Sio Moore predicts a great season | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sio Moore predicts a great season

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Brown came into the season as the clear starter. Dixon was not available in the first two games. Brown was clearly not as effective early on and as soon as Dixon was able to play, he had 8 more carries than Brown vs. Temple. They then split carries (7 and 12 for AD vs. 18 and 11 for DB) before a five game stretch where Dixon was clearly the featured back, having 90 carries to Brown's 33 during that stretch, though Brown did not play vs. UVA). Dixon was also starting those games, he was a starter in 8 of 11 games he played in. So it's a more than reasonable interpretation to say that Brown was "unseated".

So how do you explain the numbers for the last five games of the season? It's okay, you don't have to, because that discussion has run it's course anyway. It has been "unseated"...

Reaction Score
Signature wins:
@ Notre Dame
@, vs Baylor (with RG3)
vs South Carolina (Papa John's Bowl)

Not too bad. We need to beat NC State and Maryland. UNC's two wins against us in 2008 and 2009 are vacated.
======================================
Butchy - Those are great wins but dont forget, we beat RGIII not Once but Twice!

This game was awesome, great comeback win vs a B12 team!!!

Reaction Score
So how do you explain the numbers for the last five games of the season? It's okay, you don't have to, because that discussion has run it's course anyway. It has been "unseated"...

So Brown lost his starting job mid season, and he wasn't unseated? Whether he got it back later is irrelevant. He was the starter going into the year, then he wasn't. Pretty sure that means he was "unseated". Now take a seat, please.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So Brown lost his starting job mid season, and he wasn't unseated? Whether he got it back later is irrelevant. He was the starter going into the year, then he wasn't. Pretty sure that means he was "unseated". Now take a seat, please.

Jesus, dude. First, try to comprehend what was being discussed. Once you do that, you can talk intelligently about the subject matter. The point in question was whether McCombs was likely to get "unseated" by a different running back (someone even mentioned to use him as a "third down back"). Then, it was brought up that the best example of someone losing his starter role was Donald Brown, who had "lost" his starter spot to Andre Dixon. This was just not true. They shared the role all year long, as evidenced by the numbers, which you have failed to address (i.e., the last five friggin' games!).

If you want to say that he "lost" his running role for three games out of a thirteen game season (as if that would even be relevant to the original McCombs discussion), then go right ahead. But don't give me any crap about an idea that someone didn't share the running responsibility after having nearly identical running numbers to his counterpart (and nearly identical carries and yards to his own previous year of running), which was the original point. Got it, now? So I'll remain standing if you don't mind...

Reaction Score
Jesus, dude. First, try to comprehend what was being discussed. Once you do that, you can talk intelligently about the subject matter. The point in question was whether McCombs was likely to get "unseated" by a different running back (someone even mentioned to use him as a "third down back"). Then, it was brought up that the best example of someone losing his starter role was Donald Brown, who had "lost" his starter spot to Andre Dixon. This was just not true. They shared the role all year long, as evidenced by the numbers, which you have failed to address (i.e., the last five friggin' games!).

If you want to say that he "lost" his running role for three games out of a thirteen game season (as if that would even be relevant to the original McCombs discussion), then go right ahead. But don't give me any crap about an idea that someone didn't share the running responsibility after having nearly identical running numbers to his counterpart (and nearly identical carries and yards to his own previous year of running), which was the original point. Got it, now? So I'll remain standing if you don't mind...

UCONNDan97 I generally like your posts. You are a good poster and fan. Seriously did you watch the 2007 season? You keep bringing up stats as if you were not a fan back then and don't remember what happened. To those of us who remember that season we know that Brown lost his job to Dixon during the season. How many people need to tell you this before you believe it? BL is one of the most respected posters in the forum, you think he is wrong?

and please no more stats, go by memory, and if you don't remember the season respect the opinion of those who do.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
UCONNDan97 I generally like your posts. You are a good poster and fan. Seriously did you watch the 2007 season? You keep bringing up stats as if you were not a fan back then and don't remember what happened. To those of us who remember that season we know that Brown lost his job to Dixon during the season. How many people need to tell you this before you believe it? BL is one of the most respected posters in the forum, you think he is wrong?

No. I didn't watch any of it. I suffer from severe Alzheimers and I'm not even sure what board I'm on anymore. OF COURSE I watched the season! And you are bringing up BL like he didn't already rescind his comment and agree with me (did you all miss his comment where he did that? I can link it for you if you so desire). So really, when you say "how many people need to tell you", you're really just referring to you and Excalibur at this point. You realize that, don't you?

And it's funny as hell that nobody has mentioned the fact that Brown was suffering from injuries that year (like Caulley did the year before that), and NOBODY seems to remember that out of Donald Brown and Andre Dixon, only one of them was selected as a post-season First Team Big East member (I'll give you a guess as to which one it was). DID YOU WATCH THE SEASON??

I loved Andre Dixon, and I'm not trying to dog him. He finished as a Second Team All Big East that year, and he had a great UConn career. But let's not get crazy about it, and let's not pretend that this has anything at all to do with McCombs, okay?

Reaction Score
Butchy - Those are great wins but dont forget, we beat RGIII not Once but Twice!

Enjoyed those highligts a lot. Few things about that game. Hats off to the B12 refs in that game, because they did everything they could to keep Baylor in that game. I'm never a ref conspiracy type of guy, but that was the biggest job I have seen in a long time.

Second, physcially, that was no match. Baylor limped out of the Rent. Loved it when Butler rang up RGIII and drew a flag (B12 version of hard nosed football I guess). Deleston almost killed that receiver and sent the message that needed to be sent.

Finally, that tape reminded me what a terrific athlete Lorenzen was for us. May not have been the best passer in the world, but he was a big guy and he could move.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Just in case you think I'm making it up that Donald Brown was injured that year (which I happened to watch):

http://articles.courant.com/2007-11...lorida-uconn-coach-randy-edsall-bcs-standings

Oh, by the way, notice that Brown injured his ankle during the Akron game. When was the first game again that Dixon's numbers began to surpass Brown's that season? Oh yeah! Right... :eek:

Are you sure Donald Brown was selected first team Big East in 2007? This is from Wikipedia. Andre Dixon was second team big east in 2007.

Donald Brown:
Career highlights and awards

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Are you sure Donald Brown was selected first team Big East in 2007? This is from Wikipedia. Andre Dixon was second team big east in 2007.

Donald Brown:
Career highlights and awards

No, you're right on that one. I got the '08 honor mixed up with the '07. That's my bad.

I stand behind everything else I said, since everything else I've said should have linked articles to it.

Reaction Score
No, you're right on that one. I got the '08 honor mixed up with the '07. That's my bad.

I stand behind everything else I said, since everything else I've said should have linked articles to it.

But it is interesting that Andre Dixon was second team All Big East and Brown was not. Hmmmm.

I stand by everything I said too, and now we should let this die.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Finally, that tape reminded me what a terrific athlete Lorenzen was for us. May not have been the best passer in the world, but he was a big guy and he could move.
If he never hurt his throwing hand his senior year, people would probably remember how good he actually was (especially compared to other QBs since Dan O)

Reaction Score

I did mention Baylor twice. It is safe to say we DO have a tradition at defense. And maybe o-line and RBs.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But it is interesting that Andre Dixon was second team All Big East and Brown was not. Hmmmm. I stand by everything I said too, and now we should let this die.

He was second team All Big East because he had almost 300 yards catching his patented screen play out of the backfield:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MFootball/2009/Media Guide/5/Stats.pdf

And again, Donald Brown injured for an important stretch where Andre Dixon "unseated" him. And again, it has nothing to do with McCombs situation.....and now we should let this die. :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
He was second team All Big East because he had almost 300 yards catching his patented screen play out of the backfield:

http://www.uconnhuskies.com/datadump/MFootball/2009/Media Guide/5/Stats.pdf

And again, Donald Brown injured for an important stretch where Andre Dixon "unseated" him. And again, it has nothing to do with McCombs situation.....and now we should let this die. :rolleyes:

Correct, McCombs is under no threat to lose his job. Those other guys vying for it have no chance.
:confused:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Whitmer having a solid season as QB with the WRs would make this season memorable.

I don't know if it's because of all of the off-season crazy, or the fact that he and others (i.e., Ryan Wirth) had such a good Spring Game, but I am extremely excited about this year's prospects! Couple that with the fact that all the pundits are putting us in the underdog role (again) and I think we are primed for a very big year! :)

Reaction Score
I don't know if it's because of all of the off-season crazy, or the fact that he and others (i.e., Ryan Wirth) had such a good Spring Game, but I am extremely excited about this year's prospects! Couple that with the fact that all the pundits are putting us in the underdog role (again) and I think we are primed for a very big year! :)
I agree with you in that we do have a solid potential this season. Last season, we had a QB who's helmet looked huge on his head. If we had someone like Whitmer at QB, we could have won at least 2 or 3 more games.

pj

Reaction Score
Bryce McNeal has switched to Louisville, so it will have to be Shakim Phillips and Mike Smith holding up the receiving duties.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Bryce McNeal has switched to Louisville, so it will have to be Shakim Phillips and Mike Smith holding up the receiving duties.

Yeah, I just read that on the other thread. Apparently there is a story behind it which makes McNeal "lol" via Twitter......I hate Twitter...

Reaction Score

I haven't seen confirmation other than a Twitter convo and picture of the Ville Locker room - anyone see something more definitive?

Reaction Score
Does our one win vs WVU count as a signature win? I can't find anything about McNeal going to Louisville.

Reaction Score
I agree, this may just be someone trying to connect dots, we'll have to wait for Dez or HuskyDan to confirm, won't sweat it until it is confirmed.

Reaction Score
So whom do you see starting?
I'm hoping that "by the end of the season" someone else emerges who can break tackles and drag a defender or two enough for the first down. Maybe Delorenzo can emerge. Maybe the kid out of PA, Williams. He's up around 6' and 200-210 lbs. I'm sure McCombs will do a fine job this year but he's listed at 5'8" and 166lbs(that can't be right). Hopefully he'll put on 20 lbs. My point was that I'd like it to be more than just McCombs back there. Hippolite! What's his story? Is he ready to rumble or what? Who is this guy Martin Tartaglino?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom