Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Sources Say BYU/UConn will join Big 12 for FB only

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
While that may have been the case back then a lot has changed since then. I suspect that FOX may have an interest in adding a bigger brand which Cinci is certainly a bigger brand than anyone in the BE from my perspective. To say that conference would turn down a much bigger brand than any current member may not be entirely true anymore. I can't think of any example where a bigger brand school was turned down by a conference. Can You?
This opinion would cause a meltdown on a new BE school board. I would argue Georgetown and Villanova are both national brands by virtue of success in basketball greater than anything Cincy has done in 40 years.

Reaction Score
This opinion would cause a meltdown on a new BE school board. I would argue Georgetown and Villanova are both national brands by virtue of success in basketball greater than anything Cincy has done in 40 years.

I was curious but Georgetown and Cincy tournament histories are remarkably similar.

Georgetown 30 NCAA tournaments 1 title 5 final fours (47-29)
Cincinnati 30 NCAA tournaments 2 titles 6 final fours (44-29)
Villanova 36 NCAA tournaments 2 titles 5 final fours (57-35)

Xavier 26 NCAA tournaments 0 titles 0 final fours (24-26)

Reaction Score

Maybe in the NE part of the country but most of the country has no idea who any player or coach are on the georgetown team but likely know who Tommy Tupperware is from being a HC at Auburn and Tech and now Cinci. Villanova got some exposure with the NC but let's be real, the same was true about Villanova before that and even after Villanova is a nobody to most college fans. Hell most people from Oklahoma had no idea where Villanova was even from when they played in the final 4. I'm not kidding, they probably still have no idea and don't care. I bet if you asked fans in the South, Midwest, or West they have no idea where Villanova or Georgetown is even located. Small religious schools who play no football mean jack to them.

FOX might be interested if it was an option.

Reaction Score
I was curious but Georgetown and Cincy tournament histories are remarkably similar.

Georgetown 30 NCAA tournaments 1 title 5 final fours (47-29)
Cincinnati 30 NCAA tournaments 2 titles 6 final fours (44-29)
Villanova 36 NCAA tournaments 2 titles 5 final fours (57-35)

Xavier 26 NCAA tournaments 0 titles 0 final fours (24-26)

Look at the last 15-20 years at least since the field expanded to 64ish.

Reaction Score
You guys can't make up your minds. I have McLovin, people complain. I get asked to change it to someone modeling bikinis, I change it. Now you all want McLovin back... I can't win!

Just please no more Dude.

Reaction Score
Look at the last 15-20 years at least since the field expanded to 64ish.

Expanded to 64 in 1985. Since then:

Georgetown 21 NCAA tournaments, 0 titles, 2 final fours, 4 elite eights
Cincinnati 20 NCAA tournaments, 0 titles, 1 final four, 2 elite eights
Villanova 20 NCAA tournamentss, 2 titles, 3 final fours, 5 elite eights

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Expanded to 64 in 1985. Since then:

Georgetown 21 NCAA tournaments, 0 titles, 2 final fours, 4 elite eights
Cincinnati 20 NCAA tournaments, 0 titles, 1 final four, 2 elite eights
Villanova 20 NCAA tournamentss, 2 titles, 3 final fours, 5 elite eights
When did Georgetown win, in 1984? Sure it's subjective, but more of a household name to me (who was at UConn when BE formed and probably a bit biased towards the original BE members).

Reaction Score
Maybe in the NE part of the country but most of the country has no idea who any player or coach are on the georgetown team but likely know who Tommy Tupperware is from being a HC at Auburn and Tech and now Cinci. Villanova got some exposure with the NC but let's be real, the same was true about Villanova before that and even after Villanova is a nobody to most college fans. Hell most people from Oklahoma had no idea where Villanova was even from when they played in the final 4. I'm not kidding, they probably still have no idea and don't care. I bet if you asked fans in the South, Midwest, or West they have no idea where Villanova or Georgetown is even located. Small religious schools who play no football mean jack to them.

Strongly disagree. All college basketball fans know Villanova. Two Final Fours in the last 7 years including last year's national championship. Plus, probably the biggest upset of all time in a national championship game in 1985 over Georgetown. Under John Thompson, Georgetown was probably in the top 3 of college basketball brands, although it has faded somewhat.

Cinci is a solid, but not top brand in college basketball. Heck, the last time they were in the Final 8 was in 1996!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

The Big East will always be relevant for basketball because the midwest and northeast have the biggest concentrations of basketball fans.

As I have said before, football is one more concussion study away from becoming a fringe sport.

Reaction Score
If this rumor turns out to be true -- UConn football only goes to B12, maybe instead of other sports going to Big East -- they can go to ACC.

Reaction Score
Strongly disagree. All college basketball fans know Villanova. Two Final Fours in the last 7 years including last year's national championship. Plus, probably the biggest upset of all time in a national championship game in 1985 over Georgetown. Under John Thompson, Georgetown was probably in the top 3 of college basketball brands, although it has faded somewhat.

Cinci is a solid, but not top brand in college basketball. Heck, the last time they were in the Final 8 was in 1996!

I agree that under John Thompson Georgetown was on a national level, but that was a long time ago and has been forgotten by most.

I don't think people automatically decide to be fans of schools who make final fours. It's great and all but different than schools who have fans regardless of winning a tournament or getting to a final 4. Fans like that are short term and memories fade quickly once March is over and spring hits.

Most casual fans not form the NE pert of the country have no idea where Villanova is even located let alone consider them a national brand. Being the cinderella story of the tournament like VCU or Butler have been in recent history hardly makes you a big brand. It means for a couple of weeks in March you were a big deal. The other 50+ weeks a year the Georgetown's, Villanova's, Butler, VCU, Creightons of the world are regional at best and more likely just local brands nobody else pays attention to aside from the small (but rabid) fan bases. That's the downside to not being big public flagships like UConn who are more recognizable than all those put together and people actually know where UConn is located on a map.

This is essentially the equivalent of a West Coast guy claiming Gonzaga is a well known program when in reality most people in the country have no idea where it is located either and couldn't name a player or coach in thier entire AD.

Or a guy from the Midwest claiming that Creighton is a well known program when in reality most people in the country have no idea where they are located and couldn't name a player or coach in their AD.

All of those little cinderella schools like Wichita St, Creighton, Gonzaga, Villanova, Butler, VCU are neat but not recognized like Cinci is simply from playing football. People might have vague memories of those teams having a good tournament at some point but that doesn't mean they are tuning in for regular season games or follow the team in any way. But people including BIg 12 fans will be watching when Cinci plays Houston this weekend. Big 12 fans have zero interest in watching Big East events nor do fans of conference like the SEC or PAC.

Reaction Score
While that may have been the case back then a lot has changed since then. I suspect that FOX may have an interest in adding a bigger brand which Cinci is certainly a bigger brand than anyone in the BE from my perspective. To say that conference would turn down a much bigger brand than any current member may not be entirely true anymore. I can't think of any example where a bigger brand school was turned down by a conference. Can You?

The evidence of a troll is building up.

Reaction Score
Even basketball-wise, the B12 is vastly preferable to the BE. Much more exposure, much more credibility as a fully-vested P5 member. Better competition, especially in WBB.

Of course, either is vastly preferable to the AAC, and I wouldn't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Reaction Score
The Big East will always be relevant for basketball because the midwest and northeast have the biggest concentrations of basketball fans.

As I have said before, football is one more concussion study away from becoming a fringe sport.

It's a second or third tier conference in much of the Midwest unless you believe that Xavier is equal to tOSU or Creighton is equal to Nebraska. I have never lived in the Northeast but here in Nebraska the Big East is nothing and of the fans at the football game in Lincoln last week I doubt but a handful could even tell you a coach or player from most of the Big East schools. 99%+ would have no idea what schools are even in the Big East aside from Creighton.

Looking at the big picture football is the biggest sport on the college or pro level and it's' not even close. It's not going anywhere.

Reaction Score
The evidence of a troll is building up.

Just because someone has a different perspective than yo do does not make them a troll. It just mens you are really sensitive and dont' handle other opinions well.

I have no idea why explaining to you how obscure the Big East conference is at this point bothers you but that is your issue not mine. When you don't play the most popular sport anymore, have removed all your large well known programs, and are left with small private schools dont' be surprised if people no longer follow the conference like they used to when UConn, V-TEch, Miami, Notre Dame were in it. That is some big brand power they lost. . Why does that bother you?

Cinci is better than anything they have now.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
@MountainMan - are you a Cinci fan? I don't care if you are, it's just polite to identify yourself.

I don't disagree with your points about brands, for the record. I think Cincinnati > majority of the Big East leftovers. Their new apparel deal they just signed proves the point. The two biggest brands in the G5 are UConn and BYU. But Cincinnati absolutely has a bigger brand than the other candidates...even Houston.

Reaction Score
@MountainMan - are you a Cinci fan? I don't care if you are, it's just polite to identify yourself.

I don't disagree with your points about brands, for the record. I think Cincinnati > majority of the Big East leftovers. Their new apparel deal they just signed proves the point. The two biggest brands in the G5 are UConn and BYU. But Cincinnati absolutely has a bigger brand than the other candidates...even Houston.
Nope. Never even been to the city. But you think I'm a troll I see. LOL. I always thought you were more level headed than that.

I would have identified my team but I find its' better not to do so at places like this as once people know they immediately resort to childish comments. This keeps things from getting off track.

But I can assure you that I have nothing to do with Cinci but I do think they should be #13 or #14 on the Big 12 list if they decide to expand.

I agree that the 2 most valuable brands are UConn and BYU. And this is by a wide margin.

Reaction Score
Nope. Never even been to the city.

I would have identified my team but I find its' better not to do so at places like this as once people know they immediately resort to childish comments. This keeps things from getting off track.

But I can assure you that I have nothing to do with Cinci but I do think they should be #13 or #14 on the Big 12 list if they decide to expand.

I agree that the 2 most valuable brands are UConn and BYU. And this is by a wide margin.
If your handle is any indication, I think we can figure out where your association lies. Most of us here are accepting of other fans, though there are a few around here who idiotically judge people solely on their affiliation.

Reaction Score
If your handle is any indication, I think we can figure out where your association lies. Most of us here are accepting of other fans, though there are a few around here who idiotically judge people solely on their affiliation.

I bet you couldn't even come close to guessing who I follow. I'll give you a hint, it's not Cinci. Why does that even matter anyway??

And lets be real, there are almost no fans of other schools on this site because of how they are treated. You guys are really hard on people from other schools.

To put this in perspective this is a realignment board and the only conference adding schools is the Big 12. How many Big 12 posters are there on this board?

Go look at Big 12 schools boards and you will find people from all sorts of schools and conferences talking realignment. Getting other perspectives is one of the best parts of conference realignment IMO. From OU fans who think they should leave the conference yesterday to WVU fans who want a travel partner and long term home every fanbase has opinions on what needs to happen as do the candidates. It's all in good fun.

Reaction Score
I bet you couldn't even come close to guessing who I follow. I'll give you a hint, it's not Cinci. Why does that even matter anyway??

And lets be real, there are almost no fans of other schools on this site because of how they are treated. You guys are really hard on people from other schools.

To put this in perspective this is a realignment board and the only conference adding schools is the Big 12. How many Big 12 posters are there on this board?

Go look at Big 12 schools boards and you will find people from all sorts of schools and conferences talking realignment. Getting other perspectives is one of the best parts of conference realignment IMO. From OU fans who think they should leave the conference yesterday to WVU fans who want a travel partner and long term home every fanbase has opinions on what needs to happen as do the candidates. It's all in good fun.

I'd recommend you tell us. You're taking up a lot of bandwidth. Otherwise it would be best to save your thoughts.

Reaction Score
MM - you are clearly the fan of a team that is safely in the club.

UCONN has been the victim of a sorority fat circle for the last ten years.

I would guess there is nothing about this process that most UCONN fans find to be fun. And when fans of teams that are already in the circle come here, it is usually not with friendly intentions.

Reaction Score
I'd recommend you tell us. You're taking up a lot of bandwidth. Otherwise it would be best to save your thoughts.

Can you tell me what I've said that has upset you so much that you feel the need to ask me to leave?

It's quite humorous that you are acting this way as if you followed this you would know I am a fan of UConn and want UConn to get in the Big 12 and have done quite a bit of talking on other boards in your favor.

But thanks for proving my point about the ability for other fans to share opinions on this board.

Reaction Score
There was a hypothesis floated a bit back in another thread by @Ldandy :
Somewhere "Mountain Man" AKA Okie Lite is L-A-F-F-I-N his a** off over the * he's stirred up in this thread over the last few pages. Will he return to reap the rewards of his labors? Stay tuned...

Reaction Score
MM - you are clearly the fan of a team that is safely in the club.

UCONN has been the victim of a sorority fat circle for the last ten years.

I would guess there is nothing about this process that most UCONN fans find to be fun. And when fans of teams that are already in the circle come here, it is usually not with friendly intentions.

You are taking this way too seriously. What conference a school is in has no bearing on our personal lives or value of our degree. I seriously doubt Rice grads are crapping thier pants about being in C-USA.

Strangely enough one of the schools I follow, Wyoming, is not in any club. I am hoping that the MW gets raided by the AAC so Wyoming can join the Big Sky and actually have a chance to win something at the FCS level.

Reaction Score

Well, if the Mountain part doesn't imply your team then no I wouldn't be able to. That said, there are fans of other teams here, there's a Michigan poster, one from Texas, one from Kansas I think that all come to mind. Of course we also have had a fair amount of obvious trolls from Rutgers, Syracuse, BC, even Providence, and whoever Okielite is actually a fan of. If you don't want to disclose, that's fine. I don't have any problems either way and you seem like you're here to share honest thoughts. But do understand there are a lot of people here who are legitimately scarred by this whole realignment process. Inarguably, no school has been screwed worse than UConn has and a lot of people are really, really sensitive to anything that resembles negative commentary about UConn, not matter how correct and/or respectful it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom