Sierra Calhoun to Duke | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm on this board to talk women's basketball. I'm here to discuss what I feel. If some of you want to take verbal shots at me that's fine and dandy. I seemed to have hit a nerve in some. I don't pull for any one team and I don't have an allegiance to any one team. I am a fan and student of the game. I'm not on this board to make friends or agree to make everyone happy. I'm here to provide all of you with INFORMATION. No harm, no foul. If I look like a Troll then so be it. I've been called worse. If some of you don't believe the conference shakeup won't effect Uconn recruiting then you are in denial. All I am saying is that Geno will have to turn up the heat in recruiting because the conference they are in is just plain awful. Players want to play in the ACC. Uconn wanted badly to get into the ACC without a doubt. If I were Uconn, I would think about going independant. While the non conference schedule will be tough, the conference schedule will be utterly ridiculous and putrid.

The conference may be just awful but so was the Big East. Louisville was a surprise last year, and they are still in our conference this year. Next year they lose Schimmel and probably won't be as good when they go into the ACC. Outside of Notre Dame, which will also be weaker this year with the loss of Diggins, there really were no great teams other than UConn in the Big East last year. Most BE teams didn't make it beyond one game in the NCAA tourney.

As for us joining the ACC, I sincerely hope that never happens. I wouldn't mind the B1G, and I am quite happy with the AAC, but the ACC, NEVER! My fear is that they will change their mind,and the UConn administration will come running like a little puppy dog.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nonetheless they were able to win championships, Meyers.
Well yea. We had 4 Srs and the best women's player ever as the starting 5. 4 of them went on to become Olympians. Damn straight they won a championship.

For at least three more years we have good silled height.
1 year with good depth, 1 year with a little depth...maybe, and the 3rd year we have 2 players over 6-0. 2. For 2 positions. We're not good for 3 years.

that means we have this next class of 2014 and then 2015 to bring in new height. Do I like the present situation, no. Does it make me panic, not at all.
And that is what I am saying. As of now we have not brought in any height in the 2014 or 2105 class. Such that losing Belton could hurt. Certainly doesn't help.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The conference may be just awful but so was the Big East.
The Big Ease was not near as bad as the AAC is going to be this year, and then it will be even worse next year.

Next year they lose Schimmel and probably won't be as good when they go into the ACC. Outside of Notre Dame, which will also be weaker this year with the loss of Diggins, there really were no great teams other than UConn in the Big East last year.
And without ND, and then without Louisville and Rutgers next year, the AAC is left with ............????? Exactly!.

Most BE teams didn't make it beyond one game in the NCAA tourney.
And most of the AAC won't even make the tourney.

As for us joining the ACC, I sincerely hope that never happens. I wouldn't mind the B1G, and I am quite happy with the AAC, but the ACC, NEVER! My fear is that they will change their mind,and the UConn administration will come running like a little puppy dog.
Well I would prefer the B1G, but I'd take the ACC in a heartbeat.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well yea. We had 4 Srs and the best women's player ever as the starting 5. 4 of them went on to become Olympians. Damn straight they won a championship.

And we still do have an abundance of the best for two more years.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Let's seem them land Wilson then we can talk. My sources in South Carolina tell me she's not leaving the South. This is insider info that I have.

Uconn also needs to land Asia Durr. Word is she may stay south.

No matter how good your sources are, if A'ja Wilson and Asia Durr haven't even made up their minds yet, there is no way that Flynn or anyone else knows where they will end up.

H

Huskyfan23

My sources in South Carolina tell me she's not leaving the South. This is insider info that I have.
You know that imaginary friends and stuffed animals are NOT considered reliable sources for "inside info".

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I think everyone should back off of hoopsking....after all we are all looking for a little truth. Sometimes the truth isn't what we like to hear. So, instead of running off a good source of information...why not accept his intel and analyze it with everything that we know so we can all come up with a more accurate picture of what is really going on. No one is perfect and there is no one saying that hoopsking is perfect...that would also include him not be perfectly wrong as well. He seems like a guy who knows his basketball...let's just add his observations to the collective and use his info to come up with a consensus opinion...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Looks like Immediate Playing time was important for Sierra Link Geno would never promise a player a starting position to get a recruit. You have to earn it. IMHO it makes no sense for Sierra to be the starting PG for Duke. Sierra is not a PG

In regards to Hoopsking: Knowledgeable people who follow recruiting have consistently said it will be difficult to get A'ja Wilson out of the south. South Carolina has been the rumored leader for a while now and Dawn Staley is an effective recruiter. It would be easy to sell A'ja that she'll be the difference maker and be the player that finally takes South Carolina to the promise land. Geno has plenty to offer as well and a proven track record to win National Championships. At South Carolina A'ja will be the player that gets the headlines/attention and maybe win a National Championship if the right pieces are added. At UConn A'ja will be part of a team with good/great players sharing the accolades/attention and a higher probability of winning a National Championship. Who knows which direction A'ja will take. It could end up like it has with others, proximity to home may end up as the deciding factor. Time will tell.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
But you had 4 players who could play in the post. 4 players who went on to have WNBA careers. And that was 3 SRs and a R/S FR. (and you had Bird and Taurasi) - not really comparable (as yet).

Yes and as many noted on here throughout that time, it hurt UCONN to be that short in the post. Not a situation one would look to get into again if possible.
Follow me on twitter @Hoopsking1968 You will all then know who I am. I'm not trying to establish any credibility on the board. I'm just here to provide my opinions. Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
But it does mean you don't know how to say it without continuously demonstrating a supercilious attitude that will result in many people setting you on "ignore".

Like it or not, know-it-alls are poorly tolerated in any moderately erudite assemblage.

And this is one.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Follow me on twitter @Hoopsking1968 You will all then know who I am. I'm not trying to establish any credibility on the board. I'm just here to provide my opinions. Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.
No, thanks. I prefer to get my info first hand and unfiltered.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well, 1) it's Stanford. 2) the Pac-12 is better, by a good margin than the AAC.

I agree with the rest of your post though.
The Pac 10 is better now especially since the deadwood in the coaching ranks was tossed. But for years, the Pac 10 was the weakest of the so-called power conferences and yet Stanford pulled in great recruits. I know about the academics, but UConn is hardly a bad school.

I do not expect UConn to be in the AAC forever, either.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The Pac 10 is better now especially since the deadwood in the coaching ranks was tossed. But for years, the Pac 10 was the weakest of the so-called power conferences and yet Stanford pulled in great recruits. I know about the academics, but UConn is hardly a bad school.

I do not expect UConn to be in the AAC forever, either.
Nan, a large part of that was that Stanford largely had the west coast to itself for recruiting for dominant players who didn't want to cross the Rockies.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Maya, Kelly, Kalana Greene, KML are all 6' or less players who played a lot of time at the 4 on championship teams. The 2002 team did not have a starter above 6'2".

Can't let that one go by without mentioning our best undersized PF, even though there was no championship in the years she played that position -- 5' 10" Barbara Turner.

And I'm not sure I believe she was really that tall.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Nan, a large part of that was that Stanford largely had the west coast to itself for recruiting for dominant players who didn't want to cross the Rockies.
And there are plenty of players in California.

Reaction Score
1 year with good depth, 1 year with a little depth...maybe, and the 3rd year we have 2 players over 6-0. 2. For 2 positions. We're not good for 3 years.
True ... but, this is in the context of the follwing:
1. In years 1 and 2, we will have as much talent as any team in wcbb history
2. The talent we have "on the books" for year 3 is better than anyone else's. ND, UNC and Duke would be the other possiblities, but we have Breanna and they don't.
3. For all 3 years we have great depth outside of the post.

It's just awfully hard not to feel good about the next 3 years. Other programs would kill to have our problems.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
True ... but, this is in the context of the follwing:
1. In years 1 and 2, we will have as much talent as any team in wcbb history
2. The talent we have "on the books" for year 3 is better than anyone else's. ND, UNC and Duke would be the other possiblities, but we have Breanna and they don't.
3. For all 3 years we have great depth outside of the post.

It's just awfully hard not to feel good about the next 3 years. Other programs would kill to have our problems.
All good points. I'm just looking for some recruits in 2014 and 2015 for the post positions (or at least some height). And as of now, we don't have any. By comparison, Duke in year 3 will have 9 players over 6-0, and UCONN will only have 7 players total. That just make me a bit cautious.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I thought that was of the number of times you've gotten your butt spanked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom