Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 76 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Well, day three and you guys remain fully insane. The notion that not signing Hurley is a "death blow" is hysterical. You do realize, as it has always been, that results ON.THE.COURT are what really matters and regardless of who the new coach is, if they actually manage to do the job Ollie couldn't or wouldn't, this episode will be but a footnote in UConn basketball history. And, keep in mind, there is not just one coach that can be successful at UConn.

Reaction Score
Losing him to Pitt doesn't hurt us that much. Their offer is massive.

Losing him to URI would be a death blow.

Losing him to Pitt signals that we just can't keep up with P5. This will happen to any top candidate that comes along in the future. We'd have to pick from lower candidates and hope they develop into a top coach.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Nah, if he stays at URI the public narrative will be he was loyal, wanted to stay with his kids, etc. The private narrative will be wasn't ready, gut check, etc. Remember if he stays at URI both UConn and Pitt were turned down.

Now if he goes to Pitt, the public narrative will be UConn isn't a top job anymore, and the private narrative will be that AAC money has us in a death spiral.

I'm fine if stays at URI, but pretty pissed at the AD/admin if he ends up at Pitt.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I'm exaggerating for comic effect. Though you have to admit Newport is a relatively expensive town overall. Just the nature of that kind of place.

I did get a Bloody Mary at The Chanler at Cliff Walk and I'm pretty sure they charged me like $15 for it.

Yeah, there's always expensive places.

I prefer more of the O'Brien's of the world. But then again, I also don't hit the bars all that much.

Reaction Score
Sure, who doesn't love a $20 cocktail.

Never understood the Newport love. Full of pretentious snobs, overpriced everything and is a culinary wasteland.

Newport blows. There’s literally nothing good about RI. The beaches. LOL.

the Q

Reaction Score
Nah, if he stays at URI the public narrative will be he was loyal, wanted to stay with his kids, etc. The private narrative will be wasn't ready, gut check, etc. Remember if he stays at URI both UConn and Pitt were turned down.

Now if he goes to Pitt, the public narrative will be UConn isn't a top job anymore, and the private narrative will be that AAC money has us in a death spiral.

I'm fine if stays at URI, but pretty pissed at the AD/admin if he ends up at Pitt.

I see it the other way.

Pitt was all about the money. That's fine. UConn doesn't have crazy money to throw around.

But picking URI seems like the bigger blow to uconn being a top job IMO.

the Q

Reaction Score
I know people like to get hysterical on here but my god.

I'm talking perception/PR wise.

I'm confident a guy like Oats can do a damn good job here.

Reaction Score
Losing him to Pitt signals that we just can't keep up with P5. This will happen to any top candidate that comes along in the future. We'd have to pick from lower candidates and hope they develop into a top coach.

Fng Warde

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
This thread grew 17 pages over night .... lmao.

Reaction Score

Congrats. Every sentence you wrote is hyperbolic and just not true. All 3. The trifecta!

Reaction Score
Never understood the Newport love. Full of pretentious snobs, overpriced everything and is a culinary wasteland.

Newport blows. There’s literally nothing good about RI. The beaches. LOL.

It's heaven for a musician... Ridiculsou crowds, very generous club owners, and solid "talent."

Penfield

a.k.a PencilForest
Reaction Score
New York System Wieners?
Pizza Strips?
Coffee Milk?
Johnny Cakes?
Stuffies?
Del's?

the Q

Reaction Score
It's heaven for a musician... Ridiculsou crowds, very generous club owners, and solid "talent."

the talent in the summer is unreal.

i was a bouncer there for a few years.

Just absurd levels of talent.

Reaction Score
It's a great, fun, hip city with a lot of college kids and a lot to do. And it kicks the ass of any CT city and Providence as well imo. Only downside is that it is not that easy to get to.
And the pot holes. Pittsburgh is the pot hole capital of the USA.

Reaction Score
I'm not worried about the optics of losing out on Hurley - if we do. Just go after the next coach on your list. There are plenty of good coaches out there who would take what we are offering Hurley right now (and probably less than what we're offering him).

To me, if Hurley stays it's more his commitment to URI than not choosing us - and that's commendable

Reaction Score
For whatever my stupid opinion is worth, I think he's staying put.

I think URI and their administration is trying to push this program forward and he's their guy. I think they come close enough on the money. The conference is better than the American. The facility is new and just as nice as Gampel. I think our image of UConn is different than non-CT fans image of UConn and I don't think it's the destination job some believe it to be. I think it was a Calhoun phenomenon at the height of the Big East conference and all of that is now gone.

I'll predict he stays at URI and then this place gets littered with the "He's not ready for the big time" and "He just made the biggest mistake of his life" posts here.

Reaction Score

Losing him to Pitt......................UConn is more a mid major than a P5.
Losing him to URI...............................UConn is no longer a destination job.

Either way, its a narrative that will kick us where it counts.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'll predict he stays at URI and then this place gets littered with the "He's not ready for the big time" and "He just made the biggest mistake of his life" posts here.

Yep, I've already said as much a couple times.

Reaction Score
You're right as far as him as a coach, etc. I just have an incredibly difficult time thinking he can physically last to create some sort of stability. Same thing, obviously, with JC as some sort of a plan b.
Not sure why everyone is down on Matta. Not that he is ready to come back coaching and if so, would come here anyway. He is only 50 and his "health issues" are back problems for which he had surgery and is supposedly recovering and getting better.

I'm not as worried as some. I know I'm in the severe minority. There are other good basketball coaches out there that will come to UConn if offered. Regardless of who we bring in, next year and the future years will be an improvement over what would have happened with KO at the helm (sad to say).

And I still will never understand teh Frank Martin hate on this board. The guy is only 51, has taken two non-basketball programs to the Elite 8 and Final 4, seems like a stand up guy and his teams play hellacious defense. To those who say he can't recruit - well then that means he's one hell of a coach if he can take crappy players the E8 and F4. Putting a UConn polo shirt while hitting the trail will likely spike his recruiting ability.

But again, regardless of what happens with Hurley we are going to be improving from here on out IMO.

Here's a great link on the character of the guy (sorry to sound like his agent but I'd take him in a heartbeat)

Frank Martin calls out angry parents at youth sports games
Totally agree with this. If Hurley goes elsewhere, we should move on. Martin would be great so are others out there. Not matter what, we just need a change and an upgrade. To compare losing Hurley to not getting into the ACC is comical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom