Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I personally would like to see more opinions from other schools on realignment. As long it is not trolling, it is all in good fun.

I like reading mountainman's take on this topic. Hopefully, he will continue to provide input in a positive manner.

We all want UConn to get into a p5 conference ASAP. These discussions are one of the few things that keep us sane.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I'd recommend you tell us. You're taking up a lot of bandwidth. Otherwise it would be best to save your thoughts.
Serious question: Why are you so obsessed with people creating new threads and people using bandwidth? Is this coming out of your pocket?

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
You are taking this way too seriously. What conference a school is in has no bearing on our personal lives or value of our degree. I seriously doubt Rice grads are crapping thier pants about being in C-USA.
If Rice grads are happy in Conference USA, then good for them. I won't presume to speak for all UConn grads, but many of us do take seriously the opportunity for our school to compete at the highest level of intercollegiate athletics. We face a substantial risk now of being left by the wayside for the foreseeable future, and as the gap continues to grow between the P5 haves and G5 have-nots, we eventually could fade into complete irrelevance. So for a lot of us, the stakes here are high, and we do take this seriously. Perhaps even "way too seriously," as you put it, but we can't help it. We care.

I appreciate your apparent support for UConn's Big 12 candidacy and, although some here may feel differently, I personally have no problem with reasoned, dissenting views. I would point out only that this is a passionate, severely traumatized fanbase and that you might not make many friends here suggesting that we are taking this too seriously or that this should be "all in good fun," or even that there is such a thing as "one of the best parts of conference realignment." From a UConn perspective, there has been nothing good about conference realignment. I suspect I am not alone on this board in wishing I had never heard the two words "conference realignment."

Jimbo

Running to Stand Still
Reaction Score
As far as Cincinnati goes, I thought the question that begat this whole Cincinnati side discussion was whether their non-football sports could easily find another home. It's probably true that Cincinnati derives substantial brand value from its football program, as compared to a non-FBS school like Villanova, but I think that's largely irrelevant when the only real issue is what value Cincinnati's non-football sports would bring to a conference. Take Boise State as another case: everyone knows their football program, but if a conference were considering adding only BSU's non-football sports, it's not clear to me that the football program's brand equity would have much carry-over to those other sports. And to the extent more sports fans can spot Cincinnati on a map than Villanova, I'd be willing to bet that has more to do with their familiarity with the Cincinnati Reds and Cincinnati Bengals than the anything the Cincinnati Bearcats have done. Don't get me wrong, Cincinnati has a proud basketball tradition (albeit one that peaked during the Kennedy administration), but I would argue that, if we're talking about non-football sports only, Villanova has a stronger brand these days.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Nope. Never even been to the city. But you think I'm a troll I see. LOL. I always thought you were more level headed than that.

I would have identified my team but I find its' better not to do so at places like this as once people know they immediately resort to childish comments. This keeps things from getting off track.

But I can assure you that I have nothing to do with Cinci but I do think they should be #13 or #14 on the Big 12 list if they decide to expand.

I agree that the 2 most valuable brands are UConn and BYU. And this is by a wide margin.

I don't think you're trolling. You have to understand that this board has become fairly popular for CR stuff since UConn fans are obsessed with it for obvious reasons. We're a large fanbase obsessed with UConn that absolutely hates being associated with a G5 conference. If you're here to discuss CR in a rational manner - welcome.

You're free to disclose whatever you want/don't want. I just personally think it's polite to do so. But that's my thing and I'll get over it.

If the B12 is smart, they would add brands. Streaming needs brands. I think the long-term future of the B12 is in FOX and being a P5 pioneer for streaming content. In 20 years, this actually might be the better means to distribute content without being locked in to one network and following their rules/determinations. Also could be much more profitable.

Reaction Score
@MountainMan - are you a Cinci fan? I don't care if you are, it's just polite to identify yourself.

I don't disagree with your points about brands, for the record. I think Cincinnati > majority of the Big East leftovers. Their new apparel deal they just signed proves the point. The two biggest brands in the G5 are UConn and BYU. But Cincinnati absolutely has a bigger brand than the other candidates...even Houston.

Cincy? Laffin. Its your old pal Okie Lite.

Reaction Score
Why do people complain about how they're treated on the Internet? It's the Internet. once someone logs in they turn into an over grown middle schooler, deal with it

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Getting other perspectives is one of the best parts of conference realignment IMO. From OU fans who think they should leave the conference yesterday to WVU fans who want a travel partner and long term home every fanbase has opinions on what needs to happen as do the candidates. It's all in good fun.
Yeah -- why wouldn't that perspective be welcome here? there's no 'best part' or 'good fun' in conference realignment to a UConn fan. This is not us being sensitive, it's you being insensitive.

Reaction Score
Cincy? Laffin. Its your old pal Okie Lite.

Oddly enough, I'm familiar with okie lite too.

I never really agreed with any of his absurd opinions but I believed he had a right to them and tried my best to defend him from the ostracizing hoard of xenophobe posters on the college football news big 12 forum. [I, of course, use the word "xenophobe" loosely, to mean (in this instance) folks who were distrustful of other posters who were new outsiders to the board].

That was back when I posted as the polarizing Hooky Hornstein. I'm mellower now. Peace, amigos. Go UConn!

Reaction Score
Can any of you please point out what I have said that made you so mad?

I'm completely baffled by the response to discussing BYU and UConn as FB only members of the Big 12. Seemed like a pretty honest discussion about that possibility. Yet it's clear that the natives have the pitchforks out.

Reaction Score

I'm completely baffled by the response to discussing BYU and UConn as FB only members of the Big 12. Seemed like a pretty honest discussion about that possibility. Yet it's clear that the natives have the pitchforks out.

No idea MountainMan - but I'm new here. I have no problem with you and welcome fans from any team/conference. Always nice to get other perspectives as some here tend to become a bit UConn-centric (it is hard not to at times). Anyway, welcome.

If people are obnoxious, screw them. They need to grow up. One guy was rude to me a few days back - probably because he's unemployed and sits here all day. There is a little circle of close-knit people that don't like "intruders." Easy enough to ignore.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
While that may have been the case back then a lot has changed since then. I suspect that FOX may have an interest in adding a bigger brand which Cinci is certainly a bigger brand than anyone in the BE from my perspective. To say that conference would turn down a much bigger brand than any current member may not be entirely true anymore. I can't think of any example where a bigger brand school was turned down by a conference. Can You?
yeah - pretty much every time the ACC added some one other than UConn....

Reaction Score

Conference Realignment always has us on edge and paranoid. And then there was the Navy game. Welcome to The Boneyard but leave your hurt feelings at the door. We've been through a lot lately.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It's a second or third tier conference in much of the Midwest unless you believe that Xavier is equal to tOSU or Creighton is equal to Nebraska. I have never lived in the Northeast but here in Nebraska the Big East is nothing and of the fans at the football game in Lincoln last week I doubt but a handful could even tell you a coach or player from most of the Big East schools. 99%+ would have no idea what schools are even in the Big East aside from Creighton.

Looking at the big picture football is the biggest sport on the college or pro level and it's' not even close. It's not going anywhere.

Which basketball program draws more fans? Creighton or Nebraska?

Reaction Score
Which basketball program draws more fans? Creighton or Nebraska?

Which school can people in the rest of the country point to on a map? Creighton or Nebraska?

Creighton is a really neat place, I was on campus for the CWS recently. But it is no way comparable to UNL even if attendance is similar for BB. Xavier is not comparable to tOSU even if attendance is similar for BB. Etc...

Reaction Score
Which school can people in the rest of the country point to on a map? Creighton or Nebraska?

Creighton is a really neat place, I was on campus for the CWS recently. But it is no way comparable to UNL even if attendance is similar for BB. Xavier is not comparable to tOSU even if attendance is similar for BB. Etc...

Certainly in everything other than basketball, Creighton is not comparable to Nebraska. But Creighton has a much better basketball program. Creighton has nine NCAA tournament appearances since 2000. Nebraska has one.

Reaction Score
Well, if the Mountain part doesn't imply your team then no I wouldn't be able to. That said, there are fans of other teams here, there's a Michigan poster, one from Texas, one from Kansas I think that all come to mind. Of course we also have had a fair amount of obvious trolls from Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, even Providence, and whoever Okielite is actually a fan of. If you don't want to disclose, that's fine. I don't have any problems either way and you seem like you're here to share honest thoughts. But do understand there are a lot of people here who are legitimately scarred by this whole realignment process. Inarguably, no school has been screwed worse than UConn has and a lot of people are really, really sensitive to anything that resembles negative commentary about UConn, not matter how correct and/or respectful it is.
You left off the worst of all: The FSU pest(s).

Reaction Score

Don't go there. There are people who can't find the United States on a map.

Reaction Score
Two of these dots are really, really close together so there should be no trouble connecting them. The third is a complete disconnect.

A. Our strength is in the sports "don't count."
B. We continue to have trouble selling ourselves to the P5 conferences because of poor performance/lack of history in football.
C. B12 to add us as football only.

Reaction Score
Certainly in everything other than basketball, Creighton is not comparable to Nebraska. But Creighton has a much better basketball program. Creighton has nine NCAA tournament appearances since 2000. Nebraska has one.
I think he's just talking brand/name recognition to the casual viewer.

Athlete94

UCONNGRD
Reaction Score
Stop trying to throw off the cat wash source, I believe more in that guy than this rumor.. Go Huskies!!

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Stop trying to throw off the cat wash source, I believe more in that guy than this rumor.. Go Huskies!!
Someone actually was able to wash a cat? One drop of water is enough for mine to freak.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's not a fair comparison because Nebraska's location is included in its name. So anyone who isn't a fan of anything would still know.

There is a fundamental mistake you are making with regard to college basketball vs. football. You are assuming college football is much more popular and has many more fans. It doesn't. It matters more in realignment because the NCAA has monetized the NCAA tournament and the conferences have monetized the bowl system. But there are just as many college basketball fans as football fans. Not in Alabama so much, but it NY, Chicago, Philadelphia, Boston, LA, DC etc.

So yes, people know who and where Villanova is, just as much as they know where Auburn is. I guarantee you that not many casual college sports fans know where Auburn is. Basketball does just as much for brand identity as football does, both is even better, and academic recognition helps too and a large alumni base. So of course, a school like tOSU or Michigan or UT is near the top of the list. They have everything. But thinking that nobody knows Gonzaga or Xavier would be wrong. Millions of people fill out brackets every year and watch those teams. The NCAA tournament final four tends to outdraw the football playoff overall (it's close).

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Well if they stick their finger right into the middle of the country, they'll hit both, since they're about a 2-hour drive away from each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom