South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
While this is a good thing for UCONN at this point in time... it is bad for Women's Basketball... All those fans who had tickets to see the game... to cancel it... they wanted to see SC UCONN... it would be one thing if the game was cancelled... but to cancel it to put in a different team... that is inexcusable.
This post sounds inexcusable. Did you not read the reason for the cancellation? It's what is best for the SEC Conference. That's what matters the most.

Reaction Score
no point imo to even have anyone back until the Big east tournament then, Tenn game won't do much assuming that even gets played.

Reaction Score
I was thinking that the UConn team playing now is better than Mizzou without Blackwell and I believe they are better than Mizzou with Blackwell. So, it was possible that UConn could beat SC this Thursday, but not probable. As most of you know, Mizzou beat SC while playing without their best player, Blackwell. The biggest difference is that Mizzou has better three-point shooters and more of them. Also, they were playing at home. It may not be long until UConn will have at least two more accurate three-point shooters.
I think it’s only fair that you share whatever it is that you’re smoking.

Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan, I'm extremely disappointed. I took Thursday and Friday off this week so I could get to the game early and not have to rush after work. Of course, if you take Thursday off, you also have to take Friday off, lol.
The tickets will still be good for the new game scheduled so you can still go to that.
Stinks for me Im stuck with 3 tickets I’m not going to use now.:(

Reaction Score
As for the fans who bought tickets for the SC-CT game, I'm sure they get to keep vouchers for next season's postponement, and the game should be a more evenly matched game. Most of both teams' rosters would return, would be healthier (esp. in CT's part) and both teams should still be powerhouse teams in the discussion to win it all next season. Just have to wait a year.

And for national WBB fans, we got to see both teams play each other when both were relatively healthy, and there's a still a strong chance of seeing them battle it out in the NCAAT later on, so....

Reaction Score
Good because I couldn’t watch another embarrassing game. Maybe in the tournament when Paige is back.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I actually would not be surprised if the TN game got canceled as well - OOC games are not as important as conference games and Uconn currently has three more of those that were 'postponed/canceled'. Yes, Uconn's OOC is much more interesting than the conference games in general but the first things to win each year are the conference regular season and conference titles. For teams in more competitive conferences it is even more important to get the conference games in.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Wow that's a major bummer. I get Dawn's perspective for wanting to give her team its best shot for an SEC title, but this is a significant game lost for women's basketball. UCONN/SC is probably the top rivalry in the country now and this game would garner a ton of attention, plus a sold out crowd of 18000+.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I actually would not be surprised if the TN game got canceled as well - OOC games are not as important as conference games and Uconn currently has three more of those that were 'postponed/canceled'. Yes, Uconn's OOC is much more interesting than the conference games in general but the first things to win each year are the conference regular season and conference titles. For teams in more competitive conferences it is even more important to get the conference games in.
Tennessee game is still 2 weeks away...I think there's a real chance cases are significantly fewer by then.

I think the Tennessee game is huge game for both programs. For UCONN, it's effectively their last shot to get a marquee win that would cement them as a top 4 seed, otherwise they're on the bubble for hosting first weekend. For Tennessee, it could be a major statement road win and cement their status as a likely #1 seed, even if they drop to SC and another game. Plus above all of that, it's UCONN/Tennessee. The match up would get a ton of viewers, lots of ESPN coverage, and there would be a packed arena.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with Covid.

SC has a replacement game scheduled for Thursday against Miss
I was saying we didn't know who would have been available for the South Carolina game. Everyone knows why it was cancelled.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan, I'm extremely disappointed. I took Thursday and Friday off this week so I could get to the game early and not have to rush after work. Of course, if you take Thursday off, you also have to take Friday off, lol.
Of course.

I’m disappointed too. I know that it would’ve been a huge uphill climb for UConn, but I really wanted to see how the team would respond to the challenge.

Oh well, there is a chance that we may meet up again this year.

Reaction Score
SC game was going to give us a bad loss anyway. A win against UT can move us up to a 2-seed in the Bridgeport region. Need Paige & Azzi healthy to have any chance of a national title regardless.

Reaction Score
One of the few games on the schedule against a measuring stick opponent. Another disappointment in this !@#$ season.
Not a measuring stick at all. No attack but a blessing in disguise. Not a chance with out some of the walking wounded. There have already been four other measuring sticks.
We just had one of those last Monday.
Badda Bing Badda Boom....... ;)
While this is a good thing for UCONN at this point in time... it is bad for Women's Basketball...
Not at all just the right thing to do. If one game being moved is bad for women's basketball ... :confused: Then the sport stands no chance.
I do think they will survive...

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Covid
The original game with Ole Miss was canceled because of COVID within Ole Miss' program. USC played Mississippi State in their place, but we needed to make up the game with Ole Miss, thus the game against them this Thursday.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Tennessee game is still 2 weeks away...I think there's a real chance cases are significantly fewer by then.

I think the Tennessee game is huge game for both programs. For UCONN, it's effectively their last shot to get a marquee win that would cement them as a top 4 seed, otherwise they're on the bubble for hosting first weekend. For Tennessee, it could be a major statement road win and cement their status as a likely #1 seed, even if they drop to SC and another game. Plus above all of that, it's UCONN/Tennessee. The match up would get a ton of viewers, lots of ESPN coverage, and there would be a packed arena.
I'm not expecting it to be cancelled, but as of now that would be on UConn. It has nothing to do with how prevalent Covid might be, but making up games that were previously cancelled.

Tennessee has no games to make up, so unless something happens the only thing that could happen is if the Big East asks UConn to make up conference games. I'm not actually expecting that if UConn remains undefeated in the BE, as everyone except UConn has a conference loss. Not sure how they will handle it, but unlikely all the games can be made up in the league.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Of course the SEC game is more important: She will receive $15,000 for winning 11 or more SEC games, $100,000 for winning the SEC regular-season

Reaction Score
How good is DePaul (16-4)? Looks like they play very well in some games, and not-so-hot in others.

With no CWill, if she can't play, is UCONN in trouble with them?

Reaction Score
There is no measuring stick. Some of our best players are out and that includes arguably the best women's college basketball player. We shouldn't be measuring ourselves against anyone right now. The goal should be to survive and get healthy and stay healthy.
I agree 100%. Arguably UCONN's top 3 players are out which has caused the team to completely change it's style of play.

Not to mention (but I will) we have our entire pg/sg/sf having to play 40 minutes of which one has a bum knee and the other the coach keeps talking about she should be on minutes restriction. UCONN cannot play consistently in this manner. Over-and-over 40 minutes is a killer. I'm not a bench fan but I am one when it comes to having to play over-and-over for 40 minutes your entire backcourt along with your sf. This is ridiculous especially having a backcourt that is also hurt while playing. It's an evil joke. And let me just add I love the players to death and respect the hell out of them. Every last one of them- even the ones not playing.

There is no real measuring stick as of right now. One-on-one-play such as Liv vs Boston in a game in which SC has so much more depth and firepower as an example, is not a measuring stick. It's more of a circus with no flow. . You get a smidgen of measuring but that's it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom