South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread) | The Boneyard

South Carolina Game Canceled; UConn @ Depaul Wed Jan 26 (merged thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
The UConn women's basketball team will travel to DePaul for a game Wednesday at 8 p.m. ET and the Huskies' game at South Carolina scheduled for Thursday has been canceled.

"Dawn Staley reached out to me about postponing the series for this season," UConn head coach Geno Auriemma said. "It's a priority for South Carolina to make up SEC games, so this is the best decision for them right now. We know a lot of fans were excited for this game, but we look forward to continuing the series with South Carolina in future seasons."

"I know our fans always enjoy the UConn game, and our team enjoys the rivalry; but I have always said that our conference season and especially our goal of another SEC championship is more central to our program," South Carolina head coach Dawn Staley said. "As we approach the second half of league play next month, it has become more important to complete our SEC schedule to keep ourselves in the running for a conference title. This Thursday is one of the few dates Ole Miss has open, so, with my team's best interest at heart, I started the conversations that led us to this point."

Reaction Score
In this case I think the hit to the SOS is better than the bad loss that was coming.

Hopefully we can get the Marq game in as well so we will get 2x against the top 3 challengers -- Dep, Marq, Crei.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
1642988627609.jpeg

Reaction Score
This sucks I was looking forward to this game this week. Oh well. Will be fun to visit Doug in Chicago instead! Kind of crazy that this was happening while the team was playing and Geno had no clue even in the post-game.

Reaction Score
I'm good with this. One less probable loss. I was anxious to see the new Liv play Boston but the officiating would likely not be even handed down there. Plus, we are worn down. We need to regroup and get healthy as soon as we can. Let's just win out from here including UT and get a 2 seed ( or a 3 if necessary) and cause some major chaos.

Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan, I'm extremely disappointed. I took Thursday and Friday off this week so I could get to the game early and not have to rush after work. Of course, if you take Thursday off, you also have to take Friday off, lol.
Same. Damn Covid!!!

Reaction Score
It sounds like Geno & Dawn Staley have a positive relationship. I can think of a few coaches who would have been met with animosity over a last minute cancellation. Good for both coaches working together!!

Reaction Score
I think she fears the basketballs we use.
Nah, you’d have had to play with a Wilson ball this year. Now next year…….

Dawn had a press conference today and it wasn’t mentioned. I’m sure this wasn’t a last minute thing but evidently wasn’t finalized until late this afternoon.

Hate the game is cancelled but we HAVE to make up our game with Ole Miss. Since we lost the game with Missouri, it could cost us the SEC championship even if we win out. This was the only date we could both play. Anyway, you guys have a number of games to make up also. Good luck Wednesday vs DePaul.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
As a Gamecock fan, I'm extremely disappointed. I took Thursday and Friday off this week so I could get to the game early and not have to rush after work. Of course, if you take Thursday off, you also have to take Friday off, lol.
We’ll see you next year. :)

Reaction Score
It sounds like Geno & Dawn Staley have a positive relationship. I can think of a few coaches who would have been met with animosity over a last minute cancellation. Good for both coaches working together!!
The reality is there wasn't much to be gained for either team by playing when they could otherwise play a conference game.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the probability of South Carolina losing at least 1-2 players to covid was likely. It is probably sweeping South Carolina right now in the same way it has been sweeping the northeast the past few weeks. It's other teams time in the barrel for a while.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the probability of South Carolina losing at least 1-2 players to covid was likely. It is probably sweeping South Carolina right now in the same way it has been sweeping the northeast the past few weeks. It's other teams time in the barrel for a while.
We have everybody healthy right now for the first time since Christmas.

Reaction Score
One of the few games on the schedule against a measuring stick opponent. Another disappointment in this !@#$ season.

Reaction Score
This has nothing to do with Covid.

SC has a replacement game scheduled for Thursday against Miss

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members