South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 11 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Reaction Score
As UConn fans, we've been incredibly lucky since 1995, with all the successes, all the NCs, all the highly rated players, etc. However, the false expectation that we should win the NC every year has gotta go. There are so many things that go into winning a NC, and there are usually a few teams that can make a run for it, and then performance, timing, injuries, matchups, and luck will all play a part. "Righting the ship" and "6 yrs now" is a very narrow focused perspective that doesn't give any other teams credit as to what they accomplish.

Imagine being teams that have many of the parts necessary to compete in the tourney, and they only gets there once every six years? Do they need to right the ship? Some of these teams are incredibly happy with what they accomplish.

Yesterday's game would have been close, assuming UConn was as healthy as it could be, as some of the players weren't at 100%. Geno knew that luck would play a part. So, bash the players and coaches if you must, however after everything that has happened this season, I'll take this group, faults and all.
Sorry fella, no faults on these wonderful in every way ladies. If there was a fault it was with us the Fans expecting the wounded to perform like professionals every minute in every game.
We, I include me, hold these kids high in expectations.
We MUST hold them higher with every loss, they need us to be adults then.
No knock on your comment just my love of these kids is showing.

Reaction Score
I’m disappointed in their performance but not upset with the loss. This is the first loss in the recent FF losses where we were beaten by a better team. For the sake of our departing seniors, I hope the WNBA scouts decided to watch the Grammys.
Lobodays---I was there too-
On the Pro's looking for players. They found probably six including ONO and CW.
In games there are 2 teams both working to score more and STOP the other team from Scoring. Carolina has been together a long time and healthy all season. Both of which tend to make good team much better.
I looked at the Carolina roster and wondered how Paige, OnO and CW could dent them--and they did.
The come back fell short. Carolina has fallen short when Uconn beat them--that's the game. Geno didn't fail---If any asked 3 months ago would Uconn be in the FF never mine NC--90 percent of us (except TonyC) would have said IMPOSSIBLE. Look at where they ended, these kids and Geno made playing in the NC possible.
I'm proud of each down to the end of the bench for what they could not should not but did accomplish playing in the NC. Thanks Geno, Thanks you wonderful ladies and you have CLASS.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I must say, I enjoy all the “new posters” that show up on the UConn WBB forum around this time of year. It’s like the azaleas blooming in my yard in early springtime. :)

But I have to comment that for some of the Johnny-come-lately’s, showing up to dump trash on this forum before departing for obscurity the rest of the year is truly bad form.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This setback might be exactly what Paige, Azzi, and Caroline need to take their games to the next level next season
Look at what last year's loss by South Carolina did for its returning players. Especially Boston. She acknowledged being frustrated at seeing the networks showing that clip of her in tears right after the final buzzer over and over.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Look at what last year's loss by South Carolina did for its returning players. Especially Boston. She acknowledged being frustrated at seeing the networks showing that clip of her in tears right after the final buzzer over and over.
Boston improved so much. Fitness and skill wise. Painful losses tend to do that to the best players.

Reaction Score
I must say, I enjoy all the “new posters” that show up on the UConn WBB forum around this time of year. It’s like the azaleas blooming in my yard in early springtime. :)

But I have to comment that for some of the Johnny-come-lately’s, showing up to dump trash on this forum before departing for obscurity the rest of the year is truly bad form.
I like your form and forum.
I looked at Caroline all year. They are a terrific team. Uconn damaged as they have been--Forgive me @Tonyc, I hoped but didn't expect a win.
No bigger Basketball could have been played. Uconn stymied Carolina's bigs and very talented kids. If we were Stanford last night the score would have been a 30 point differential and Stanford is an excellent, but not as tough as Uconn, Team

Reaction Score
You've been a great friend of Uconn and I hope me. I enjoyed comments like this; factual and prove-able. I hope you keep giving us the pre-game data with important post game comments. Thanks. Like @oldude your love of the game and Uconn kids is evident, thanks.

Reaction Score
First, I'm so proud of this team. They made it to the national title game and just ran into an unstoppable South Carolina team. Add in a sick Azzi and a career night from Henderson and UConn had a tough uphill climb. Having Dorka and a 100% Azzi may have made this game closer, but I think this SC team was always going to win this game. Congratulations to Dawn and South Carolina, they were absolutely the best team this year.

That 1Q was brutal. UConn looked like they were scared to get into foul trouble and it just backfired completely. Unfortunately, our starters did not match up well with South Carolina. We played best with Evina and Caroline in but we had dug too deep of a hole by the time they made their runs, and, as par for the course this year, Evina ended up hurt too.

I wish we could have sent off Evina, Christyn, and Liv with a National Title, but it was just not meant to be. Just want tot say "Thank You" to these seniors for what they've done for this school.
I agree with you about the early foul trouble defense. South Carolina has so much depth at the bigs with Cardosa and Amihere ready to come in if the South Carolina Bigs get into foul trouble. It allowed them to play with physical abandon. Paxton in particular and Boston could be called for over the back fouls on many occassions but they were not. For example Liv was called for over the back from the ref in back of her. Forget the foul ranting and back to why South Carolina can play with abandon is DEPTH I was amazed that Amari got a few minutes in the first half. I would have loved to see Paith rumble with them.
Lets face it we have had trouble with other teams bigs for 7 years since Stewie left.
South Carolina is an obstacle and they are big. Thank God Dorka is coming back. We added to players 6'2" I don't think it is enough without Amari and Paith getting time on the court next year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Through great adversity this Husky team showed tremendous pluck and grit. They couldn't bring it home, but earned a place among the great Husky teams.

Reaction Score
At the risk of opening up a can of worms, I really believe it would benefit the team for Geno to get his bench (Amari) more playing time during the season in prep for times like last night.
100% with you, I really don't see why against teams like Xavier and Butler Amari could not have played 20 minutes, those games were over at half by a convincible margin.

Reaction Score
Fudd shot 20-55 for the entire tournament, 36%; 13-32 from 3, 40%. She had 2 assists and 9 TOs for the tournament.

Bueckers shot 39-71, 55%; 5-16 from 3, 31%, but 3-14. She had 17 assists and 14 TOs.

Williams shot 21-76, 28%; 7-32 from 3, 22%. She had 11 assists and 4 TOs.

Westbrook shot 13-36, 36%; 6-19, 32% from 3. She had 8 assists and 8 TOs.

So combined, the guards with the bulk of the minutes shot 93-238, 39% overall; 31-99, 31% from 3; with 38 assists and 35 TOs.

I am an unabashed Muhl fan, her stats are mediocre at best but the team just played better with her on the court, especially at the start of games. She was the spark plug of energy that brought intensity and took the fight to the other team from the start. Uconn had great play and great chemistry going into the tournament with Auriemma acknowledging that several times publicly, lauding the depth of the team. For whatever reason, he decided to change that, altering Muhl and Ducharme‘s roles significantly and changing the persona of Uconn at the start of games. Obviously, I felt and feel it was a very poor decision, don’t fix what ain’t broken.
It has become somewhat of a pattern for Uconn to eventually lose to a team with comparable talent but a willingness to take the game to Uconn. SC was clearly, the better, more aggressive team, as was Arizona last year. For those complaining about the refs, the more aggressive team, the team that takes the fight to the opponent almost always gets the bulk of the calls, it has been that way forever.
Anyway, Uconn fans can again take solace in the war cry of the old Brooklyn Dodger fans, “wait ‘til next year.”
Wait until next year didn't work for my wife's families favorite team -dem-bums, and it not a Uconn slogan. We don't expect them to be in the NC's EVERY year. Long time, realistic, caring Uconn fans know the impossible is possible but we don't expect it. The NC is a great bragging tool but not really important. to Uconn fans.
For us who have seen our lady team go from obscurity to top of the heap each win is gift from Geno. No he isn't God, he has refused the job--it has too many problems to be solved. Geno is just a man who does his job the best he can and that is 98 percent of the time great. Us really old women and men have seen it all--and then we saw more this year. Our emotions and caring for the team grows and grows. I hate to say this--it;s usually misunderstood but Uconn Fan don't need NC's or FF or Elite 8 because the pleasure is the TEAM and how they play the game.

Reaction Score
I don't care how good you are, when you give up 2 or more shooting chances per possession because you can't/won't box out & rebound you are going to lose. SC just killed UConn on the boards from beginning to end. I thought UConn's forwards were too timid underneath. It's too bad Jamelle Elliott couldn't suit up, she'd have shown the UConn posts how it is done.

Reaction Score
Considering Connecticut's injury/illness problems all year (continuing even into this game with Nelson-Ododa and Westbrook and Fudd), it was a miracle they even made it this year and even made a game of it at times (I had visions of a miracle rally when they cut it to 6 late); particularly playing against a strong team which had very few injury issues this year. There's no question South Carolina outplayed them tonight.

However, if this is the best refereeing we can expect in a national championship game, the NCAA has a big problem. 21 fouls to 11 against a much more physical team is ludicrous, and Boston got away with (among others) a walk where she took two steps from a stationary postion (thereC

Yes, Carolina got away with much and Boston more. However, I only see things through Uconn glasses. So, my bias is only for Uconn. I did see the walk, and screamed at the refs but 1500 miles away, I don't think they heard. I do remember DT in her Uconn hay day got things overlooked and I thought then it what top players got. Life isn't fair--Top Talent gets breaks--Uconn and even Carolina accept the good breaks because there are so many bad ones.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Bigger, faster, stronger… and they don’t foul?
Yep! Don't forget really excellent coaching. This may be the dawning of the Dawn era of dominance. First Pat, then Geno, maybe now Dawn. We will see how it plays out. In any case the coach with the best players usually wins.

Reaction Score
What's to say? The best team won tonight. These young women of SC are some really good kids. They earned their victory with strong play inside and outside. SC fans have a right to crow, at least until next year. I'm proud of the way the UConn ladies pushed through a difficult and trying year. Injuries, illnesses to the team, the coach, and the practice squad. Hell, even their bus broke down. But Dawn should rightly be proud of what she's done down there in Carolina. They're an elite program with an elite coach who is also an elite recruiter. See you next year Dawn, you're a beast, and it's all good for WCBB. As we old Dodger fans used to say, what 'til next year!

Dawn is, indeed, a fabulous recruiter. She's brought in two future WNBA Hall of Fame post players in A'ja Wilson and Boston. Hard to believe that she's only won two NC's with those overpowering posts. And that doesn't include all the other talent.

The WCBB world has indeed tilted its axis. Staley has changed who plays where, and who plays for a championship,

Reaction Score
South Carolina was the better team. Their point guard had a game and we could not matchup in the front court. Could Dorka have helped? Maybe but their domination on the boards was a team thing. We were late to loose balls or long rebounds as well. UConn did not play the best we could but everyone left it out there and no one can say that this team did not take it as far as they possible talent wise. This ending just lights the fire for next year for the returning players. The fact Gampel was sold out for a watch party was a real positive on a frustrating night. On to next year!

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Yes, Carolina got away with much and Boston more. However, I only see things through Uconn glasses. So, my bias is only for Uconn. I did see the walk, and screamed at the refs but 1500 miles away, I don't think they heard. I do remember DT in her Uconn hay day got things overlooked and I thought then it what top players got. Life isn't fair--Top Talent gets breaks--Uconn and even Carolina accept the good breaks because there are so many bad ones.
Yep! Last year Stanford got the breaks down the stretch.

Reaction Score
I don't care how good you are, when you give up 2 or more shooting chances per possession because you can't/won't box out & rebound you are going to lose. SC just killed UConn on the boards from beginning to end. I thought UConn's forwards were too timid underneath. It's too bad Jamelle Elliott couldn't suit up, she'd have shown the UConn posts how it is done.
Lobo made a good point that Uconn players were so worried about not being able to box out on rebounds, that they just gave so much freedom for the guards of SC to roam around which is why it felt like SC had so many good looks esp from 3.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Dawn is, indeed, a fabulous recruiter. She's brought in two future WNBA Hall of Fame post players in A'ja Wilson and Boston. Hard to believe that she's only won two NC's with those overpowering posts. And that doesn't include all the other talent.
Unfortunately for Wilson two of her years overlapped with the college goat, Stewart.

Reaction Score
It’s tough to lose when you are that close to the finish line. I see a lot of frustration with how our rotations changed as the team got healthy, and I agree to some extent.

The new starting lineup seemed consistently flat, and regressed at times to waiting for Paige to make something happen. But this “new lineup” played a majority of the minutes and provided us our two marquee wins of the entire season. Back to back upsets of 1 seeds. So that lineup did achieve two great wins for us.

South Carolina was just better, and the luck didn’t fall our way. My only complaint was trying to force our new starting lineup to work when it didn’t matchup well. Fudd was clearly not able to go, and had multiple missed assignments defensively to start the game. That definitely contributed to the early defect. We found a lineup that cut into the lead in Q2, and I think the tactical mistake was going away from that to start the second half. We needed to come out and close the gap, which we didn’t. Dug a bigger hole for when our effective lineup resumed and once again went on a run. It’s demoralizing to go on a 10-0 run and still be down 6. We lost this game in the first 5 minutes of both halves.

I don’t think either way we would have won, we were overmatched, which is credit to South Carolina. But I come away wishing we could’ve put pressure on them by coming out of halftime with a sense of urgency.

Reaction Score
I agree regarding this game, I think the mistake was made against Mercer changing the starting lineup, which changed the team‘s chemistry significantly. The overwhelming defense and intensity at the start of games just wasn’t there throughout the tournament and it finally caught up with them tonight, the game was lost in the 1st quarter.
I just never saw the need for the change and nothing that happened in the tournament changed my mind. IMO, they were a better team at the end of the BE tournament than they were in the NCAAs. Certainly one can argue that because they did beat 2 #1 seeds but that is my opinion.
That lineup for the big East tourney was fine as their wasn’t much competition in there but that was never going to be the case once they got into the ncaa tourney and the competition stiffened. Geno knew that and the change was the right move. To think an offenseless nika was gonna start over a rounding into shape Paige was just lunacy. The team got to the championship game which is one more game than I thought we’d get due to Dorka hurt and our ineffective front court. Great job by geno and the staff along with our young ladies getting to where they finished and never giving up. SC was just the better team tonight as they’ve been all season and theres no shame for our girls at being 2nd best. Disappointment yes, shame no!
Yep, Stanford will be great next year and Tara will still be ducking us!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom