Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll give you one more. The Big XII doesn't get exposure in the Northeast if they just take us for football. To have an entrance into Metro New York, they need New Yorkers to be hooked by UConn hoops. UConn football gets them Connecticut only.

I'm not sure that is the focus for the Big 12 at this point and for a school like OU playing a football game in Connecticut ever 2-3 years likely gets them at least some exposure in the region as would any blueblood playing a game that close to NYC and Boston. Kansas vs UConn in an OOC BB matchup gets a lot of attention as well.

Reaction Score
Football only schools don't trigger the pro-rata. They're not going to expand and divvy up the pie even more. They're doing this to make some extra money for a few years, not give it away.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
There are NO sources. Just guesses. Stupid guesses at that.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If this is being floated as a trial boat, it means Texas has one foot plus like three toes out the door.

Reaction Score
If this is being floated as a trial boat, it means Texas has one foot plus like three toes out the door.
This would really put a wrinkle into the ten toes in motto. How many toes do we have to go around? Two toes in the Big 12? 5 in the Big East? A couple more toes in Hockey East... one smaller toe endlessly waiting for the ACC and Big 10 to call?

Reaction Score
LOL. Never go full insider. As somebody mentioned - has he or some of these dolts actually listened to what Bowlsby has said or are they too busy concoting conspiracy theories in their own heads?

Reaction Score
Yeah, I somehow doubt this is the guy who's gonna break the realignment story

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think the author of the article just wanted this board to stop posting about logos.
Ha good luck with that....

Huskymania-logo.jpg

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Football only schools don't trigger the pro-rata. They're not going to expand and divvy up the pie even more. They're doing this to make some extra money for a few years, not give it away.

Now that we've popped this trial balloon, let's examine the condition under which this would even be possible.

1. B12 would need to have decided that expansion is a no go.

2. B12 would need a way to save face, because they are pretty much committed to doing something by OU and the ACC network.

3. The proexpansion side would need to see this as a strategic camel nose under the tent moment and feel confident that the 2024 endgame is likely to end favorably for them.

4. The TV partners would have to agree to pay for this, not only cover the costs of the new members without diluting current payments, but also give a small bump to the existing members. It need not be the full prorata increase, but item #2 above still applies.

5. The B12 would need to feel confident that their playoff chances aren't negatively affected.

6. Any potential candidate will accept, of course.

So, anyone think all that is possible? That there is enough trust amongst the member institutions to agree to that?

I don't think there is.

Reaction Score

It doesn't trigger it contractually, but it's feasible that the Big 12 could have negotiated something with the TV partners like this. The fact that they could get the pro rata increase incentivizes ESPN to come up with a cheaper option. I'm not saying that any of this is true, and it's almost certainly not, but it's not unreasonable that they could come to an agreement where all B12 teams get a small bump and ESPN/Fox save money doing football-only adds.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It doesn't trigger it contractually, but it's feasible that the Big 12 could have negotiated something with the TV partners like this. The fact that they could get the pro rata increase incentivizes ESPN to come up with a cheaper option. I'm not saying that any of this is true, and it's almost certainly not, but it's not unreasonable that they could come to an agreement where all B12 teams get a small bump and ESPN/Fox save money doing football-only adds.

That's what my point was. Laughing at all these TV contract experts streaming it doesn't trigger the pro rata increase. That's the point.

And again, I doubt this happens and I know for certain the rumor is bogus but that was my thought process.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
This source must have been at a robowash.

Reaction Score
First, I don't believe this source whatsoever.

Second, I don't think it's as crazy as people make it out to be.

1. The research apparently shows that having 12 teams increases the odds for making the CFP.

2. BYU is a national football brand and could be competitive from day 1. UConn would offer a piece of the northeast without having to send their Olympic teams there.

3. Big 12 schools would see their per team take increase all while ESPN/Fox save money from paying the full pro rata.

4. UConn would need a basketball home and I'm sure Fox would want us in the Big East with some scheduling arrangements with the Big 12.

So, again I don't believe the rumor, I don't believe it will happen, but I don't think it is insane.
I'm not suggesting the big 12 isn't discussing, but it doesn't make sense on so many levels. It goes directly against Bowlsby's comments from last week regarding the entire AD being valued.

outside of perception, how does this help uconn? their share for FB only in Big12 will be $5M and BE will get them $500K.
Great!!! Uconn is P5.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
And yes, Jennifer Anderson is coming over to my house for sex only.

Reaction Score
I'm not suggesting the big 12 isn't discussing, but it doesn't make sense on so many levels. It goes directly against Bowlsby's comments from last week regarding the entire AD being valued.

outside of perception, how does this help uconn? their share for FB only in Big12 will be $5M and BE will get them $500K.
Great!!! Uconn is P5.

Joining the BE in all sports but Football will get UConn a bit more than $500K. If the BE TV Deal is worth $500 Mil over 12 years, with 11 members that comes out to $3.78 Mil per team, per year.

So in this pipe dream of a fantasy, UConn athletics would be getting about $8.78 Mil for their FB and BB, not including Hockey East deal and whether UConn would be able to get anything for their T3 Football rights (unclear if the BE schools retain their T3 Hoops rights).

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Is M H ver3 a dirty word? Can I not type that here??

Yup, he's been added to the potty mouth list here. Not sure why a few others haven't been added too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom