South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread] | Page 4 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Postgame Thread[merged thread]

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
Proud this group fought to even get to this point, but a really underwhelming performance under the brightest lights. We came out looking the way we have in the national semifinal for the past few years. Just too big of a hole to climb out of.

The future is still bright, with Bueckers, Fudd, Edwards and Ducharme to lead the way. Ducharme was my bright spot for the game.

A shoutout to our seniors, for their years of contributions. I’m excited to see what this next generation looks like.

Is it too early to start the “predict the starting 5” threads? Lol
I agree wholeheartedly to your first sentence.
But a definite "No" to the last one.

freekimchee

food whisperer
Reaction Score
HUGE grats to South Carolina and Coach Staley. Amazing team. Amazing defense. They left no doubt who was the better team. With that said, I feel nothing but pride and love for our Huskies. Thank you UConn WBB for a great 2021-22 season. It was not meant to be but it was a great run nonetheless. Hope we match up better next year!

Reaction Score
It was a guard that caused the most trouble
Nah, that game was decided very early on the offensive glass. If your bigs can't defensive rebound and your bigs can't score you can't win. Geno should've fixed the frontcourt by now. If he doesn't figure that out they won't be cutting down the nets next season. Really impressive he got them to the title game with that glaring weakness and all the injuries.

Reaction Score
Geno will have to start recruiting some longer better talented bigs. Cleary evident that UConn had no answers for Carolina bigs in the frontcourt.
We had no answer for Henderson as well.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
UConn had two big additions this year who, theoretically, were the keys to beating South Carolina coming into the season.

Juhasz who had not adjusted by game four in the Bahamas and was a non factor, and was out injured tonight.

Fudd who played 10 injured minutes in the first game before missing 2+ months, and was sick for tonight's game.

I'd say that's awful luck but then this is the team whose NPOY broke her leg dribbling out the clock.

Reaction Score
We had 5 players, all guards, and a few of them had to go off (like Destiny). Instead crumbs.

But we played hard and shouldn’t hang our heads.

From a fans pov, we really were never in it, so a disappointing but easy game to watch.
Unfortunately!

Color me black and Blue.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have been watching the UConn Huskies since 1995's 1st Championship, and this was the first season that I have watched and cheered where I wasn't feeling like "anything less than a championship-title is a disappointment".

I thought Sweet Sixteen was about right, anything beyond that, it just seemed would be excess (lucky for us fans). We were truly blessed to cheer along until the final seconds of the Championship Game.

I do not feel that this loss is anywhere as tough to tackle as most other years. This team played as well as they could, and just ran into a South Carolina team that worked incredibly hard at both ends of the floor.

Cheers for the the entire team, I am proud of what was accomplished by all. And congrats to South Carolina, wonderful season for them.

PS: This is my first post for this board, I haven't felt the need (or had the confidence) to post prior, but this wonderfully difficult season, with all the many highs and lows, pushed me to do so.

See you all over the summer and next year!

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
It just hit me...

In the Bahamas, we played them even for Q1-Q3, then got killed in Q4

Tonight, we got killed in Q1, then played even in Q2-Q4.
Okay?

Reaction Score
There was some serious trolls in the chat. Not sure what’s up with that. Seems a couple we’re there to really cause problems. Not sure what can be done about that?
Act like they're not there. Just folks whose team was home watching.

Reaction Score
My heartfelt thanks to the team for a great season. Get rest, get well, come back stronger in the next season! Many of us truly admire what you have accomplished this season.

congratulations to South Carolina on a great win! We will be back to take you on next year!

I wish the seniors all the best for the next phases of their life journeys.

Reaction Score
There were some LV fans fanning the flames
Yeah, there were a few names I didn't recognize. I chose to ignore them, but several loyal Boneyarders defended our Huskies.

Reaction Score
Geno will have to start recruiting some longer better talented bigs. Cleary evident that UConn had no answers for Carolina bigs in the frontcourt.
As much as ONO and AE did not rebound, it was S.C.'s back court that killed us. Their starting back court scored 37 of S.C.'s 64 points. While I realize it was an off night for them both (especially being sick), if they had just played a regular game and the refs called fouls more evenly (10 more fouls called against us) then UConn wins a close game. It just was not meant to be, but IMO it is still Geno's best coaching job in the past 25 years.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Great post. First off, tipping my hat to South Carolina and Coach Staley. Great game tonight and congrats on winning another title. Coach Staley put together a great game plan and she had her team executing that plan well tonight. For our beloved UConn squad, especially out seniors. I am super proud of each and every one of you. To make it to the Final game, after such a wild and wacky season, much love and respect. You all displayed great toughness and togetherness. I just love you all. You gave us fans, family, friends, alumni, your all each game. That is all that we can ask. Great run.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Holly just announced the MOP of tournament was A Edwards…..
You're something and should be put in Timeout for the offseason!!!!! Please.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It just hit me...

In the Bahamas, we played them even for Q1-Q3, then got killed in Q4

Tonight, we got killed in Q1, then played even in Q2-Q4.
That's right!

Reaction Score
First of all, I’m super proud of this team. They went farther than they really should have. A title game with Paige at about 75%..that’s something.

Hopefully the players stay angry, and learn what they need to do. Aaliyah and Nika need to add more offense. Caroline needs to get more consistent. Paige needs to get stronger. Azzi needs to learn how to get herself open against great teams.

We can come back and challenge for a title next season, and I think we will.

Reaction Score
Please with the Fudd sick comments, if you play, you play. If she was that ineffective because she was sick, she should not have been on the court. I thought when Auriemma changed the lineup it was a mistake and nothing in the tournament changed my mind on that. It is about chemistry and that changed then. Uconn was out-toughed tonight, plain and simple, much like they were by Arizona last year.
The 4 primary backcourt players, supposedly UConn’s advantage, were 11-33 shooting, 3-13 from 3, with 7 assists and 5 TOs. Meanwhile the team was outrebounded by a 2-1 margin while the player that gave Uconn their toughness was largely benched for the tournament. Their dominant starts became a memory and nowhere was it more evident than tonight. Chemistry matters and Auriemma lost his gamble changing it; just my opinion but one I had and expressed immediately upon the lineup change.

Reaction Score
I think this was the worst game I've ever seen Geno coach, but I assume he was sick, so maybe give him a pass? Otherwise, too passive, no fire, no early intervention with awful start. After 1st quarter deficit, we played them even. Thank God Ducharme finally got in the game, but why did it take so long? If Evina hadn't tweaked her ankle, it might not have been until 2nd half for Ducharme to get play time. Geno sticking so long with Christyn and Evina was a disaster. I can't believe that when everyone in the world knows that SC's biggest strength is rebounding advantage, yet it looked like rebounding and boxing out drills must have been forgotten in practice. We were awful! How many times a player would get beat and just watch to see what happens- did ball go in? Oh, it didn't? Wait a minute, the SC player is getting the rebound, you mean it was my job to grab the ball? Time and time again, it was pitiful.
I don’t think he ever said a word to work the refs. Our assistants were going nuts at a few calls and he stood there looking the other way at God knows what! Not a peep. Come on coach, how about trying to fire someone up, either the refs or players!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom