Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 49 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nice post. I'm a UCONN fan and a UCONN grad, but my life is just fine with a lousy basketball team. I've got plenty of other things to do. And im not an advocate of furthering CTs debt to support our floundering baskeball program.

This post isn’t rooted in any logic. UConn is only nationally known because of basketball.

Reaction Score
95% of CCSU students are from the Connecticut and over 80% stay in the State after graduation. Actually, CCSU, Southern, Eastern, and Western are just as good for the State as UConn.

But that's not the point. The arrogance on this board is those who think they can buy their way out of previous mistakes. UConn made million dollar mistakes on Coach P, Diaco, and Ollie. That's millions of dollars flushed down the toilet and no accountability!

Yes, the State of Connecticut is overcommitted on State employees - pensions are killing us. And higher taxes are chasing away the goose that laid the golden egg. Just like the coaching buyouts are killing UConn. And the liberal view is to throw more money at the problem, but where is this money coming from?

Most posters here want someone else to pony up the dough - but they aren't paying these bills. UConn's expenses are already heavily subsidized by student fees and institutional support (State funds) - the conference realignment has destroyed UConn's cash flow. The reality is UConn is on a trend to have a budget closer to URI than Pitt in less than 10 years. That is the reality like it or not.

The immaturity of posters attacking a CCSU fans because of the size of our budget is comical, but not surprising.

UCONN basketball pays for itself. The buyouts being paid for by boosters. Your opinion is unwelcome and uninformed. Go back to the CCSU website.

Reaction Score
ncb_g_calhoun11_600.jpg

Not a bad fall back position. JC with Scott Burrell might be > Danny Hurley anyway. Scott Burrell is a very smart man and is well spoken.

Reaction Score
95% of CCSU students are from the Connecticut and over 80% stay in the State after graduation. Actually, CCSU, Southern, Eastern, and Western are just as good for the State as UConn.

But that's not the point. The arrogance on this board is those who think they can buy their way out of previous mistakes. UConn made million dollar mistakes on Coach P, Diaco, and Ollie. That's millions of dollars flushed down the toilet and no accountability!

Yes, the State of Connecticut is overcommitted on State employees - pensions are killing us. And higher taxes are chasing away the goose that laid the golden egg. Just like the coaching buyouts are killing UConn. And the liberal view is to throw more money at the problem, but where is this money coming from?

Most posters here want someone else to pony up the dough - but they aren't paying these bills. UConn's expenses are already heavily subsidized by student fees and institutional support (State funds) - the conference realignment has destroyed UConn's cash flow. The reality is UConn is on a trend to have a budget closer to URI than Pitt in less than 10 years. That is the reality like it or not.

The immaturity of posters attacking a CCSU fans because of the size of our budget is comical, but not surprising.

Seriously, WHAT-EVER. Yeah, the posters here, WE'RE the ones that think they can buy their way out of mistakes. Good Lord

Look, bub, I live out of state and have for 30 years. I don't pay one red cent in CT taxes. Know what ? I have been donating to the UConn Fund for 20 of those years. Fact is, my donations are funding UConn basketball infinitely more than your taxes. Get bent

Reaction Score
If he wants to maximize money, it's Pitt.
If he wants to maximize comfort, it's URI.
If he wants to maximize his legacy, it's UConn.

He won't win a natty at Pitt or URI, he has a shot in Storrs. Connecticut fans are, well, fanatical. He knows he'll have the adoration of the state. If he's the guy who puts UConn back into national contention, he'll have a national rep. Coincidentally, UConn is:
1) in a part of the country he and his family are familiar with and and comfortable in;
2) in a part of the country that is a rich recruiting ground in which he has connections; and
3) is an institution for he has personal insider connections (Calhoun and Moore).​
I like our chances. If I'm AD Dave, I say something like: "The Pitt offer is so high because it is not as desirable a job. I know it, they know it and, Dan, I think you know it too. We won't match it but we don't want lose you over money. So Dan what is the number that we can agree upon right now that makes you the next UConn basketball coach?" I'm confident there is a number that would get it done.

That said:

We're still doomed.

I think he's motivated by more than money. But for anyone who's been coveted in a job search, you know that you don't want to take so much less money that you feel like you're not going to be respected.

Basically, how much less money is he willing to tolerate from UConn (or URI) to feel like he's respected in the profession? I don't think anybody would respect if he turned down 3MM for 2MM.

But 3 for 2.5? Possibly.

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
OMG the political are going to get this thread locked.

And then we're going to have to start from scratch.

We'll be like some youngish, enthusiastic basketball coach inheriting an 0-18 conference record...

Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut taxpayers paid for that roof and now we are broke. UConn still owes a Kevin Ollie $10 million!

GE moved out to Boston, Malloy suspended every highway project in the State and we need to add highway tolls. Hartford is on the brink of bankruptcy and we have to spend $100 million just to sell the Civic Center to a private buyer.

Who is writing these checks on your behalf for UConn athletics? You must not be a State taxpayer.

The arrogance of some of you fans throwing State money at an Athletic Department in disarray. Sorry, but there are a lot less UConn fans than you think, and even less who think UConn can buy it way out of administrative mismanagement, poor coaching, and dwindling attendance.

You just paid $5 m to get rid of Diaco and are paying Randy Edsall $1 M a year - why in the world should we expect UConn to pay Hurley $2M a year?

The states tax payers don’t pay a single dime of that money. It’s all raised from athletic dept revenue. As much as i despise our governor, he has nothing to do with the money UCONN has or spends in relation the the athletic dept.

$3.4 Million for Fired UConn Coach. So Who Pays?

Also, no one here knows how much money UCONN has to invest in a coach. In 2016, UCONN’s athletic revenues were just over $44 million. I’m sure it’s been less the past two seasons with men’s basketball being as bad as it’s been, however, money was still being made.

I would find it extremely hard to believe that UCONN “cannot afford” $3 million or so for Hurley.

This is all good fodder, but it will come down to money and if Hurley wants to take a job or rebuild a program....that’s the difference between Pitt and UCONN. Pitt is a job and UCONN is a program, IMO

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Hey people of the boneyard who aren’t computer savvy. You can make screenshots without using your phone. If you have a pc you can use the snipping tool. If you have a Mac you can use a version of the snipping tool. You can also copy and paste the link and the tweet automatically embedded. #millennialcomputertips

Reaction Score
Back to topic. Reading URI blog. A lot of second guessing. Pitt not believed by several posters. Seems to be tied to meeting Hurley had with team today. Personally, if he told players Pitt or UCONN this aftenoon, no way it is still quiet. I think we are still maintaining lead. If he was leaning towards us and we were a half mil off. No way a few donors dont step up. Should have been a 30 min exercise to get confirmations

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thanks, but what did Alyssa Milano say about Stormy Daniels and our coaching vacancy - it got cut off.

Reaction Score
The states tax payers don’t pay a single dime of that money. It’s all raised from athletic dept revenue. As much as i despise our governor, he has nothing to do with the money UCONN has or spends in relation the the athletic dept.

$3.4 Million for Fired UConn Coach. So Who Pays?

Also, no one here knows how much money UCONN has to invest in a coach. In 2016, UCONN’s athletic revenues were just over $44 million. I’m sure it’s been less the past two seasons with men’s basketball being as bad as it’s been, however, money was still being made.

I would find it extremely hard to believe that UCONN “cannot afford” $3 million or so for Hurley.

This is all good fodder, but it will come down to money and if Hurley wants to take a job or rebuild a program....that’s the difference between Pitt and UCONN. Pitt is a job and UCONN is a program, IMO
Amen

Reaction Score

Yup, Pitt could be a career killer just like Rutgers and BC, but money talks I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom