South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 15 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Reaction Score
I believe one of the announcers said Boston only had 3 fouls all tournament. I looked it up, Howard 0 fouls, Miami 1, NCState 2, Creighton 0, Louisville 0. Something is amiss here. Not saying we deserved the win, but seems that someone is getting preferential treatment. Hard to believe anyone would have this few fouls that play as physical as Boston. UConn I believe she had two.
she is very adept at not going for shooting fakes, doesn't leave her feet, doesn't reach and rarely overcommits........for me it's one of the most impressive parts of her game.....

Reaction Score
Then, sadly, it must be the coaching? Why is it the better, more talented bigs are NOT coming to UConn?
how many excellent post players are available every year? Perhaps only one or two.........that's makes the odds of getting them pretty slim right off the bat.............add the fact that UConn's not geographically attractive to many recruits plus the incredibly tough practice atmosphere makes it tough.............frankly I'm thrilled every time UConn gets a top recruit because these are players that are willing to go through hell to become better players and hopefully champions......

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
My point: She is a below avg offensive player.
Your Point: She is an above avg offensive player.

OK
My point facts matter. Notice SC played 2 starters known for their defense both averaging less than 7 points a game.

Reaction Score
she is very adept at not going for shooting fakes, doesn't leave her feet, doesn't reach and rarely overcommits........for me it's one of the most impressive parts of her game.....

I'm impressed with how SC doesn't get called for fouls, when I can see them fouling!-)

Reaction Score
Lets see...they beat a no 1 seed and then beat another no 1 seed and they are asked to beat another no 1 seed. I guess that is too much to ask for... Great job ladies.. very proud of you.

Reaction Score
This is my first post here and first of all I would like to extend my congrats to the UConn for a great, but frustrating season. Who woulda thunk it that they would be playing in the NC game back in January. Great fortitude.

An observation I don’t think anyone mentioned here is that SC shot 22 of 60 FGs and was 3 of 16 on 3pt’ers. That means they scored 38 points on 2PT and 9 on 3pt for a total of 47. UC was 22 of 54 FG. and was 4 of 16 on 3PT’ers. That mean UC beat SC strictly on FG made
48 -47. I would say that was a pretty even offensive/defensive floor game. Where the SC won the game was at foul line 17 of 26 compared to 1 of 4 for UC. Does anyone really believe that UC committed 10 more fouls than SC. If the refs had called the game “fairly” might there have been a different outcome? We’ll never know, it is what it is. In spite of the ups and downs they had a more successful season than 62 other teams.

Reaction Score
Williams was always in a tough spot imo since the getgo, some say her best season was freshman year where she had a big time game vs ND. 2020 she had no help, 21 last season I thought she performed really well in the final 4, this game obviously was her worst, but again it didn't matter in the long run. SC was just not gonna be denied this title, Boston having to go through a year of having to watch her missed layup was motivation. Again I always think it's hard for the post 2016 teams to live up to that 4peat team. Breanna Stewart made it look so easy so everyone just assumed well the next batch of kids are going to make it look easy too and that just won't happen anymore. Just think what it took to get to this final.
An ugly win vs UCF, an Indiana team with 5 srs, a 2 OT game vs Nc st, and then beating the defending champions. And after all that you have to beat the best team in the country. Geno was honest after the post press conference, he said SC was the best team all season and it was going to take a special performance from each player. It didn't happen, but that's just credit to the gamecocks. It's dissapointing for Williams and Olivia right now, but I'm sure they'll remember more good times than bad and + they'll be in the Wnba if they choose too so that's going to be fun to follow their careers professionally.
If we hit shots, we would have had a great chance to win. im talking only 3-4 shots more. The same can be said for SC. Despite the fact they killed us on the board, and had a large number of second possessions which for me is probably the most telling stat of most games - more possessions = more shot attempts = more points. If SC misses a couple more and only a couple, it is a closer game.

At the end of the day, we had a chance if we simply hit a few more shots from the outside and from the highlights I've seen, I think they were there to be had. We just didnt make them. Not saying we would have won, but also not saying we wouldnt have, but hitting a few more shots changes how everything is played thereafter.

Reaction Score
This is my first post here and first of all I would like to extend my congrats to the UConn for a great, but frustrating season. Who woulda thunk it that they would be playing in the NC game back in January. Great fortitude.

An observation I don’t think anyone mentioned here is that SC shot 22 of 60 FGs and was 3 of 16 on 3pt’ers. That means they scored 38 points on 2PT and 9 on 3pt for a total of 47. UC was 22 of 54 FG. and was 4 of 16 on 3PT’ers. That mean UC beat SC strictly on FG made
48 -47. I would say that was a pretty even offensive/defensive floor game. Where the SC won the game was at foul line 17 of 26 compared to 1 of 4 for UC. Does anyone really believe that UC committed 10 more fouls than SC. If the refs had called the game “fairly” might there have been a different outcome? We’ll never know, it is what it is. In spite of the ups and downs they had a more successful season than 62 other teams.
I havent seen the full game yet, I always have to watch it on tape afterwards bc of where I live. I have seen extensive highlights and to be honest, if Liv was hurt and couldnt play tough down low and we didnt take it to the basket, then it is not a complete shocker that we shot considerable less FTs but 26 vs 4 does make you pause and think about it critically. So we only took 4 FTs the entire game...that is a bit odd, but again, considering our health, maybe only 10 FT is more like it, but 4 seems disconcerting.

Reaction Score

You can't expect to shoot many free throws if u are taking primarily jump shots. Also a lot of those free throws came late in the game when SC was in the bonus. Off the top of my head i would say 12-14 was in the fourth alone.

Reaction Score
If we hit shots, we would have had a great chance to win. im talking only 3-4 shots more. The same can be said for SC. Despite the fact they killed us on the board, and had a large number of second possessions which for me is probably the most telling stat of most games - more possessions = more shot attempts = more points. If SC misses a couple more and only a couple, it is a closer game.

At the end of the day, we had a chance if we simply hit a few more shots from the outside and from the highlights I've seen, I think they were there to be had. We just didnt make them. Not saying we would have won, but also not saying we wouldnt have, but hitting a few more shots changes how everything is played thereafter.
All true but our guards needed to drive more for pull up jumpers, our bread and butter. But, SC did a great job of taking away the first pick with a big standing in to guard against the pull-up.
On the foul side, the replays seemed to show a number of arm hits on Ducharme of pushes on her baseline drives that weren't called. We never got to the foul line, perhaps the greatest drought we've experienced this entire year.

Reaction Score
All true but our guards needed to drive more for pull up jumpers, our bread and butter. But, SC did a great job of taking away the first pick with a big standing in to guard against the pull-up.
On the foul side, the replays seemed to show a number of arm hits on Ducharme of pushes on her baseline drives that weren't called. We never got to the foul line, perhaps the greatest drought we've experienced this entire year.
thanks for the info fresh. I do recollect from what I saw, now that you remind me that CD was bounced around a bit.

Reaction Score
You can't expect to shoot many free throws if u are taking primarily jump shots. Also a lot of those free throws came late in the game when SC was in the bonus. Off the top of my head i would say 12-14 was in the fourth alone.
These are excuses for a poorly officiated game, the numbers tell the story even on your theory, 13 foul shots from 26 still leaves a 4 to 1 advantage for SC!
These 2 teams were evenly matched, and I'm not saying SC couldn't win if the game was officiated fairly, its just that we'll never know, and that hurts the victor as much as the loser!

Reaction Score
These are excuses for a poorly officiated game, the numbers tell the story even on your theory, 13 foul shots from 26 still leaves a 4 to 1 advantage for SC!
These 2 teams were evenly matched, and I'm not saying SC couldn't win if the game was officiated fairly, its just that we'll never know, and that hurts the victor as much as the loser!
If u are shooting jumpers how can you expect to have many free throw opportunities?

Reaction Score
UCONN faced this type of defense before, that's where the guard shut off by the big passes to a breaking big who now is guarded by a small guard, 2 pts and a foul! Why didn't that happen, cause SC fouled and there was no call!

Reaction Score
If u are shooting jumpers how can you expect to have many free throw opportunities?
You can't drive if the opponent fouls you, and it isn't called, 26 to 4, in the final, you'll never see another final like that ever, not in men's or women's!

Reaction Score
thanks for the info fresh. I do recollect from what I saw, now that you remind me that CD was bounced around a bit.
Exactly, you drive to the basket, get fouled, and it isn't called, 26 to 4!
This takes away what might have been a great victory for SC, we'll never know!

Reaction Score
Take a look at this image and look at the shots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220405-100530_ESPN.jpg
    Screenshot_20220405-100530_ESPN.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 92
Reaction Score
You can't drive if the opponent fouls you, and it isn't called, 26 to 4, in the final, you'll never see another final like that ever, not in men's or women's!
They were not getting fouled on the perimeter like that and I don't recall SC getting any perimeter fouls called there way either. 14 free throws were all under the 5 minute mark and primarily loose ball fouls. Those penetration opportunities were cut off because SC bigs didn't mind letting UCONN bigs shoot. The guards faced guard also to deny backdoor passes. It was excellent team defense.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom