Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 48 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
yeah that's what it sounds like. UConn thinks/thought it was a done deal. Someone jumped the gun. You would think as a University we would know nothing is done until it's signed in ink.

Zionn isn't the angel of death; Oz is.

Reaction Score
Okay so we know he might sleep on the decision. Hopefully he doesn’t, but I’m still not sure why everyone is freaking out?
Me either. The report is the announcement will be tmmrw afternoon. Nothing other than that has changed

Reaction Score

ncb_g_calhoun11_600.jpg

Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut taxpayers paid for that roof and now we are broke. UConn still owes a Kevin Ollie $10 million!

GE moved out to Boston, Malloy suspended every highway project in the State and we need to add highway tolls. Hartford is on the brink of bankruptcy and we have to spend $100 million just to sell the Civic Center to a private buyer.

Who is writing these checks on your behalf for UConn athletics? You must not be a State taxpayer.

The arrogance of some of you fans throwing State money at an Athletic Department in disarray. Sorry, but there are a lot less UConn fans than you think, and even less who think UConn can buy it way out of administrative mismanagement, poor coaching, and dwindling attendance.

You just paid $5 m to get rid of Diaco and are paying Randy Edsall $1 M a year - why in the world should we expect UConn to pay Hurley $2M a year?

Hard to disagree with a word of this

Without joining a different conference we're just one of those athletic departments that sucks revenue from anywhere and everywhere else. Dismal.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
URI blog saying he is going to Pitt ( 17 minutes ago). Announcement tomorrow

Apparently Hurley had a team meeting and announced that.

Then again, Pitt board says if we don't get Hurley we're going to the BE.

Can't trust this stuff.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
OT: When you open a long thread like this after being away for several hours, do you jump to the last post and work your way up, or start somewhere in the middle? Yeee
I go, ", 400 more posts? " read a page or two from where I started, then jump to the last page and then back one, and get current, knowing that I'm about to spend another couple hours our of touch.

Seems like Hurley is doing what he needs to, and don't we want that in our next coach?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
FWIW someone on the Pitt board is saying they hired a coach. Didn’t know who but said it about the same time as the URI guy said Hurley had his team meeting to tell them he’s leaving.

Hope these are random posters and a random coincidence but not feeling good.

Reaction Score
Come back when you have a plan to cure CTs real problems, the underfunded pension funds for the thousands of overcompensated state union employees that raise our taxes to extreme highs chasing out all the earners. Until them . UCONN is actually good for the state.

95% of CCSU students are from the Connecticut and over 80% stay in the State after graduation. Actually, CCSU, Southern, Eastern, and Western are just as good for the State as UConn.

But that's not the point. The arrogance on this board is those who think they can buy their way out of previous mistakes. UConn made million dollar mistakes on Coach P, Diaco, and Ollie. That's millions of dollars flushed down the toilet and no accountability!

Yes, the State of Connecticut is overcommitted on State employees - pensions are killing us. And higher taxes are chasing away the goose that laid the golden egg. Just like the coaching buyouts are killing UConn. And the liberal view is to throw more money at the problem, but where is this money coming from?

Most posters here want someone else to pony up the dough - but they aren't paying these bills. UConn's expenses are already heavily subsidized by student fees and institutional support (State funds) - the conference realignment has destroyed UConn's cash flow. The reality is UConn is on a trend to have a budget closer to URI than Pitt in less than 10 years. That is the reality like it or not.

The immaturity of posters attacking a CCSU fans because of the size of our budget is comical, but not surprising.

RoderickSpode

7th Earl of Sidcup
Reaction Score
FWIW someone on the Pitt board is saying they hired a coach. Didn’t know who but said it about the same time as the URI guy said Hurley had his team meeting to tell them he’s leaving.

Hope these are random posters and a random coincidence but not feeling good.

Was talking about it last night when the narrative shifted from “sure thing” to “Pitt still involved”, but this feels just like November 2012 when we were penned in to the ACC and Louisville used whiteout on us. I’m prepared for the worst.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Hard to disagree with a word of this

Without joining a different conference we're just one of those athletic departments that sucks revenue from anywhere and everywhere else. Dismal.

I strongly disagree with adding tolls. Absolute deal breaker.

Reaction Score
For me following this is probably as good as following Tiger in upcoming Masters. Champion fallen on hard times, trying to make a come back, so much still there, but not what used to be, some reason for optimism, but unknown, lots of drama. If we could throw in hookers and blow Icould sit back and follow this for days!

On a serious note, and more similarities to Tiger, elite players and coaches measure themselves by championships. Sure money is important, but in the end Hurley has to believe he can create a better legacy at UCONN than Pitt or URI. If we convince him of that all else will fall in place.

Reaction Score
The State of Connecticut taxpayers paid for that roof and now we are broke. UConn still owes a Kevin Ollie $10 million!

GE moved out to Boston, Malloy suspended every highway project in the State and we need to add highway tolls. Hartford is on the brink of bankruptcy and we have to spend $100 million just to sell the Civic Center to a private buyer.

Who is writing these checks on your behalf for UConn athletics? You must not be a State taxpayer.

The arrogance of some of you fans throwing State money at an Athletic Department in disarray. Sorry, but there are a lot less UConn fans than you think, and even less who think UConn can buy it way out of administrative mismanagement, poor coaching, and dwindling attendance.

You just paid $5 m to get rid of Diaco and are paying Randy Edsall $1 M a year - why in the world should we expect UConn to pay Hurley $2M a year?
Nice post. I'm a UCONN fan and a UCONN grad, but my life is just fine with a lousy basketball team. I've got plenty of other things to do. And im not an advocate of furthering CTs debt to support our floundering baskeball program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom