So... UConn 56 - URI 49 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

So... UConn 56 - URI 49

How do feel after this game?

• Great! 56 points, what's not to like?

Votes: 7 3.8%
  • Good. We needed a win and now we have one.

Votes: 77 41.4%
  • Okay. This may be the only game we win.

Votes: 64 34.4%
  • Bad. We gave up 49 points. Crocker is officially on the clock

Votes: 29 15.6%
  • OMG QUIT FBS! We barely won a squeaker against a FCS team (again.)

Votes: 9 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Then Edsall takes over the defense and Crocker is water boy till seasons end, or at the very least Edsall takes a much more active role in teaching these kids some fundamentals. We had more missed tackles than points, I counted 6 on one play.
Why do you think that hasn't already happened?

Reaction Score
Chief has been saying we should blitz more since we can’t cover anyways. Randy effectively overruled Crocker the last series of downs and started blitzing from the edge. Number 22 Thomas had two huge plays.
Earlier Hahn blitzed up the middle but it was basically ineffective since he got swallowed up.

I am sorry but the DB’s have very poor technique on their coverage.

Too much detail to cover on this very busy weekend, but perhaps some day Chief will write a post regarding what ways the technique needs to be improved. Does anyone have interest in Chief doing that?

Does Chief have anything to say about the complete lack of team speed on defense? Particularly at LB?

For whatever it is worth...and I know it ain't much... I totally agree with the need to blitz more. DB's seem athletic, but totally unskilled.

That's the most this casual football fan can muster at this time.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is the glass half empty or have full?[/QUOTE

It's just 1/2. Young team. They will get a lot of experience but are they talented enough to get wins for us later? Not sure. And our QB will be done this year.

Reaction Score
crocker became a lame duck DC the second we stepped onto the field against UCF and came out with 4 down lineman.

@Excalibur has been saying this since last year - this is not Crocker’s defense - Edsall seems to have put his own spin on it based on what he sees for talent (and the buck stops w/ him as H.C.). Crocker may end up moving on but it will probably be because he will end up convincing himself it’s a lost cause.

Reaction Score
Edsall sees the same thing that Crocker does - you can only correct poor fundamentals so quickly. It’s why he goes on his rants. If kids have underlying talent/speed but have struggled to develop it it’s hard to turn that around in a summer of limited contact practices. Tackling rolling foam donuts only goes so far. The majority are freshman direct out of high school. It’s not an indictment of previous coaching - the game is faster and there are so many variables coming out of high school.
Medic, did you ever play football? Different coaches have different ways of teaching in practice, using different drills, and getting the kids to understand what they have to do. Edsall's definitely a more experienced teacher of the game than Crocker is. Yes, they are freshman and the defense had three critical injuries early on, but these kids do not know how to tackle.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Medic, did you ever play football? Different coaches have different ways of teaching in practice, using different drills, and getting the kids to understand what they have to do. Edsall's definitely a more experienced teacher of the game than Crocker is. Yes, they are freshman and the defense had three critical injuries early on, but these kids do not know how to tackle.
There is no “yes, they are freshmen, but...”

They are freshmen. Marginal at that. Full stop. You know what fixes that? 3 more years. We don’t have the depth necessary to compete and it will take years to fix.

Reaction Score
When we play UCF its for the rights to the Conflict trophy. Today, Dan Hurley was up for grabs.

Happy to hold off those pesky Rams in Hurley Bowl I.

Reaction Score

I did...

... and coaching can correct that technique/deficiency/short fall in a short summer? The vast majority of these kids should have been red-shirted to continue to refine their skills but that seems to have not been an option. It is what it is..

Reaction Score
@Excalibur has been saying this since last year - this is not Crocker’s defense - Edsall seems to have put his own spin on it based on what he sees for talent (and the buck stops w/ him as H.C.). Crocker may end up moving on but it will probably be because he will end up convincing himself it’s a lost cause.
Next you'll tell me Edsall has a habit of micromanaging his coordinators ;)

Reaction Score
There is no “yes, they are freshmen, but...”

They are freshmen. Marginal at that. Full stop. You know what fixes that? 3 more years. We don’t have the depth necessary to compete and it will take years to fix.
BS!!! All the hard hits today were made by marginal URI FCS players. Lol

Reaction Score

Through 3 games the tackling seems to be getting worse.

Reaction Score
Chief has been saying we should blitz more since we can’t cover anyways. Randy effectively overruled Crocker the last series of downs and started blitzing from the edge. Number 22 Thomas had two huge plays.
Earlier Hahn blitzed up the middle but it was basically ineffective since he got swallowed up.

I am sorry but the DB’s have very poor technique on their coverage.

Too much detail to cover on this very busy weekend, but perhaps some day Chief will write a post regarding what ways the technique needs to be improved. Does anyone have interest in Chief doing that?

If you think Edsall finally had enough with the defense and took over in the last possession you are deluting yourself. I know it fits your narrative but no.

After the game Edsall said the defensive package(with Beavers and Thomas as the ends) was installed this week in practice but they did not get a chance to use it during the game because they couldn’t get URI in a 3rd down... literally could not get them into a 3rd down to put those 2 rushing ends in.

Went on to say that in games going forward maybe they will need to use that package in more than just 3rd down to get more speed on the field(or something to that effect).

There is blame to go all around for the defense. To lay it all at the feet of Crocker is BS.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Absolutely no need for Chief00 to teach anyone on secondary techniques - quite simply these freshmen need to grow into 20 yos real quick - it's men vs boys
The missed tackle thing is team wide issue that has to be addressed immediately - that is the biggest issue
Crocker getting canned, blah blah bah, RE isn't canning him during the season because he really needs to stand by his desire of this spring - coaching continuity - but he can do more of the hands on D coaching and let Crocker work on something else
As far as QBDP is concerned - he is the biggest offensive threat this team has now and while he isn't the best passing QB - he is more than serviceable at this time
A win is a win - glad I could sit in my seat and watch it - it was an entertaining game
No disrespect Chief00 but concentrate your energy on the Coach Hurley and his recruiting because I feel that there may be some very disappointed people if many of his targets choose P5 schools. I am fingers crossed that doesn't happen but it's a vibe I've been feeling the past few weeks

Reaction Score
Yup, but the number of wide open receivers he never saw was incredible.
it's college football. outside of your top echelon of QB's, that's what you get. if everyone could do it, it wouldn't be the hardest position in football

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Bright side:

1) got the win
2) offense put up highest point total in probably 8 years.
3) defense performed slightly better in the later part of the game, with a sack to win it.

Yes, we're supposed to beat that team and letting up that many points to a 1-AA team is obnoxious. But you take the win, the good moments, and start to get ready for the fruit next Saturday...

Reaction Score
After the game Edsall said the defensive package(with Beavers and Thomas as the ends) was installed this week in practice but they did not get a chance to use it during the game because they couldn’t get URI in a 3rd down... literally could not get them into a 3rd down to put those 2 rushing ends in.

Went on to say that in games going forward maybe they will need to use that package in more than just 3rd down to get more speed on the field(or something to that effect).

So glad this is happening. The coaches are working hard on the pass rush. There is hope.

Reaction Score
Bright side:

1) got the win
2) offense put up highest point total in probably 8 years.
3) defense performed slightly better in the later part of the game, with a sack to win it.

Yes, we're supposed to beat that team and letting up that many points to a 1-AA team is obnoxious. But you take the win, the good moments, and start to get ready for the fruit next Saturday...
most points since 2010 is what they said on the broadcast

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom