Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 30 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Guys, we haven’t even formally interviewed anyone else. Multiple media members(including Goodman), have said he’s coming, or is very likely to be coming. URI doesn’t have the recourses for what he’s demanding, and we already have those things.

He’s ours, relax.

Reaction Score
Narrator: They did not relax.

2Li7xFW.png

Reaction Score
I agree. But we wouldn't make Hurley. Hurley had made his own name the past 8 years at URI and Wagner. He doesn't need us.... We need him, or someone close to his caliber.
True. But so to has other coaches. To get to the next level, Hurley needs to go far in the tourney, win one, send guys to the NBA, etc. You are seeing the ceiling at URI, not the floor. If he comes to UConn, that next step is attainable. Currently, its not.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Fortunately...

Sources familiar with Hurley say he and his family strongly prefer the UConn job — but he does not want to take significantly less than he could get elsewhere.

Interesting, first I heard that. I had been reading his wife really wanted to stay in Kingston. Good stuff

If UCONN cheaps out, you know where we stand going forward. It's not possible to compete in college athletics anymore while doing that.

Reaction Score
You guys need to calm down. I would give it til end of business tomorrow before its time to even be worried. Some say he's already signed and is going to tell the URI community in person like a man, which is great. I give it til tomorrow for that to organically happen. If it stretches further then I think he's playing the Pitt thing to get more money out of UConn, or to get URI to commit to extending the budget which I don't think happens.

But hearing people talking about Diallo and Kasongo... calm down, the guy's team was knocked out of the tourney literally 3 days ago, it would be classless for him to peace out any quicker from a place he clearly enjoyed his time
"it would be classless for him to peace out any quicker from a place he clearly enjoyed his time"
You mean like the way Randy Edsall left?

Reaction Score
True. But so to has other coaches. To get to the next level, Hurley needs to go far in the tourney, win one, send guys to the NBA, etc. You are seeing the ceiling at URI, not the floor. If he comes to UConn, that next step is attainable. Currently, its not.
Yeah, the A10 as a league just doesn't have the depth of resources or general coherence to compete at the highest levels consistently, particularly when they lost Xavier and Temple.

They had a year there with VCU, Temple, Butler, Xavier where they looked like they could turn the corner, but the bottom of that league is weighed down by the Fordhams of the world.

Say what you will about Tulane, but they hired Dunleavy. USF has made an NCAAT. ECU is (was?) planning on hiring the UMBC coach. It's a different world.

Reaction Score
So you're saying Hurley wants to coach at a nationally-relevant, basketball-first school with top-notch facilities? Hmm, wonder where- outside of the Land of Make Believe that appears to be Kingston, RI- he could find a place like that?
Are you suggesting UCONN is basketball first? Many Boneyarders would adamantly disagree.
I agree UCONN is the best place to take something with intrinsic value, build it back up to National prominence and be a stone's throw to RI if quality of life is important to his family.
Even with potential upgrades URI has a ceiling, even if they dropped CAA football (sound familiar).
Pitt is only intriguing because of the ACC and $$$, but it could be one of those trap jobs like Merrimack college Hockey where careers go to die.

Reaction Score
Guys, this is all pretty much standard operating procedure.

His team got knocked out Saturday. They got home Sunday. There's exit interviews, locker clean out, eoY meetings with staff... he interviewed not once, but apparently twice (us and Pitt) - and even went as far as to get a solid contract offer from us - which apparently according to some is a done deal.

Now he's going to meet with his AD today. Could be to try to get a new deal. Could just be saying goodbye. Either way - if a dude is paying you over $1 million to coach basketball, you give him the courtesy and respect of a face to face - maybe even a chance to offer to match.

Meeting could have been at 9am. Might not be until 4pm. Either way - that's happening at some point today.

So for 72-hours or so - that's an awful lot going on for a coach - nevermind the previous few weeks that immediately preceeded it. So stop acting like this is taking forever. It's moving really fast. Also lay off the dude if he wants a day to let his brain settle...

Reaction Score
If we miss on him, then too bad, but there are other coaches to go get. But all the signs pretty much say he's coming.

Reaction Score
Guys, we haven’t even formally interviewed anyone else. Multiple media members(including Goodman), have said he’s coming, or is very likely to be coming. URI doesn’t have the recourses for what he’s demanding, and we already have those things.

He’s ours, relax.
Doomed

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't agree with touching football. But, losing Hurley should 99% be blamed on KO and 1% be blamed on Calhoun for saddling us with KO.

It's not that black and white. If we lost him to Pitt, who's in a way worse situation than us basketball-wise, it's because of conference, and the reported huge money being thrown around.

If we lost him to URI, it's a tough blow. But it's not because of KO. It would be due to several factors, including the incubent principle, the fact that Hurley is very loyal, he and his family loves their situation, and URI stepped up significantly in some way. Some of these are unique to Hurley.

KO didn't help at all, but the top five factors in no order sound like:
  • Commitment to basketball from the school
  • Money
  • Family/lifestyle
  • Loyalty
  • Conference
If KO hadn't sunk the program, he wouldn't be getting this opportunity anyway.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Are you suggesting UCONN is basketball first? Many Boneyarders would adamantly disagree.
I agree UCONN is the best place to take something with intrinsic value, build it back up to National prominence and be a stone's throw to RI if quality of life is important to his family.
Even with potential upgrades URI has a ceiling, even if they dropped CAA football (sound familiar).
Pitt is only intriguing because of the ACC and $$$, but it could be one of those trap jobs like Merrimack college Hockey where careers go to die.

From my vantage point, UConn is absolutely basketball-first. I understand the value in playing football at the highest level possible and respect that football is the most important game in the business of collegiate athletics, and I want to protect the football program for the health of the AD, so I suck up being in the AAC for basketball, however unpleasant it seems to be. Don't confuse "has an FBS football team" with "football first." We are basketball-first much the same way Kansas and Indiana are.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Guys, this is all pretty much standard operating procedure.

His team got knocked out Saturday. They got home Sunday. There's exit interviews, locker clean out, eoY meetings with staff... he interviewed not once, but apparently twice (us and Pitt) - and even went as far as to get a solid contract offer from us - which apparently according to some is a done deal.

Now he's going to meet with his AD today. Could be to try to get a new deal. Could just be saying goodbye. Either way - if a dude is paying you over $1 million to coach basketball, you give him the courtesy and respect of a face to face - maybe even a chance to offer to match.

Meeting could have been at 9am. Might not be until 4pm. Either way - that's happening at some point today.

So for 72-hours or so - that's an awful lot going on for a coach - nevermind the previous few weeks that immediately preceeded it. So stop acting like this is taking forever. It's moving really fast. Also lay off the dude if he wants a day to let his brain settle...
DEFE2039-D0D6-41E0-BC5A-89976C9BF395.jpeg
“Standard what?”

Reaction Score
"it would be classless for him to peace out any quicker from a place he clearly enjoyed his time"
You mean like the way Randy Edsall left?
Edsall left in an even more classless fashion. Although I think he could have enjoyed his time here only so much with Hathaway as his boss.

But time goes on and he has been forgiven

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard that URI has published a memo to it's adminstration that Hurley is going to uconn?

Reaction Score
Has anyone heard that URI has published a memo to it's adminstration that Hurley is going to uconn?
Lol are you asking us about this or telling us about this? If you’re asking us then no I haven’t seen anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom