. Sparks has the biggest filet you've ever seen. Takes up the majority of a regular sized plate. I was able to finish it but afterwards I needed to sit and reflect on what had just happened.

Reaction Score
Here’s why you want this thread.

The flatiron steak.

Super cheap cut. Only enough for 1-2. No need to marinade. Super fast sear and cook. Tremendous flavor. A better version of a skirt or flank steak at a quarter of the price.

Reaction Score
Prime ribeye. Anyone who says a steak is a steak doesn't know crap. Kamado on indirect heat for 20 minutes at 225 to 250. Pull and wrap in tin foil. Crank Kamado to 550ish with cast iron pan. Bacon fat and rosemary. 30 seconds each side.

Halperns

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Butter. Steak.
Same animal.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Sous Vide and finish in cast iron with garlic, rosemary and butter. Ribeye. Medium rare.

Can’t screw up the cook temp with a sous vide so it’s worth getting one if anyone struggles getting consistent cook temps on their steak.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom