Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley | Page 29 | The Boneyard

Some Guy: UConn close to signing Hurley

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
Please note:
Dan Hurley will not make UConn. UConn could make Dan Hurley.

I want the guy, but its not the end of the world until we know who the next hire is.

I mean...

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I keep picturing Borg

I keep picturing:

latest

Reaction Score
I am getting a feeling he ain't coming here. I know I may be wrong big time. ACC v. the AAC? No brainer.
Keep in mind that he's in RI now and his family likes it there. If he comes to UConn they can literally stay there... can't say the same for Pitt. It'd be like if you had a great job offer states away at a good company, or the choice of an equally great job like 40 minutes away from your existing home. You can go with one option and not really change life all that much, that has to factor into it

Reaction Score
How long do we let Hurley play a back and forth game? IMO UConn should start interviewing other candidates and make Hurley aware of this.

If the AD has all of his eggs in Hurley's basket, then Hurley is in control....the AD must be pretty confident...hopefully...

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Hurley hasn’t even finished his meeting with URI yet people are saying there’s a “delay”. Just because we want it to be officially announced right away doesn’t mean anything is wrong. The paranoia in this thread is cringeworthy.

Reaction Score
I mean...
What do you mean? Seems like people are in panic mode because we haven't heard anything official. We are still UConn and even if we miss on Hurley, I am confident DB will land a big name.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
But we have no evidence of this one way or another.
Except every report from anyone with an ounce of insight into our program here and elsewhere saying we’ve had our eyes set almost exclusively on Hurley since before Ollie was fired.

BaZZnBOAT

ONIONS!
Reaction Score
What do you mean? Seems like people are in panic mode because we haven't heard anything official. We are still UConn and even if we miss on Hurley, I am confident DB will land a big name.

I agree. But we wouldn't make Hurley. Hurley had made his own name the past 8 years at URI and Wagner. He doesn't need us.... We need him, or someone close to his caliber.

Reaction Score
Except every report from anyone with an ounce of insight into our program here and elsewhere saying we’ve had our eyes set almost exclusively on Hurley since before Ollie was fired.
Every report until the last two days had a list of coaches.

We've obviously narrowed in on Hurley, and pretty much everyone with some level of knowledge believes he's ours barring a hail-mary like URI building a practice facility.

If they land that hail-mary, I feel pretty okay that they'll go back to that previous list and pull up someone else who is pretty darn good.

But if they're this focused on Hurley at this stage, I suspect it's because our insiders are right.

Reaction Score
The demands (upgrades) are interesting. Before Cooley came to PC he wanted upgrades to basketball offices, and they are currently building their practice facility. Since being hired they have been to 5 straight NCAA tournaments after years of mediocrity. PC hockey coach Nate Leaman demanded upgrade to Schneider Arena as a condition of hire. Since they rebuilt the arena they are a perennial NCAA tournament participant with a National Championship.
URI fans/alumni are right that the RI legislature has treated URI as second class citizens vis a vi PC, but they also recognize this rare opportunity they have with Hurley after years of struggle since the Odom days. This is why the KeaneyBlue message board has been blowing up.
Hurley is an emotional guy, and I expect he will take his time to talk to family and think before making a snap decision. This is URI's #1 sport as football is irrelevant with 3 winning seasons in 30 years. The fact that Hurley is giving URI a chance to consider upgrades clearly means it is not about $$$.
This coaching carousel is moving fast. Reminds me of frenzy of hiring / firing in the NFL after the regular season is over before the Super Bowl. As someone else said, Hurley is probably hyper aware that this could be his best opportunity for his career.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that he's in RI now and his family likes it there. If he comes to UConn they can literally stay there... can't say the same for Pitt. It'd be like if you had a great job offer states away at a good company, or the choice of an equally great job like 40 minutes away from your existing home. You can go with one option and not really change life all that much, that has to factor into it

Quite frankly, his love for the state of RI is a giant red flag.

Reaction Score
Except every report from anyone with an ounce of insight into our program here and elsewhere saying we’ve had our mind set almost exclusively on Hurley since before Ollie was fired.

I truly hope this is not the case. You always need a backup plan, regardless of how certain you are, because things happen. If we don't have a plan B and have to open the process up again, who knows what the end result will be. Hopefully, Bennett has a backup list he can call on if he has to.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I don't think the Pitt job is as bad as people are making it out to be... it's not like Pitt is a wasteland of a basketball school. They have a history of some success, are in the ACC, and Hurley has a track record of turning programs around, quickly. Not a bad gig for $3 mil+. Plus he can start fresh with his own footprint.

You're other points aside, this is NOT a plus. It's a big massive pile of negative. No matter how anyone tries to spin it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The demands (upgrades) are interesting. Before Cooley came to PC he wanted upgrades to basketball offices, and they are currently building their practice facility. Since being hired they have been to 5 straight NCAA tournaments after years of mediocrity. PC hockey coach Nate Leaman demanded upgrade to Schneider Arena as a condition of hire. Since they rebuilt the arena they are a perennial NCAA tournament participant with a National Championship.
URI fans/alumni are right that the RI legislature has treated URI as second class citizens vis a vi PC, but they also recognize this rare opportunity they have with Hurley after years of struggle since the Odom days. This is why the KeaneyBlue message board has been blowing up.
Hurley is an emotional guy, and I expect he will take his time to talk to family and think before making a snap decision. This is URI's #1 sport as football is irrelevant with 3 winning seasons in 30 years. The fact that Hurley is giving URI a chance to consider upgrades clearly means it is not about $$$.
This coaching carousel is moving fast. Reminds me of frenzy of hiring / firing in the NFL after the regular season is over before the Super Bowl. As someone else said, Hurley is probably hyper aware that this could be his best opportunity for his career.

So you're saying Hurley wants to coach at a nationally-relevant, basketball-first school with top-notch facilities? Hmm, wonder where- outside of the Land of Make Believe that appears to be Kingston, RI- he could find a place like that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom