South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the South Carolina game:
  • We have come to the end of one of the most challenging seasons in anyone’s memory. While the UConn Huskies fell short of their ultimate goal, there is so much to celebrate about this team. Playing shorthanded for much of the season, through 11 different starting lineups, UConn persevered, surviving an incredibly difficult gantlet during the NCAA Tournament to make it to their 12th national championship game.
  • Even tonight, against an overpowering SC team, UConn played shorthanded. Whether having Dorka and Aubrey available would have made much of a difference, who knows? But just like your mom’s chicken soup, “It couldn’t hurt.”
  • Credit the South Carolina Gamecocks for earning their 2nd national championship in convincing fashion. SC has earned the right, on the court this year, to display a national championship banner at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.
  • Some UConn fans will criticize Husky players and coaches about the game tonight, and some of those criticisms may be justified. However, many criticisms will simply be the emotional response to the disappointment that we all feel when our beloved Huskies come up short of our hopes and expectations. I will remind everyone that as bad as we all may feel about UConn’s loss, the players feel infinitely worse.
  • I want to express my heartfelt thanks and deep appreciation to our departing seniors: Christyn, Liv & Evina, whose dedication, hard work and sacrifice for UConn WBB was extraordinary. I wish each of them great success in the WNBA or wherever their paths in life may lead them. They will always be in our hearts.
  • How I love UConn WBB! I will be following their every move in the offseason, impatiently counting the days until Dorka, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Piath, Azzi, Caroline, Amari, Ice & Ayanna lace up their sneakers, trying once again to chase down a 12th banner. GO HUSKIES!!!

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
I am sure the specifics of why will be discussed in excruciating detail but once you get past the disappointment, South Carolina is just better. Still think Geno and his staff did a fabulous job this year.

Reaction Score
We couldn't not get Paige open, could not score in the paint and had lots of trouble hitting 3s....tonight we were beat by a better team. I guess we can't win them all....feel bad for the seniors, especially Westbrook who took it badly. We were out rebounded by more than 2 to 1.

Reaction Score
This is a wonderful bunch of athletes, and I applaud them, even as they lost tonight. They were pretty valiant in their attempt to stay in the game. I'm sure we'll find that Azzi was far from healthy and that Evina could barely walk. Everything had to go right, and very little did, but this was a great season. How long until next season?

Reaction Score
Proud this group fought to even get to this point, but a really underwhelming performance under the brightest lights. We came out looking the way we have in the national semifinal for the past few years. Just too big of a hole to climb out of.

The future is still bright, with Bueckers, Fudd, Edwards and Ducharme to lead the way. Ducharme was my bright spot for the game.

A shoutout to our seniors, for their years of contributions. I’m excited to see what this next generation looks like.

Is it too early to start the “predict the starting 5” threads? Lol

Reaction Score
Tough game, BIG challenge given all the BIG players on SC. I saw some of our Huskies play with a lot of heart and determination, but unfortunately others couldn't get it going... and against SC we were in trouble from the 1st quarter.

I LOVE THIS TEAM... and as @oldude said, I'll be following the progress through the Summer and early fall watching everything and always cheering the Huskies on!!! Hopefully a few Portal pickups to add to the core team for next year!

GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Some thoughts on the South Carolina game:
  • We have come to the end of one of the most challenging seasons in anyone’s memory. While the UConn Huskies fell short of their ultimate goal, there is so much to celebrate about this team. Playing shorthanded for much of the season, through 11 different starting lineups, UConn persevered, surviving an incredibly difficult gantlet during the NCAA Tournament to make it to their 12th national championship game.
  • Even tonight, against an overpowering SC team, UConn played shorthanded. Whether having Dorka and Aubrey available would have made much of a difference, who knows? But just like your mom’s chicken soup, “It couldn’t hurt.”
  • Credit the South Carolina Gamecocks for earning their 2nd national championship in convincing fashion. SC has earned the right, on the court this year, to display a national championship banner at Colonial Life Arena in Columbia, SC.
  • Some UConn fans will criticize Husky players and coaches about the game tonight, and some of those criticisms may be justified. However, many criticisms will simply be the emotional response to the disappointment that we all feel when our beloved Huskies come up short of our hopes and expectations. I will remind everyone that as bad as we all may feel about UConn’s loss, the players feel infinitely worse.
  • I want to express my heartfelt thanks and deep appreciation to our departing seniors: Christyn, Liv & Evina, whose dedication, hard work and sacrifice for UConn WBB was extraordinary. I wish each of them great success in the WNBA or wherever their paths in life may lead them. They will always be in our hearts.
  • How I love UConn WBB! I will be following their every move in the offseason, impatiently counting the days until Dorka, Aubrey, Paige, Aaliyah, Nika, Piath, Azzi, Caroline, Amari, Ice & Ayanna lace up their sneakers, trying once again to chase down a 12th banner. GO HUSKIES!!!
Any other post after this is unnecessary - everything that needed to be said is wrapped up here with grace and dignity - thank you

Reaction Score
great accomplishment to get to the championship game given all of the adversity this season. IMO the game highlighted the UCONN weakness which is focus on guards at the expense of big post players like SC has.

Still scratching my head about why Boston did not go to UCONN.

Reaction Score
Congrats to South Carolina and to our girls for reach the NC game.

I was very happy we can be even in the final 4 but we beat NC State and Stanford and into the NC game. Not easy for the girls, good job done you all have done your best.. Go Huskies ...

Reaction Score
Team had a great run. Few comments

1. We basically lost in the first 5 minutes
2. No Azzi really hurt the O
3. The rebounding was the only real disappointment
4. Never would have thought their guards would outplay ours
5. Props to Henderson. She was a difference maker.
6. Thought PB, AE played well.
7. Every time we made a run, we just couldn't get over the hump.
8. I feel like Aubrey's athleticism might have helped.

THE FUTURE IS BRIGHT

Reaction Score
Geno will have to start recruiting some longer better talented bigs. Cleary evident that UConn had no answers for Carolina bigs in the frontcourt.
Rebounding was an issue, but mostly in the first 15min - we did not get outrebounded by much after that given that its SC's calling card.

Dorka is coming back and we are adding height next year. We will get there

Reaction Score
Congrats to South Carolina for a great game and championship. Yes, a sad ending to a crazy season—one full of ups/downs, injuries and adversities. In the end, this team is full tremendous character, fight, and love for each other. We still have your back and I am so proud of what they accomplished. Take the summer to heal and come back stronger than ever!

“In a world where you can be anything…be KIND”

Reaction Score
Better team won tonight. UConn had been living on the edge the last two games. Eventually the magic runs out, just ask St. Peter's on the men's side. Congrats to Coach Staley and her team on #2. With the way she recruits I'm sure this won't be the last.

Reaction Score
I’m disappointed in their performance but not upset with the loss. This is the first loss in the recent FF losses where we were beaten by a better team. For the sake of our departing seniors, I hope the WNBA scouts decided to watch the Grammys.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom