Sierra Calhoun to Duke | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Sierra Calhoun to Duke

Status
Not open for further replies.

wes33

Revels in Blue Devils
Reaction Score
I guess we can ignore the coming wave of articles questioning whether UConn is bad for WCBB, lol. Not UConn Geno

H

Huskyfan23

I'm going to be on this board like a rash lol. I'm not going anywhere. I may look like a troll, but I can roll with the best. Uconn is in trouble in years to come if they don't find a way to attract higher caliber recruits going forward. The conference affiliation is definitely a turnoff to recruits. Geno needs to rethink his recruiting strategy in order to maintain a strangle hold on college basketball supremacy.
They have the #2 recruiting class in the country right now and if Wilson signs they will be the #1 class. Tell me what "higher caliber recruit" they need. It is fine to have a disagreeing opinion on topics when you back them up with these little things called FACTS but when you just spew nonsense with nothing whatsoever backing it up you look like a TROLL.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I'm going to be on this board like a rash lol. I'm not going anywhere. I may look like a troll, but I can roll with the best. Uconn is in trouble in years to come if they don't find a way to attract higher caliber recruits going forward. The conference affiliation is definitely a turnoff to recruits. Geno needs to rethink his recruiting strategy in order to maintain a strangle hold on college basketball supremacy.

Awesome. It's been boring here lately.

So, who do you root for? Your favorite player? Favorite color?

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
Hoopsking said: " I'm going to be on this board like a rash, lol"

Congrats, first goal achieved....I dealt with a child's diaper issue earlier today and immediately thought of you...:p

Reaction Score
Debby downer. We still have two number one players of the year coming out of High School on the team. We are not worried.
I seem to recall that the Big East was a pretty sad conference with UConn and everyone else but over time, UConn's influence contributed to other conference schools upping the anti to improve their programs. And that they did. Why is it hard to believe that in a matter of a few years some of these new schools will in fact start improving their programs using games against UConn as a recruitment incentive as did Jim Calhoun when he first came to the Huskies. He told kids that they would have a chance to play against the best (St. Johns, Syracuse, Georgetown) and in no time we had appreciably more talented kids coming into our program. To hear that UConn hasn't been able to recruit any top players sounds like crap we've heard a few years back before getting KML and Breanna, amongst others. With the John Wooden of women's college basketball as our head coach and a remarkable coaching staff here topped off by our soon to be state of the art practice facility, why wouldn't anyone want to come here??????? We'll still be playing one of the top 5 schedules in the country. Just some more silly dribble from an outsider.

Reaction Score
We'll take it for granted that you look like a troll. We already know you contribute like a troll! You say you can roll with the best of the trolls???? Mighty impressive! Some wonderful attributes. It'd sure be nice if you forgot where this site was so you can pollute someone else's waters.

Reaction Score
Just was looking at some articles on Gabby Green, she said she was looking for a family atmosphere. She also said she was going to talk to her college teammates for advice, we know she liked the 3 amigo's, perchance Geno was looking at more then 1 recruit. Her club team is Cal Storm Team Taurasi. She blew up this past year, and wouldn't be the first California Girl at UConn.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Just was looking at some articles on Gabby Green, she said she was looking for a family atmosphere. She also said she was going to talk to her college teammates for advice, we know she liked the 3 amigo's, perchance Geno was looking at more then 1 recruit. Her club team is Cal Storm Team Taurasi. She blew up this past year, and wouldn't be the first California Girl at UConn.
Gabby looks great and she IS a tall guard, but what UConn really needs right now are more 4's or 5's. Back in the spring, I remember one of the hoard suggesting that Geno wanted 2 more guards and 2 bigs (this was after Ekmark had verballed but before Edwards and Williams committed.) Well, Geno got the 2 more guards so now he needs the bigs. I cannot imagine Geno saying no to Green, but I would think he would be spending more effort pursuing Wilson and Westbeld and perhaps some other big of which we are unaware. I would think that Wilson will give UConn a hard look, but I wouldn't consider her a sure thing (cue The Sure Thing music here, Meyers). While I doubt McCallie would still pursue Westbeld (given the glut of 4's and 5's she currently has recruited), Westbeld is no sure bet either, with Ohio State and Notre Dame still remaining on her 'final four' list. Thus Geno may be looking at other bigs.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Fightin Choke you make some very good points. I have heard a lot of things from a lot of people. I remain confident that some of the kids we thought would come to UConn didn't and went elsewhere is because Geno knows something we don't know and that just may be a couple of bigs.

Reaction Score
Gabby looks great and she IS a tall guard, but what UConn really needs right now are more 4's or 5's. Back in the spring, I remember one of the hoard suggesting that Geno wanted 2 more guards and 2 bigs (this was after Ekmark had verballed but before Edwards and Williams committed.) Well, Geno got the 2 more guards so now he needs the bigs. I cannot imagine Geno saying no to Green, but I would think he would be spending more effort pursuing Wilson and Westbeld and perhaps some other big of which we are unaware. I would think that Wilson will give UConn a hard look, but I wouldn't consider her a sure thing (cue The Sure Thing music here, Meyers). While I doubt McCallie would still pursue Westbeld (given the glut of 4's and 5's she currently has recruited), Westbeld is no sure bet either, with Ohio State and Notre Dame still remaining on her 'final four' list. Thus Geno may be looking at other bigs.
I agree Geno would take Green, and A'ja to me would be a perfect fit for the future huskies. Green appears to be a late growing player who just might end up at 6-3, which wouldn't be a reach, she is already 6-1, doesn't have a lot of weight, which could be because of growth spurt. KML played the 4 a lot last year, especially when Stewie wasn't playing well, and she's only 6-0. Once Gabby starts to fill out she will be a different player, but still possess the guard skills. The best players can play multiple positions, and cause opponents to adapt to them.

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
I agree Geno would take Green, and A'ja to me would be a perfect fit for the future huskies. Green appears to be a late growing player who just might end up at 6-3, which wouldn't be a reach, she is already 6-1, doesn't have a lot of weight, which could be because of growth spurt. KML played the 4 a lot last year, especially when Stewie wasn't playing well, and she's only 6-0. Once Gabby starts to fill out she will be a different player, but still possess the guard skills. The best players can play multiple positions, and cause opponents to adapt to them.
A'ja would be a good fit for any team in the nation.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Uconn is in trouble in years to come if they don't find a way to attract higher caliber recruits going forward. The conference affiliation is definitely a turnoff to recruits.
Being in the Pac 10 hasn't hurt Stanford's recruiting.

As for UConn's recruiting, it 1) is on TV a lot more than just about any other program, including a lot of men's teams, 2) will give a girl a serious opportunity to make a Final Four, if not a championship, and (hold onto your hat) 3) has Geno, Hall of Fame coach, coach of the gold medal winning Olympic team, and coach of an 8 time NCAA champion witha dozen former players not just playing in the WNBA, but starring it it. Only Pat Summit can say the same and she's retired. Geno's going to be able to manage just fine, thanks.

Going independent would be beyond lunacy. UConn needs football's cut of the league's multi-million dollar TV contract in order to be profitable. ND can be independent because even when It sucked on the football field, it still drew millions of eyeballs to the TV set and NBC was willing to pay for that. UConn can only dream of having that kind of power. The AAC is bad, but not nearly as disasterous as going independent.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Amen, HuskyNan...I was thinking the same thing regarding Stanford's recruiting and all the positives a kid can get while playing for Geno and staff at UConn. All this talk about UConn's recruiting and the demise of this great basketball program are way premature if you ask me. We are on the cusp of becoming the winningest team in all of WCBB. We have an excellent chance to win 10 or 11 championships with Breanna Stewart...and we are talking about UConn like it is a has been program... People have got to be kidding me. Basketball recruiting goes in cycles, it is simply the nature of the beast. UConn has had some monster classes...now, it is other programs turn to get some great recruits. We have just experienced the obligatory one person recruiting class that happens from time to time when a team is loaded up for bear and incoming players are concerned about playing time. Next year we will lose Bria and Dolson...the following year KML, Stokes and Banks... There are only 9 roster spots this year...we have three incoming freshmen next year... That means that we lose 5 and gain three...that leaves us with 7 players and a whole lot of room to recruit. Geno and staff know what they are doing...They will recruit to the needs of the team.

All this conference talk...won't mean much when UConn is in the final four the next three years...we have already seen how fickle conference security is...there will be more raiding...UConn is a target and will get offers from other conferences...it is after all about the money and UConn's President and AD will be looking at our options...no one knows what the future will bring. What about all those players who get recruited by a coach they like and WHAM...off to another university goes the coach. What about all the other teams who thought they were going to be playing in one conference and ended up in another...things change...this is college basketball. Players weigh a lot of factors: Coach and staff, playing time, opportunities to go deep into the NCAAs, opportunities to win a national championship, post college opportunities (Olympics, WNBA, Europe), Education, Team Chemistry, TV contracts, locality (how close to home, can mom and dad see them play?), etc...

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Maya, Kelly, Kalana Greene, KML are all 6' or less players who played a lot of time at the 4 on championship teams. The 2002 team did not have a starter above 6'2".

Reaction Score
They have the #2 recruiting class in the country right now and if Wilson signs they will be the #1 class. Tell me what "higher caliber recruit" they need. It is fine to have a disagreeing opinion on topics when you back them up with these little things called FACTS but when you just spew nonsense with nothing whatsoever backing it up you look like a TROLL.

Let's seem them land Wilson then we can talk. My sources in South Carolina tell me she's not leaving the South. This is insider info that I have.

Reaction Score
I'm on this board to talk women's basketball. I'm here to discuss what I feel. If some of you want to take verbal shots at me that's fine and dandy. I seemed to have hit a nerve in some. I don't pull for any one team and I don't have an allegiance to any one team. I am a fan and student of the game. I'm not on this board to make friends or agree to make everyone happy. I'm here to provide all of you with INFORMATION. No harm, no foul. If I look like a Troll then so be it. I've been called worse. If some of you don't believe the conference shakeup won't effect Uconn recruiting then you are in denial. All I am saying is that Geno will have to turn up the heat in recruiting because the conference they are in is just plain awful. Players want to play in the ACC. Uconn wanted badly to get into the ACC without a doubt. If I were Uconn, I would think about going independant. While the non conference schedule will be tough, the conference schedule will be utterly ridiculous and putrid.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm on this board to talk women's basketball. I'm here to discuss what I feel. If some of you want to take verbal shots at me that's fine and dandy. I seemed to have hit a nerve in some. I don't pull for any one team and I don't have an allegiance to any one team. I am a fan and student of the game. I'm not on this board to make friends or agree to make everyone happy. I'm here to provide all of you with INFORMATION. No harm, no foul. If I look like a Troll then so be it. I've been called worse. If some of you don't believe the conference shakeup won't effect Uconn recruiting then you are in denial. All I am saying is that Geno will have to turn up the heat in recruiting because the conference they are in is just plain awful. Players want to play in the ACC. Uconn wanted badly to get into the ACC without a doubt. If I were Uconn, I would think about going independant. While the non conference schedule will be tough, the conference schedule will be utterly ridiculous and putrid.
Elaborate, please, on what "turn up the heat on recruiting" means. You make it sound like Geno and his staff hang out in his office all day, doing nothing.

As for the AAC, the AD and President are working on that, too. When the football team is less pathetic (and you know conference realignment has EVERYTHING to do with football, right?) then more opportunities will be available for UConn to make a move.

Once again, going independent is plain stupid. The two basketball teams are profitable, yes, but don't make nearly enough money to support the soccer teams, track & field, golf, field hockey, etc etc plus pay the AThletc Dept staff and coaches, including Geno's $1.5 million salary. UConn needs football in order to survive and UConn football can't survive as an independent.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over again. That doesn't necessarily make you more right, just the loudest person in the room. Not an auspicious start to establish your credibility to a group of people who don't have the faintest idea who you are.

Reaction Score
Elaborate, please, on what "turn up the heat on recruiting" means. You make it sound like Geno and his staff hang out in his office all day, doing nothing.

As for the AAC, the AD and President are working on that, too. When the football team is less pathetic (and you know conference realignment has EVERYTHING to do with football, right?) then more opportunities will be available for UConn to make a move.

Once again, going independent is plain stupid. The two basketball teams are profitable, yes, but don't make nearly enough money to support the soccer teams, track & field, golf, field hockey, etc etc plus pay the AThletc Dept staff and coaches, including Geno's $1.5 million salary. UConn needs football in order to survive and UConn football can't survive as an independent.

You keep repeating the same thing over and over again. That doesn't necessarily make you more right, just the loudest person in the room. Not an auspicious start to establish your credibility to a group of people who don't have the faintest idea who you are.

Follow me on twitter @Hoopsking1968 You will all then know who I am. I'm not trying to establish any credibility on the board. I'm just here to provide my opinions. Just because you don't like what I have to say doesn't mean I don't know what I'm talking about.

LesMis89

Dedicated Lurker
Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for Hoopsking to reply to DD. You know, favorite player? favorite color?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Being in the Pac 10 hasn't hurt Stanford's recruiting.
Well, 1) it's Stanford. 2) the Pac-12 is better, by a good margin than the AAC.

I agree with the rest of your post though.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The 2002 team did not have a starter above 6'2".
But you had 4 players who could play in the post. 4 players who went on to have WNBA careers. And that was 3 SRs and a R/S FR. (and you had Bird and Taurasi) - not really comparable (as yet).

Maya, Kelly, Kalana Greene, KML are all 6' or less players who played a lot of time at the 4 on championship teams.
Yes and as many noted on here throughout that time, it hurt UCONN to be that short in the post. Not a situation one would look to get into again if possible.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Nonetheless they were able to win championships, Meyers. For at least three more years we have good silled height.that means we have this next class of 2014 and then 2015 to bring in new height. Do I like the present situation, no. Does it make me panic, not at all.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I am a fan and student of the game.
Haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

I I'm here to provide all of you with INFORMATION.
How about some "accurate" information? Now that would be helpful. You know as opposed to opinion.

If I look like a Troll then so be it. I've been called worse.
See, now that seems like some accurate information. ;)
If some of you don't believe the conference shakeup won't effect Uconn recruiting then you are in denial.
Well some of us here think it may. I certain it won't help any. But I don't think it will be overly damaging, at least not while Geno is still around.
I If I were Uconn, I would think about going independant.
Yea, well you see now, that's just stupid. Not gonna happen and shouldn't. Talk about hamstringing yourself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom