South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 12 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Reaction Score
When we were getting beat on the boards so badly I wished that they had Aubrey available. She's not as tall as them but she has great leaping ability and a nose for the ball. Just another of those things that worked against UConn this year. The team certainly put forth effort, but because we did so bad on the boards Geno directed the guards to go get the rebounds, too (at least that's what he said in one of the sideline interviews). So South Carolina's interior/rebounding game really opened it up for their guards. South Carolina had a good game plan and they executed it. We still had a great season considering all that we had been through this year. I really enjoyed the NC St and Stanford games a lot. I don't think either of those teams would have fared any better than us. It was just SC's year.
I watched the game in 2021 that we beat them in overtime and you were right. Aubrey did make a difference in that game. She played Saxton Tough and helped double Boston and on offense she blew by SC players like Henderson went by our gaurds. Not to rant why didn't we take Henderson right hand away as well.

Reaction Score
I believe one of the announcers said Boston only had 3 fouls all tournament. I looked it up, Howard 0 fouls, Miami 1, NCState 2, Creighton 0, Louisville 0. Something is amiss here. Not saying we deserved the win, but seems that someone is getting preferential treatment. Hard to believe anyone would have this few fouls that play as physical as Boston. UConn I believe she had two.
The way the referees handled Boston all season with the foul calls who is a bull in a China shop running over people and never getting called for a foul was a joke and I hope they watch the tapes and are embarrassed!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I’m disappointed in their performance but not upset with the loss. This is the first loss in the recent FF losses where we were beaten by a better team. For the sake of our departing seniors, I hope the WNBA scouts decided to watch the Grammys.
Pretty sure its too late.

Reaction Score
I wish people would stop blaming the refs. South Carolina was the much quicker team. Quicker teams draw more fouls. Dawn has done a really good job with recruiting fast and quick players. Those are things you can't teach. The other parts of the game you can teach and she has done a good job with that as well.

To me, the difference in the game was Paige basically taking the 1st & 3rd quarters off. Sometimes team players need to become selfish early in the game, instead of waiting until the end.

Everyone is pointing to the rebounds and fouls as being the biggest issues of the game, but to me it was the turnovers at critical times of the game. There were 2 opportunities in the 3rd quarter UConn had a chance to cut the lead to 3 or 4 points and didn't even get a shot off and South Carolina scored 4 straight points and got the lead back to 10. Little things add up to big things.
Disagree with 2nd paragraph- Paige taking half the game off? First, we came back in 3rd quarter- in last 3 quarters, UConn played SC even essentially. The 1st quarter was a shocker. Paige didn't take it off, but it was quickly evident that SC that was quicker and bigger, that Liv was non-factor (due to groin injury primarily),and that UConn as a team wasn't crashing the boards. The disparity in rebounds was huge, when SC took a shot, it seemed that everyone on their team was in position to compete for rebound or loose balls. UConn, on the other hand, when they took a shot, usually no one was going after the boards.

Here are the differences in the game:
Rebounds- huge plus for SC, whole team went after the boards
Fast break- nothing from UConn, SC guards quick enough to get back on defense, SC had their break and were aggressive going to basket all game long
Free throws- undersized UConn squad did a lot more fouling, SC had more aggressive attack that usually is rewarded by refs. SC was 17 - 26, UConn was 1-4. That is 16 points right there. How could UConn have gotten more free throws? Needed more aggressive play that attacked basket and went after rebounds better
Height- injuries to Dorka and Aubrey hurt UConn a lot. Need more tall posts, this will be improved with upcoming draft, Brady and Patterson will be key players.
Team depth- SC just had more healthy players, they play a deeper squad than UConn anyway. Would be nice to play our depth more instead of shrinking the line-up as team advances in tournament.
Aggressive players- hope our mindset, which seems to favor pretty play, changes to more aggressive tone.
Turnovers- even (UConn one more)

Reaction Score
Fudd shot 20-55 for the entire tournament, 36%; 13-32 from 3, 40%. She had 2 assists and 9 TOs for the tournament.

Bueckers shot 39-71, 55%; 5-16 from 3, 31%, but 3-14. She had 17 assists and 14 TOs.

Williams shot 21-76, 28%; 7-32 from 3, 22%. She had 11 assists and 4 TOs.

Westbrook shot 13-36, 36%; 6-19, 32% from 3. She had 8 assists and 8 TOs.

So combined, the guards with the bulk of the minutes shot 93-238, 39% overall; 31-99, 31% from 3; with 38 assists and 35 TOs.

I am an unabashed Muhl fan, her stats are mediocre at best but the team just played better with her on the court, especially at the start of games. She was the spark plug of energy that brought intensity and took the fight to the other team from the start. Uconn had great play and great chemistry going into the tournament with Auriemma acknowledging that several times publicly, lauding the depth of the team. For whatever reason, he decided to change that, altering Muhl and Ducharme‘s roles significantly and changing the persona of Uconn at the start of games. Obviously, I felt and feel it was a very poor decision, don’t fix what ain’t broken.
It has become somewhat of a pattern for Uconn to eventually lose to a team with comparable talent but a willingness to take the game to Uconn. SC was clearly, the better, more aggressive team, as was Arizona last year. For those complaining about the refs, the more aggressive team, the team that takes the fight to the opponent almost always gets the bulk of the calls, it has been that way forever.
Anyway, Uconn fans can again take solace in the war cry of the old Brooklyn Dodger fans, “wait ‘til next year.”
We needed to hit shots and we didn't. it caught up to us.

Reaction Score
I mean come on guys… let’s keep it real here. CW is a senior. You can’t be a no-show like that. But I don’t know about you but I was really frustrated with Geno not getting in her face to get her going. Years past - he would challenge players. He just stood there stoically. Can’t have that. Fire your players up! Please!! But no…
I think Geno realized it was not CW lack of effort it was SC defense that won the game. CW gave the effort and no amount of “getting in her face” was going to affect the SC defense. Can’t blame CW or Geno, it was the SC defense and credit goes to Dawn and her players for a great effort.

Reaction Score
So proud of the Huskies for getting to the NC game, despite all of the adversity they confronted throughout the year. Mya brief analysis of the game: we knew Boston would dominate. SC crushed on the boards. Significant advantage expected. But not the deveee of dominance on the offensive boards witnessed. I do believe Dorka would have made a difference here. Her high/low play and ability to hit an outside shot May have opened up the game for the guards to find room as well. I always delay the flow was better when Dorka played, whether she was making shots or not. I was surprised that SCs guards were so productive. Despite the rebounding differential and SC being able to take twice the amount of shots, my take is that if we made threes and they didn’t, UConn could have done. Wasn’t to be last night, for the myriad of reasons delivered by many, but still a glorious season and the players should hold their heads high. And I still say Geno coach of the year. AND Next year looks so promising.

Reaction Score
In big games there are always difference makers, someone steps up who you don't expect to. E hitting 3 3's in the Stanford game is a great example. All the props in the world go to Destiny Henderson, who has a career high in last nights game. In effect, she was the difference.

Reaction Score
Congrats to our Huskies. As previously stated their future is bright. How bright remains to be seen. Paige may have to use her Covid year to add an NC to her resume. Let the speculation begin on who we’ll get from the portal and how much our new recruits will contribute next year.

Reaction Score
A great point that was stated in this thread that I somewhat overlooked is that SC really had a lot of continuity. They had some injuries but that starting group has played together for the majority of the past two years. UConn just didn't have that. Tbh neither did Stanford with the loss of Kiana Williams. When watching SC this year I hated their offense but I never felt like they were out of control or weren't getting the ball to where they wanted. It was more like they had limited spacing and will their guards be able to make shots. Unfortunately for us especially at the start of the game, they all did.

Reaction Score
Oh my, you are obsessed. Maybe our guards shooting was affected because nobody has to guard Muhl, and helps everywhere else???
wrong again. Sounds like you are the one who is obsessed. they do guard NM, at least Stanford did anyway. Maybe 40-50% of the time, GA used her as a decoy on many occasions on one side of the court (with a stanford player guarding her - which opened things up) and ran offense (not entirely) through the other 4.

Other times, NM started the offense. By the way, NM's 3 point shooting in the tournament and throughout the year is just about as good/close or better than the rest of our guards AND GA doesnt rely on her to score. The problem is that those who we do rely on to score come up empty far too often. It is not a good sign when your shooters cant shoot it much, if any better ,than those who were not even recruited to be shooters. Our guards get open shots all the time, they just dont hit them with enough regularity...at least not this tournament for some, and for their entire career for others.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
In big games there are always difference makers, someone steps up who you don't expect to. E hitting 3 3's in the Stanford game is a great example. All the props in the world go to Destiny Henderson, who has a career high in last nights game. In effect, she was the difference.
Geno said something like this within the last week about needing a "star" and Henderson was it

Reaction Score
Anyone have a link to the Kara wolters sny postgame analysis from last night? Can’t find it but may be missing something

Reaction Score
Wow! The chatroom is filled with fair weather second guessing "fans" who re trashing the coach & the players. So sad & disrespectful to a team that overcame so much adversity this season. Question the result, but not their heart & effort.
Thank You!!

Reaction Score
Listen, I adore Nika Muhl for everything she brings but I don’t think it was a mistake to insert Paige into the starting lineup. To be fair, it’s not really realistic to compare the team chemistry/flow in the games Nika started vs. the games Paige started because the stakes were higher and the competition was better. I think they needed to put Paige in the starting lineup as soon as she was ready in order to get her as close to 100% (confidence-wise while maybe not physically-wise) for the moments they would need her to come through in the tournament. Without that, I don’t think we see the OT takeover Paige performance from the NC state. And without that, the Final Four streak is dead. If it were up to me, I would have kept Nika in the starting lineup with Paige and sent CW to come off the bench. However, I realize how unlikely that was to happen because she is a senior and was a solid presence for majority of the year.
It was a logical move - UCONN definitely was better with Paige starting. They got to the Finals for God's sakes.

Reaction Score
At the risk of opening up a can of worms, I really believe it would benefit the team for Geno to get his bench (Amari) more playing time during the season in prep for times like last night.
Sure he really blew it by "only" getting to the Finals. Huh what a dummy he is.

Reaction Score
I never said he blew it or didn't do a great job, but I do believe we would have benefited if they had gotten more PT during the season during blowouts.

Reaction Score

Geno's keeping a short bench has been an issue in previous seasons. It's a risk he's willing to take.

Reaction Score
I never said he blew it or didn't do a great job, but I do believe we would have benefited if they had gotten more PT during the season during blowouts.
I was being sarcastic because I don't agree one bit with your point. If you played her during the reg season then you would have probably played in the tournament before this game, right? And with all the close games, what makes you think a freshman would have risen vs UCF, NC State, and Stanford?

It's as if you are suggesting - as long as she get minutes she will produce vs all the tough teams in the NCAA Tourney.

The NC State game and the Stanford game were 1 to 2 plays away from a different outcome,. UCF wasn't that far behind. If she wasn't good enough all year I think imo what you are suggesting is Monday Morning QB.So when NC State used their bench players for example Jada Boyd and her +/- was minus 4 during regulation. When tara used her bench - who knows their bench could have cost them. But if UCONN used Amari more- then it wouldn't have affected the other close games that we eventually won?

Reaction Score
Geno's keeping a short bench has been an issue in previous seasons. It's a risk he's willing to take.
And he has won 11 titles, 14 consecutive final fours in which this year he got to Finals. A pretty good result, right?

Reaction Score
And he has won 11 titles, 14 consecutive final fours in which this year he got to Finals. A pretty good result, right?

Absolutely. But even someone as good as Geno makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. But even someone as good as Geno makes mistakes. Nobody's perfect.
Sure, Every loss a close game a coach makes a mistake because no coach is perfect all the time, right? And overall he was fantastic, correct?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom