Stanford/Baylor [merged thread] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Stanford/Baylor [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ya still gotta give major props to ST for beating the defending Champions, the #1 ranked team,With a 42 game winning streak,GRINER,even with Sims going out,all of those SRS with again GRINER,Hayden,Madden,Williams,Pope Who would have bet against them tonight knowing Sims would have limited minutes? The board myself included thought ST was over rated They still have "little" O but
Tara is a great Coach,smart BB minded kids who beat them tonight!

Someone posted that if it was the men no way #1 vs #4 isnt Nationally Televised!!! Boooo to whoever over that one
Wow I am still buzzing over watching that game

triaduke what is the story/ health of Williams,Henson,Wells and IMHO ya dont drop Baylor anymore than 2 spots From #1 ranked and all of the other stuff on them ie 42 game streak,Sims injured,they didnt lose to Chat ?TN ST not chopped liver;)
Ira

Reaction Score
Most likely Stanford will end up #1 with UConn still #2.
Mebbe not. Remember the famous game a decade or so back when Tennessee beat UConn and Kara Lawson ran around Gampel giving the #1 sign? Come Monday the rankings showed UConn still #1.

Reaction Score
Uconn is and will be playing without AA Hartley, Duke is playing without Williams, Delaware without EDD, look at UTENN the last few seasons. The polls are relative and do not take into consideration who is hurt and who can or can not play.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
1. Tennessee
2. Notre Dame
3. Maryland
4. New York Liberty
5. Baylor
99. Uconn.

IMO

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
One big point that I think a few are chosing to gloss over - yes, UConn has had injuries, yes, you still need to win, and etc. etc. etc.
But:
I don't think UConn ever lost DT, Bird, Maya in a game against a top 5 opponent and went on to win that game. Sims and Griner are neither individually the star, they are the star together. I'm impressed that they still came as close as they did.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
UConn is averaging 100+ a game without Bria and with a lame Doty. Do you think UConn would lose to Stanford? I dont. Baylor is dependent on Simms and Griner. IF theyre out Baylor will have problems againest the top teams and it showed tonite. UConn is to deep and has shown it. TAM on Sunday and the Paradise Jam with will show what UConns made of. Colgate follows...then Maryland and Penn St. Both top ranked teams then in December Stanford and Jan ND. I like our chances alot.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
UConn is averaging 100+ a game without Bria and with a lame Doty. Do you think UConn would lose to Stanford? I dont. Baylor is dependent on Simms and Griner. IF theyre out Baylor will have problems againest the top teams and it showed tonite. UConn is to deep and has shown it. TAM on Sunday and the Paradise Jam with will show what UConns made of. Colgate follows...then Maryland and Penn St. Both top ranked teams then in December Stanford and Jan ND. I like our chances alot.

Uconn will have their chance to prove they are #1. Lots of games against top teams.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Stanford will definitely move up to two. They will jump Duke without a doubt. They also have wrapped up the #1 seed in the Spokane Region already. The only one left up for grabs is Norfolk.
If you think Stanford has wrapped up the #1 Seed at Spokane you may be in for a shock. Stanford isnt a sure thing to come in first in the Pac 12, regular season or Pac 12 tournament. Assuming no injuries to Cal or UCLA, both could beat Stanford this year.

Reaction Score
You're probably right. Hard to disagree. Simms is a very very good player. Can never replace a 1st team AA. However, if Simms plays then does Madden still score 16pts 6asts 0TO? Just food for thought.
Interesting point. I think it is more logical to expect the loss of an AA to impact a team negatively. I have however seen games where someone comes of the bench who would not have played otherwise and put up an excellent game. Now even AA can have sub-par or even bad games. So while not probable it is however possible for the replacement on the right day to actually have a better or equal impact on the outcome. The question should be- is if the replacements best possible game better or equal to the AA's worst possible one. This is were depth comes into play in that the people off the bench are more often capable of mitigating such a loss.
My opinion as to how good Stanford's team is will not change based on this game. Timing and match-ups are really important in basketball. Tenn loses it's first game to a team it should have beaten and plays really well it's next two. For Stanford Baylor was the right match-up at the right time much as Tenn was for their first opponent. Stanford team doesn't change it has the same weakness that Baylor does- too reliant on a few players and a lack of depth. If they lose Chiney to injury or fouls they are done.

Ps. I also agree with Achoopsfan. I don't think Stanford is a lock to win the Pac 12 this year. A team with depth that can apply pressure to their guards will give them fits.

Reaction Score
In contrast Ucon's personal and depth will allow it to deal with the type of thing that can derail a drive to national championship. Also Stanford might jump Duke in the rankings but Duke's personal and depth would be a match up nightmare for them should they meet. Team A might beat team B and lose to team C, even though team B is in fact better than team C.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
If you think Stanford has wrapped up the #1 Seed at Spokane you may be in for a shock. Stanford isnt a sure thing to come in first in the Pac 12, regular season or Pac 12 tournament. Assuming no injuries to Cal or UCLA, both could beat Stanford this year.

I'll see about Cal in person on Dec 2.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Yah, i point fingers at espn and any other broadcaster... But, where the hell are the coaches and ADs of these teams? The head of their Confrences? They've known since forever. They should have - and could have - made i happen and chose not to.
That is exactly true. Shift a day, shift a time, trade rights, you do whatever is necessary.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Cardfan it was a good win by Stanford. However, do you really believe Stanford wins the game if Sims plays the complete game? Sims is an All American and IMHO is one of the top 5 or 6 players in the country and is the cog that makes Baylor's defense and offense run like an efficient machine.

Injuries are part of the game and Stanford took advantage of Sims injury. Now if Stanford had won by double digits I would have been more impressed.

Reaction Score
Cardfan it was a good win by Stanford. However, do you really believe Stanford wins the game if Sims plays the complete game? Sims is an All American and IMHO is one of the top 5 or 6 players in the country and is the cog that makes Baylor's defense and offense run like an efficient machine.

Injuries are part of the game and Stanford took advantage of Sims injury. Now if Stanford had won by double digits I would have been more impressed.

I don't know. Just like I don't know if we would have the NC won had Appel been healthy in San Antonio, or Pohlen in Indy F4. Or if your team was healthy in Tampa, the list goes on. So you're right, injuries are a part of the game, but as Kim said, we knocked down shots are got up by 14, and held Griner to 4 pts in 1st half.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It's Irrelevant. Go play with the team you have. Stanford won that is all that meters.

More relevant is what has anyone heard about follow up on Sims? How bad is the injury and how many more games may she miss?

A kid in tears on the sidelines might just be game emotions or signs of a significant injury.

Reaction Score
I've had two hamstring tears...during my track & field days...each one took approximately a month to heal, but they were not surgical issues and I had a full recovery each time. I always had them in the right hamstring, so I concluded that they left a weakness...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Is it a hamstring or a quad? I have not read anywhere definitive? Hammie's are 4-8 weeks. As a catcher I tore several. I am more concerned from the reports of the knee to the quad that it might be a quad rupture which can be significantly longer. As I noted it ended the western bear cub's freshman season in the first game of last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom