Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 75 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I will say it's impressive nothing has leaked. Danny Boy kept the lid on this. I wonder what he told his players yesterday: tune in tomorrow at noon to see whether I'm your coach still! I'd be surprised if he didn't tell his kids something.

Reaction Score
The hype for this dude has completely taken on a life of its own.

I can't tell if we're still talking about Hurley or if a time machine was discovered in the basement at St. Joseph's and we're negotiating with a circa 1990 version of Jim Calhoun.

I agree with this.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah, but we are talking about a guy whose father coached the same high school for something like 50 years right? Its genetic if he can't let go.
If he says at URI, I'm fine with it from a UConn perspective. He made a lifestyle choice. Pitt on the other hand ...

Reaction Score
I'm not as worried as some. I know I'm in the severe minority. There are other good basketball coaches out there that will come to UConn if offered. Regardless of who we bring in, next year and the future years will be an improvement over what would have happened with KO at the helm (sad to say).

And I still will never understand teh Frank Martin hate on this board. The guy is only 51, has taken two non-basketball programs to the Elite 8 and Final 4, seems like a stand up guy and his teams play hellacious defense. To those who say he can't recruit - well then that means he's one hell of a coach if he can take crappy players the E8 and F4. Putting a UConn polo shirt while hitting the trail will likely spike his recruiting ability.

But again, regardless of what happens with Hurley we are going to be improving from here on out IMO.

Here's a great link on the character of the guy (sorry to sound like his agent but I'd take him in a heartbeat)

Frank Martin calls out angry parents at youth sports games

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
You're right as far as him as a coach, etc. I just have an incredibly difficult time thinking he can physically last to create some sort of stability. Same thing, obviously, with JC as some sort of a plan b.

Yeah, I agree he has issues.

But if you can't get Hurley, who is your 2nd choice?

I like Oats and Musselman, but they aren't great fits regionally. Matta at least has a national brand from his time at Ohio St.

Reaction Score
They are watching but not posting, which may be telling in and of itself.
The insiders here not saying much could be a good thing. If they knew that the news was negative there would be no downside in sharing. But I am thinking that it's possible they are being told by their sources that UConn is cautiously confident.

On the other hand, the most likely scenario is probably that no one knows anything.

evmore

FRIENDOftheprogram
Reaction Score
Look silence isn't always a bad thing. Either way, whether we get him or not we are still better off than 2 weeks ago. Don't get desperate though, act like a program that's won 4.. Bring back Calhoun and go full court press with fmr Uconn Pros to save Ajinko, let things settle for 2 years and make a run at another proven up and comer..

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score

I can't tell if we're still talking about Hurley or if a time machine was discovered in the basement at St. Joseph's and we're negotiating with a circa 1990 version of Jim Calhoun.

It's not even about Hurley. It's about four years of absolutely nothing good happening between CR, basketball and football and this being the one thing to get excited about. And on top of it all, having to compete with a P5 team for it. We're basically waiting for an affirmation that we are still something as a program, and feel that losing out on Hurley shows that we aren't.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I agree he has issues.

But if you can't get Hurley, who is your 2nd choice?

I like Oats and Musselman, but they aren't great fits regionally. Matta at least has a national brand from his time at Ohio St.

Oats would be mine, regional fit issues or not. Matta is an excellent coach, no doubt. But I don't see him being able to do the gig for very long. You figure it's going to take a year or two to instill a culture, recruit their players, impart a system, etc. If we've got to do this again in two years I'd be pissed.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
On the other hand, the most likely scenario is probably that no one knows anything.
That's my take. When people have been confident here they have had no problem conveying that; likewise, they have had no problem voicing concern when we appear to be on the losing end.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm not as worried as some. I know I'm in the severe minority. There are other good basketball coaches out there that will come to UConn if offered. Regardless of who we bring in, next year and the future years will be an improvement over what would have happened with KO at the helm (sad to say).

And I still will never understand teh Frank Martin hate on this board. The guy is only 51, has taken two non-basketball programs to the Elite 8 and Final 4, seems like a stand up guy and his teams play hellacious defense. To those who say he can't recruit - well then that means he's one hell of a coach if he can take crappy players the E8 and F4. Putting a UConn polo shirt while hitting the trail will likely spike his recruiting ability.

But again, regardless of what happens with Hurley we are going to be improving from here on out IMO.

Here's a great link on the character of the guy (sorry to sound like his agent but I'd take him in a heartbeat)

Frank Martin calls out angry parents at youth sports games
Totally agree that Hurley isn't the only coach in the world who can help us, but the optics of losing him is worth a half million/yr to avoid.

Get freaking Calhoun on the phone to Moore, if not Hurley. Find out what it takes to close this thing and be done.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Totally agree that Hurley isn't the only coach in the world who can help us, but the optics of losing him is worth a half million/yr to avoid.

Get freaking Calhoun on the phone to Moore, if not Hurley. Find out what it takes to close this thing and be done.
Increasingly, perception is reality. There is no avoiding the perception of an epic fail by UConn if we don't land him.

the Q

Reaction Score
Oats would be mine, regional fit issues or not. Matta is an excellent coach, no doubt. But I don't see him being able to do the gig for very long. You figure it's going to take a year or two to instill a culture, recruit their players, impart a system, etc. If we've got to do this again in two years I'd be pissed.

Totally fair and reasonable points.

I was the guy who started this Oats business before the Zona/Buffalo game.

I'm just happy we are finally discussing him. He's a fine #2 choice behind hurley here for me.

He just needs to get some high level assts who can recruit UConn's main areas (NE prep and NY).

the Q

Reaction Score

Losing him to Pitt doesn't hurt us that much. Their offer is massive.

Losing him to URI would be a death blow.

Reaction Score

His agent must be having a field day.

Reaction Score
where are you going in newport for that?

I'm exaggerating for comic effect. Though you have to admit Newport is a relatively expensive town overall. Just the nature of that kind of place.

I did get a Bloody Mary at The Chanler at Cliff Walk and I'm pretty sure they charged me like $15 for it.

Reaction Score
If Hurley stays at uri, that is hilarious. They have and will always be second fiddle to PC in terms of bball and political power within the state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom