So... UConn 56 - URI 49 | Page 3 | The Boneyard

So... UConn 56 - URI 49

How do feel after this game?

• Great! 56 points, what's not to like?

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Good. We needed a win and now we have one.

Votes: 77 41.4%
  • Okay. This may be the only game we win.

Votes: 64 34.4%
  • Bad. We gave up 49 points. Crocker is officially on the clock

Votes: 29 15.6%
  • OMG QUIT FBS! We barely won a squeaker against a FCS team (again.)

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
We do not have the physical strength or quickness with enough players at LB and DB to run Crocker's defense. So we put more lineman on the field the first 2 games and most of today. Finally we put some faster players at DE in the 4th Q. Having this many freshman DB's is insane but it is where we are. The need to recruit at the DE and LB spots is glaring and unless we get a JUCO we are still putting freshman on the field who aren't ready next year. Pindell sometimes takes a while to hit an open receiver and there are times when he needs to put more heat on his throws but for the most part he put the ball on the money today. The biggest thing that led to the win for us today is that we took the lead and never trailed all game.

Reaction Score
There is no “yes, they are freshmen, but...”

They are freshmen. Marginal at that. Full stop. You know what fixes that? 3 more years. We don’t have the depth necessary to compete and it will take years to fix.
Some of these kids just ain't ready. It is what it is. I saw a DB trip over his own feet in coverage today. A true freshman who should be redshirting. I'm more disappointed that the DBs Edsall recruited last year Bebe Olanayan, Rob King, etc are not seeing the field over some of the true freshman.

Reaction Score
If you think Edsall finally had enough with the defense and took over in the last possession you are deluting yourself. I know it fits your narrative but no.

After the game Edsall said the defensive package(with Beavers and Thomas as the ends) was installed this week in practice but they did not get a chance to use it during the game because they couldn’t get URI in a 3rd down... literally could not get them into a 3rd down to put those 2 rushing ends in.

Went on to say that in games going forward maybe they will need to use that package in more than just 3rd down to get more speed on the field(or something to that effect).

There is blame to go all around for the defense. To lay it all at the feet of Crocker is BS.
Could have sworn Thomas came on a stunt from an OLB position am I wrong that?

Reaction Score
Could have sworn Thomas came on a stunt from an OLB position am I wrong that?
I'm not sure about that play, but he had his hand in the dirt a couple times

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
I am happy to get one in the win column, but giving up 49 points and a total of 167 points in the first three games....that's cause for just a bit of concern. Next up is Syracuse which has scored a total of 134 points in their first three games. :oops:

Reaction Score
Beavers and Thomas were on the ends for the last series.

Actually put good pressure on the qb the whole series.
I think we'll see more of them on the ends in the future.
Discussed in this Jacobs article in its own thread:
Jeff Jacobs: UConn’s crucial stop could be a step in the right direction

>>Edsall said he saw players with more confidence in the fourth quarter. Maybe that manifests itself in the coming games. Maybe it doesn’t.

“What matters is we made big plays when we needed them,” Edsall said. “Eli made big plays.”

Again, truth.

Edsall said they had experimented in preseason when Thomas did drills on one-on-one pass rush with the offensive line.

“We put that in this week to help us a little bit on third down,” Edsall said. “This is a constant evolution of trying to get the best mix, the best packages of guys we can for all different scenarios we might see.

“Putting him and Darrian (Beavers) in there, making that move with Beavers (from linebacker to defensive end) and putting James (Atkins) and Lwal (Uguak) inside, and also Pierce (DeVaughn) we got in there this week,” Edsall said. “We had to find a way to get more speed on the field on third down and generate a pass rush without having to blitz all the time.

“Maybe that’s something we look at on first and second downs.”<<

>>“We didn’t tackle as well as I hoped,” Edsall said. “Some of it’s strength. Some technique.”<<

Reaction Score
I'm not sure about that play, but he had his hand in the dirt a couple times
He was way out on the outside with his hand in the ground and came on a wide looping stunt. It was a nice play.

We have to get teams into third downs for that formation.

Reaction Score
Why do you think that hasn't already happened?
Because I saw them arguing during the game, or if not arguing having an animated discussion. Also the way Crocker reacted when the game was over. If it had already happened there would have been no arguing at all, though I do think Edsall called for some blitzing near the eog.

Reaction Score
Just gonna leave this right here....

Attachments

• AD5D0A3E-A2C3-44F9-BA57-96E25F734A4F.jpeg
    AD5D0A3E-A2C3-44F9-BA57-96E25F734A4F.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 87

Purple Stein

I like to sim things.
Reaction Score
Pindell is not what we need at QB, has no instinct for the position. He is what we have this season so I hope the others are in deep preparation for next season.

I’m excited about Marvin Washington and the kid with all the consonants in his name. But Pindell completed 75% of his passes for 300 yards and 4 TD. He ran for 140 and 2 more TD.

If 440 total yards and 6 TD isn’t good enough, what exactly are you expecting?

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
it's more like you left an empty glass outside and it rained a little overnight. there's some water in it now, but I'm not sure you'd want to drink it.
I would. Why not? Sweet rainwater is tasty.

Reaction Score
We’ve played 3 on the line, we’ve played 4 on the line.

We’ve had db’s give a cushion, we’ve had them play tight.

We’ve played base defense, we’ve blitzed.

The fact that so many of you are blaming the coaching for the defense is astonishing. Wade Phillips would’ve given up 40+ in every game we’ve played this year.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Can’t bring in a DC if you have no intention of running his system.

This is something that I've never understood in any sport.

Yes, some coaches are "systems" coaches, where they want to play a style and try to fit the personnel into it. But when you're a defensive coordinator and your personnel doesn't fit your desired system, you plan for a system that fits your personnel. Period. Or hit the road.

It was well chronicled last year that his system wasn't working for the personnel that we had/have. If he can't find a way to get a system for our current personnel that makes us even remotely competitive against 1-AA squads, then he simply needs to hit the road...

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Crocker is the fall guy. He does not have the pieces to competitively run anything, nevermind what he’d like to run. He won’t have it next year either. He will be shown the door eventually... hopefully his successor will have the depth necessary to compete. It will take years to fix.

Reaction Score
I’m excited about Marvin Washington and the kid with all the consonants in his name. But Pindell completed 75% of his passes for 300 yards and 4 TD. He ran for 140 and 2 more TD.

If 440 total yards and 6 TD isn’t good enough, what exactly are you expecting?
Pindell is helping with his legs and throws a catchable ball. He missed a ton of open 2nd and 3rd receivers today tucking and running once the primary receiver wasn’t open. Not sure how that gets fixed because he generally gets good plays out of his feet. My fear is against any decent defense he’s going to have to use his progressions, and they will key on the QB run option. It was nice to see a little run game develop with Mensah, because we can’t be one one dimensional with Pindell.

Reaction Score
This is something that I've never understood in any sport.

Yes, some coaches are "systems" coaches, where they want to play a style and try to fit the personnel into it. But when you're a defensive coordinator and your personnel doesn't fit your desired system, you plan for a system that fits your personnel. Period. Or hit the road.

It was well chronicled last year that his system wasn't working for the personnel that we had/have. If he can't find a way to get a system for our current personnel that makes us even remotely competitive against 1-AA squads, then he simply needs to hit the road...
If you can do one thing well, do that thing.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
the Unix philosophy. If you can do one thing well, do that thing

The problem is that the "one thing" should be what the players do well, not what the coach does well only with the right players...

Reaction Score
The problem is that the "one thing" should be what the players do well, not what the coach does well only with the right players...
there are positives and negatives to both.

the benefit of having a system is that you know it intricately. if you have a system that you as a coach understand top to bottom, you can better teach it to your players

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Crocker is the fall guy. He does not have the pieces to competitively run anything, nevermind what he’d like to run. He won’t have it next year either. He will be shown the door eventually... hopefully his successor will have the depth necessary to compete. It will take years to fix.

I'd agree with you if we were still talking about UCF or Boise. But we're talking about Rhode Island.

Any DC worth his salt has to be able to take this roster in year 2 and do better than 49 points against Rhody. I'm sorry, but that's the honest truth here. And i'm normally a "glass is 1/8 full" kind of guy...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom