Sio Moore predicts a great season | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Sio Moore predicts a great season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I don't expect it to happen either, but it has happened. Cornell Brockington had one big year and then fell off the map. I don't remember the specifics of what happened to Cornell, he ended up transferring because of lack of playing time I believe.

and the great Donald Brown was unseated by Dixon in 2007. So it has happened twice. If it can happen to Brown arguably the best running back we have had well then......

one can even say Dixon was unseated by Brown in 2008. Competition makes everyone better. Let the 4 man battle for running back begin.

What are you talking about?? Here are the stats:

2006 - D.B. (161 rushes, 896 yards, 5.6 avg)
2007 - D.B. (170 rushes, 821 yards, 4.8 avg) / A.D. (160 rushes, 809 yards, 5.1 avg)
2008 - D.B. (367 rushes, 2,083 yards, 5.7 avg) / A.D. (9 rushes, 37 yards, 4.1 avg)

Unless my numbers are wrong, Dixon did not "unseat" Brown in 2007. They ran for almost identical numbers, and Brown ran for numbers that were relatively consistent to what he did in 2006. Am I missing something here?

Reaction Score
What are you talking about?? Here are the stats:

2006 - D.B. (161 rushes, 896 yards, 5.6 avg)
2007 - D.B. (170 rushes, 821 yards, 4.8 avg) / A.D. (160 rushes, 809 yards, 5.1 avg)
2008 - D.B. (367 rushes, 2,083 yards, 5.7 avg) / A.D. (9 rushes, 37 yards, 4.1 avg)

Unless my numbers are wrong, Dixon did not "unseat" Brown in 2007. They ran for almost identical numbers, and Brown ran for numbers that were relatively consistent to what he did in 2006. Am I missing something here?

Yes. Brown's numbers in '06 were in the last few games after Terry Caulley got hurt. Brown's first two games as a starter he broke 200 yards each time. So he wasn't a "shared starter" in '06 -- he was the 2d half of the year starter who was a star. In '07, Brown started as the man, got every carry the first few games, and then got fewer and fewer carries as the season wore on. By the end of the regular season, he had gone from clearly being the "#1 back to clearly being the #2 back (although he reemerged in the Bowl in Charlotte). Brown and Dixon in '07 were never sharing the position the way Dixon and Todman did in '09.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yes. Brown's numbers in '06 were in the last few games after Terry Caulley got hurt. Brown's first two games as a starter he broke 200 yards each time. So he wasn't a "shared starter" in '06 -- he was the 2d half of the year starter who was a star. In '07, Brown started as the man, got every carry the first few games, and then got fewer and fewer carries as the season wore on. By the end of the regular season, he had gone from clearly being the "#1 back to clearly being the #2 back (although he reemerged in the Bowl in Charlotte). Brown and Dixon in '07 were never sharing the position the way Dixon and Todman did in '09.

The numbers tell a different story, Biz. Here is the game by game yardage for both runners in the order that the games were played:

Duke - DB 99, AD N/A
Maine - DB 87, AD N/A
Temple - DB 54, AD 129
Pitt - DB 53, AD 20
Akron - DB 65, AD 116
UVA - DB N/A, AD 63
'Ville - DB 8, AD 115
USF - DB 1, AD 167
Rutgers - DB 154, AD 35
Cincy - DB 0, AD 35
Cuse - DB 99, AD 62
WVU - DB 129, AD 67
WF (bowl) - DB 72, AD 24

So unless you are referring only to the three game period of UVA / Ville / USF as the point where Donald Brown was "unseated", the numbers don't support your story. He came right back and ripped Rutgers for 154 after that three game period, and was the leading rusher for our team 3 out of the following 4 games after that. Again.....am I missing something?

Addendum: I pulled the stats from the UConn media guide, listed here;

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MFootball/2009/Media Guide/5/Recaps.pdf

Reaction Score
The numbers tell a different story, Biz. Here is the game by game yardage for both runners in the order that the games were played:

Duke - DB 99, AD N/A
Maine - DB 87, AD N/A
Temple - DB 54, AD 129
Pitt - DB 53, AD 20
Akron - DB 65, AD 116
UVA - DB N/A, AD 63
'Ville - DB 8, AD 115
USF - DB 1, AD 167
Rutgers - DB 154, AD 35
Cincy - DB 0, AD 35
Cuse - DB 99, AD 62
WVU - DB 129, AD 67
WF (bowl) - DB 72, AD 24

So unless you are referring only to the three game period of UVA / Ville / USF as the point where Donald Brown was "unseated", the numbers don't support your story. He came right back and ripped Rutgers for 154 after that three game period, and was the leading rusher for our team 3 out of the following 4 games after that. Again.....am I missing something?

I guess I am remembering the three game stretch and didn't remember the period between then and the bowl. Thank you for the legwork.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I guess I am remembering the three game stretch and didn't remember the period between then and the bowl. Thank you for the legwork.

No worries. I'm not even sure that it's all that important if we go back to the overall discussion, which is that I would be shocked if McCombs is supplanted by any of our young running backs. And if he is, it must mean that they are great!

Reaction Score
Dude, learn the definition of context and read the post by BL I was responding to. I was responding to BL's rediculous assertion that the 2011 team was "roughly as talented" as the 2010 team. It clearly was not and the drop off from Todman to McCombs is the strongest example of that (as your stats show) so I used it in rebuttal to BL. McCombs was a redshirt freshmen last year of course he wasn't as talented as Todman. Somehow BL thinks he "roughly" was.

McCombs was solid last year and better then expected, but he needs to improve alot to ever be held in the same regard as Todman, Brown, Cauley and even Dixon. Thats not a knock just a fact. Not only could he not break a tackle in 2011 but he could not take a long run to the house without getting gassed and falling over himself. I look forward to see him do it in 2012, 2013 and 2014. I'll be rooting for him just like you.

Why is it that everyone gets to take shots at McEntee for his shortcomings but if you point out some facts about McCombs game everyone gets riled up?

If I tell you that we're going have a starting RB that's 5'8", 166LBS freshman, with no breakaway speed, who can't break a single tackle.
And a QB with a average arm, that cringes under pressure, with no scrambling ability, who will be throwing to receivers who have trouble catching the ball, but has a great youtube video.
And these guys are going to be playing behind an offensive line that has problems pass blocking, and generally is not comfortable with the new run blocking scheme.
And this offense is going to be totally disrepected by every defense in the country, by lining up 10 guys in the box and blitzing off the corners.

BUT!, that 5'8" 166LB back would carry the ball 275 times and run for OVER 1,000yds and be ALL BIGEAST, and ALL AMERICAN.

What would you say?

Reaction Score
If I tell you that we're going have a starting RB that's 5'8", 166LBS freshman, with no breakaway speed, who can't break a single tackle.
And a QB with a average arm, that cringes under pressure, with no scrambling ability, who will be throwing to receivers who have trouble catching the ball, but has a great youtube video.
And these guys are going to be playing behind an offensive line that has problems pass blocking, and generally is not comfortable with the new run blocking scheme.
And this offense is going to be totally disrepected by every defense in the country, by lining up 10 guys in the box and blitzing off the corners.

BUT!, that 5'8" 166LB back would carry the ball 275 times and run for OVER 1,000yds and be ALL BIGEAST, and ALL AMERICAN.

What would you say?

That he'll be passed over because the backup is always better.

Reaction Score

You actually just made the point I was trying to make to BL about the talent level fall off from 2010 to 2011. Thanks for the support!

BTW - you just trashed a lot of players there, most of the offense and yet Huskyfandan "likes" your e-mail. You just criticized the offense in a worse way then I was critical of McCombs yesterday. For some reason McCombs is untouchable on this board. I guess he has a lot of friends or people just like to root for little guys. Who is going to come to the defense of McEntee or the O-line or the receivers?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
For some reason McCombs is untouchable on this board. I guess he has a lot of friends

Yes, he does. Those friends include most media outlets that have him first or second team All Big East and co-favorite to be the Big East top rusher this year. I think that is why people are starting to come down a little hard on your criticism. If every college analyst in the country feels good about McCombs and his abilities, why don't you??

Just in case you don't believe me, here is Phil Steele's All Big East (notice who is on the first team):

http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012PreseasonHonors/All-BigEast.pdf

Reaction Score
Yes, he does. Those friends include most media outlets that have him first or second team All Big East and co-favorite to be the Big East top rusher this year. I think that is why people are starting to come down a little hard on your criticism. If every college analyst in the country feels good about McCombs and his abilities, why don't you??

Just in case you don't believe me, here is Phil Steele's All Big East (notice who is on the first team):

http://www.philsteele.com/Pdf/2012PreseasonHonors/All-BigEast.pdf

LOL. I love McCombs! I have his poster on my wall and wear his jersey everyday. Please accept me into the McCombs fan club! I will never say anything bad about him again.

Reaction Score
You actually just made the point I was trying to make to BL about the talent level fall off from 2010 to 2011. Thanks for the support!

BTW - you just trashed a lot of players there, most of the offense and yet Huskyfandan "likes" your e-mail. You just criticized the offense in a worse way then I was critical of McCombs yesterday. For some reason McCombs is untouchable on this board. I guess he has a lot of friends or people just like to root for little guys. Who is going to come to the defense of McEntee or the O-line or the receivers?
Is it me?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
LOL. I love McCombs! I have his poster on my wall and wear his jersey everyday. Please accept me into the McCombs fan club! I will never say anything bad about him again.

Wait until you learn the secret handshake!! It's sweet... ;)

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I'll defend this receiver:

That was one of the most ridiculously good plays I have ever seen by a wide receiver. Ever. Still puts a smile on my face...

Reaction Score
Is it me?
No. He's being childish and deflecting. McCombs is as yet far from the best back we've had. But all things considered, he had an incredible year, and to basically "expect" that he'll be replaced before year's end is a bit outrageous. Sure it could happen, but unlike in past years we haven't seen anything from the backups to expect that to happen. It would be, in any reasonable estimation, shocking.

But he can't defend that because the guys who would replace him haven't yet done a single thing to prove that's a possibility, nevermind a likelihood. So instead he deflects and plays the victim. Kind of sad to watch.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Defense will be stronger and not fold down the stretch like they did last year. Expect 4 full quarters from them. Don Brown won't have egg on his face in year 2. The offensive line will determine how this season goes though. If they can open holes for McCombs & Co, plus give Whitmer time to get the ball down the field we'll be just fine. If they are stellar, 10-2, 11-1 and a nice bowl win. If not, well hopefully the D can win a couple unexpected ones for us and keep us close to bowl eligible. I like the fact that Deleon is going to concentrate on the O-line. Also folks, you got to have faith in the coaching staff. They came into this real late in the process last year and were left with whatever Edsall had scraped together. Which, by the way, wasn't a whole hell of a lot especially at the most crucial offensive position...QB. Toddman left a year early. That could have made a huge difference. Frey transferred out. That hurt. The coaches that came in have some serious experience and have seen it all and then some. The whole team(including the remaining assistant coaches) have had a year to digest the new system and I believe a much improved product will take the field.

As another poster stated, the Maryland and NC ST games will give us an early inclination on how this season may end up. If UMass scores I'll be disappointed.

Side note- I wouldn't be completely surprised to see McCombs as the #2 back by season end unless he miraculously adds bulk so that he doesn't get bounced around like a pinball like last year.

Improving our TOP on offense will go a long way toward improving the defense at the close of games. I think this will be a special year for us.

Reaction Score
That was one of the most ridiculously good plays I have ever seen by a wide receiver. Ever. Still puts a smile on my face...

From our angle we couldn't even see Kashif. We just saw it was a touchdown. IIRC, no replay at the stadium. It wans't until later that night I saw the catch. Still unbelievable. That really set the tone for the day. One of the most enjoyable UConn games ever.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Improving our TOP on offense will go a long way toward improving the defense at the close of games. I think this will be a special year for us.

yes! our offense just making drives longer and getting better field position will help the D a lot. so many times last year jmac got pressure and went to a knee on a 3rd down and lost another 5 to 10 yards, it just hurt watching.

Reaction Score
From our angle we couldn't even see Kashif. We just saw it was a touchdown. IIRC, no replay at the stadium. It wans't until later that night I saw the catch. Still unbelievable. That really set the tone for the day. One of the most enjoyable UConn games ever.
===============
this game is a top 5 all-time Uconn game for me. We OWNED them from start to Finnish! The score did not tell the story in this game at all, as our boys demoralized USC with an outstanding effort on both sides of the ball, and they were void of any life during that game!

Reaction Score
No. He's being childish and deflecting. McCombs is as yet far from the best back we've had. But all things considered, he had an incredible year, and to basically "expect" that he'll be replaced before year's end is a bit outrageous. Sure it could happen, but unlike in past years we haven't seen anything from the backups to expect that to happen. It would be, in any reasonable estimation, shocking.

But he can't defend that because the guys who would replace him haven't yet done a single thing to prove that's a possibility, nevermind a likelihood. So instead he deflects and plays the victim. Kind of sad to watch.

You can't help misquoting people can you WingNut? I think you must have a reading disability because you did this numerous times last fall. Please show me where I said I "expect" McCombs to be replaced before season's end. You can't find it because I didn't write it. As a general rule I try to never engage you on this board because you are it's most boorish poster but when you misquote me as you call me out I can't help but respond.

Reaction Score

Duke - DB 99, AD N/A
Maine - DB 87, AD N/A
Temple - DB 54, AD 129
Pitt - DB 53, AD 20
Akron - DB 65, AD 116
UVA - DB N/A, AD 63
'Ville - DB 8, AD 115
USF - DB 1, AD 167
Rutgers - DB 154, AD 35
Cincy - DB 0, AD 35
Cuse - DB 99, AD 62
WVU - DB 129, AD 67
WF (bowl) - DB 72, AD 24

Addendum: I pulled the stats from the UConn media guide, listed here;

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MFootball/2009/Media Guide/5/Recaps.pdf

Brown came into the season as the clear starter. Dixon was not available in the first two games. Brown was clearly not as effective early on and as soon as Dixon was able to play, he had 8 more carries than Brown vs. Temple. They then split carries (7 and 12 for AD vs. 18 and 11 for DB) before a five game stretch where Dixon was clearly the featured back, having 90 carries to Brown's 33 during that stretch, though Brown did not play vs. UVA). Dixon was also starting those games, he was a starter in 8 of 11 games he played in. So it's a more than reasonable interpretation to say that Brown was "unseated".

Reaction Score
Signature wins:
@ Notre Dame
@, vs Baylor (with RG3)
vs South Carolina (Papa John's Bowl)

Not too bad. We need to beat NC State and Maryland. UNC's two wins against us in 2008 and 2009 are vacated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom